Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2022 5:31 PM

Jan 2009
i think this battle shonen is criminally unpopular

its a complete remake that follows the manga from start to finish like Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and there are plenty of sakuga episodes, plus the story is enjoyable, heck i even finished reading the remaining 100 chapters of the manga in just 2 days and i rarely read manga that fast

so why? why is this being overlook or being slept on by new fans? like is there not enough marketing for this show? and how is it doing in japan ratings wise?
Feb 6, 2022 6:11 PM
Apr 2021
Criminally underrated, I personally feel like this battle shonen should be Black Clover level of popularity. I’m hype for March because the official English release of the manga is coming! Also the marketing for this show is pretty ass in my opinion, Crunchyroll over on Twitter doesn’t advertise this show at all which is a shame I don’t know why.
Feb 6, 2022 6:24 PM
Dec 2020
I watched about the first 17 or 18 episodes. I enjoyed it, but I just hate waiting every week for a new episode. I usually wait for a season to finish so I can binge it, but I'll definitely watch the rest of it when it does. I thought it was a lot better than the original.
Feb 6, 2022 7:19 PM
Jul 2020
It probably has a lot to do with Dragon Quest just not being very popular outside Japan
Feb 6, 2022 7:50 PM

Jul 2016
I think is just cause this is an old shounen series, and the fact that a lot of people was throwing shit to this series just because they want another season of Dragon Ball, plus bad marketing I think. Personally, I like this shounen series since I was a child, good memories from this show, I remember seeing the old adaptation of this shounen the Saturdays in the morning when I was 6 or 7 years old, and dubbed in my birth language.
Jun 27, 2022 4:18 AM
Aug 2021
I really don't understand the bad score either.

The story and characters are above average at least.

Good fight and animation, nice pace.

It is above 8 easily, but for some reason, there is plenty of haters here.
Jun 27, 2022 6:07 AM
Jul 2015
Maybe if it had a bigger budget. That way the animation and certain fight scenes would look better. This anime is pretty good though. Love the character development, one of the best I seen in that department.
Jun 29, 2022 3:51 AM
Mar 2016
I felt cringe watching this anime, generic villain's with generic main cast nothing really interesting also characters speeches are cliche
Jun 29, 2022 1:06 PM

Dec 2020
Kcjpunk_01 said:
I felt cringe watching this anime, generic villain's with generic main cast nothing really interesting also characters speeches are cliche

Because you just watched early episodes

This anime has the best shonen vilain developpement ever.
Dai no daibouken is a classic shonen in Japan since 1990 for a reason.

Jun 29, 2022 2:43 PM
Apr 2022
It’s obvious.. because this great legendary story has a lot of haters.. you can even know that by looking at the score .. while it should easily reach 8 ..
And also because of many people don’t have some patience from the first episodes .
Jun 29, 2022 2:49 PM

Dec 2020
Rukawa-dunk said:
It’s obvious.. because this great legendary story has a lot of haters.. you can even know that by looking at the score .. while it should easily reach 8 ..
And also because of many people don’t have some patience from the first episodes .

You're right Rukawa. But i think they are also great trolls.... See their profile and check their favorite anime : HENTAI (and they criticize dialogues lol)
And they put 1/10 on dai no daibouken
I accept people who don't like Dai but giving 1/10 score is childish and mean.

Of course Dai should be 8 for the less
Jun 29, 2022 2:54 PM

Aug 2018
I gave it a try. Very disappointed that it turns out to be just another battle shounen and not a fun epic fantasy adventure which is what I expected a Dragon Quest anime to be.
Jul 2, 2022 2:56 AM

Sep 2013
It already has cult status even if its not popular right now it won't be forgotten in time while other nekketsu have a short life status.
Deep dark fantasies
Jul 2, 2022 3:24 AM

Apr 2011
deg said:
and how is it doing in japan ratings wise?

It's doing fine there. more than 1 million viewers in Kanto
Jul 3, 2022 2:32 PM

May 2018
1) The original story is very old so few people to hype it up.

2) Dragon quest as a series never took off in the West. In Japan however Dragon Quest is basically a cultural phenomenon which is why we have such a based remake.
Jul 3, 2022 3:50 PM

Aug 2017
many people still think they need to have played dragon quest to watch this anime.
Sep 14, 2022 11:10 AM

Feb 2016
I don't understand why this anime is unpopular. The obvious explanation is that few people outside Japan play the Dragon Quest video games, but this reasoning falls apart the more I think about it. A lot of Type Moon fans watch Fate spinoffs without showing any interest in the game that franchise is based on.
その目だれの目?
Sep 14, 2022 11:42 AM

Dec 2020
Let's do a list to explain why it's unpopular :

1) The ones who don't know the manga / or what it is :

- "Dragon quest, no, i don't know this game and i don't care about an anime about it, it's childish anyway"
- "Is that a copy of dragonball ????? He looks like a Sangohan ? No ? I don't care about it"
- "Akira Toriyama, always doing the same shit ...." (Of course it's Riku Sanjo and Koji Inada BUT John Snow knows nothing..."
- " SHIT, because of Dragon quest there's is no Dragon ball super from TOEI, i will boycott it and don't watch"
- " OH ? Dragon quest i watched the begining episodes .... It's very colorfull, full of nice monsters, it's like Pokemon ? It's very childish ? no ?"
- " I watch first episode, CGI, no thanx"
- " I watched first episodes, fights are shit, there is no action, i prefer Jujutsu Kaisen, because Big animation and big fight FTW !" (about good story ?) "don't care about story I WANT FIGHT NOW !"
- " A crocodile man ? No fuck, it's childish..."
- "Episode 2 and 3, This Popp is the worse character EVER, i stop it right now !!!" (AHAH lol)
- "Episode 4 and 5, This Hadlar is the worse antagonist EVER, i stop it right now !!!" (AHAH lol X2)
-"Episode 3 4 5", This Avan is the worst shonen master EVER, he's already dead !!!!!) (AHAHA dumbass people...)
"I have better to watch : MHA, Attack on titans, Jujutsu Kaisen etc." (in fact JJK and Dai begun the same month, remember ?)
"I dont like medieval thing it sucks"

2) The ones who read the manga or watch the old 90's anime :

- "Bouh music are shit , i prefer 90's one, i quit it"
- "Bouh The pacing is too fast i prefered 90 one with 1 tome 15 episodes !!!"
- "Bouh, no blood ? No Nipples ? Fuck !!!!"
- " CGI = Fuck"
- "I prefer 90 drawings and ambiance, goodbye !"
"Too faithfull to the manga...."
"Not enough faithfull to the manga"
"Skills and spells names are not like in original manga SHIT"

===> And they shitstormed the new 2020 version. Giving a bad critic and mood to it....

3) Tastes and times changed

- Today, MHA, Demon slayer, Bleach, Naruto, one piece, one punch man etc. are the shonen stars. People are jerking on Big animation, big fights etc to their point of view Dragon quest dai is a dragonball clone. they don't give it a chance.
Dragonquest takes time to set plot and characters like all old 90 shonens did.
Relationship between all characters are really well written , there is a lot of cliffhanger and twist. Antagonists and Heroes (Hadlar / Popp) have big developpement. all the story is advancing carefully until the final episode/chapter. All big emotional events are built because we learned to love the characters and their bounds.
- Nowaday if your first episodes aren't shocking, full fights, people leaves. They also want something dark or dirty "dark sasuke syndrom lol ?" (Chainsawman, Jujutsu etc)
That's sad because Dai parution was at the same time of Dragonball and a classic shonen in Japan. sometimes it's even better story driven that dragonball ...
Le-ConteurSep 14, 2022 12:20 PM
Sep 16, 2022 11:02 AM

May 2009
Lucifrost said:
I don't understand why this anime is unpopular.

Because none of youtubers shilled it yet.

Le-Conteur said:
- Today, MHA, Demon slayer, Bleach, Naruto, one piece, one punch man etc. are the shonen stars. People are jerking on Big animation, big fights etc to their point of view Dragon quest dai is a dragonball clone. they don't give it a chance

One Punch Man is seinen.
Sep 28, 2022 4:21 PM

Oct 2018
I really like the first episode, and it's been nearly 2 years and I'm still waiting for it to complete so that I can binge it, just 3 more weeks now. It's painful to watch longer anime weekly for me.

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.