Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 28, 2022 4:59 PM

Nov 2011
Holy shit, that jump. Popp merely escaped death but it was still a sad sight to see a friend jump in to make the sacrifice.

An emotional episode imo.
Jan 28, 2022 5:00 PM

Nov 2020
Very good and dramatic episode. I like the new OST at the end very much. Nice details the change to Hyunckel armor in the opening and the reference to the games.
Jan 28, 2022 6:42 PM
Oct 2016
The absolute most gut wrenching scene in the show thus far. Merle sacrificing herself for pop brought tears to my eyes. As soon as she detected Zaboera powering it up along with her thinking how she could be useful to Popp I knew she was about go jump in front of it. But dammit seeing it happen still hurt so much. Thinking she was gonna die right there in Popp arms wrecked me. Popp himself almost screwing up big time not being able to light up the Avan insignia. It looked very dark there for a few minutes with Popp expressing all his misgivings towards being apart of the spell since he couldn't get it working. Popp saying harsh words but I can see where he's coming from, feeling lesser than your peers is a hard thing to deal with. Its not the easiest being at the bottom of the totem poll surrounded by people more exceptional than yourself. Especially the words Maam said to him, not intentionally trying to be hurtful but hearing the person you love say they only basically look up to you and nothing else would be a gut punch on top of the inferiority Popp already feels. Him having the face his fears with courage as Merle last request finally awakening his soul and the insignia. Looked pretty badass going sage mode at the end.
Jan 28, 2022 6:44 PM
Sep 2015
I know I can expect a good episode if it's about Popp, a true protagonist of this anime. I think Popp is the only one in this anime who has two women fallen in love with him (even if one doesn't know her true feeling yet) and he deserves all of that.

Also, the "let's make a tactical retreat" should be a meme. It's funny everytime Popp says it because he'll do something amazing later after that line.
Jan 28, 2022 6:46 PM

Dec 2020
Sastisfying emotional episode (thx to the seiyus)
3 very good new OSTs !
People will love this ! We all love Popp !!!
Jan 28, 2022 6:52 PM
Apr 2021
My freaking jaw dropped to the floor, I can’t believe that just happened. My heart broke because we all knew Merle loved Popp and she just freaking died for him, this was such an emotional episode holy crap.

So my prediction on Popp’s soul power was wrong, it turns out is was courage all along. Popp continues to amaze me, he is the most relatable character for me and his character arc is so well done. His insignia FINALLY glows, I’m hoping he can bring Merle back because that scene broke my heart.

Awesome episode!
Jan 28, 2022 6:55 PM

Jun 2015
I knew I'd get emotional when this was animated. Merle is such a good girl
Jan 28, 2022 6:58 PM

Apr 2014
This episode finally delivers the development Popp needed. Out of all the characters I have seen in action and animated Popp is the one that has a lot of development. He went from being a lazy coward to a powerful mage. However, he still had a lot going on in himself. He had courage to fight and sacrifice, but possibly not being able to express how he feels. Merle gave him the push he needed. This guy had a lot of development compared to many others. From a lazy coward to a worthy supporting powerful mage. Now with Merle giving him the push he needed he now can use Sage magic that the girl Amy felt from him. He now surpassed Matoriv for sure. He can use combat magic spells and healing spells. Aw yeah! X3
Jan 28, 2022 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Popp is always a late bloomer isnt he lol

thanks to Merle he overcome his fear of rejection and tell to the public that he loves Maam

the soul of Popp is about courage and now his insignia glows too

i thought Merle will die but Popp becoming a Sage will heal her now
Jan 28, 2022 9:54 PM

Sep 2018
I've talked about this millions times already but the seiyuus of this remake are too amazing, too incredible! Same level of my #1 anime of all time: Steins;Gate. These two animes have unbelievable voice actors XD
Jan 28, 2022 10:30 PM

Dec 2018
I "hope" Merle stays dead for PxM ship to sail lol

But probably she'll heal with Sage Popp
Jan 28, 2022 11:34 PM

May 2012
If you watch episode 9 (between 3:30 and 5:00), it hints that Popp's word is courage and you even see his insignia glow
thepathJan 29, 2022 12:12 AM
Jan 28, 2022 11:40 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Woah, this episode level of drama just ... *harold face*

Anyway, never expect dat little Zaboera can be that important. Merle jumping up to save Poppu was an obvious trope. But surely the love confession from both after then really shock me to death, even princess Leona get involved in their drama. If only they even showed everyone reaction, not just Maam, it will be perfect xd.

Drastic change from mage to sage, looks like Poppu is about to blow the whole area up....
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 28, 2022 11:42 PM

Nov 2007
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 29, 2022 1:42 AM

Feb 2019
Mannnn I was just thinking to myself how cool it would be if pop ended up with merle somehow instead of maam, and then she goes and fucking dies. Pop hiding his true feelings was preventing him from manifesting his power, but man I wish Merle didn’t get the short end of the stick.
Jan 29, 2022 3:45 AM

Apr 2011
Switch_Z said:
I knew I'd get emotional when this was animated. Merle is such a good girl

I'm not crying, you're crying.
Jan 29, 2022 5:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Dammmmnn that was a great but very tragic episode with Merle's sacrifice and death that lead to Popp's awakening, really emotional episode :(
Jan 29, 2022 5:50 AM

Aug 2020
It’s don’t get how this show is only at 7.13, I give it an 8, it’s so good and Popp especially is a great character, the animation is also great.
Please stop, I don’t want to see any more DekugošŸ˜­
Jan 29, 2022 8:23 AM

Oct 2008
thepath said:
If you watch episode 9 (between 3:30 and 5:00), it hints that Popp's word is courage and you even see his insignia glow

MAN!!! HOW CAN YOU POSSIBLE EXIST?? No one can go THAT back just to turn out to be right! Nice one! A true fan can be seen by their knowledge of the subject, and you seem to be the biggest of them all!
For you, kind Sir, I salute you! O7

Anyway, what an awesome ep! Not just show the powaw of Poop but also one thing that was missing all along in this series, the resolution of his inner conflicts. I'm eager to see what this is turn out to be in the end. Until now everyone was too oblivious about their traits and personalities and "wants", the pendent of love (Maam) didn't know she loved someone, the pendent of Justice was bartering with the "dark side" all way until the last ep, even the Princess doesn't escape. This type of resolution was really needed!

Another thing that I liked in this ep was showing why I never chose the "Mage" class in any RPG/mmo, they are never able to show their full potential. Today Poop shows, at the very end, that a mage can do MAGIC, no matter which form it is they can do it with training and effort. Sadly, that's not a thing in games... Too bad.

For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Jan 29, 2022 8:46 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
I had a feeling that Popp's confession was the key to unlocking his potential, but it also became his emotional anchor that was pulling him down. He finally found the courage to say how he really felt about Maam, too bad it had to take Merle sacrificing her life to bring it out of him. Sage mode Popp has fully awakened.
Jan 29, 2022 8:53 AM

Jul 2015
Basically, Popp's problem is his insecurity and he lacks confidence. He needs to belive in himself.
But he keeps dun goofing.

Jan 29, 2022 9:02 AM

Mar 2016
thepath said:

Bruh, what kind of memory you have?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Jan 29, 2022 11:42 AM
Aug 2020
People slept on this and they are missing a hell of a show that keeps on delivering. This episode gave me the vibes of Popp's megante episode. Amazing, simply amazing
Jan 29, 2022 11:57 AM

Dec 2020
dz_1998 said:
People slept on this and they are missing a hell of a show that keeps on delivering. This episode gave me the vibes of Popp's megante episode. Amazing, simply amazing

It's not over, you will vibe and vibe and vibe until the end. The authors put all their best on this final arc
Jan 29, 2022 1:03 PM

Jun 2011
God i love Popp.. i love how he acknowledged his own flaws, bounced back & developed, yet again.. he's a special character.

Poor Merle :( had to take the bullet tho.
Jan 29, 2022 2:04 PM

Nov 2012
damn!Dragon Quest Book II: A Sage Named Popp
LOL Not a bad title

I had a feeling Dai wasn't courage, but what is he? All of the above?
dragynfaerieJan 29, 2022 2:10 PM
Jan 29, 2022 4:25 PM
May 2018
I don't like that they're afraid to kill off any character. Hyunckel came back from the dead like 5 times and now Merle will be miraculously saved.
Jan 29, 2022 5:25 PM

Feb 2021
This episode was bloody amazing. Popp used to be my least favorite of Avan's disciples, but now i admire him a lot. I love in anime when they give the underdog a chance to shine.

When he says "you shouldn´t sacrifice for someone like me!" and then he starts to glow and becomes a sage, simply epic. Respect for Popp.
Jan 29, 2022 9:08 PM

Oct 2008
oh nice! finally it takes someone to die until Popp gets useful!
4/5.

Jan 30, 2022 4:58 PM
Aug 2020
Le-Conteur said:
dz_1998 said:

It's not over, you will vibe and vibe and vibe until the end. The authors put all their best on this final arc

I haven't read it but I do get this feeling. Every episode it gets Better. Really looking forward to the end
Jan 31, 2022 4:08 AM

Jun 2019
Amazing episode, had me in bits, you go Popp. Can't believe how much he's changed since the clownish guy we met at the beginning of the show.
Jan 31, 2022 8:39 PM

Jul 2015
Holy fuck what an emotional packed ep! I cried a lot and that last scene !! Goosebumps!!
Jan 31, 2022 10:07 PM

Nov 2018
Man it had been a while since the show made me tear up a bit. I've always liked both Popp and the adorable girl Merle and now seeing the next step in their arc is just so amazing.
GRAYLIGHTNINGFeb 1, 2022 1:08 PM
Feb 3, 2022 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
Easily the best episode of Dragon Quest imo!!
And what a character development for popp, I never thought that I'll say this to any dragon quest character but popp made me say this to him, that is "Popp is GOAT"!!
And what an amazing voice acting by Popp & Merle's voice actors!!
5/5 episode, and best so far!!
Feb 4, 2022 4:02 PM

Feb 2021
BTW, I think Popp is a fool. I mean, Merle is much prettier than Maam. just saying.
Feb 19, 2022 7:17 AM
Oct 2019
Merle VA Konomi Kohara really nailed the scene, it's so emotional...

I swear if they killed of best girl Merle, I'm gonna be pissed.
Feb 21, 2022 7:15 PM

Feb 2014
Dang, love confession in the middle of a very dramatic moment.
Mar 13, 2022 8:54 AM

Jun 2015
Its about f'ing time!! Pooooooooppppp!
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 12, 2022 9:18 AM

Mar 2010
I"m crying. Damn my boi is all grown up. It only took a near death experience but it is what it is.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 4, 2022 2:25 AM

Sep 2018
Definitely the best episode yet, and by a fair margin I'd say. Pretty emotional scenes. How fitting for Popp, he's come a long way. Yeah, he's had setbacks and moments of weakness, but he inevitably comes through it. Enjoyable (albeit, sometimes frustrating) character.

More topics from this board

» NEW ANIME PROJECT CONFIRMED

SOSYBOI - Mar 11, 2023

12 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:53 AM

Poll: » Choose the best arc(s) in Dai no Daibouken!

DragonKnight92 - Oct 21, 2022

10 by Illyricus »»
Apr 8, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 32 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14, 2021

35 by Teirayo »»
Mar 30, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 2, 2020

132 by MonkeyDKyle »»
Mar 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (2020) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 27, 2020

50 by Teirayo »»
Mar 27, 7:05 AM
Itā€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.