Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 25, 2022 4:12 PM

Dec 2009
For anyone who's unaware, To My Father and the Person in His Reminiscences is a Short Story Sequel to I Want To Eat Your Pancreas.

I never read the novel, but the manga and anime later instead, so I can't compare it to the original prequel.
I was expecting something more or something different. It's really good, but I was anticipating a long telltale of Sakura from Hiraki to his daughter, but instead it was a interesting ride of mystery to end with a beautiful lesson. 7/10.

The story starts with Hiraki's daugther, Fuyumi, with her childhood friend Anzu (daughter of Kyouko, who's blunt like her mother) tailing her father, suspecting him of cheating on her mother by hearing him speak to a girl on the phone in a gentle voice that she isn't used to, using -chan.
Which we later learn is the niece of Sakura, from her older brother's side. I don't remember her mentioning a sibling, but no matter.

As they somewhat confront her father, (with Anzu already knowing of Sakura but never having told Fuyumi either) she questions her father.
He tells her his story with Sakura ...which is simply mentioned without detail, except for a few questions and answers from Fuyumi to Haruki.
One in particular that's unclear is his answer of “We weren’t friends. Nor were we lovers or family. We got along – so she would say, but I feel like something about that was off too.”

I personally always believed that, even though they were good friends, or rather great acquaintances from her description, they would have become lovers.
Although, maybe they simply cared strongly for each other. His answer is odd...

Although, he reassures his daughter, regarding his life, that “Right now, is the best.”
What he cherishes for the most right now; is her mother and her.

What he learned from Sakura is to treasure what he wants to do in his life, which is why he didn't become a doctor or let her death weigh his life.
That discussion taught Fuyumi to try the same, by living happily of what she wants, and stop dating chill/scummy guys.
Which I think she was attracted to because they resembled her father- "fathercon" as Anzu teased her. Unfortunately those chill guys were scum, unlike her father.

From hating her "ordinary" life and representation of that, her "ordinary" father, essentially boring ... she then learned that his father isn't "boring", but is at peace with his simple life, along with his daughter and wife.
The self-awareness of her immaturity, with Anzu being a vocalist of it to then see how things develop and to what she learns in the end was all solid in execution.

I originally thought I would have liked to experience this in manga at least... it'd be nice in anime as well, but... it's so short that I guess I don't mind never getting an adaption of it.
Except his description of his relationship with her is still a little bewildering, but I do believe they loved each other.
waalex11Jul 22, 2022 11:22 PM

More topics from this board

» chapter 3: i want to eat your pancreas

maxime_sama - Apr 2, 2023

0 by maxime_sama »»
Apr 2, 2023 12:46 PM

Poll: » Kimi no Suizou wo Tabetai Chapter 1 Discussion

KiR4T - Feb 3, 2022

0 by KiR4T »»
Feb 3, 2022 7:12 AM

» Will be published in Brazil by NewPOP

KietaTeenRomance - Jan 30, 2022

0 by KietaTeenRomance »»
Jan 30, 2022 1:16 PM

» Novel Pending Approval

Adadd - Aug 6, 2019

8 by Itsumo_Issho »»
Dec 7, 2021 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.