Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 22, 2022 2:11 PM
Apr 2019
I completed after story today and didn't understand the ending,so i watched a YouTube video to understand it, but the person was saying that people were calling the ending an ass trope. He said that people were complaining of a forced

https://youtu.be/YE_xiK2a3sc

The ending is well explained here, so anyone in same boat as me can watch.
Jan 22, 2022 2:25 PM
Mar 2021
I think it’s a so-so ending. I don’t disagree with the concept but it felt a little sudden. I would say I like it more than I dislike it though. I think it’s executed better in the VN
Jan 22, 2022 2:32 PM
Jan 2021
I thought the ending was really well thought out. It wasn’t forced but I love endings like that to where it completely different from how you think it will end. It makes sense that the whole shows plot device uses “dreams” or dream-like states. Ending is the same way
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jan 22, 2022 3:13 PM
Jan 2021
Honestly, it did seem like it was going to have that ending, especially if u watch it the second time. He starts imagining how the pregnancy would go, but never showed him coming back down to earth. I though it was good
Jan 22, 2022 5:16 PM
Jan 2021
I love then ending and the show wouldn't be complete without it. Those who payed attention know that the whole show was building up to it, with the orbs of light, and the girl and the robot, and kotomis parents research and probably other stuff
Jan 22, 2022 5:45 PM
Feb 2021
I mean it’s a VN adaptation obviously they went with the happy ending so I’m happy with it
Jan 22, 2022 5:45 PM
Feb 2021
I mean it’s a VN adaptation obviously they went with the happy ending so I’m happy with it
Jan 22, 2022 5:48 PM
Dec 2020
i may be the first to say this in this thread but i didn’t like the ending. I personally would have preferred if it ended with Tomoya finally becoming a father for Ushio because with the whole alternate world thing it makes all of his experience and growth kind of pointless.

Also it would have been cool if it ended with Tomoya saying goodbye to Ushio on her first day of highschool while she walks up “the hill”
Jan 22, 2022 7:20 PM
Oct 2020
It can’t be a forced ending or deus ex machina if it’s a complete and true adaptation. Clannad comes from a visual novel and this is the true ending. Kyoto Animation did a wonderful job of adapting it. Tomoya still retains all of his memories so his character growth is not altered in any way, and the ending actually completes his arc wonderfully (as it finishes with him discovering the meaning of life!). I have absolutely no issues with the ending from a logical, character, or storytelling standpoint.
Jan 22, 2022 8:51 PM

Jul 2021
i didnt like the ending which made after story go from 10/10 to 9/10 for me
Before the ending clannad after story was showing about tragedy of real life then suddenly the ending was a magical happy ending like what!?
Jan 22, 2022 8:58 PM
May 2021
I misclicked, I actually love the ending for this series a lot.
Jan 22, 2022 10:01 PM

Jan 2020
Bruh giving the poll a different question than the title is very confusing it made me vote the wrong answer
Jan 22, 2022 10:21 PM
Mar 2020
The few episodes before the last were probably the peak of Clannad, but to be honest the finale really ruined the ending. I'll have to agree on what the complaints said
Jan 23, 2022 9:03 AM

Nov 2019
I personally think it’s a good ending. Not the best ending out of any anime, but a good one. If
didn’t exist, I would say it’s a forced ending. It makes sense because of the constant buildup and the viewer probably asking themselves, “What does this have to do with the story?”

EDIT: Forgot to mention this, but a friend of mine watched the show and said that a more emotional ending would be if
TempestoGodJan 23, 2022 9:08 AM
Jan 23, 2022 5:21 PM
Sep 2014
LittleBite said:
i may be the first to say this in this thread but i didn’t like the ending. I personally would have preferred if it ended with Tomoya finally becoming a father for Ushio because with the whole alternate world thing it makes all of his experience and growth kind of pointless.

IMO Tomoya meeting his grandmother with Nagisa and Ushio implies that he has somehow learned about his father’s errors (reminiscing of the alternate timeline?) or at least will understand thanks to her. I don’t considerate his character development as lost because of the good ending, quite the opposite.
Jan 24, 2022 12:43 AM

Jan 2021
I think that fuko scene in the ending fixed everything could go wrong, so it was a perfect ending for me.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did i become a boomer or new seasonals animes are not hitting the spot anymore ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 30, 2022 4:56 AM

Jul 2021
I hate the ending! Before i watched the final episode I am willing to give clannad a 9 or maybe 10/10, But seeing that ending really ruined it! After the Major events happen in episode 16 when Nagisa Died. The series is exploring REAL life story of about a father raising her daughter without its mother. But suddenly at the final episode It became TOO MAGICAL!

Yeah I know it kinda implied the magical wishing Ball, But come on why not just Heal the Daughter of her sickness??? it more believable than Going in the Steins Gate Ending!

The Ending Ruined the series!
Jul 30, 2022 5:01 AM

Aug 2018
RjtheGreat14 said:
I hate the ending! Before i watched the final episode I am willing to give clannad a 9 or maybe 10/10, But seeing that ending really ruined it! After the Major events happen in episode 16 when Nagisa Died. The series is exploring REAL life story of about a father raising her daughter without its mother. But suddenly at the final episode It became TOO MAGICAL!

Yeah I know it kinda implied the magical wishing Ball, But come on why not just Heal the Daughter of her sickness??? it more believable than Going in the Steins Gate Ending!

respectfully disagree. The entire show is the best iteration they could possibly do of a multi-route VN. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions and you can't just leave out the good ending. Not after people who actually played the game worked so hard to unlock it. It's an essential part of the experience.
Jul 30, 2022 5:12 AM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
RjtheGreat14 said:

respectfully disagree. The entire show is the best iteration they could possibly do of a multi-route VN. It's a rollercoaster ride of emotions and you can't just leave out the good ending. Not after people who actually played the game worked so hard to unlock it. It's an essential part of the experience.

Im not against about the Good Ending, My problem is with the Steins Gate ending they ruined the main message of this anime.

Like I said, after Nagisa Died it seems the message of the Anime is leaning to telling about REAL life Story about a Father struggles to raise her Daughter. And Again why not just the magical orb just Heal her daughter??? Its more believable!
Jul 30, 2022 5:33 AM

Aug 2018
RjtheGreat14 said:
epidemia78 said:

Im not against about the Good Ending, My problem is with the Steins Gate ending they ruined the main message of this anime.

Like I said, after Nagisa Died it seems the message of the Anime is leaning to telling about REAL life Story about a Father struggles to raise her Daughter. And Again why not just the magical orb just Heal her daughter??? Its more believable!

Well you're not wrong. It is about a father struggling to raise his daughter. Clannad is about a lot of things. It's basically a collection of short stories after all. But yeah the ending does have a semi-logical explanation and it was foreshadowed since literally the very first scene in episode 1.
Jul 30, 2022 5:44 AM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
RjtheGreat14 said:

Well you're not wrong. It is about a father struggling to raise his daughter. Clannad is about a lot of things. It's basically a collection of short stories after all. But yeah the ending does have a semi-logical explanation and it was foreshadowed since literally the very first scene in episode 1.

I understand how the Steins Gate ending of clannad happen, Its Because of those magical wishing orb. Each time the MC help other people those magical orb shows up and if he manage to collect enough magical orb they can grant a wish.

I just hate the fact that it seems all the episode after Nagisa Death was just a waste of time. Sure the MC regain those memories but this is not steins gate.
Jul 30, 2022 6:06 AM

Aug 2018
RjtheGreat14 said:
epidemia78 said:

I understand how the Steins Gate ending of clannad happen, Its Because of those magical wishing orb. Each time the MC help other people those magical orb shows up and if he manage to collect enough magical orb they can grant a wish.

I just hate the fact that it seems all the episode after Nagisa Death was just a waste of time. Sure the MC regain those memories but this is not steins gate.

No actually what happens is that Ushio uses the one orb she gained when she helped heal her fathers heart to go to the illusionary world where she can gather up an untold number of orbs to create the alternate universe where Nagisa survives. Tomoya does not retain the memories as this is a new reality and a different version of Tomoya.

The ending was already hinted at during Kotomi's story arc when the many strangers she's never met does a small act of kindness resulting in her eventually getting the briefcase her parents left behind.
Jul 30, 2022 4:11 PM

Jul 2021
epidemia78 said:
RjtheGreat14 said:

No actually what happens is that Ushio uses the one orb she gained when she helped heal her fathers heart to go to the illusionary world where she can gather up an untold number of orbs to create the alternate universe where Nagisa survives. Tomoya does not retain the memories as this is a new reality and a different version of Tomoya.

The ending was already hinted at during Kotomi's story arc when the many strangers she's never met does a small act of kindness resulting in her eventually getting the briefcase her parents left behind.

In the last few scene its hinted that tomoya regain his memories in that timeline.
Aug 11, 2022 7:42 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
I didn't understand the ending either and now I do after being explained by someone, and I still see this as an forced ending.
It's not a good sign that the ending is outworldly that it has to be explained to someone who never played the VN.

I watched this anime expecting pure Slice of Life not dragon ball stuff.

Still a pretty good show, I would've scored this 10/10 if not for that sudden dragon ball happy ending.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Aug 12, 2022 4:50 PM
Aug 2022
I don't love the ending but I don't hate it either. I just kind of accept it. I had to go online to understand what the hell I just watched since at the time it made no sense to me. My problem I guess was I was expecting a sad ending ending so it took me off guard when they went full blown happing ending with it. Still a fantastic show though that could've maybe been a 10/10 with a better ending.

More topics from this board

» Hopefully this isn't annoying

Ricdumb - Apr 10

3 by Ricdumb »»
Apr 20, 6:25 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

angel999 - Oct 23, 2008

319 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 14, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Davison - Oct 16, 2008

260 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 8, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kiseki - Oct 2, 2008

347 by KingOfPneumos »»
Apr 7, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Clannad ~After Story~ Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

patient_senses - Mar 12, 2009

1168 by Chilicon_valley »»
Mar 10, 8:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.