Forum Settings
Forums

Dark Mode and Anime List Cover Art Resize

New
Jan 17, 2022 1:25 AM
Dec 2018
As the title suggest, I have two recommendations that would significantly improve MAL's UI.

Firstly, I recommend adding a dark mode. I am not a web designer by any means, but I can't imagine this is the most difficult thing to add. And even if it is, it would certainly be worth the effort. Yes there are some third party extensions that do this, but I do not trust these and/or they do not work flawlessly.

Secondly, I would recommend resizing the cover art for anime when viewing them in the anime list. When viewing your anime list, the cover art for the anime is extremely small and there is a lot of wasted space to the left and right of the list. This space could be used for much larger cover art, making it more clear which anime I'm looking at since I don't remember most of the Japanese names (or english for that matter) of shows on my list. This could also be implemented as a customization setting, allowing users to choose how to structure their lists.

The addition of these two straightforward changes would do a lot to improve the site without requiring massive UI changes. I personally like how simple the UI for MAL is, it just lacks a few of the quality of life features of other sites.

Jan 17, 2022 1:38 AM

Nov 2019
Dark mode is not coming around for a while, it's been addressed several times over the past 10 years. There are some nice user created extensions that have dark-mode for MAL though
Jan 17, 2022 1:47 AM
Dec 2018
Why not?
Jan 17, 2022 4:52 AM

Jan 2021
Dark mode on mal would be nice addition, don't see it happening soon though
Jan 17, 2022 11:55 AM
Dec 2018
Why tho? It seems like such an obvious addition, only reason I can think of as to why they wouldnt add it is because the website is so old it would require revamping lots of things for it to work. But even this doesn't make much sense to me. I'm no expert but I can't imagine adding dark mode to a site is some novel highly complex code that requires massive overhaul to implement.
Jan 18, 2022 1:37 AM

Feb 2010
Adding dark mode is normally easy with many ways to do it, and we've offered to help them with it for free many times, but afaik in this case it's not easy for MyAnimeList because of backend work required. However dark mode is being worked on by devs and should come eventually. Although due to the apparent difficulty and time needed, others site improvements were put ahead of it. So for now everyone has to use a dark mode extension
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1948314

For big covers on lists, we have this in way because the anime pages have big covers which we use in custom layouts like VL's are good
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1499058#msg62601160
So it is possible, but I think they don't want to make big covers a standard thing because they didn't add them to modern in 2016 when they had the chance, although they added small thumbnails then... I guess they didn't want the bandwidth consumption required for big covers on hundreds of thousands of lists at that time. I agree that big covers on the default lists would be nice tho.

Oct 15, 2022 5:29 PM

Jan 2019
You can use my dark theme for Stylish: http://adfoc.us/74644385243393
Oct 15, 2022 7:34 PM

Aug 2016
i've been using this browser extension https://darkreader.org/ if you need a fix for now till they add a dark mode i guess.

More topics from this board

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - 12 hours ago

3 by traed »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» @ sign spam/attack

kuroneko99 - Apr 16

3 by Jhiday »»
Apr 17, 11:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.