Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia' Gets TV Anime, Live-Action Movie

New
Jan 11, 2022 8:04 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Publishing company Shogakukan announced both a television anime adaptation and a live-action movie for Makoto Ojiro's Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (Insomniacs After School) manga on Wednesday.

Ojiro began drawing the slice of life school manga in Big Comic Spirits in May 2019. Shogakukan published the eighth volume on Wednesday (pictured).

Synopsis
It all started with the death of one of the Astronomy Club's members. From this, the rumored ghost of the club came to life.

Grumpy insomniac Ganta Nakami stumbles across the moderately rebellious yet easygoing Isaki Magari in the Astronomy Club's abandoned observatory. Magari is jolted awake and tries to escape from the scene, only to have a broken door prevent that, forcing the two inside. The two forge an unlikely friendship, leading them to use the observatory as a safe space for them to interact.

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia follows the insomniacs Nakami and Magari's time in the starlit observatory as they help each other cope with insomnia and the lasting effects it has on student life. [Written by MAL Rewrite]

Shogakukan posted a special animated promotional video commemorating the release of the seventh volume last October.

Special PV

Manga official page: https://bigcomicbros.net/work/6437/

Source: Comic Natalie

Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia on MAL
VindstotJan 12, 2022 8:55 AM

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 11, 2022 8:05 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Figured it was bound to happen with its MAL high average score (8.44 atm)... oh well, at least the industry finally noticed something interesting for once and the PV genuinely looks great! Seriously, who's the studio behind this??

Gonna keep an eye out for further info, the little I've read of this manga was pretty chill.
Jan 11, 2022 8:12 PM

Jul 2017
I feel rewarded after putting up with a lot of trashy anime to get to the potential treasure with a series like this. I loved this manga from when the first chapter dropped and admire Makoto Ojiro's works in general. She deserved one of them to get an anime and I'm glad its this one. Hopefully it turns out well in the long run, and I can actually be excited for a future new anime project now!

Next step is for this to be licensed and released physically in English in the future. Would love to collect this series.
Jan 11, 2022 8:12 PM
Feb 2021
A manga by Ojiro Makoto is finally getting an anime. I have to catch up with this PEAK soon.
That PV was 2 months ago and it looks amazing. Hope the staff and studio behind that PV is also the anime staff.
Might watch the live action as well. One of a few manga out there that is perfect for a live action.
Jan 11, 2022 8:16 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
animejas said:
Next step is for this to be licensed and released physically in English in the future. Would love to collect this series.
I'm sure the original manga will get an English release if the anime gets picked up by English streaming services and does well. :)
Jan 11, 2022 8:19 PM

Mar 2017
Have been waiting for an anime adaptation for too long. I really like the manga. The special PV is a promotional manga PV but i hope it's actually the anime PV because it just looks great and fitting!
Jan 11, 2022 8:21 PM

May 2020
OMG YES! The manga's atmosphere and art are amazing in my opinion. I'm really excited to see how this might look animated!
Don't mind me,
just passing by...
Jan 11, 2022 8:23 PM

Jul 2019
Actual fucking good news. This is good anime I've been waiting for.
Jan 11, 2022 8:29 PM

Oct 2017
Great news, looking forward to it.
Jan 11, 2022 8:33 PM

Feb 2019
I have enjoyed author's previous works, so i hope it would be good.
Jan 11, 2022 8:34 PM

Feb 2019
Looks great. The manga has been on my PTR for a while now. Guess I'll just wait for the adaptation then.
Jan 11, 2022 8:40 PM

Apr 2019
Hell yeah! Pretty stoked about this.
arcticmontysJan 11, 2022 8:53 PM
Jan 11, 2022 9:09 PM

Jul 2021
Please tell me this is some good romance or teenagers lives or something because the trailer already piqued my interest and I'll start reading the manga
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Jan 11, 2022 9:40 PM

Apr 2015
Oh nice! I've heard good things about this manga and was planning on reading it sooner or later, but I guess I'll wait until the anime adaptation comes out instead. Hopefully the actual show will look as great as the special PV is.

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Jan 11, 2022 9:48 PM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
YAY! I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS! Also very curious as to who the studio, staff, and voice actors will be!
p r o f i l e 👀
Jan 11, 2022 9:51 PM

May 2020
Woah finally it got one too, genuinely looking forward.
Jan 11, 2022 10:30 PM

Aug 2018
Wooo finally! Thought it would get an adaptation after that PV but glad to see it actually announced
_______I like rocks__
Jan 11, 2022 10:47 PM

Mar 2020
Fario-P said:
Figured it was bound to happen with its MAL high average score (8.44 atm)... oh well, at least the industry finally noticed something interesting for once and the PV genuinely looks great! Seriously, who's the studio behind this??

Gonna keep an eye out for further info, the little I've read of this manga was pretty chill.

The PV was done as a celebration of a manga Volume release, it’s not tied to the anime adaptation
Jan 11, 2022 10:48 PM

Mar 2020
CQLLIST said:
Please tell me this is some good romance or teenagers lives or something because the trailer already piqued my interest and I'll start reading the manga

Yes, it’s probably the best SoL romance out there
Jan 11, 2022 11:07 PM

Aug 2020
I wanna cry hahahaha
Goddamnit FINALLY !! Finally we get a makoto ojiro manga anime adaptation . After releasing so many great works as well ......

The direction is gonna play a big role here , because the mangaka tells their story mostly through their images ,( and they are exceptional at it as well ) which is what makes them so good . Dialogues are scarce , so how the silent scenes are approached and played out will determine the outcome of the scene . Very interested to see how this plays out

I bet CWs is picking this up . Either way I simply cannot wait .
TweedleDaneJan 12, 2022 4:31 AM
Jan 12, 2022 12:16 AM

Apr 2012
I'm happy with live action, but wasn't the anime announced last year?
Jan 12, 2022 12:28 AM

Nov 2018
I can't believe my eyes. This is some damn good news.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Jan 12, 2022 12:52 AM

Sep 2013
I like the manga, so I hope it'll get a good treatment for adaptation.
Jan 12, 2022 1:09 AM

Mar 2015
one of best romance SOL in recent year. can't wait.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jan 12, 2022 1:35 AM
Jul 2021
Really Cant wait for the release.

Let's just hope that the animation is good as the manga
Jan 12, 2022 2:56 AM
Apr 2020
Can't wait to see Makoto Ojiro Drawings in animated, those are some masterpiece! And I loved how they made the story so natural and so easy going. No overly dramatic storyline. Definitely looking forward to.
Jan 12, 2022 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
woah all the comments here are positive, gonna give this manga a read and watch the anime
Jan 12, 2022 5:42 AM

Oct 2010
from the creator of fujiyama-san wa shishunki, this anime should be great
Jan 12, 2022 5:44 AM

Jun 2020
Let's Gooo!

This will have minimal dialogues so the animation and soundtrack will carry the show a lot of the time. Hoping the production value is good. The trailer looks promising. I am really looking forward to this.
Jan 12, 2022 5:46 AM

Dec 2020
anime adaptation AND live action movie. damn they be winningggg absolutely deserved tho
Jan 12, 2022 5:53 AM

Feb 2020
Looks interesting, i will check it out. Though i wonder if this is the case where one of them is the ghost (dead person)
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Jan 12, 2022 5:53 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This is probably gonna be a definite hit given how high the manga score is already

Not sure how I feel about the synopsis but I won't judge it until I watch the entire thing once it comes out
Jan 12, 2022 8:59 AM

Oct 2015
the manga actually received awards or well sold well during its release i dont remember which but it made me read it 2 years ago so it was bound to happen. I'm glad it did, it's a pretty cute manga
Jan 12, 2022 9:13 AM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
Tendo_GM said:
Fario-P said:

The PV was done as a celebration of a manga Volume release, it’s not tied to the anime adaptation
Ah, I see... well, doesn't change the fact that it's a good-looking trailer for a manga that honestly kinda deserves some love.
Jan 12, 2022 9:40 AM

Mar 2020
Fario-P said:
Tendo_GM said:

Ah, I see... well, doesn't change the fact that it's a good-looking trailer for a manga that honestly kinda deserves some love.

Yea, it does look pretty good.
I hope that the anime ends up on the same level and gets a good studio
Jan 12, 2022 1:42 PM

Apr 2018
Heard great stuff about the manga so I'll start reading it.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Jan 12, 2022 2:56 PM

Aug 2010
Hmmm it's a series that would only work with good directing and visuals so I don't know what to feel yet. Nice to hear it gets a live action adaptation though.
Jan 12, 2022 7:44 PM

Sep 2020
Japanese Live Action sucks. Excited for the anime hope it turns out to be great.
Jan 12, 2022 8:45 PM
Jul 2009
ZXEAN said:
Japanese Live Action sucks. Excited for the anime hope it turns out to be great.

Ningen no Jouken, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Tokyo Story, Kwaidan, Ran, 13 Assassins and Shoplifters would like to talk to you. Don't talk like you know about about Japanese cinema when all you've watched is some poorly made manga adaptations. Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest movie ever made even by director like Scorsese. Ever heard of Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kobayashi or Koreeda? No? Then shut up
Koshi_InabaJan 12, 2022 9:10 PM
Jan 12, 2022 9:20 PM

Sep 2020
Koshi_Inaba said:
ZXEAN said:

Ningen no Jouken, Seven Samurai, Rashomon, Tokyo Story, Kwaidan, Ran, 13 Assassins and Shoplifters would like to talk to you. Don't talk like you know about about Japanese cinema when all you've watched is some poorly made manga adaptations. Tokyo Story is considered one of the greatest movie ever made even by director like Scorsese. Ever heard of Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Kobayashi or Koreeda? No? Then shut up
Why are you getting triggered !? If you like Japanese Live Action it's fine it doesn't mean everyone should. Moreover there will always be some exceptions in every media I might find something enjoyable who knows.
Jan 12, 2022 9:22 PM
Jul 2009
ZXEAN said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Why are you getting triggered !? If you like Japanese Live Action it's fine it doesn't mean everyone should. Moreover there will always be some exceptions in every media I might find something enjoyable who knows.

I don't care if you don't like the Japanese movies that YOU'VE WATCHED, but when you're generalizing Japanese movies like that, you're dissing people who made huge contributions to world cinema since the 1950s. Yeah, it's useless arguing with a know-nothing-know-it-all like you. Probably never watched any of the movies I mentioned, anyway. Just so you know, many of movies I mention becomes influential in world cinemas, Including France and Hollywood.
Koshi_InabaJan 12, 2022 9:28 PM
Jan 12, 2022 9:30 PM

Sep 2020
Koshi_Inaba said:
ZXEAN said:

I don't care if you don't like the Japanese movies that YOU'VE WATCHED, but when you're generalizing Japanese movies like that, you're dissing people who made huge contributions to world cinema since the 1950s. Yeah, it's useless arguing with a know-nothing-know-it-all like you. Probably never watched any of the movies I mentioned, anyway. Just so know, many of movies I mention becomes influential in world cinemas, Including France and Hollywood.
Damm !!!! this guy is annoying asf. I didn't even watched all anime classic that doesn't mean I can't give any opinion on anime. For what I have seen Japanese Live action is noting but a cosplay mess.
ZXEANJan 12, 2022 9:35 PM
Jan 12, 2022 9:35 PM
Jul 2009
ZXEAN said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

I don't care if you don't like the Japanese movies that YOU'VE WATCHED, but when you're generalizing Japanese movies like that, you're dissing people who made huge contributions to world cinema since the 1950s. Yeah, it's useless arguing with a know-nothing-know-it-all like you. Probably never watched any of the movies I mentioned, anyway. Just so know, many of movies I mention becomes influential in world cinemas, Including France and Hollywood.
Damm bro this guy is annoying asf. I didn't even watched all anime classic that doesn't mean I can't give any opinion on anime. For what I have seen Japanese Live action is noting but a cosplay mess.

"Nothing but cosplay mess"
Yup, only watched the crappy manga adaptation ones, not the actual major movies or even the well-made manga adaptation ones. Yeah, watching the crappy ones makes you an expert in Japanese movies, sure. None of the movies I've mentioned are "cosplay mess". You do realize there are movies where Japanese actors dress normally right? Or period dramas where the costumes are actually good? Like Ran, 13 Assassins, the Kingdom live action adaptation. No wait, of course you don't lol.
Koshi_InabaJan 12, 2022 9:39 PM
Jan 12, 2022 9:37 PM

Sep 2020
Koshi_Inaba said:
ZXEAN said:
Damm bro this guy is annoying asf. I didn't even watched all anime classic that doesn't mean I can't give any opinion on anime. For what I have seen Japanese Live action is noting but a cosplay mess.

Yup, only watched the crappy manga adaptation ones, not the actual major movies or even the well-made manga adaptation ones.
Yaa when I will watch those my opinion will surely change as of now for me Japanese Live action sucks.
Jan 13, 2022 5:36 AM
Jul 2009
ZXEAN said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

Yup, only watched the crappy manga adaptation ones, not the actual major movies or even the well-made manga adaptation ones.
Yaa when I will watch those my opinion will surely change as of now for me Japanese Live action sucks.

As for now, you're still a know-nothing-know-it-all with very little knowledge in Japanese CINEMA. Then again, considering your age, not surprised. Widen your range first before acting like a big shot. Also, most Japanese movies are movies about normal people, so no, the problem is not with Japanese cinema, it's YOU and your narrow knowledge.
Koshi_InabaJan 13, 2022 5:42 AM
Jan 13, 2022 5:40 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
ZXEAN said:
Some, not all do

The Rurouni Kenshin films as of recent are fucking fantastic for example
Jan 13, 2022 1:45 PM
Oct 2019
The manga is great and the PV looked pretty good, so i'm expecting some peak stuff. Very excited^^
Jan 13, 2022 8:06 PM

Jul 2017
Finished the manga to its latest serialization, and awaiting the anime.
Jan 16, 2022 3:29 AM

Nov 2009
OMG!! Amazing news!!
Love it so muuuch
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
5 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 11 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
7 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 9 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
9 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
9 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.