Forum Settings
Forums

Character analysis of eren and his drive for freedom (and why he's ruined in 139)

Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 4, 2022 7:37 PM
Dec 2020
For eren, freedom is that sight in 131. That moment, the freedom panel, was the culmination of all his motivations. Why was the sight (freedom panel) in 131 the moment where he was free? Because even in s1 he said „the person who see these lands must be the most free person in the world“ but these sights are filled with humans. Erens freedom is a selfish and negative one (not childish). He wasn’t disappointed because armins book wasn’t real. He was disappointed,because the meaning behind that wasn’t the same.These sights are filled with normal human beings like him and he can’t be free until they all die and nobody can orpress him,his urge of freedom and his birthright. He rumbled the world because it was necessary to save eldia.“it’s more than That“ means that he did it also for himself. The rumbling was necessary and he had to do it because paradise can’t survive otherwise, BUT he hates himself and said he’s even worse than Reiner because in the end, he didn’t reached out to the rumbling only because paradise can be save (which is still his goal) but deep down, because he wants to do that.
Just like in s1, he wanted to wipe out the titans to free humanity inside the wall but ALSO because he himself wanted to be free (seeing the sights from armins book).
that’s why he was sad at the ocean,because the meaning behind the ocean wasn’t the same anymore.There are humans who want him dead. When eren in 121 said „I was always like this, if someone tries to steal my freedom,I won’t hesitate to take theirs“, it isn’t the same like 139 when he said „I don’t know, But I wanted to do it, I had to“ like ending defenders are saying. He was born like that if someone wants to take away his birthright, he wasn’t born like that that he would always rumble the world just because „it’s in his nature“. The freedom panel in 131 portrayed his child-self because his child self was dreaming about these sights together with armin when they were kids and that was showcased here. That’s why he is disappointed that humanity outside the walls survived. He didn’t apologized to ramzi just because he always wanted to rumble the world. He is disappointed that instead of his ideal freedom (armins book), humanity lived there who wanted him dead. I give you that if eren in the freedom panel wasn't free, then we WOULD finally be free if he completes the rumbling. The "everyone is a slave to something" is a characterization from Kenny and his past people. to say eren cant gain freedom and was just a slave to himself, makes the story that is about freedom/slavery pointless. So eren would be free if humanity outside the wall would be wiped out completely.
139 took all his nuance and destroyed his character.
yaegerist-15Jan 5, 2022 1:45 AM
Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue
Jan 6, 2022 3:42 AM
Dec 2019
I personily think you are heavily misinterpreting 131. (Which i can understand, after months of reading analysis i can barely repeat it without looking into other threads)

He isn't truly free because: He takes his child form which is symbolic of ignorance, something he himself stated as being the thing furthest removed from freedom. We see his real head at the end of 131, eyes closed to the horrors he’s inflicting, further emphasising this ignorance. It looks like he’s flying but he’s actually on top of titan smoke and below clouds (symbolically trapped), where the titan smoke blocks his view of both the sites he actually equates to freedom and of the deaths below (further ignorance). (credits to this take to cactuzzshash on twitter).

And sure Erens freedom is selfish and negative, but it is also childish. He defines freedom based on a book with pictures which he saw in his childhood and dreamt of exploring. He was disappointed. The belief that had driven him simply did not exist. The world outside wasn’t free to explore, it was full of ‘enemies’ who wanted to kill more, but more than that it had innocents too. His black/white perspective can no longer function.

Also you said that eren wasn't born like that, but we see in s1 in the fight against annie that he says he will destroy the world (the world under the oppression of the titans). He always wanted to create a world that he can explore anytime and without barriers (human and titans).

I could go on and write about why the story isn't pointless and shit but i don't feel like it. So yea i hope i wrote it understandable.

Also stop coping with "Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue" if you don't like the ending move on and watch/read other things. It's as easy as that.

Edit: I think it's generally weird to write in a forum about a work that you don't like anymore/think it got destroyed
coldkohiiJan 6, 2022 3:49 AM
Jan 6, 2022 5:02 AM

Apr 2021
Shiyashi said:
I personily think you are heavily misinterpreting 131. (Which i can understand, after months of reading analysis i can barely repeat it without looking into other threads)

He isn't truly free because: He takes his child form which is symbolic of ignorance, something he himself stated as being the thing furthest removed from freedom. We see his real head at the end of 131, eyes closed to the horrors he’s inflicting, further emphasising this ignorance. It looks like he’s flying but he’s actually on top of titan smoke and below clouds (symbolically trapped), where the titan smoke blocks his view of both the sites he actually equates to freedom and of the deaths below (further ignorance). (credits to this take to cactuzzshash on twitter).

And sure Erens freedom is selfish and negative, but it is also childish. He defines freedom based on a book with pictures which he saw in his childhood and dreamt of exploring. He was disappointed. The belief that had driven him simply did not exist. The world outside wasn’t free to explore, it was full of ‘enemies’ who wanted to kill more, but more than that it had innocents too. His black/white perspective can no longer function.

Also you said that eren wasn't born like that, but we see in s1 in the fight against annie that he says he will destroy the world (the world under the oppression of the titans). He always wanted to create a world that he can explore anytime and without barriers (human and titans).

I could go on and write about why the story isn't pointless and shit but i don't feel like it. So yea i hope i wrote it understandable.

Also stop coping with "Attack on Titan ended with chapter 123 and 130/131 is the epilogue" if you don't like the ending move on and watch/read other things. It's as easy as that.

Edit: I think it's generally weird to write in a forum about a work that you don't like anymore/think it got destroyed
I completely agree with you. Eren wanted to experience what Armin felt when he saw the book. He wanted the liveliness of Armin's eyes as we are told in the first chapter of RTS and he thought that reaching the ocean will give him that pleasure but it turns it wasn't the case and Eren now shifts his goal to that sight but he himself can't fully come in terms of WANTING to rumble bc of his inner conflict however ni 131 he clearly says he WANTED to do this. No circumstances or outside force forced him to rumble. Eren would have rumbled if the outside world had good relation with Paradis, even if the titan curse never ended and even if his friends never went against him as he said in 139. Grounded panel in 139 also shows that.

Many people think his main reason was rumbling or it was bc the outside people were not letting him free but it was never the main thing. Eren had a superficial ideology of freedom That's it. Eren is NOT a mature human.

Jan 6, 2022 6:46 AM
May 2021
Bro you can't read it's so sad
Jan 10, 2022 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
everyone is a slave to something and Eren is the slave of Ymir

Only Ymir Knows since she is the mastermind of it all

Eren only followed the PATH made by Ymir
Jan 13, 2022 4:51 PM
Dec 2020
Shiyashi said:

sorry, I respect your opinion but I think you didnt understand the story if you take shashs interpretation. That guy recontextualizes everything prior 131. Erens reasoning was selfish. But saving paradise was still his primary goal. "its more than that" means he also did it for himself. Otherwise he would be disgusting and everything would be justness own justification for his "childish" dream. But he didnt have a childish dream. Child eren in the freedom panel was represented to us cause when he was a child, he thought the outside world would be like in armins book and the person who see these sights and can move in these sights=most free person in the world. So when he discovered that these sights are filled with normal human beings who wanted to oppress him and his urge of freedom (+denying his birthright), he was disappointed. Back then it was soo simple. Killing the titans in these sights and he would be free. Thats why he was also disappointed at the ocean scene, not because its not enough or something, but because the MEANING behind the ocean changed drastically. Seeing the ocean didnt mean freedom anymore. So no, erens conviction to free paradise wasn't secondary. Just like in season 1. He wanted to free humanity inside the wall but ALSO gaining his own freedom. His freedom=birthright, the titans kept him away from those sights of armins book. So in 131, he wished for it to be wiped away. His predetermined future self had the wish, so the future cant be changed. Not because some fate crap but because his future self wanted to do that. --> ergo, eren did the rumbling for paradise, but he felt like a piece of shit in front of ramzi because in the end, he reached out to the rumbling because he also wanted to do that. But he wouldnt
if there were other ways, but there wasn't. Otherwise he wouldnt try to find solutions so sorry you theory falls flat. Guess you didnt understand the story if you think symbolism is enough as build up. Shash and invaders have nice interpretations but its not backed up by the source material at all.
Erens freedom was a selfish and negative one. He would be free if humanity outside the wall would be wiped off and nobody can oppress him anymore. He would move forward to see what's behind that hell like he told to Falco. Thats why his eyes were closed in 131.
Erens way to take back his freedom was always violent, that doesn't mean he's just a psychopath who wanted to flatten the world so it resembles armins book lmao. Its in his nature to take away everyones freedom who tries to take away his and not what 139 tries to tell us.
And yes I will move on, sooner or later. This manga was very important to me :/

yaegerist-15Jan 13, 2022 10:05 PM
Jan 13, 2022 4:55 PM
Dec 2020
Morpheme said:
Shiyashi said:

I completely agree with you. Eren wanted to experience what Armin felt when he saw the book. He wanted the liveliness of Armin's eyes as we are told in the first chapter of RTS and he thought that reaching the ocean will give him that pleasure but it turns it wasn't the case and Eren now shifts his goal to that sight but he himself can't fully come in terms of WANTING to rumble bc of his inner conflict however ni 131 he clearly says he WANTED to do this. No circumstances or outside force forced him to rumble. Eren would have rumbled if the outside world had good relation with Paradis, even if the titan curse never ended and even if his friends never went against him as he said in 139. Grounded panel in 139 also shows that.

Many people think his main reason was rumbling or it was bc the outside people were not letting him free but it was never the main thing. Eren had a superficial ideology of freedom That's it. Eren is NOT a mature human.
no, you didnt understand what armins book meant to eren. You're trying to tell eren was sad at the ocean cause its not enough and he wasn't satisfied? bruh. He thought seeing the sights of armins book would mean he is free. Look at his dialogue in chapter 90. And Eren wouldnt rumble the outside world if they would try to take away his birthright, just like chapter 121. Did we read the same manga? XD
But if you like this interpretation, im not gonna insult you for that haha, I just think eren wasn't build like that.
Jan 13, 2022 4:59 PM
Dec 2020
deg said:

everything that happened was because eren wanted that. he wasn't a slave to ymir, fate or his own ideal freedom before the story got retconned into oblivion.
Jan 13, 2022 5:05 PM

Jan 2009
yaegerist-15 said:
deg said:

everything that happened was because eren wanted that. he wasn't a slave to ymir, fate or his own ideal freedom before the story got retconned into oblivion.

the PATH is a big hint that there is no free will or freedom in their universe, its a fixed timeline or deterministic universe they are living in like the hint you experience the present, past, future as one in the PATHS

we never know what the worm is actually but i suspect its their version of god or gods messenger
Jan 13, 2022 5:15 PM
Dec 2020
deg said:
yaegerist-15 said:

the PATH is a big hint that there is no free will or freedom in their universe, its a fixed timeline or deterministic universe they are living in like the hint you experience the present, past, future as one in the PATHS

we never know what the worm is actually but i suspect its their version of god or gods messenger
the paths can be whatever the plot needs to be, isayama wrote the last arc so vague cause he wasnt sure how to end it. Thats why the ending is such a mess
Jan 13, 2022 5:38 PM

Jul 2021
I dont think you understood erens character

Jan 13, 2022 5:53 PM
Dec 2020
_spoon_ said:
you are free to explain him to me bro
Jan 13, 2022 6:28 PM

Jul 2021
yaegerist-15 said:
_spoon_ said:
I simply dont have the time

Shiyashi said:

this response pretty much sums It up

Jan 13, 2022 6:31 PM
Dec 2020
_spoon_ said:
yaegerist-15 said:

Shiyashi said:

I already debunked that. Shash and his symbolism and his own interpretation of eren is not backed up by the source material
Jan 13, 2022 9:00 PM

Sep 2020
wow that is one hell of a headcanon if I do say so myself
Jan 13, 2022 9:12 PM

Jan 2016
yaegerist-15 said:
_spoon_ said:

I already debunked that. Shash and his symbolism and his own interpretation of eren is not backed up by the source material
And how is yours supported by the source material, exactly? xD
Shash threads and video use pages of the manga as backup underneath every statement, you haven't provided any proof that his statements are fabricated/headcanon.
Where are the pages that support your so "superior interpretation"? Where are the many threads debunking Shash that you always speak of?
Jan 14, 2022 8:42 AM
Dec 2020
Alvacka97 said:
yaegerist-15 said:
And how is yours supported by the source material, exactly? xD
Shash threads and video use pages of the manga as backup underneath every statement, you haven't provided any proof that his statements are fabricated/headcanon.
Where are the pages that support your so "superior interpretation"? Where are the many threads debunking Shash that you always speak of?
read my other replies, I got no time for you
Jan 14, 2022 10:20 AM
Dec 2019
Shash take is pure iconography. But stories aren’t interpreted like that because they are not a sculpture nor a painting.
Jan 15, 2022 7:36 AM

Apr 2021
yaegerist-15 said:
no, you didnt understand what armins book meant to eren. You're trying to tell eren was sad at the ocean cause its not enough and he wasn't satisfied? bruh. He thought seeing the sights of armins book would mean he is free. Look at his dialogue in chapter 90. And Eren wouldnt rumble the outside world if they would try to take away his birthright, just like chapter 121. Did we read the same manga? XD
But if you like this interpretation, im not gonna insult you for that haha, I just think eren wasn't build like that.
Yeah it was not what eren thought he would feel. It was not how it was supposed to feel. Take the latest ED into account. Kid eren is so happy to see the scenery in books. This is WHAT he wanted to feel and see. Eren has the same eyes in ED, armin had when he read the book. Eren mentions about armin's book in beginnnign of RTS as well.

Eren WOULD rumble if the outer world was not against Paradis. Why? Its in his dialogue. I wished for it, I wanted to wipe it all away. Do u get what this means. It means eren desired and wished to RUMBLE the world. Outer circumstances means jack shit to him. Paradis was him only trying to rationalize his desire to rumble which he gives up on in 131. Eren says this in 139 too. He would have rumbled even if his friends never stopped him which means he would have rumbled if he never arrived to this conclusion. This all means Eren wanted the blank slate and would have rumbled no matter what.

Jan 15, 2022 11:04 AM

Jan 2009
what about this after thinking about the new OP and ED

everyone is a slave to something

and Eren is a slave to both his individual freedom and love for Mikasa and his friends with this dilemma he made a choice to setup his friends to stop him and that made him not complete 100% Rumbling

Eren is already satisfied with his freedom illusion when he saw the scenery in chapter 131 at that point he wants his friends to stop him now
Jan 16, 2022 8:47 PM
Dec 2020
Morpheme said:
yaegerist-15 said:
Yeah it was not what eren thought he would feel. It was not how it was supposed to feel. Take the latest ED into account. Kid eren is so happy to see the scenery in books. This is WHAT he wanted to feel and see. Eren has the same eyes in ED, armin had when he read the book. Eren mentions about armin's book in beginnnign of RTS as well.

Eren WOULD rumble if the outer world was not against Paradis. Why? Its in his dialogue. I wished for it, I wanted to wipe it all away. Do u get what this means. It means eren desired and wished to RUMBLE the world. Outer circumstances means jack shit to him. Paradis was him only trying to rationalize his desire to rumble which he gives up on in 131. Eren says this in 139 too. He would have rumbled even if his friends never stopped him which means he would have rumbled if he never arrived to this conclusion. This all means Eren wanted the blank slate and would have rumbled no matter what.
no, sorry but I completely disagree. Its not about his "desire to feel more" and there were no other solutions to free paradise and break the cycle of 2000 years hatred between paradise and the outside world.
Jan 17, 2022 8:14 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
yaegerist-15 said:
Morpheme said:

no, sorry but I completely disagree. Its not about his "desire to feel more" and there were no other solutions to free paradise and break the cycle of 2000 years hatred between paradise and the outside world.
The fact that these guys are citing CactuzzShash says all that I need to see about the credibility of anything that they're saying lol

But what I saw most of the ending apologists really pushing these past few weeks was the Invaderz video, and honestly this right here summarizes everything you need to know about that one too

I hated the ending and also saw the video to see where the other side might be coming from, and they're just still fucking wrong. While some decent points were made in this video there's so much it didn't explain but the biggest issue is that the entire video uses circular logic. It claims, with no evidence, that the AoT universe is an entirely deterministic one, and so everything that happens in it happens because it happens. That's unironically the logic. Why was Eren stopped? Because we see it happen so that's just what happens because determinism. Why did Grisha give Eren his Titans? Same circular determinism argument. I'd assume he would use this argument to explain every other shitty part of the story. Why did Ymir love Shitz? Yup determinism. Annie eat pie haha funny? Reiner sniff letter? Don't question it guys it's just the way AoT is because it's all deterministic. It's this entirely circular bullshit reasoning that invalidates the entire video for me, which was already super shaky to begin with because it's basically "hey fuck your interpretation just forget everything you know and believe my interpretation because we see what happens so that's what happens"

The different between Shash and Invaderz is that the latter had the balls to admit that a lot of what he said is filled with inconsisties because quite frankly, there is no logical explanation behind or evidence to support the shit storm that the final chapter and some of those leading up to it truly was

I welcome you to watch a recent video made by a guy named plasmyte that pretty much kills any and all justification for why this ending makes sense or is even good for that matter (ABD's video was already good enough but this one really puts the final nail in the coffin)

https://youtu.be/Hr44dBCWcHY
TokoyaJan 17, 2022 8:19 AM
Jan 17, 2022 9:07 AM

Jul 2019
You are all pathetic. After months have passed since the atrocious ending, you all still haven't moved on. Time to move on from this what once was a phenomenon manga.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 17, 2022 9:12 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
LordSozin said:
You are all pathetic. After months have passed since the atrocious ending, you all still haven't moved on. Time to move on from this what once was a phenomenon manga.
I did move on, but then I saw all this talk about AoE and the shit actually makes a lot of sense

So now I'm pulled back in, injecting tons of copium into my body again, hoping that AoE is real so that this god forsaken shitstorm of an ending can rid itself from my memories
Jan 17, 2022 9:15 AM

Jul 2019
Tokoya said:
LordSozin said:
I did move on, but then I saw all this talk about AoE and the shit actually makes a lot of sense

So now I'm pulled back in, injecting tons of copium into my body again, hoping that AoE is real so that this god forsaken shitstorm of an ending can rid itself from my memories

I wish I was on your level copium my dude. But the last arc and the final chapter destroyed me beyond repair.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Jan 17, 2022 9:19 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
LordSozin said:
Tokoya said:

I wish I was on your level copium my dude. But the last arc and the final chapter destroyed me beyond repair.
I totally get it brother and that's why I don't blame you one bit....Pain sticks to me like glue so I'm not even surprised that I'm setting myself up for disappointment again
Jan 17, 2022 3:58 PM
Dec 2020
Tokoya said:
yaegerist-15 said:
The fact that these guys are citing CactuzzShash says all that I need to see about the credibility of anything that they're saying lol

But what I saw most of the ending apologists really pushing these past few weeks was the Invaderz video, and honestly this right here summarizes everything you need to know about that one too

I hated the ending and also saw the video to see where the other side might be coming from, and they're just still fucking wrong. While some decent points were made in this video there's so much it didn't explain but the biggest issue is that the entire video uses circular logic. It claims, with no evidence, that the AoT universe is an entirely deterministic one, and so everything that happens in it happens because it happens. That's unironically the logic. Why was Eren stopped? Because we see it happen so that's just what happens because determinism. Why did Grisha give Eren his Titans? Same circular determinism argument. I'd assume he would use this argument to explain every other shitty part of the story. Why did Ymir love Shitz? Yup determinism. Annie eat pie haha funny? Reiner sniff letter? Don't question it guys it's just the way AoT is because it's all deterministic. It's this entirely circular bullshit reasoning that invalidates the entire video for me, which was already super shaky to begin with because it's basically "hey fuck your interpretation just forget everything you know and believe my interpretation because we see what happens so that's what happens"

The different between Shash and Invaderz is that the latter had the balls to admit that a lot of what he said is filled with inconsisties because quite frankly, there is no logical explanation behind or evidence to support the shit storm that the final chapter and some of those leading up to it truly was

I welcome you to watch a recent video made by a guy named plasmyte that pretty much kills any and all justification for why this ending makes sense or is even good for that matter (ABD's video was already good enough but this one really puts the final nail in the coffin)

https://youtu.be/Hr44dBCWcHY
thanks, plasmytes video is by far the best AoT ending video.
While shash is only on symbolism and headcanon, invaderzz had pretty much a good first hour but then when he talked about 131 and 139, it’s an interpretation with no evidence in the manga. He had to recontextualize everything prior 131 so it could make sense somehow. But eren wouldn’t destroy the world if the outside world is peaceful and let him explore all the sights he want. This was never eren and nobody thought that when 131 dropped. Abd was good too, I’m waiting for souls video too, his eren analysis were my fav until now
Jan 17, 2022 4:59 PM
Dec 2019
LordSozin said:
Tokoya said:

I am personally on it just to wait in reading shape whatever the fanfics can pull to compare. That’s it. The canon is dead to me after the last volume.
Jan 17, 2022 7:12 PM

Jan 2009
Eren and freedom eh as they say total freedom is violent, deadly, lonely, fearful

Eren is a psychopath then, and dont give me that he still have empathy, lack of empathy is just one criteria of being a psychopath but there are more criteria that fits Eren

this is even a debate in philosophy Freedom vs Security to legitimize the government

sure Isayama changed the original Mist Ending to this one because total freedom is dangerous
Jan 21, 2022 9:31 AM

Apr 2015
Vinicius234 said:
LordSozin said:

I am personally on it just to wait in reading shape whatever the fanfics can pull to compare. That’s it. The canon is dead to me after the last volume.

paçocaaaaaaaaa
Jan 23, 2022 3:48 PM
Dec 2020
QSZ said:
I wonder why no one talks about why Levi didn't die 😔
because he is good for merchandise and isayama is a hack writer

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 139 / Ending Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

NextUniverse - Apr 7, 2021

1874 by Berry-Vodka »»
Yesterday, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 141 Discussion

venti_e - Sep 30, 2022

32 by Berry-Vodka »»
Apr 20, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 77 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

137 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 31, 12:03 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 13 Discussion

Nidhoeggr - May 15, 2011

21 by Steekira »»
Mar 27, 8:35 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Chapter 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

keragamming - Oct 6, 2015

132 by Berry-Vodka »»
Mar 17, 4:40 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.