Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 23, 2021 11:53 AM

Nov 2020
Hey, so I wanted to start reading Tokyo ghoul manga and I wanted to buy physical copies. Since I wanted to read the entire thing I wanted to get the box set. When I looked at the box set online I saw that the price is close to 500 dollars for volume 1-14. Then when I saw the price Of each individual volume it’s about 11 dollars. So that adds upto 154 dollars. I also realised you don’t really get anything extra with the box set. So is there a reason it’s that expensive? Or am I looking at the wrong place(Amazon)?
I got dragon ball box set as a gift and when I look up the price it’s not as bad for dragon ball but it’s a similar case for DBZ. I’m definitely gonna but the individual manga but I was just curious.
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Dec 23, 2021 12:07 PM
Jun 2021
nice post, I want to know this myself too
Dec 23, 2021 12:15 PM
Dec 2020
Usually the prices are pretty “reasonable”, the reason why it’s 500USD it’s because there is a low supply for those box sets which pushed its price up due to its demand- also Amazon in general for these products are always a bit more expensive. Would choose the individual volumes in this case or find other sites.
fresh_otakuDec 23, 2021 12:30 PM
Dec 23, 2021 12:32 PM
Jan 2021
This is an inflated price. If you go on RightStuf they’re selling it for a lot cheaper. It will take a while to get it but you’ll get it for a much better price and the box set looks pretty clean so I’d say it’s worth it. I bought the box set for Tokyo Ghoul :re and the individual volumes for Tokyo Ghoul and I wish I had the boxed set instead. I just looked at the price and it’s $113 on Rightstuf.
Dec 23, 2021 12:43 PM
Feb 2021
Prolly just cus there ain't alot of them I have 1 and a part of it got ripped somehow while moving so I want to cry but yeah☃️☃️
Dec 23, 2021 1:00 PM
Jun 2021
mechastro said:
Hey, so I wanted to start reading Tokyo ghoul manga and I wanted to buy physical copies. Since I wanted to read the entire thing I wanted to get the box set. When I looked at the box set online I saw that the price is close to 500 dollars for volume 1-14. Then when I saw the price Of each individual volume it’s about 11 dollars. So that adds upto 154 dollars. I also realised you don’t really get anything extra with the box set. So is there a reason it’s that expensive? Or am I looking at the wrong place(Amazon)?
I got dragon ball box set as a gift and when I look up the price it’s not as bad for dragon ball but it’s a similar case for DBZ. I’m definitely gonna but the individual manga but I was just curious.
it probably cause they are low in Stock so they upped the price. I got mine a year and a half ago it was like 80. Just try some other places and if you can’t find one for a cheap price just buy the individual volumes.
Dec 23, 2021 2:42 PM
Sep 2021
Huh. The 3 stores that sell manga in my country were selling the box sets for 200€. I guess the price went up because they’re low on stock or something.
Dec 23, 2021 3:25 PM
Jan 2021
box sets in general are more expensive. there are some slight box set exclusive things, those being a poster and the obvious box. box sets typically just go for more as it is much more “collector-y” (?) and it guarantees you get all of the volumes instead of possibly waiting months for a single volume. the tokyo ghoul mangas one of the most popular mangas out there and covid has MASSIVELY increased the physical manga demand. however much like the majority of other industries, suppliers and printers are struggling to keep up. box sets often have smaller quantities to begin with, this coupled with the fact that its one of the most popular manga series in recent time and the state of the world, there are few sets to go around. that naturally leads to scalpers and general market increase. im lucky to have gotten mine brand new in april for $90
kinusakaDec 23, 2021 3:30 PM
Dec 23, 2021 4:55 PM

Sep 2018
I have no idea why it’s that expensive. I bought the box set for around 140€ on amazon.

It’s probably low in stock.
Dec 23, 2021 5:35 PM

Nov 2020
NightSong0123 said:
This is an inflated price. If you go on RightStuf they’re selling it for a lot cheaper. It will take a while to get it but you’ll get it for a much better price and the box set looks pretty clean so I’d say it’s worth it. I bought the box set for Tokyo Ghoul :re and the individual volumes for Tokyo Ghoul and I wish I had the boxed set instead. I just looked at the price and it’s $113 on Rightstuf.

Alright I’ll check it out cause 113 sounds way more reasonable than 500. Yeah most of the manga is sold by individuals more than a listed price on Amazon so that could be the case. Thanks a lot!!!
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Dec 23, 2021 5:36 PM

Nov 2020
QtTouka said:
Prolly just cus there ain't alot of them I have 1 and a part of it got ripped somehow while moving so I want to cry but yeah☃️☃️

I’m sorry. I feel your pain.
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Dec 23, 2021 5:37 PM

Nov 2020
SparCy said:
mechastro said:
it probably cause they are low in Stock so they upped the price. I got mine a year and a half ago it was like 80. Just try some other places and if you can’t find one for a cheap price just buy the individual volumes.

Yeah that’s my plan. Although box set looks cool as hell, it’s not worth paying 100s of dollars for a box made of cardboard. I’ll check tomorrow ther places and see.
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Dec 23, 2021 8:41 PM

Sep 2021
Well the boxed set provides you all the volumes together and with an exclusive poster.

But the price hike must be in ur region only I got it for 150 usd
Dec 23, 2021 11:39 PM

Oct 2020
Same case here...
I'm gessing theres not enough stock.
And it's not just tokyo ghoul.
Here in europe, either there is none of it in stock or it's double or even triple the price for a single volume
Dec 24, 2021 12:23 AM
Jul 2021
bc scalpers, box sets should be cheaper than buying them in singles , it’s the same concept as buying food in bulk
Dec 24, 2021 3:48 PM

Nov 2020
treyr said:
bc scalpers, box sets should be cheaper than buying them in singles , it’s the same concept as buying food in bulk

Yeah I realised that it’s scalpers. Cause none of them are sold from Amazon it’s sold by other sellers.
Na, Hashiru No Suki Ka?

Dec 24, 2021 3:58 PM

Mar 2020
Amazon has a established partnership with 3rd party sellers
(sellers that sell products on the site via pricing is decided by them) and that's not the real price for the box set and is not worth getting i got it off amazon a long time ago off amazon themselves, if under the product description it says (ships and sold by amazon) then your good, but any other seller besides amazon usually heckles with pricing. It's probably because of the backlog problem for a lot of the manga right now, you could try chapters or Abe books and book depository, there's also rightstuf but shipping is a little pricey if you don't live in US. (;

Jan 4, 2022 2:25 PM
Sep 2020
500 DOLLARS?! I live in the netherlands and here I can get it for 120 euros. You'll get scammed it you buy it for 500 lol
Jan 17, 2023 9:17 PM
Nov 2019
im waiting on mine and its was 111 if i had bought the individual it would have been 258 atleast here in sweden so hope its a good deal since if i had bought it on say amazon i need to pay shiping and maybe inport tax
Jan 17, 2023 10:03 PM
Nov 2019
i got mine for 103 euro here in sweden

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2014

843 by Fauxquse »»
Apr 4, 11:47 AM

» Tokyo Ghoul ss3 killed all the hope I have for this series

DatajI - Mar 9

4 by zero00guard »»
Mar 12, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

349 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 8, 11:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 24, 2014

430 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 7, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Ghoul Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

319 by AkiFosu »»
Mar 6, 10:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.