Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 16, 2021 11:41 AM

Apr 2009
I went to try and find the original chinese dub with english subtitles online, i found some horrible-quality ones on youtube, and i found maybe two episodes elsewhere but the site had severe buffering-issues.
-From what i saw in a few googles, it looks like the chinese dub is more or less gone due to china's censorship laws having gotten stricter since this first aired, so i guess boys kissing on screen is too much for today's chinese censorship.

So likely, you'll only find the japanese version of this show.

In addition, apparently season 3 is cancelled, due to an argument between the author and the ones adapting the author's work, since the studios want to change the story too much, so if you don't want to watch a japanese dub of an originally chinese animation, which also is cancelled after 2 seasons, you might want to look for something else.

Sad, since i've been on a binge of this author's other adapted works in the past few days and was hoping to finish it off with Ling Qi/Spiritpact, but i'd rather not watch something that's not "completed" if i can avoid it.
(actually, might wanna disregard the previous statement, since i was under the impression author for ling qi was the same as for mo dao zu shi and tian guan ci fu, but i didn't check very thoroughly).

It's not that i couldn't try to find the original novel, translated (which i might for Mo dao zu shi, but i hear many versions of that one also are disappearing from the web thanks to chinese censorship), but if i'm not interested in the characters and story enough from the show to want to find out more, i won't.
KonaniFeb 4, 2022 2:10 AM
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Dec 16, 2021 1:19 PM

Jan 2021
that’s disappointing that there won’t be a season 3 :c i did like where Ling Qi left off, but we never even got a conclusion to the first season’s antagonist (cool guy with blindfolds 😏)!

i really couldn’t care less about Shouken and whether he alive or dead lol

I too went on an incredibly long hunt and found the original Chinese version in a decent quality but decided to watch the Japanese version ultimately because Tanmoku Ki’s Japanese voice is way sexier. tehee

so stranger, having watched the author’s other works, what would you recommend? (Other than Mo Dao Zu Shi) 😍
Dec 16, 2021 3:18 PM

Apr 2009
persephone1 said:
that’s disappointing that there won’t be a season 3 :c i did like where Ling Qi left off, but we never even got a conclusion to the first season’s antagonist (cool guy with blindfolds 😏)!

I too went on an incredibly long hunt and found the original Chinese version in a decent quality but decided to watch the Japanese version ultimately because Tanmoku Ki’s Japanese voice is way sexier. tehee

so stranger, having watched the author’s other works, what would you recommend? (Other than Mo Dao Zu Shi) 😍

-from what i know, there were "only" four works of the author's made into donghua (chinese anime), all of them with similar setting but slightly different characters and story.
i can't say anything about spiritpact/Ling Qi since i haven't watched it,
i also haven't read anything from the author, just watched the adaptions;
as they are chinese donghua though, unfortunately they are "censored", as in; there can be no same-sex romancing on screen, but the animators and directors have left enough hints and clues for people to find, through the characters' behavior, dialogue, and also the opening/endings.

Mostly and mainly i would above all recommend Mo dao, to me it felt the most balanced with animation, quality, pace and the story. while focusing on the main characters, it also focuses a lot on the world and the people around them, their personal connection with others, and there are many ups and downs in terms of the overall mood of the series.
it also is the only "completed" adaption from this author, with all three seasons plus an extra chibi-series added to it, while the other three are as of yet unfinished with just one or two seasons out.

Scumbag System- is a 3D animated adaption which has some flaws, but overall is pretty decent. to me, the animation wasn't the worst, it certainly wasn't the best, but most of the character models are very pleasant to look at. -it focuses more on humor thus far (1 season, 10 episodes), so while not very romance-heavy, it's pretty fun as of yet. from what i know, the 2nd season is in production

Heaven's Official Blessing- to me, while the graphics were pretty, the version i watched was a probably early one, since it had some animation errors in one of the episodes, but i hear later versions has fixed those. it felt very slow in terms of the story, basically nothing really happens, and during the 11 episodes only 2 major events really happen. at the same time, between the main characters, a lot of things do happen, and there are some plotlines being laid out, so a lot of questions for season 2 to answer once it airs. it also has a special episode, an extra, which to me was the favorite. (2nd season's also in production)

-basically all the stories are a "slow burn" format between the characters; they don't instantly hook up for various reasons, so it's something that happens over a longer time.
they also all take place in a fictional ancient china with what i assume is some chinese-cultural standard for sorcery.

-so since there's only four different series i possibly could reference, i'd say they're all worth a watch, even if only one of them is finished as of current.
,if you choose to watch one, or all of them, i'll hope you'll find them enjoyable :3
,oh, i'd probably also mainly promote the chinese-dub version. Mo dao was the first one i watched, it was also the first donghua i ever watched, it was different, but enjoyable!
Dec 16, 2021 3:47 PM

Jan 2021
i’m on a Donghua binge since discovering it - it’s amazing there are so many good ones (Tong Ling Fei, Xie Wang Zhui Qi, Link Click, Meng Qi Shi Shen!)

I came upon Tian Guan Ci Fu (Heaven Official’s Blessing) on a whim and LOVED it.

I know im gonna LOVE Mo Dao Zu Shi, but I really do prefer to watch shows once they’re complete and I can binge it all at once lol so i’m trying to hold out

……….but all the shows i mentioned above have current sequels in production so it never turns out that way anyway?!………..

screw it i’m going to start Mo Dao. 😆

as for the 3D stuff, idk, it’s too weird. like i’m watching a video game.
Dec 16, 2021 4:05 PM

Apr 2009
persephone1 said:
i’m on a Donghua binge since discovering it - it’s amazing there are so many good ones (Tong Ling Fei, Xie Wang Zhui Qi, Link Click, Meng Qi Shi Shen!)

I came upon Tian Guan Ci Fu (Heaven Official’s Blessing) on a whim and LOVED it.

I know im gonna LOVE Mo Dao Zu Shi, but I really do prefer to watch shows once they’re complete and I can binge it all at once lol so i’m trying to hold out

……….but all the shows i mentioned above have current sequels in production so it never turns out that way anyway?!………..

screw it i’m going to start Mo Dao. 😆

as for the 3D stuff, idk, it’s too weird. like i’m watching a video game.

indeed, it certainly do feel like i'm watching extended scenes from dynasty Warriors...
,imma give the ones you mentioned a look too, since there doesn't seem to be much in the japanese market in terms of male x male romance that isn't instantly the guys hooking up, or it's just plain hentai.
Dec 16, 2021 5:37 PM

Jan 2021
actually the ones i mentioned aren’t BL (except possibly Link Click?) but they are still fantastic.

Xie Wang Zhui Qi starts off kinda bad since S1 is just short episodes but if you stick around it’s worth it cause the story is killer.
Tong Ling Fei is friggin adorable and i absolutely love it.
Meng Qi Shi Shen is kinda silly but actually really enjoyed it.

My favourite Japanese BL is Given.
I also loved Love Stage and Super Lovers.

Saezuru no Tori wa is possibly my all time fave but it is rough and gritty (dealing with serious adult subject matter) and it’s a yaoi. But not a stupid silly yaoi.. It’s actually a masterpiece. Again, only for adults.
Dec 16, 2021 7:54 PM

Apr 2009
persephone1 said:
actually the ones i mentioned aren’t BL (except possibly Link Click?) but they are still fantastic.

Xie Wang Zhui Qi starts off kinda bad since S1 is just short episodes but if you stick around it’s worth it cause the story is killer.
Tong Ling Fei is friggin adorable and i absolutely love it.
Meng Qi Shi Shen is kinda silly but actually really enjoyed it.

My favourite Japanese BL is Given.
I also loved Love Stage and Super Lovers.

Saezuru no Tori wa is possibly my all time fave but it is rough and gritty (dealing with serious adult subject matter) and it’s a yaoi. But not a stupid silly yaoi.. It’s actually a masterpiece. Again, only for adults.

Mh; i'm probably a fan of "slow burn" romances, i don't like if it's too easy for the characters to get together, but it feels so much more worth it if they've "earned" their happy ending,
-so that's probably why i took such a liking to Mo dao in particular, and now am kinda riding the wave by looking up more donghua based on BL novels.

might be slightly less inclined to watch the ones you proposed then; i feel like i've watched a lot of anime, but haven't really come across any male x male romance series that felt even close to as satisfying as Mo dao (minus the fact the romance is only hinted at, at best).
i guess it was more like- it felt less like a romance, more like "an actual story", where the main characters just happened to fall in love during the course of it all. or, like there are more characters of importance, than just the two main characters.

i also don't have a preference for anything too realistic, nor that involves things like idols or music groups, sports or the like. fantasy and horror is my realm ^_^'

...then again; i'm not into females, and i feel like i rarely find any really pretty guys in japanese anime....

-much as fun as it is speaking to people though, i guess this has more or less turned into "what else could i watch instead of spiritpact/ling qi, and i'm uncertain if that's cool with MAL guidelines about series and topics..?
Dec 17, 2021 2:18 AM

Jan 2021
that’s cool. yes yes. well, let the moderator moderate us.

but give Given a chance seriously trust me on this one!!!!! it’s not an idol group just about a band but it’s beautiful 😩❤️

and Link Click is not romantic at all but it’s a really cool story. if anything, just watch the OP and ED and tell me you aren’t hooked lol
Jan 21, 2022 4:49 PM

Dec 2021
I found the whole first season with its Chinese dub on Archive.org (Slow as it may be without an external downloader), though it doesn't come with subtitles. Some of the episodes are in 720p, some are in 1080p, but they seem to be the best quality versions of this donghua still on the internet. Don't know if I can link them, but the search term there is "spiritpact-s1". There are subtitles floating around the internet by Bayi Subs, but their website doesn't seem to host them anymore.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Feb 3, 2022 8:47 PM
Oct 2020
Konani said:
persephone1 said:

-from what i know, there were "only" four works of the author's made into donghua (chinese anime), all of them with similar setting but slightly different characters and story.
i can't say anything about spiritpact/Ling Qi since i haven't watched it,
i also haven't read anything from the author, just watched the adaptions;
as they are chinese donghua though, unfortunately they are "censored", as in; there can be no same-sex romancing on screen, but the animators and directors have left enough hints and clues for people to find, through the characters' behavior, dialogue, and also the opening/endings.

Mostly and mainly i would above all recommend Mo dao, to me it felt the most balanced with animation, quality, pace and the story. while focusing on the main characters, it also focuses a lot on the world and the people around them, their personal connection with others, and there are many ups and downs in terms of the overall mood of the series.
it also is the only "completed" adaption from this author, with all three seasons plus an extra chibi-series added to it, while the other three are as of yet unfinished with just one or two seasons out.

Scumbag System- is a 3D animated adaption which has some flaws, but overall is pretty decent. to me, the animation wasn't the worst, it certainly wasn't the best, but most of the character models are very pleasant to look at. -it focuses more on humor thus far (1 season, 10 episodes), so while not very romance-heavy, it's pretty fun as of yet. from what i know, the 2nd season is in production

Heaven's Official Blessing- to me, while the graphics were pretty, the version i watched was a probably early one, since it had some animation errors in one of the episodes, but i hear later versions has fixed those. it felt very slow in terms of the story, basically nothing really happens, and during the 11 episodes only 2 major events really happen. at the same time, between the main characters, a lot of things do happen, and there are some plotlines being laid out, so a lot of questions for season 2 to answer once it airs. it also has a special episode, an extra, which to me was the favorite. (2nd season's also in production)

-basically all the stories are a "slow burn" format between the characters; they don't instantly hook up for various reasons, so it's something that happens over a longer time.
they also all take place in a fictional ancient china with what i assume is some chinese-cultural standard for sorcery.

-so since there's only four different series i possibly could reference, i'd say they're all worth a watch, even if only one of them is finished as of current.
,if you choose to watch one, or all of them, i'll hope you'll find them enjoyable :3
,oh, i'd probably also mainly promote the chinese-dub version. Mo dao was the first one i watched, it was also the first donghua i ever watched, it was different, but enjoyable!

Im so confused, as far as I know LING QI or spirit pact is not made by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu at all (Author of Heaven Official's Blessing, Scumbag Villain, and Mo Dao Zu Shi) where were yall getting at lol
ugh I want to watch the ling qi Chinese dub so bad
Feb 4, 2022 2:08 AM

Apr 2009
Ufckingweasel33 said:

Im so confused, as far as I know LING QI or spirit pact is not made by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu at all (Author of Heaven Official's Blessing, Scumbag Villain, and Mo Dao Zu Shi) where were yall getting at lol
ugh I want to watch the ling qi Chinese dub so bad

hmm, now that you mention it; i'm pretty sure i got the relation from seeing an article/post abut Ling Qi being cancelled due to a court-case and there was a mention of the author being the same as for mo dao and tian guan...

but i didn't actually read it since my interest in ling qi was tame, at best, especially with the chinese dub being just about eradicated from the web,
Aug 26, 2023 4:21 PM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Konani said:
I went to try and find the original chinese dub with english subtitles online, i found some horrible-quality ones on youtube, and i found maybe two episodes elsewhere but the site had severe buffering-issues.
-From what i saw in a few googles, it looks like the chinese dub is more or less gone due to china's censorship laws having gotten stricter since this first aired, so i guess boys kissing on screen is too much for today's chinese censorship.

So likely, you'll only find the japanese version of this show.

In addition, apparently season 3 is cancelled, due to an argument between the author and the ones adapting the author's work, since the studios want to change the story too much, so if you don't want to watch a japanese dub of an originally chinese animation, which also is cancelled after 2 seasons, you might want to look for something else.

Sad, since i've been on a binge of this author's other adapted works in the past few days and was hoping to finish it off with Ling Qi/Spiritpact, but i'd rather not watch something that's not "completed" if i can avoid it.
(actually, might wanna disregard the previous statement, since i was under the impression author for ling qi was the same as for mo dao zu shi and tian guan ci fu, but i didn't check very thoroughly).

It's not that i couldn't try to find the original novel, translated (which i might for Mo dao zu shi, but i hear many versions of that one also are disappearing from the web thanks to chinese censorship), but if i'm not interested in the characters and story enough from the show to want to find out more, i won't.

Well, MDZS has explicit sex scenes in the novel and still exists... Just that donghua and manhua tend to be censored.

As for ling qi, the manhua has 400+ chapters as of this year... No sign of cancellation 

Interested? What seems to be an official english translation is here. 

Link

Only at 95 but, it's official and updating weekly.

Someone is doing Google translator translations out there unofficially too... And they're up to date. 

Generally, from what I've read, the censorship is basically:
Novel: they can fuck if you release your book across the border in taiwan.
Manhua: if you're lucky they can kiss platonically but don't count on it
Donghua/live action: what is love? Baby don't hurt me, no more... 

I look forward to reading this properly now. In the past the fan translations for this were pretty sketchy, incomplete, and with it being cancelled... Yeah....  
quercifoliaDec 2, 2023 9:27 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ling Qi Episode 4 Discussion

Stardew - Sep 10, 2016

9 by Celestriarts »»
Feb 6, 3:30 PM

» Where is Spiritpact?

Wrath - Jan 29, 2017

34 by animesamsur »»
Jan 14, 11:05 PM

Poll: » When will MAL fix episode count?

jocelynkara93 - Feb 27, 2023

2 by jocelynkara93 »»
Feb 27, 2023 2:38 AM

Poll: » Ling Qi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

R_TF - Jul 21, 2016

78 by Roch2001 »»
Dec 18, 2022 3:38 AM

Poll: » Ling Qi Episode 20 Discussion

lihle808 - Dec 8, 2016

16 by bushman66 »»
Jan 31, 2022 7:15 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.