Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 15, 2021 10:44 PM

Jun 2021
Does someone agree with the above statement or it's just not my cup of tea ....?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Dec 15, 2021 10:50 PM
Oct 2020
Pred8r said:
Does someone agree with the above statement or it's just not my cup of tea ....?

Couldn’t disagree more. This season is even more hype then the last
Dec 15, 2021 10:50 PM
Jun 2021
Pred8r said:
I can't agree or disagree with this
Dec 15, 2021 10:51 PM

Aug 2020
Nah it ain't only ya. It ain't my cup of tea either, ain't a fan of Mecha Genre.

Dec 15, 2021 10:53 PM
Jan 2021
Nah this anime isn’t rlly my cup of tea. Season 1 was pretty boring imo. season 2 was actually interesting until all the delays that are going on rn which kinda makes the anime boring for me
Dec 15, 2021 11:07 PM
Sep 2021
IMO I find the first season to be a lot stronger but of course this season does open a lot of doors and questions/answers.
Dec 15, 2021 11:18 PM
May 2020
Pred8r said:
Ngl I slept twice.
Dec 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Oct 2019
Pred8r said:

couldn't disagree more.

to me this is one of the only animes that makes me feel like every episode is only 5 minutes long.

although that has less to do with the story and more to do with the direction.

now that said, i did feel the same at first, but it did a complete 180 as soon as i switched to dub.

it's a very dialogue heavy show so try switching, it might help.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 15, 2021 11:35 PM
Mar 2021
Season 1 was much better because most of this is just action now but it’s still good
Dec 15, 2021 11:49 PM
Jan 2021
This part is good but the first part was amazing. This part is filled with too much trope and cliches(ridiculous amount of plot armor in particular) from my perspective.
Dec 15, 2021 11:53 PM
Apr 2020
Pred8r said:

It’s definitely not just you. II can’t speak on the story as a whole since I haven’t read the LN, but it’s hard to get invested or fee the stakes if they don’t properly take the time to flesh the story out. The first season I feel took it’s time more and tried to develop most of the characters, plus the dynamic between the two main characters drove the plot forward pretty well. Once the second season started airing things were sort of all over the place really quick, and it seems like it just glosses over a lot of the major moments.
Dec 15, 2021 11:55 PM
Nov 2020
Hot_Green_Tea said:
This part is good but the first part was amazing. This part is filled with too much trope and cliches(ridiculous amount of plot armor in particular) from my perspective.
”Plot Armor”?
Dec 15, 2021 11:55 PM
Sep 2021
Pdx0116 said:
Pred8r said:

It’s definitely not just you. II can’t speak on the story as a whole since I haven’t read the LN, but it’s hard to get invested or fee the stakes if they don’t properly take the time to flesh the story out. The first season I feel took it’s time more and tried to develop most of the characters, plus the dynamic between the two main characters drove the plot forward pretty well. Once the second season started airing things were sort of all over the place really quick, and it seems like it just glosses over a lot of the major moments.
Well said. I agree, the first season was a lot stronger, I mean even now when watching it weekly I at times have to think back to what happened the last couple episodes since they weren’t as memorable or investing as you say, compared to the first season.
Dec 15, 2021 11:57 PM
Dec 2021
Just wait for the fight against morpho, and the ending of part 2 will be epic.
Dec 16, 2021 12:00 AM

May 2020
86 is one of those anime that wants to be deep with its themes but often comes off as kinda boring And dull.
Dec 16, 2021 12:01 AM
Jan 2021
I 100% enjoyed part 1 more. I don't like any of the new characters, especially Frederica(some people actually like her character? Really?)
Dec 16, 2021 12:03 AM
Feb 2021
I think it’s just you tbh, this season is even better than the first
Dec 16, 2021 12:19 AM
Nov 2020
Nah, Part 1 was done extremely well at explaining the setting, the atmosphere and the characters, not to mention showing 2 different views from the same nation, Part 1 was only Volume 1. Part 2 even with all the delays is still really good, it introduces new characters, a new nation while still showing the other nation, also world building we know of other nations and we know more about the legion, also the last few episodes we got see a lot about the battle and how the other nations are doing. Yes there’s a lot of missing information and yes more stuff is gonna be happening that’s gonna be confusing, but the 1st season of 86 has only adapted 3 volumes out of 10 at the moment, part 1 volume 1, part 2 volume 2 and 3, and technically volume 2 and 3 is one giant volume split into 2 volumes. Also the story is dialogue heavy, it’s not too heavy but it has a lot of dialogue.

Edit: the Light Novel is ongoing so there is gonna be more than 10 volumes.
DarkHomieCDec 16, 2021 12:25 AM
Dec 16, 2021 12:43 AM
Jan 2021
DarkHomieC said:
Hot_Green_Tea said:
”Plot Armor”?

In every battle or surprise attack that they had(Ex : Morpho's 1st attack or they were attacked by the large group of legions or when they try to attack the Morpho), they're barely hurt or lose anything important(Shin, Raiden, Anju, Theo, and Kurena) all the while building and vanangadr are destroyed and the rest of the background characters are dead or lose their limbs.

In the first part, the death(or things that happened) was random and unexpected(it happened to characters that people thought wouldn't die considering the character's screen time and impact to the story) which makes it more realistic.
Hot_Green_TeaDec 16, 2021 12:52 AM
Dec 16, 2021 1:07 AM
Nov 2020
Hot_Green_Tea said:
DarkHomieC said:
”Plot Armor”?

In every battle or surprise attack that they had(Ex : Morpho's 1st attack or they were attacked by the large group of legions or when they try to attack the Morpho), they're barely hurt or lose anything important(Shin, Raiden, Anju, Theo, and Kurena) all the while building and vanangadr are destroyed and the rest of the background characters are dead or lose their limbs.

In the first part, the death(or things that happened) was random and unexpected(it happened to characters that people thought wouldn't die considering the character's screen time and impact to the story) which makes it realistic.
The reason is because they have been through battles after battles of fighting the legion and they are the best out of the 86, they know how to react to surprise attacks, if you’re counting the Morpho’s first attack as the attack that hit the base, the attack wasn’t aimed directly at them, but it did kill a bunch of people. Now if your talking about the Morpho attack when they were tricked, they ended up taking cover, and the reason why nobody died was because they all were together when they took cover. Now the reason why the first part had everyone dying was because it was setting the atmosphere for the anime and showing how the people of 86 were treated and the outcome of them being thrown into constant battles like they are expandable.
Dec 16, 2021 1:10 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Part 1 was kind of boring I agree.

Part 2 on the other hand?? Phenomenal. Anime of the year material. If you're still bored, then yes perhaps this isn't quite your cup of tea

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 16, 2021 1:39 AM
May 2021
I personnaly disagree, i would sell a part of my soul for a season 2
Dec 16, 2021 2:26 AM
Jan 2021
Hot_Green_Tea said:
DarkHomieC said:
”Plot Armor”?

In the first part, the death(or things that happened) was random and unexpected(it happened to characters that people thought wouldn't die considering the character's screen time and impact to the story) which makes it more realistic.
You want something to happen to the main characters??
It's coming
Dec 16, 2021 2:32 AM
Apr 2021
At first glance, 86 feels like an echo of the recent Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, with the framing on child soldiers in war. What makes 86 stand out though is its focus on the intersection of classism, racism, and the morality of murder in a time of war. The battles themselves are surprisingly tactical, with massive fights between scorpion-like mech instead of your usual humanoid robot forms common in the genre. However, it's the conversations and slice of life between the battles where 86 truly shines. -Aaron Smith

From IGN

If you don't like it then don't like it.
Some people above who talk like 'it tries to be deep' just makes me want to keel over lmao.

Also, what is the issue with the delays? The only problem I see is people don't have something to talk about weekly for the season. It's like you're only watching it for the sake of watching, not because you're actually invested.
Dec 16, 2021 2:38 AM
Jan 2021
DarkHomieC said:
Hot_Green_Tea said:

In the first part, the death(or things that happened) was random and unexpected(it happened to characters that people thought wouldn't die considering the character's screen time and impact to the story) which makes it realistic.
The reason is because they have been through battles after battles of fighting the legion and they are the best out of the 86, they know how to react to surprise attacks, if you’re counting the Morpho’s first attack as the attack that hit the base, the attack wasn’t aimed directly at them, but it did kill a bunch of people. Now if your talking about the Morpho attack when they were tricked, they ended up taking cover, and the reason why nobody died was because they all were together when they took cover. Now the reason why the first part had everyone dying was because it was setting the atmosphere for the anime and showing how the people of 86 were treated and the outcome of them being thrown into constant battles like they are expandable.

I understand the story and what it tries to tell us the viewers but my criticism comes from the realism perspective of the show. I just find it too convenient for them to have time to react and manage to survive without much of an injury and the blast to only barely touches them(in reality anything can happen, take Erwin Rommel or Osama bin Laden's case for example both are two powerful and experienced people but they still die unexpectedly from a surprised attack). Even if they are the best of the 86(I kinda disagree with this since from what I see they're just lucky, even though they're the one that survived but that doesn't necessarily means that they are best of their former squad) they still have similar chance of dying in the battlefield like others(ex : Ferdinand Magellan). Furthermore, they're almost always at the frontline, severely out numbered and at a disadvantage side in most occasion(similar to the first part or worse).

I don't actually hate plot armor but this is just a little bit too much for my liking. As a whole, I still really enjoy this Anime and consider this as one of the best anime of this year(if not the best).
Hot_Green_TeaDec 16, 2021 12:06 PM
Dec 16, 2021 3:12 AM
Jul 2018
The opposite actually, I think it's phenomenal. I love dialogue-heavy shows with raw realism and I adore themes surrounding the war since some of my senior family members are veterans - 86 represents their mental conditions exceptionally well.
Dec 16, 2021 3:15 AM

Mar 2016
Nope. It’s great, and it’s adapting the source material well. If it’s not your cup of tea, then it’s entirely down to your preferences.
The delays are unfortunate, but I’m pretty sure there’s no harm in being patient and understanding of the staff’s situation.
Dec 16, 2021 3:24 AM
Mar 2018
Disagree completely. This has been a fantastic adaptation of the LN and it has me eagerly waiting to see how they would adapt my favorite parts of the story.

But I honestly think the delayed releases contributed to fatigue and a lack of interest so I can sort of see why some people would lose interest. I know some who choose to binge-watch it after the season ends though (like what happened in Re:zero season 2 part 2)
Dec 16, 2021 3:30 AM
Mar 2018
BetaMaleUltra said:

Part 2 on the other hand?? Phenomenal. Anime of the year material. If you're still bored, then yes perhaps this isn't quite your cup of tea

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious to know why you think part 1 is boring compared to part 2? No hate or judgment, just interested to know your reasoning.
Dec 16, 2021 3:51 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
F9s said:
BetaMaleUltra said:

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious to know why you think part 1 is boring compared to part 2? No hate or judgment, just interested to know your reasoning.

No legitimate reasoning, I just personally found it boring. It was a lot of talk about issues I didn't care about, among characters I didn't care about. It definitely picked up around the last couple episodes though. But now that we're in Part 2 and I know and care for our characters a little more, it definitely upped the enjoyment factor for me

NYANPASU
5700XT

Dec 16, 2021 4:14 AM

Mar 2016
Eren_Cho said:
The opposite actually, I think it's phenomenal. I love dialogue-heavy shows with raw realism and I adore themes surrounding the war since some of my senior family members are veterans - 86 represents their mental conditions exceptionally well.

I’ve actually seen several military veterans or people associated with military veterans speak of 86 in this way. Really interesting huh. I think someone made a thread on this here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1964419
Dec 16, 2021 5:45 AM
Jul 2018
Shishou_23 said:
Eren_Cho said:

I’ve actually seen several military veterans or people associated with military veterans speak of 86 in this way. Really interesting huh. I think someone made a thread on this here: https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1964419

Thank you for sharing!!! I'll make sure to check this thread out. I'm also very interested, I grew up in an environment with veterans narrating their experiences in war. At least the ones who were in the right mind.
Dec 16, 2021 6:46 AM

Sep 2021
I like the first season more. The dialogue between our main cast of characters and the Federacy feels like it's on repeat every single episode. Hearing the same thing almost every 10 minutes is repetitive and annoying. Also, we have barely seen Lena this season.
Dec 16, 2021 8:56 AM

Jul 2017
Yeah this cour's been more boring than the first easily. I loved the first season initially, only find it to be decent now with a lack of real world building and nuance there, but at least the 86 characters had some real time to bond with each other and create some good chemistry there and with their Processor too. This cour's had one or two really good episodes and the rest have been... meh. Characters, storytelling, interactions between others, nothing really to be inspired by this cour positively. Only the brief action scenes look good.

Do feel like the final few episodes will be better though for the action and 'drama' involved being more intense consistently but the journey to get to here hasn't been my favorite. Especially without the delays, but I am curious about the state of the final episode and whether that too would be delayed or not due to scheduling reasons with another anime and the timeslot there.
Dec 16, 2021 9:14 AM

Mar 2016
It’s only getting really killed by the delays, which aren’t an issue when binging. Personally don’t find this boring at all, but it does lack the evocative strength of the 1st cour imho.
Dec 16, 2021 9:35 AM
Mar 2020
I liked the first part more. It had more to it than this season imo. This part is generally slow. It seems like nothings going on plot wise even though they’re literally at war fighting like wild animals. I wish they would expand more on the situations between the countries and what lead the things to go the way they are. I believe those will be covered in next seasons though. Overall this part has been a really slow burner for me.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Dec 16, 2021 11:54 AM
Oct 2018
Pred8r said:

Massive L, absolutely disagree
Dec 16, 2021 2:34 PM
Feb 2020
I’m honestly liking it a lot more now. The first few episodes of this season weren’t that good but now it’s becoming great imo.
Dec 16, 2021 4:26 PM
May 2021
You have to get into tbh, this anime isn’t for everyone can’t lie, depends how u view this anime in terms theme.
Dec 16, 2021 4:37 PM

Aug 2019
The material for this cour definitely isn't as engaging as it's predecessor.

If Cour 1 was a 7/10, then this is probably a 6.
Dec 16, 2021 7:36 PM

Sep 2020
Pred8r said:

Yh I agree somewhat, I'm really struggling to get into this season and the delays aren't helping either.

Arteta's Tricky Reds!

Dec 16, 2021 11:33 PM
Apr 2019
Everytime someone mentions that part 1/Vol 1 had better characters, I lose couple of my braincells. Like really? Mfs literally saying cannon fodders are better than characters which are relevant to the story throughout 3-4 arcs lmao.

Also, the Frederica hate is probably the dumbest thing I've seen from the anime onlies. I've seen much more annoying/irrelevant loli characters in many so-called "masterpiece" shows, and people seem to unironically love those characters.
Dec 17, 2021 12:02 AM

Mar 2016
Sb98 said:
Everytime someone mentions that part 1/Vol 1 had better characters, I lose couple of my braincells. Like really? Mfs literally saying cannon fodders are better than characters which are relevant to the story throughout 3-4 arcs lmao.

Also, the Frederica hate is probably the dumbest thing I've seen from the anime onlies. I've seen much more annoying/irrelevant loli characters in many so-called "masterpiece" shows, and people seem to unironically love those characters.

It’s pretty easy for others to see that this arc is dedicated to tackling shin’s mental dilemma. It is much more focused than season 1 which tackled the 86 as a whole through out. I find this good since the anime is capable of developing its protagonist’s character and giving it more depth by focusing on his struggles and inner turmoil. If someone says shin was a better character in 86 cour 1, I would find their statement highly questionable.

As for Frederica, I agree. She’s pretty relevant to the story and is played off as a parallel to shin back when he was around her age early on (wanting to chase the ghost of her knight). She has reasons to be who she is. She has her own guilts and regrets. She’s the last empress which ties her to the world building. I have seen way worse cases of lolis being shoehorned into series for much less relevant reasons. Also, her ability to see the past and present makes her dynamic with shin interesting since she can see shin’s memories (the burden he carries, etc) and his present, and she presses shin on the flaws of his mentality and acts as an opposing force to him and the rest of the 86. Last episode was a nice example when shin tells her I told you to close your eyes, and she says I can see your memories cause you carry their burden.
Dec 17, 2021 1:22 AM
Apr 2019
Shishou_23 said:
Sb98 said:

It’s pretty easy for others to see that this arc is dedicated to tackling shin’s mental dilemma. It is much more focused than season 1 which tackled the 86 as a whole through out. I find this good since the anime is capable of developing its protagonist’s character and giving it more depth by focusing on his struggles and inner turmoil. If someone says shin was a better character in 86 cour 1, I would find their statement highly questionable.

As for Frederica, I agree. She’s pretty relevant to the story and is played off as a parallel to shin back when he was around her age early on (wanting to chase the ghost of her knight). She has reasons to be who she is. She has her own guilts and regrets. She’s the last empress which ties her to the world building. I have seen way worse cases of lolis being shoehorned into series for much less relevant reasons. Also, her ability to see the past and present makes her dynamic with shin interesting since she can see shin’s memories (the burden he carries, etc) and his present, and she presses shin on the flaws of his mentality and acts as an opposing force to him and the rest of the 86. Last episode was a nice example when shin tells her I told you to close your eyes, and she says I can see your memories cause you carry their burden.

Exactly what I'm trying to say. Also, the whole squad would have been dead if this "irrelevant loli" was not there lmao
Dec 17, 2021 7:03 AM
Nov 2020
It’s just bc of the delays that the show is feeling a little slow to you. I’m pretty sure that feeling will go away once this episode comes out tomorrow and we go back to a normal schedule. This season has been amazing thus far, but the delays are a little frustrating.
Dec 18, 2021 2:30 AM

Aug 2008
Personally i dont care if others find it boring , dull etc. I like it, and is enough for me .😌😎
The spider is watching
Dec 18, 2021 7:39 AM

Oct 2021
Pred8r said:

Giving God of Highschool a 9/10 explains that u aren’t ready for understanding subtle stories or seinen demographic animes . U invest on action animes or slice of life cute girls more than hard dialogue delivered and mainly characters concentrated anime . Even if I recommend u to watch Monogatari series u will end up calling it boring.
AtoferatofeDec 18, 2021 7:44 AM
Dec 18, 2021 8:30 AM
Jan 2021
Mq84jdk said:
Pred8r said:

Couldn’t disagree more. This season is even more hype then the last
so true, this season gives me soooo much hype
Dec 18, 2021 8:33 AM

Jan 2014
xenosys said:
The material for this cour definitely isn't as engaging as it's predecessor.

If Cour 1 was a 7/10, then this is probably a 6.

Pretty much sums it up. Whenever there was delays I would get relieved because I wouldn't have to watch an 86 episode that week. You could say why don't I just drop it...well I'm this far into the series I might as well finish it, would rather not add to my long af drop list
Dec 18, 2021 8:29 PM

Jun 2021
Xshake said:
Pred8r said:

Giving God of Highschool a 9/10 explains that u aren’t ready for understanding subtle stories or seinen demographic animes . U invest on action animes or slice of life cute girls more than hard dialogue delivered and mainly characters concentrated anime . Even if I recommend u to watch Monogatari series u will end up calling it boring.
Mate the only cute girls anime I've watched is k on and that too only 10 episodes of first season and I was just stating my opinion
I didn't say “its boring and y'all shouldn't watch it either or other bullshit like that”
But true I don't like dilogue based anime cause they are boring for me as I don't want to waste time on that type of stuff
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone else feel like this season was a lot worse than season 1 ( 1 2 )

Cudlyyy - Jul 27, 2023

85 by Spenter »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 19, 2022

529 by FredgHar »»
Apr 21, 3:20 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 23, 2021

154 by Daegan17 »»
Apr 10, 11:37 AM

Poll: » 86 Part 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 9, 2021

208 by Tyon »»
Mar 5, 9:34 PM

» Season 2

Brittaman12 - Dec 17, 2023

28 by Warchiii »»
Feb 27, 10:18 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.