Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 9, 2021 2:00 AM
Aug 2019
Is it just me or do y’all think that this movie was all over the place. Because when I watched it with my friend a while back, we sat there for about a good hour and discussed about how the movie was all over the place, how it hardly carried anything from the show besides flashbacks to the obstacles she faced to get there, how the movie seemed rushed to begin with and didn’t give to us what was intended and promised, and I feel if the incident of Kyoto Studios didn’t happen, this movie would’ve been differently by a lot, but I’m not disrespecting them and being mad at them for what we got but I’m instead I’m actually happy they did pull through and wiped out this despite the tragedy that happened. But I feel like if they should’ve delayed it more to give it more time to think about it. And we also felt as if the movie was going by slow, and how the ending was also unsatisfying.

I would like to know y’all thoughts.
Dec 9, 2021 2:23 AM
Apr 2021
Personally, I liked the movie, the ending sort of suites the type of story, but I get the "Rushed part". I am yet to read the full novel including gaiden, Ever After, to compare it all.
Dec 9, 2021 3:18 AM
Sep 2021
If they delayed it it would never have come out, have you heard of the arson attack on the day after they finished it? Exactly
Dec 9, 2021 4:07 AM
Sep 2021
DekuGasu said:
Is it just me or do y’all think that this movie was all over the place. Because when I watched it with my friend a while back, we sat there for about a good hour and discussed about how the movie was all over the place, how it hardly carried anything from the show besides flashbacks to the obstacles she faced to get there, how the movie seemed rushed to begin with and didn’t give to us what was intended and promised, and I feel if the incident of Kyoto Studios didn’t happen, this movie would’ve been differently by a lot, but I’m not disrespecting them and being mad at them for what we got but I’m instead I’m actually happy they did pull through and wiped out this despite the tragedy that happened. But I feel like if they should’ve delayed it more to give it more time to think about it. And we also felt as if the movie was going by slow, and how the ending was also unsatisfying.

I personally Loved it Alot, Like I didn't feel it was rushed at all. Before watching this movie with my mom, we thought it was just going to be a recap of the show with some added parts, but what we got instead was something absolutely amazing. It was definitely worth the wait. But obviously your opinon is completely valid as well, (I know a thing or two about having a unpopular opinon LOL, No worries)!
Dec 9, 2021 4:14 AM
Nov 2020
I thought it was a great end to the story, made me cry like a baby 10/10
Biggest flaw was my eyes hurt afterwards 👌
Dec 9, 2021 4:15 AM

Jan 2021
Kinda agree. I just didn't liked the overall idea of Captain being alive.
Dec 9, 2021 4:47 AM
Jun 2021
I've been feeling the same since i watched it. violet evergarden is one of my fav animes but the final movie felt a bit dramatic,especially the final scene was really cliche and seemed to come out of a Disney movie lol. Tho its still a very beautiful movie and worth watching.
Dec 9, 2021 5:48 AM

Jan 2021
I thought it was phenomenal. It showed the completion of Violet's character arc while also showing why the Major didn't believe they could be together at first: he didn't know how independent she had become, and believed she was still dependent on him. It was only after he knew about her growth as a person that he could bring himself to stay with her.

It also showed how Violet continued to inspire people after her passing, but as she had in life. A beautiful movie.
Dec 9, 2021 6:14 AM
Mar 2021
KiR4T said:
she survived with no aems and he was never claimed dead only as missing in action.
Dec 9, 2021 6:15 AM
Mar 2021
DekuGasu said:

"It was rushed but it also was slow paced" thats a you thing.
Mar 2021
DekuGasu said:

Mar 2021
DekuGasu said:

Dec 9, 2021 6:21 AM
Aug 2020
Before I start, I absolutely love the anime. It is definitely one of my favorites *and my favorite in the non comedy genre.

I had very high hopes for the movie and was looking forward to it from the day the first trailer was officially released. I am not "disappointed" with the movie but it certainly didnt live up to my (entirely personal) expectations.

As for the movie, I was so confused when I watched the first couple minutes, i had to recheck if netflix aired the right one *_*.
So yes, I do agree with you, i did feel it being a bit over the place as well. It was a long wait to finally see the pair. But I must say, I honestly feel as though we were deprived of more Violet x Gilbert scenes. We barely got 5 mins of them in the same frame. I really wanted the movie to emphasize more on their relationship.

I understand that they wanted to show Violet's growth as a human first before her seeing gilbert again. And this may sound clichè but I really wanted more than half or atleast half of the movie to be about Violet x Gilbert's life as a couple. And the last 20-30 minutes could've showed how Violet's life had an impact and stuff like that. But again just my opinion.
Dec 9, 2021 7:15 AM

Jan 2021
TurnipFan said:
KiR4T said:
she survived with no aems and he was never claimed dead only as missing in action.

He literally has a grave though.
Dec 9, 2021 7:17 AM
Mar 2021
KiR4T said:
TurnipFan said:

He literally has a grave though.
yes because when someone vanishes for years they end up assumed dead and are written off. Happens in real life as well. "Presumed dead". They had no body to bury as his family said. So if you dont return or contact your family and nobody knows where you are after some time you are written off as dead.
Dec 9, 2021 7:26 AM

Jan 2020
I agree. I think it's no surprise that KyoAni planned for the movie from the start to make more money out of the story, and I wish they didn't. I didn't have a problem with the TV series. The movie though suffered from many things. The first one being how they didn't focus on the main idea the way they should have. I really loved the side story of the ill boy, I liked it more than the main story, but because of it, less time was given to the rest. I think the way they executed the ending was very rushed and felt incomplete to me at least. They left a lot to imagination. I think after a 1 year wait, it's safe to say that we were expecting more than that. I wouldn't relate it to the accident that happened. I think it's caused by following a very different execution from that followed in the LN. They shuffled and changed many things, and I think it came back to bite them in the butt.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Dec 9, 2021 7:57 AM

Nov 2019
The movie was a reward for the fan, but it held nothing of development for the character, especially the leading Evergarden and Dear Sir Major. An empty beauty.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Dec 9, 2021 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
It likely wouldn't have been any different. The movie was allegedly already finished by the time the incident happened, which is why they were able to release by the end of 2020, after the survivors were declared "recovered".

And FYI, it was delayed. The delay was for the recovery of the aforementioned people who survived the attack, not to finish the movie.
removed-userDec 9, 2021 10:01 AM
Dec 9, 2021 10:34 AM
Mar 2021
I suppose, plot wise it is a little messy. I didn't like that they brought back the major. Though, they handled it nicely. It was all about making amends and living a happy life. I still really loved this movie and even though I didn't agree with the direction they went with, I can still appreciate their fantastic execution.
Dec 9, 2021 10:45 AM
Mar 2021
samthestan said:
I suppose, plot wise it is a little messy. I didn't like that they brought back the major. Though, they handled it nicely. It was all about making amends and living a happy life. I still really loved this movie and even though I didn't agree with the direction they went with, I can still appreciate their fantastic execution.

"I didn't like that they brought back the major."

Well he was never confirmed dead, his body was never found. The grave was made just to give his family a peace of mind. After a certain amount of years people are declared dead if nothing shows up & nobody has seen them for years regardless of if its during war times or peace times.

He suffered lesser injuries than Violet so why would he not have survived vs her who lost both arms? By right she would of been the one to die there vs him scientifically speaking.
Dec 9, 2021 11:17 AM
Mar 2021
TurnipFan said:
samthestan said:

Well he was never confirmed dead, his body was never found. The grave was made just to give his family a peace of mind. After a certain amount of years people are declared dead if nothing shows up & nobody has seen them for years regardless of if its during war times or peace times.

He suffered lesser injuries than Violet so why would he not have survived vs her who lost both arms? By right she would of been the one to die there vs him scientifically speaking.
For me the story was all about Violet finding herself without the major's help. So when he's back I feel like Violet goes back to being her old self. Though, the way the film handles it, Violet continues being her best new self while still getting closure with the major, which is why I didn't mind that much in the end. Still bugged me a little bit.
Also the bit of the major being MIA instead of KIA, is a detail I forgot, so continuity wise it does makes sense that he was still out there.
And yes medically speaking, Violet was less likely to survive... Though she got shot one time in the arm and it fell off... That doesn't happen IRL either... So it's give and take.
Dec 9, 2021 11:23 AM
Mar 2021
samthestan said:
TurnipFan said:

For me the story was all about Violet finding herself without the major's help. So when he's back I feel like Violet goes back to being her old self. Though, the way the film handles it, Violet continues being her best new self while still getting closure with the major, which is why I didn't mind that much in the end. Still bugged me a little bit.
Also the bit of the major being MIA instead of KIA, is a detail I forgot, so continuity wise it does makes sense that he was still out there.
And yes medically speaking, Violet was less likely to survive... Though she got shot one time in the arm and it fell off... That doesn't happen IRL either... So it's give and take.

Ever seen what a 50 caliber rifle shot can do? (Although they were not using close to that kind of weapon back then) However I feel like she did not revert to her old self. She cried her eyes out and was so emotional that she was unable to speak vs how she showed next to no emotions before.

However it is clear that her relationship with the Major is not a healthy one but I can understand her feeling relieved finally seeing him after so many years apart when he was the first person that treated her nicely.

Felt kind of like "the dog finally returns to its master" which is unhealthy but beautiful at the same time.
Dec 9, 2021 11:34 AM
Mar 2021
TurnipFan said:
samthestan said:

Ever seen what a 50 caliber rifle shot can do? (Although they were not using close to that kind of weapon back then) However I feel like she did not revert to her old self. She cried her eyes out and was so emotional that she was unable to speak vs how she showed next to no emotions before.

However it is clear that her relationship with the Major is not a healthy one but I can understand her feeling relieved finally seeing him after so many years apart when he was the first person that treated her nicely.

Felt kind of like "the dog finally returns to its master" which is unhealthy but beautiful at the same time.
That's the perfect analogy!
Also old school rifles weren't doing that much damage, most on the time it would be a through and through. But it's gotta be dramatic so the arm comes off!!
Dec 9, 2021 10:34 PM
Aug 2020
My opinion on the Violet Evergarden is honestly quite mixed; on the one hand it made sense to make this part of the story into a movie because a whole season dedicated to it would have killed the pacing, but at the same time the movie tries to do a lot of things and has to carry a weight of ideas.

The one constant idea that I felt the movie did best was the portrayal of a technologically advancing society; the Auto-Memory Dolls’ uncertainty over their future and place in the world was captured well. You could argue that the entire movie is essentially dedicated to this one idea. The subplot with Yuris was not particularly memorable but was necessary for the theme of communication and the power of technology in this.

I surprisingly didn’t care much for the main plot. Could it have been better if it was more ambiguous? Probably not. The film Millennium Actress did a good job of showing a woman looking for a man over many years through her career, and as she claims “it was chasing him that I loved most”. Maybe Violet could have learned the meaning of I Love You and then kept searching for her Major, leaving the story in a state where we have to ponder instead of the melodramatic ending we got. Perhaps my opinion on that will change and I’ll accept it for what it is: satisfying.
Dec 10, 2021 5:22 AM

Mar 2020
I was completely let down by this movie. I really didn't like the direction they decided to go by bringing back the major. It's not that is doesn't make sense, it's just that it took away the beautiful ambiguity of the original ending.

Remember seeing Violet surprised and smiling in the last scene of the series? I remember thinking that it very well could have been her finally finding the major. But the show never explicitly tells you. And it doesn't matter. Because the development of her character throughout the series, as she learns to love, and feel and understand, tells us that no matter what she's to face in the future, she'll be fine. She has great friends, a great job, a meaningful purpose- she is living the life the major wanted for her, and she was able to find her own path while independent from him. Yet this movie decides to present violet as again fully dependent on the major and shows her throwing away all that she worked for just to be with him. I just feel like it's a complete 180 of her character.

Plus, I don't like the fact that the story is so focused in Violet in the fist place. The series was structured in a way where we were told the story of others through violet's eyes, and by structuring this way, violet's development is presented very gradually and organically as she experiences the many aspects of human emotions and nature. Basically, my point is that I never found Violet herself to be as interesting and her interactions with the people she helps, people who live different lives yet bear fimilar burdens to her. And her story in this movie was far too dramatic at certain points. I remember thinking towards the end: "please don't tell me she's going to jump off the boat and swim to him".

Basically, I feel like this movie doesn't really justify it's existence and it would have better if we were just left to think, rather than getting this definite ending. However, while I wasn't the biggest fan, this movie clearly touched many people and that is never a bad thing.
Dec 15, 2021 12:52 AM

Oct 2018
the series is way better and the movie is literally a fanservice for the fans who are shipping for the two. The character development of Violey is enough to be beautiful but the thing they put Gilbert suddenly in the picture sucked ass.

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Dec 15, 2021 10:50 PM

Dec 2019
I just didn’t like the movie. Violet was doing well, she was developing and becoming her own person w/o the captain. This movie was just intended for those who ship them lol. The only thing I really liked was the portrayal of technological advances & it’s effect on the dolls. Also I’m not a fan of VE as a whole so I might have started the movie expecting to not like it.
Dec 25, 2021 4:24 AM
Nov 2019
alxison said:
I just didn’t like the movie. Violet was doing well, she was developing and becoming her own person w/o the captain. This movie was just intended for those who ship them lol. The only thing I really liked was the portrayal of technological advances & it’s effect on the dolls. Also I’m not a fan of VE as a whole so I might have started the movie expecting to not like it.

She was still her own person even after reunion ,the fact that she carry on her legacy as a doll is proof of that .
Dec 25, 2021 4:48 AM
Nov 2019
samashi20 said:
I agree. I think it's no surprise that KyoAni planned for the movie from the start to make more money out of the story, and I wish they didn't. I didn't have a problem with the TV series. The movie though suffered from many things. The first one being how they didn't focus on the main idea the way they should have. I really loved the side story of the ill boy, I liked it more than the main story, but because of it, less time was given to the rest. I think the way they executed the ending was very rushed and felt incomplete to me at least. They left a lot to imagination. I think after a 1 year wait, it's safe to say that we were expecting more than that. I wouldn't relate it to the accident that happened. I think it's caused by following a very different execution from that followed in the LN. They shuffled and changed many things, and I think it came back to bite them in the butt.

Lol this movie was their most successful after Silent voice.
Dec 26, 2021 12:08 PM

Jan 2020
Pranavk27 said:
samashi20 said:

I mean that doesn't mean it's good though. I had issues with it, but others like it. No one is in the wrong here, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Dec 28, 2021 12:44 PM
Nov 2019
samashi20 said:
Pranavk27 said:

I mean that doesn't mean it's good though. I had issues with it, but others like it. No one is in the wrong here, I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.

Most people liked it , that means its good . Well you are not obligated to like it but don't say just " beacuse I dont like it means its not good ".
Dec 29, 2021 3:20 PM

Jul 2017
I hated the original series but this movie was definitely worse for me and felt more like a clusterfuck to conclude it more than anything for me. It was an... interesting experience at the cinemas seeing how everything played out to say the least, lots of ranting after it with me to my mates.
Dec 29, 2021 6:06 PM

Jul 2021
yea fair. i still loved it

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

aku_mado - Sep 18, 2020

321 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Yesterday, 4:28 PM

» Romance between gilbert and violet ( 1 2 )

NaCreamy - May 7, 2021

70 by DesolatePsyche »»
Mar 26, 1:53 AM

» The ending is horrible in my opinion ( 1 2 3 )

HeSaidArise - Sep 3, 2023

104 by EntireInternet »»
Mar 24, 2:33 PM

» Usagi Drop similarities (spoiler)

RealNath - Jan 26

14 by veroubri »»
Jan 27, 5:36 AM

» Should I watch the movie or TV show first?

Damon_dinh - Aug 9, 2023

29 by Ronaldthompson »»
Oct 15, 2023 4:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.