Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Dec 4, 2021 5:20 PM

May 2020
definitely prefer the older one. i was pretty shocked and upset when i came back and looked at my profile lol
I said with a posed look
Dec 4, 2021 6:41 PM

Jul 2014
Not only does it look worse, but it also lost functionality and information at a glance.

Now you can't see what anime/manga a character is from without hovering over them, AND you can't click on the name of the source material to go directly to it like you could previously.
The truth is best told straight.
Dec 4, 2021 8:41 PM

Dec 2019
nyugvo6 said:
if you absolutely want them to be arranged like this, AT LEAST make sure the site can display all 10.

Use this for that

https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/436562-better-mal-favs
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Dec 4, 2021 11:08 PM

Feb 2008
MAL should give its users the option for either format.
In sterquiliniis invenitur.
Dec 5, 2021 3:28 AM
Aug 2010
Current layout seems temporary, see this announcement thread by Kineta => https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1976605

As a temporary solution if you prefer a more compact style I've written a userstyle => https://userstyles.org/styles/221243/myanimelist-mal-classic-favorites

Dec 5, 2021 3:45 AM

Apr 2017
lpf said:
Current layout seems temporary, see this announcement thread by Kineta => https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1976605

As a temporary solution if you prefer a more compact style I've written a userstyle => https://userstyles.org/styles/221243/myanimelist-mal-classic-favorites

Nice, good work. Is the image size customizable in the source code?

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Dec 5, 2021 3:29 PM

Nov 2017
I don't care about extra scrolling, but larger thumbnails take too much space.

Old version looked nice and tight.
Dec 5, 2021 6:44 PM

May 2009
Partyu said:
^ Agree with both suggestions

This change looks awful and feels utterly miserable to use

Edit: another thing I don't think I've seen someone mention in this thread is that changing the display from vertical to horizontal feels like it deemphasizes each item's rank. With the top-to-botton display, you clearly got the sense that if an anime was visually above another anime then the user believed the former was better, but now that favorites are displayed from left to right they feel more like a vague collection of items than a distinct ranking.
I've read someone say that they like the fact that ranking is de-emphasized in the new system. But, personally, I came up with a way to de-emphasize ranking in the old system -- I just put everything in alphabetical or reverse alphabetical order.

De-emphasizing the rankings is definitely not something that warranted adding extra clicks to viewing favorites, though.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 5, 2021 7:49 PM

Feb 2018
They wanted to make it look modern, but the only thing they did is make it look older than it was, it doesn't compare to anilist
Dec 5, 2021 8:14 PM

Aug 2007
I've been a user since 2007 and I have never seen a site layout this bad in my entire life. Perfect reminder for me to stay the hell away from this dumpster fire of a site

Dec 5, 2021 11:09 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
the hate is still on huh? hilarious

fr tho, I hate it too
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Dec 5, 2021 11:17 PM

Jan 2013
No u

Astalo said:
I don't care about extra scrolling, but larger thumbnails take too much space.

Old version looked nice and tight.

3miL said:
the hate is still on huh? hilarious

fr tho, I hate it too
Yep, shit looks cluttered and messy.
Please go back.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 6, 2021 2:50 AM

Dec 2014
Just reduce your favs to a top 8 or less smile

In all seriousness MAL supporters kinda got shafted hard with this update lmao, having a top 20 in every category is probably so annoying for them.
Dec 6, 2021 5:22 AM

Feb 2010
I have a theme now where you can make your favorites look exactly like the old favorites, as close as I can see from looking at old pages at least. The one exception being all favorites will be shown by default no need to hit a button for them. However you can shorten the faves section if you want to see less faves by default.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1977172

Another issue is MAL shit on the quality of small pics possibly for the recent favorites change, seems to be an issue on user comments now, so I prefer to use a version of the original faves with big pics lol
Dec 6, 2021 6:30 AM

Apr 2017
This is just ugly. Who even decided this?

Look how jagged and pixelated the thumbnails are.

Look how awful the cropping is on the profile images of characters/people where the image is in landscape format!

The empty space in the user profile looks even more lopsided if you have more favorites in one category than in the others, than it did before.

This reeks of "change things just to claim we changed something, no matter if the changes make sense or not".
Dec 7, 2021 1:14 AM

Sep 2014
just make the rest of the stuff not hidden and no one would be complaining 😂

personally I like using this more than the desktop or usual squished mobile layout - I've tested a lot of browsers but can only see this layout with Puffin & Ecosia:

even the forums look different with those 2 browsers
https://postimg.cc/R3MBt3V6

« »
🔮 Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Dec 7, 2021 7:38 AM

Dec 2019
Dec 7, 2021 8:17 AM

Apr 2017
@hacker09

The images look just as crispy in your previews, only resized to be even smaller than they already are.

And that still doesn't undo the bad decisions the MAL devs made without consulting anyone. The point is to get this across to them.
Dec 7, 2021 8:30 AM

Dec 2019
@Pande91

You have to install it to see the changes, the preview is from the old version were images did not fill the whole card box.

Next updates will come where you can have more customization options, like having the old mal favorites style.

I just wanted to let you know that in case you want your images fixed, use that.
Click here to see My Tampermonkey Scripts For MAL

If you like my work, please consider supporting it!
https://www.patreon.com/hacker09

Dec 7, 2021 11:43 AM

May 2017
Which decision was this shitty change without first making polls or threads on the forum?

This crap is what happens when a few imbeciles are in a position to decide for a majority.

You can already put your fav op/ed's and genres in the Profile settings > My details > About me section for everybody to see when enters your profile.

Stop being retarded and bring back old favs.
Dec 7, 2021 11:57 AM

Aug 2019
Maybe it's just me, but the image quality looks better than it did before. I still prefer the old format, however.
Dec 7, 2021 2:38 PM

May 2014
It is a shame really. I enjoyed clicking on people's profiles to browse their favourites. I could instantly see top 10+ anime, manga, characters and people with one click. Now i have to press the arrow to view all the categories and then click multiple times more to scroll. Also can't see what show the character is from without hovering over the image now. Who approved this garbage?

Give us the option to go back to the original design. I thought MAL was glitching and switched to mobile fave layout when i first saw it lol.
Dec 7, 2021 6:24 PM
Dec 22, 2021 9:26 AM

Jul 2016
King22TA said:
get with the times scrubs

Lmfao, says the guys that can't even use BBCode correctly.

For the people browsing, use this stylish addon to make it look like the classic
DooMWhiteDec 22, 2021 9:33 AM

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

Dec 28, 2021 3:32 AM

May 2015
is there a way to go back to the old version? thank you
My Candies:
Dec 28, 2021 5:39 AM

Feb 2010
Trypo said:
is there a way to go back to the old version? thank you

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1977172
My theme is the closest to it I think, I use it now (top one on that page). Install instructions on that page.

One difference is I set it to show all faves by default however it can be customized to hide faves again after a certain number is shown (like 10). Also due to MAL's update I don't think its possible to make the secondary grey text a separate link anymore (at least not with CSS), however the blue links and pics are clickable as before.

Shishio-kunDec 28, 2021 5:43 AM
Dec 28, 2021 9:24 AM

May 2015
OMG!!! Thank you so much. I use this website everyday so it was bugging the heck out of me. You are amazing. Thanks for creating this T_T
My Candies:
Dec 28, 2021 10:40 AM

Feb 2010
Trypo said:
OMG!!! Thank you so much. I use this website everyday so it was bugging the heck out of me. You are amazing. Thanks for creating this T_T

Thank you so much, I appreciate the kind words :D
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.