Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 27, 2021 1:59 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I almost called this "one hit wonders" as a gag but what inspired me was seeing that Platinum End manga and slowly but steadily anime adaptation is dipping score wise.

I can't help at least noticing Shounen bound that revivals of hit mangaka are failing spectacularly. Burn the Witch by Kubo was obnoxiously mediocre, even if I'd like to have wished for it to be better than it turned out to be. Samurai 8 was too hyped up from the magazine only to fall on it's face 5 volumes in. And unless you're in the Mashima cult, lot of people are not feeling the same commitment to Eden Zero.

I have to assume this is why most new blood has been pumped in and worked for these magazines. Personally I think a lot of these just feel like rehashes of their older series with their early 2000s story devices layers on them. And not that Togashi is the only mangaka with two hit series but they're not reaching those types of higher highs.

To be honest I feel like shoujo and possibly even senin magazines, produce artists that last more than a single series. It also could be due to burn out. Makes me wonder slash worry with artists that started in the mid 2010s and how they'll continue with future releases.
Nov 27, 2021 7:13 PM

Jan 2016
Ohba and Obata for sure; Platinum End is so bad it sort of retroactively makes Death Note look worse. It literally made me question whether or not they'd just been hacks all along.
Nov 27, 2021 7:36 PM
May 2020
I would say Norihiro Yagi. He reach his peak when he creating 2 masterpiece, Angel Densetsu and Claymore. And now Ariadne in the blue sky quality is dropped too much compared to that 2 manga, after Ariadne this guy better to retire for good.

Hiro Mashima is never reach the highest level, but his peak i think is in Rave, fairy tail and edens zero is just garbo.

I think in ohba and obata case, they just reach their peak too fast and past their prime too fast to. Even death note for me like a half good half bad manga. And Bakuman is like their journey story, after that this mangaka is done. Making an inferior version of mirai nikki. Mirai nikki is already bad, but this mangaka make a manga who worse than that.
Nov 27, 2021 7:37 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
LadyStardust97 said:
Ohba and Obata for sure; Platinum End is so bad it sort of retroactively makes Death Note look worse. It literally made me question whether or not they'd just been hacks all along.

I mean I haven't consumed any of Bakuman (Obata also did Hikaru no Go but with a different author) but I think Platinum End was them trying to chase the feel of their best success. Which feels so counterproductive to the style they were growing away from.

But that's my point, a lot these mangaka are trying to chase past success when trying new ground probably would get them a lot more praise.
Nov 27, 2021 7:53 PM

Jan 2016
Stripes said:
LadyStardust97 said:

I mean I haven't consumed any of Bakuman (Obata also did Hikaru no Go but with a different author) but I think Platinum End was them trying to chase the feel of their best success. Which feels so counterproductive to the style they were growing away from.

But that's my point, a lot these mangaka are trying to chase past success when trying new ground probably would get them a lot more praise.

Yeah, I didn't articulate it fully but I definitely feel like this is one of the worst things about Platinum End; it's Death Note rehashed but worse. Kishimoto and Kubo also fell into this, I think? I never got around to reading Kishimoto's Samurai 8, so I'm not sure exactly how much of it falls into that 'rehashing comfortable and successful tropes' zone. I think the current wave of IP revivals and nostalgia-chasing has made this worse; people seem less willing to try new things creatively, even if taking those big risks was what established them in the first place.
Nov 27, 2021 8:13 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Lostintour said:
I would say Norihiro Yagi. He reach his peak when he creating 2 masterpiece, Angel Densetsu and Claymore. And now Ariadne in the blue sky quality is dropped too much compared to that 2 manga, after Ariadne this guy better to retire for good.

Hiro Mashima is never reach the highest level, but his peak i think is in Rave, fairy tail and edens zero is just garbo.

I think in ohba and obata case, they just reach their peak too fast and past their prime too fast to. Even death note for me like a half good half bad manga. And Bakuman is like their journey story, after that this mangaka is done. Making an inferior version of mirai nikki. Mirai nikki is already bad, but this mangaka make a manga who worse than that.

Resorting to a "death game" plot in the first place made me scratch my head the first time I'd heard they were using that premise. Not saying it could never work but it feels like armature hour.

I can't speak on Norihiro Yagi but Soukyuu no Ariadne sounds really basic. The synopsis alone gives me Eureka Seven feels to the core.

Yeah I would never speak quality on anything Mashima has done but he has a too eccentric fan base who loves his clone copied characters making out so.
Nov 28, 2021 10:55 AM
May 2020
Stripes said:
Lostintour said:

Resorting to a "death game" plot in the first place made me scratch my head the first time I'd heard they were using that premise. Not saying it could never work but it feels like armature hour.

I can't speak on Norihiro Yagi but Soukyuu no Ariadne sounds really basic. The synopsis alone gives me Eureka Seven feels to the core.

Yeah I would never speak quality on anything Mashima has done but he has a too eccentric fan base who loves his clone copied characters making out so.
Ariadne is still acceptable, some people might be enjoy it, but the quality is dropped too much, some mangaka who still in their prime doesn't drop their quality that much, like Urasawa Naoki, After Monster he made 20th Century boys and next is Pluto and after that Billy bat, This is what i'm talking about, the quality of his writting is still same or if dropped just a little. Or like Sui ishida, came with Tokyo Ghoul and now Choujin X and in Choujin X i would say Ishida writting and art is improve. But Claymore and Ariadne?? Its too much, if you read Claymore first and than Ariadne you will be like "what is Norihiro Smoking last night?" the man from have many deep character in the story into almost poor written charaters.
Nov 28, 2021 7:45 PM

Jul 2008
I absolutely would not say Ohba and Obata. Death Note and Bakuman are both excellent. Platinum End is their first and only dud. Although the story sucked, Obata's art is first-rate and has been consistent for decades. No way is he past his prime.

Platinum End seemed like something left on the cutting room floor after all of Ohba's ideas in Bakuman as Ashirogi Muto. It shares some ideas with the fictional Reversi, and is pretty much the antithesis of Death Note. With the divisive ending, it seemed like an effort to do something a bit off-beat in their distinct style. It completely missed the mark, but no way am I gonna think any less of Ohba because of it. He's proven himself to be a very competent writer and writes cliffhangers like no other. I think he may even be able to out-do himself with a seinen series.
ToukaNov 28, 2021 7:51 PM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 28, 2021 9:00 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Touka said:
I absolutely would not say Ohba and Obata. Death Note and Bakuman are both excellent. Platinum End is their first and only dud. Although the story sucked, Obata's art is first-rate and has been consistent for decades. No way is he past his prime.

Platinum End seemed like something left on the cutting room floor after all of Ohba's ideas in Bakuman as Ashirogi Muto. It shares some ideas with the fictional Reversi, and is pretty much the antithesis of Death Note. With the divisive ending, it seemed like an effort to do something a bit off-beat in their distinct style. It completely missed the mark, but no way am I gonna think any less of Ohba because of it. He's proven himself to be a very competent writer and writes cliffhangers like no other. I think he may even be able to out-do himself with a seinen series.

I'm not saying Ohba/Obata or even any of the guys I mentioned, could never make something of value ever again. I'm just saying, from their follow ups, it feels like they're either recycling a lot of their old tendencies or staying in their comfort zones. I don't think any of these guys will ever create something as big as their first successes.

And as far as Death Note and Bakuman. I feel like those two were made in such close proximity of each other but they were also tonally and creatively different. Which is why I think that really worked for them.

As @lostintour mentioned Urasawa Naoki who I honestly think creatively knocks it out of the park because he picks wildly different subjects to do his series on. He obviously has his strengths within psychological but he's done sports, comedy, romance, mecha and really went far for character archetypes.

Nov 29, 2021 7:37 AM

Feb 2016
I notice your examples of disappointments are all from early 21st century mangaka. Rumiko Takahashi completed 4 long-running shounen, though Rinne was clearly written past her prime. Kenta Shinohara is a newer artist who is currently on his 3rd series.
その目だれの目?
Nov 29, 2021 8:10 AM

Jul 2008
Stripes said:
I'm not saying Ohba/Obata or even any of the guys I mentioned, could never make something of value ever again. I'm just saying, from their follow ups, it feels like they're either recycling a lot of their old tendencies or staying in their comfort zones. I don't think any of these guys will ever create something as big as their first successes.

And as far as Death Note and Bakuman. I feel like those two were made in such close proximity of each other but they were also tonally and creatively different. Which is why I think that really worked for them.

I mean, if you're talking about proximity, there was a two year gap between Death Note and Bakuman, but also only a three year gap between Bakuman and Platinum End, the difference is negligible, not that it actually makes a difference. Death Note was a massive success that certainly sets a strong precedent, but arguably Bakuman is more consistent and is almost twice the length. I don't think there was a dip in quality between Death Note and Bakuman, so I feel it's a bit far-fetched to claim they're suddenly past their prime after one dud. You also mention above that you haven't actually watched/read Bakuman. At the end of the day, three series (two of which are highly rated anyway) isn't a decent sample size.
ToukaNov 29, 2021 8:31 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Nov 29, 2021 5:33 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Lucifrost said:
I notice your examples of disappointments are all from early 21st century mangaka. Rumiko Takahashi completed 4 long-running shounen, though Rinne was clearly written past her prime. Kenta Shinohara is a newer artist who is currently on his 3rd series.

I mean I more or less seen all these guys evolve so yeah. And as I said somewhere I see this more with shounen burn out then really in senin or shoujo. Probably because of moves to different magazines even monthly publications. But even Takahashi-san, though I don't feel like she leans too far outside her comfortable wheel house. I feel like her own manga is very much her own genre with how much she's produced.
Nov 29, 2021 6:54 PM

Feb 2016
Stripes said:
Probably because of moves to different magazines even monthly publications.

I'm not even sure how they decide which magazine to use. Shinohara went from Shounen Jump to Shounen Jump+. Now he's back at the standard Shounen Jump.
その目だれの目?
Nov 30, 2021 4:59 AM

Nov 2021
I can only speak on my behalf, but I wasn't exactly keen on reading any more content by the authors of Bleach or Naruto. Fairytale was never my thing either. I mean, don't get me wrong, I appreciate some eye candy characters, but I don't like them to be the focus or only redeeming quality of a series.

I'm still reading One Piece but I doubt I'd read a follow-up manga there either. I did enjoy Promised Neverland though, which could be said to be a spiritual successor of sorts, since the One Piece author (I forget these irrelevant people's names) kept advertising for Posuka Demizu's work.

More topics from this board

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

18 by Chuckiemuffin »»
5 hours ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Manga/Character' Thread v3 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Mar 19, 2022

1042 by codelyok13 »»
8 hours ago

» I need help finding a manga that I have forgotten

codelyok13 - 8 hours ago

0 by codelyok13 »»
8 hours ago

» Do you ever skim through your Manga?

zaganGao - Jan 23

26 by Zimmu »»
Yesterday, 8:38 AM

» Top 10 most iconic manga creators objectively ranked

AlphaMaleScotty - Apr 15

22 by Lucifrost »»
Apr 17, 8:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.