Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 25, 2021 10:38 PM

Aug 2021
I tried this series as it was being released. I was 18-19 at the time, and at first I really liked what it brought it to the table. Good animation, nice introduction to slice of life (I was new to the genre at that time), and a really good, tasteful representation of LGBT+ romance that I found really progressive. Plus some moments were really cute.

This all started to change after the Twister scene. To say I was severely uncomfortable would be a heavy understatement. The whole scene seemed rather inappropriate. I let it slide, thinking it was ultimately innocent and played for humor. Sure it was suspicious as hell, but still.

What really set me off was the interactions of Lucoa and Shouta. Severely inappropriate, in my eyes. An older woman sexually teasing a boy that's too young to consent even in Japanese law. And it was pretty obvious Shouta was a very confused child that wasn't even fully mentally mature, and could not properly consent. I was disgusted especially at the beach episode. I know for a fact that if the genders were reversed between the two characters, anime fans around the world would be outraged and the series would be cancelled.

People have used the argument that Lucoa is unfamiliar with human society so her actions are acceptable, and that argument does not work for me. People also say to skip those parts, and that also isn't very convincing. Why skip 1/4 of a series? I've never had to do that before, because no series has disgusted me this much before.

I'm not here to start a fight or insult anyone. Though this has legitimately bothered me for a good while (and almost made me quit anime entirely), including the past several months. I want to see if I'm really judging it too harshly or if it really is "child endangerment and grooming: the anime". I gave it a 1/10, because no amount of quality animation, good parts unrelated to that side plot, or anything could possibly make up for such an appalling act to me.

Edit: I’ve decided the series isn’t for me, and I won’t be going back to it. If you’re a fan, I’m glad you can enjoy it. Everyone has their own tastes.
CyberPsychosisNov 26, 2021 10:29 PM
Nov 25, 2021 10:48 PM
Oct 2020
TMR98 said:
I tried this series as it was being released. I was 18-19 at the time, and at first I really liked what it brought it to the table. Good animation, nice introduction to slice of life (I was new to the genre at that time), and a really good, tasteful representation of LGBT+ romance that I found really progressive. Plus some moments were really cute.

This all started to change after the Twister scene. To say I was severely uncomfortable would be a heavy understatement. The whole scene seemed rather inappropriate. I let it slide, thinking it was ultimately innocent and played for humor. Sure it was suspicious as hell, but still.

What really set me off was the interactions of Lucoa and Shouta. Severely inappropriate, in my eyes. An older woman sexually teasing a boy that's too young to consent even in Japanese law. And it was pretty obvious Shouta was a very confused child that wasn't even fully mentally mature, and could not properly consent. I was disgusted especially at the beach episode. I know for a fact that if the genders were reversed between the two characters, anime fans around the world would be outraged and the series would be cancelled.

People have used the argument that Lucoa is unfamiliar with human society so her actions are acceptable, and that argument does not work for me. People also say to skip those parts, and that also isn't very convincing. Why skip 1/4 of a series? I've never had to do that before, because no series has disgusted me this much before.

I'm not here to start a fight or insult anyone. Though this has legitimately bothered me for a good while (and almost made me quit anime entirely), including the past several months. I want to see if I'm really judging it too harshly or if it really is "child endangerment and grooming: the anime". I gave it a 1/10, because no amount of quality animation, good parts unrelated to that side plot, or anything could possibly make up for such an appalling act to me.

Series wouldn’t be cancelled with reversed roles. Havent you seen the highest ratest isekai this season?

Anyway, theres no justification for this stuff. Its a show. Its either funny to you or it isnt. You take it seriously or you dont.

Personally, its kind of funny to me. Doesn’t really bother me at all cause its a fantasy show and its not real. But if it bothers you then just dont watch it man. Completely understandable.

Same thing with Mushoku Tensei, even though that one tows the line a lot more, its not real people or real life, so it bothers me a lot less and I don’t take it seriously
Nov 25, 2021 10:53 PM
Jul 2021
This anime just isn’t for everyone, it’s obvious because of the different relationships that are in it. For instance we have kanna and rikos relationship, two children (basically) and the shota relationship between lucoa and shouta and lgbtq relationships everywhere (not against them). But I’ve watched my fair amount of ecchi / wrong animes and I couldn’t really care less about watching another shota relationship, some people just can’t handle that stuff and others can. I don’t really think there is convincing you to try and pick up this anime again. But if you really want someone to make an argument then end of season 1 / season 2 focuses more on tohrus and kobayashis relationship (having said you probably would look at ilulus character and turn it off but I enjoyed both seasons).
Nov 25, 2021 10:56 PM
May 2021
I mean I think ur thinking about this too hard bro. Good characters, fight scenes, and cute moments. I mean I just watch cuz the series is funny. I don’t think this show is tryna deal with all this serious stuff
Nov 25, 2021 11:00 PM
Apr 2021
While I really like many parts of this anime, I have to agree with you that a lot of stuff shown is pretty weird (for me the twister scene was too weird). I don't have any arguments against what you are saying but only that I don't think about it too seriously, it's just an anime. I only focus on the good parts. But if it bothers you too much, it's completely justified that you dropped it

Edit: it's also pretty easy to guess that you're new to anime btw, there's a lot of much more weirder stuff in anime man idk japanese people seem kinda weird to other cultures I guess
jjkiscoolNov 25, 2021 11:09 PM
Nov 25, 2021 11:07 PM

Aug 2021
Dracomouthboi said:
I mean I think ur thinking about this too hard bro. Good characters, fight scenes, and cute moments. I mean I just watch cuz the series is funny. I don’t think this show is tryna deal with all this serious stuff

It’s really hard to focus on those positive aspects when there’s literally a grown woman grooming a little boy as a side plot. I’m supposed to take such an appalling act as a joke? Or I’m supposed to be attracted to it? Only thing I feel is extreme discomfort.
Nov 25, 2021 11:10 PM
Jul 2021
TMR98 said:
FaceClan said:
This anime just isn’t for everyone, it’s obvious because of the different relationships that are in it. For instance we have kanna and rikos relationship, two children (basically) and the shota relationship between lucoa and shouta and lgbtq relationships everywhere (not against them). But I’ve watched my fair amount of ecchi / wrong animes and I couldn’t really care less about watching another shota relationship, some people just can’t handle that stuff and others can. I don’t really think there is convincing you to try and pick up this anime again. But if you really want someone to make an argument then end of season 1 / season 2 focuses more on tohrus and kobayashis relationship (having said you probably would look at ilulus character and turn it off but I enjoyed both seasons).

Isn’t Ilulu still just a short adult? I haven’t seen the second season but is she really just supposed to be a child? And sure, I’ve seen a couple of fanservice heavy and ecchi anime, but not once have I seen something with this heavy of an age gap. Closest one was probably Kanokon and even then I think it may have just been a difference of only about one year. Lucoa and Shouta make me more uncomfortable than anything I’ve ever seen in a series. I thought it would quit after one or two jokes but this is probably way too much for me and I find it quite gross and immoral. If that’s really the case then I suppose I’ll just do my mental health a favor and try to ignore this anime’s existence and find other stuff to enjoy, and stop bothering my friends irl about my rants regarding this series.

Ilulu is made to be like a 15 year old I think, anyways if you don’t like stuff like that then it’s best you shouldn’t watch, I don’t find it weird and that’s just how people are.
Nov 25, 2021 11:28 PM
Dec 2018
Easy. If you didn't like it don't watch it again. Don't change your rating and move on to something else.
It's your taste, your opinion,.and just because everyone else likes.it and can get over the things that bother you, it doesn't mean you should do the same.
Nov 26, 2021 1:21 AM

Jan 2021
If the anime makes you want to stop watching anime u gotta be careful on what u watch because this is pretty tame compared to other animes. But yeah just don't watch it.
Nov 26, 2021 1:56 AM
Apr 2021
Roxyism said:
If the anime makes you want to stop watching anime u gotta be careful on what u watch because this is pretty tame compared to other animes. But yeah just don't watch it.
this anime is pretty tame compared to 80% of anime that come out. If this guy is so sensitive I think he'll just stop watching anime in some time or just stick to his generic battle shonen (even they have some fan service these days)
Nov 26, 2021 2:30 AM

Jan 2021
jjkiscool said:
Roxyism said:
this anime is pretty tame compared to 80% of anime that come out. If this guy is so sensitive I think he'll just stop watching anime in some time or just stick to his generic battle shonen (even they have some fan service these days)

I feel like fanserivce has toned down in recent years actually
Nov 26, 2021 2:35 AM

Aug 2021
jjkiscool said:
Roxyism said:

It’s not fanservice that is my problem. It’s the underage character getting harassed by an older character. If you see what I’ve seen you’d notice I’ve seen several series with fanservice.
Nov 26, 2021 2:41 AM
Apr 2021
Roxyism said:
jjkiscool said:

I feel like fanserivce has toned down in recent years actually
I actually haven't seen a lot of older shows but newer shows like fire force, soul eater and even mha have a good amount of fan service
Nov 26, 2021 2:42 AM
Apr 2021
TMR98 said:
jjkiscool said:

It’s not fanservice that is my problem. It’s the underage character getting harassed by an older character. If you see what I’ve seen you’d notice I’ve seen several series with fanservice.
yeah I see your point
Nov 26, 2021 3:17 AM

Feb 2011
TMR98 said:
I know for a fact that if the genders were reversed between the two characters, anime fans around the world would be outraged and the series would be cancelled.

Unless you're talking about fake anime fans who stir trouble for the sake of it, no one would care.

OT: get a grip or forfeit watching anime altogether.
Nov 26, 2021 3:37 AM

Jan 2020
TMR98 said:

You watch anime. Be okay with shotacons and lolicons is my advice lmao.
Nov 26, 2021 3:48 AM
Aug 2020
Dont think much about it its a cute,wholesome anime and my personal favorite.Ye I agree some scenes can turn people off but I just found it funny.The cast it Really good and one of my favorites,their interaction,friendship,comedy its just perfect for me and I love it,During season 2 Elma and tohru interactions were perfect
Nov 26, 2021 4:08 AM
Mar 2021
TMR98 said:

You missed the point 100% on all bases.
Nov 26, 2021 4:49 AM
Mar 2020
You actually watch anime while having a problem with shotacons? Like 78% of anime isn’t for you then my guy.

𝘚𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘤𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘺 𝘦𝘺𝘦𝘴, 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯’𝘵 𝘴𝘦𝘦.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Nov 26, 2021 6:34 AM
Apr 2021
Bro it ain’t that deep chill 😂
Nov 26, 2021 7:13 AM
Aug 2021
TMR98 said:

You should write a book about it. I won't be reading it, I'll be rewatching Dragon Maid.
Nov 26, 2021 7:25 AM
Aug 2014
If this shit bothers you, just wait until you hear about Mother of the Goddess’s Dormitory Lmfaoooo
Nov 26, 2021 7:34 AM
Mar 2021
Yeah it gets pretty weird at times, and I let a lot of stuff slide, but it's a really comfy show which is why I like it. Seeing dragons interact in the human world is a funny concept to me. They mess up but they mean well. Lucoa does piss me off, but the author said on record that she's a fan service character so to me she's not to be taken seriously. Kanna and Saikawa's relationship has a balance of wholesome and weird moments. I'm not a fan of how overly fond Saikawa is of Kanna, but it's played off in a somewhat wholesome way. Honestly I just watch this show for Tohru, she's peek waifu on my eyes.
Nov 26, 2021 7:46 AM
Jan 2021
No I won't Hahahaha
Nov 26, 2021 7:56 AM
Jul 2018
Why are you demanding us to change your rating? Figure it out for yourself.

If that content bothers you so much, and you really can't get around it, then you don't have to force yourself too. It bothers me too, but I was able to get around it, and even I can say this: it's a slice of life show, you aren't missing a lot if you ultimately decide not to give it another chance.

It has good moments, and the art/animation is obviously really good. But you can find those moments in plenty of other anime, and in regards to art/animation, KyoAni have released plenty of better shows without the uncomfortable content. You can go watch those if you want to see their art/animation work. Go treat yourself to K-On or something.
removed-userNov 26, 2021 8:02 AM
Nov 26, 2021 8:32 AM
Mar 2021
Anime is weird my mang. You can hang or you can't with it.
Nov 26, 2021 9:48 AM

Aug 2021
Chiribei said:

If that content bothers you so much, and you really can't get around it, then you don't have to force yourself too. It bothers me too, but I was able to get around it, and even I can say this: it's a slice of life show, you aren't missing a lot if you ultimately decide not to give it another chance.

It has good moments, and the art/animation is obviously really good. But you can find those moments in plenty of other anime, and in regards to art/animation, KyoAni have released plenty of better shows without the uncomfortable content. You can go watch those if you want to see their art/animation work. Go treat yourself to K-On or something.

This is probably the best reply I could have gotten. I have major fear of missing out when it comes to anime, I always feel like I have to watch what’s popular. But you’re totally right, I don’t have to force myself. And it’s only a slice of life, and the studio has made other things. For a time I genuinely thought of not watching anything made by the studio, but if I boycotted every studio for some anime I didn’t agree with, I wouldn’t have any anime to watch. Good points overall
Nov 26, 2021 10:36 AM
Jul 2018
TMR98 said:
Chiribei said:

This is probably the best reply I could have gotten. I have major fear of missing out when it comes to anime, I always feel like I have to watch what’s popular. But you’re totally right, I don’t have to force myself. And it’s only a slice of life, and the studio has made other things. For a time I genuinely thought of not watching anything made by the studio, but if I boycotted every studio for some anime I didn’t agree with, I wouldn’t have any anime to watch. Good points overall

Not only would you not have any anime to watch, you'd also be clowning yourself every time you said that you boycotted them for it. Ultimately, when adapting external content (a series owned by a company other than the animation studio), the studio is assigned by the production committee to the project, not the other way around. Unfortunately, if a studio wants to stay in business... they don't have a lot of room to refuse, even for KyoAni, a studio with a great reputation for appropriately paying their employees, among other good things that are unheard of at a lot of other studios. The content of the series they adapt is not the animation studio's fault.

Anybody who knows anything about how the industry operates would not see that as a good argument, even without factoring in that there is not a single popular studio that hasn't adapted at least one questionable series.
removed-userNov 26, 2021 10:51 AM
Nov 26, 2021 3:29 PM

Jul 2015
I don't know how you consider this as a good representation of LGBT community, while you can even make a strong case that noone if those character is LGBT.
Like for example when Kobayashi briefly turned into a biological male, Tohru was raring to go, which directly contradicts the notion, that she is lesbian, while Kobayashi herself does not display sby romantic interest.
Kana shows little to no emotions wity her interactions with Saikawa, while Saikawa herself considers her more like a puppy, than an actual love interests.

Obviously, you can ship whoever you want, but inconsistencies are there.
This show is more about family bond, than romance.

About Shouta and Lucoa:
Obviously, there is little to defend there. While Lucoa's actions can be considered teasing and grooming, we thankfully haven't seen any actual sexual acts yet.

Nov 26, 2021 3:41 PM

Sep 2018
Dragon Maid was not my thing due to disliking the mc. I would say a lot of the fanservice is otaku pandering, but that was not my problem with it.
Nov 26, 2021 6:13 PM
Jun 2021
I'm pretty sure that lucoa was just teasing shota. Also if this makes you feel uncomfortable then just ignore it and go watch something else personally it was a fun little slice of life comedy but it ain't for everyone.
Nov 26, 2021 6:50 PM
Aug 2020
Sorry bro, but this os like 78% of animes, Ecchi with "underage" characters are pretty commom same in Shounen (NNT a great example), probably anime not is for you
Nov 26, 2021 7:55 PM
Sep 2018
Gotta say that if this really makes you uncomfortable then you should just drop the show. Anime is made for the Japanese audience not the west. So naturally they will cover topics that are funny or comedic in this way where other cultures may not feel comfortable with it. When I watched it I found it far too absurd to take as actual child grooming. Given the fact that they are Dragons to start with I already felt very separated from reality when watching the show. From the sounds of it that isn’t the case with you. My only advise is that you should probably not rate an anime a 1 if you don’t agree with its content. I personally feel the rating system should be used to rate artistic quality and not so much on what the show covers content wise. Either way there are plenty of anime you would enjoy without this type of content. You don’t need to be an anime fan. You can just be a fan of the anime you like
Nov 26, 2021 9:43 PM

Aug 2021
LoliLoverS3 said:
Sorry bro, but this os like 78% of animes, Ecchi with "underage" characters are pretty commom same in Shounen (NNT a great example), probably anime not is for you

I mean, I’ve seen quite a bit of anime without this kind of stuff. Even ecchi without this kind of stuff. I think my best course of action is to just avoid stuff like this. I don’t have to like what’s popular, if it’s something that makes me uncomfortable. There are hundreds of anime out there, I’m fine skipping over some if they don’t suit my tastes.
aarfran said:
Gotta say that if this really makes you uncomfortable then you should just drop the show. Anime is made for the Japanese audience not the west. So naturally they will cover topics that are funny or comedic in this way where other cultures may not feel comfortable with it. When I watched it I found it far too absurd to take as actual child grooming. Given the fact that they are Dragons to start with I already felt very separated from reality when watching the show. From the sounds of it that isn’t the case with you. My only advise is that you should probably not rate an anime a 1 if you don’t agree with its content. I personally feel the rating system should be used to rate artistic quality and not so much on what the show covers content wise. Either way there are plenty of anime you would enjoy without this type of content. You don’t need to be an anime fan. You can just be a fan of the anime you like

Most of that is really good advice, thank you. My ratings factor in everything, though. Animation, pacing, plot, characters, everything. I may bump Dragon Maid up to a 3/10, because the animation and character designs were okay.
Nov 26, 2021 10:26 PM

Aug 2021
TuxedoMarx45 said:
Easy. If you didn't like it don't watch it again. Don't change your rating and move on to something else.
It's your taste, your opinion,.and just because everyone else likes.it and can get over the things that bother you, it doesn't mean you should do the same.

Best advice actually. Wow, I’m dumb. I gotta remember stuff like this. Always had a fear of missing out and that I’d have to enjoy what’s popular. When in reality everyone is different and can have their own tastes.
Nov 26, 2021 10:43 PM

May 2021
It is alright to feel uncomfortable with the topics treated by the anime, the author is just a degenerate that plays too much with fire and you don't buy the idea of Lucoa being a divine entity that is beyond the modern moral compass (Which is kind of the point of the anime anyways, watching how dragons from the past era interact with modern society and develop themselves)

Now, I just will attack this idea ""child endangerment and grooming: the anime", because it is wrong. While the acts of Lucoa are clearly inappropiate, the series never installs such acts as a way to go or something to look for, instead it is frowned upon like... all the time. The point of the relationship is to move forward the character of Shouta (Breaking his shell and insecurities) and play with the the idea of modern pre-pubescent embarrassment, where we are not oblivious about sexual references (Because of media) but we are obviously not comfortable with them

Nov 27, 2021 1:33 AM
Aug 2020
TMR98 said:
LoliLoverS3 said:

I mean, I’ve seen quite a bit of anime without this kind of stuff. Even ecchi without this kind of stuff. I think my best course of action is to just avoid stuff like this. I don’t have to like what’s popular, if it’s something that makes me uncomfortable. There are hundreds of anime out there, I’m fine skipping over some if they don’t suit my tastes.
aarfran said:

Most of that is really good advice, thank you. My ratings factor in everything, though. Animation, pacing, plot, characters, everything. I may bump Dragon Maid up to a 3/10, because the animation and character designs were okay.

I still haven't the your point, anime always was and always will like this, because this is like industry japanese work, animes aren't designed for west people, why that you consider it "strange", ignore fanservice or only not watch the anime, this is really simple always K-On and moe animes have ecchi jokes.

Edit:Shouta and Luccoa have only scenes with comedy for humor proposes, not always close for a "uncessary" ecchi
Bocchi_UwU_Nov 27, 2021 5:44 PM
Nov 27, 2021 4:18 AM
Jul 2020
This is an “I need attention” thread if I’ve ever seen one. Rate it as low as you want. One vote is a drop in the bucket. Nobody really cares if you score it low. Maybe you should stick to shonen.
tobythesandwichNov 27, 2021 4:34 AM
Nov 27, 2021 6:51 PM
Feb 2021
TMR98 said:

Edit: I’ve decided the series isn’t for me, and I won’t be going back to it. If you’re a fan, I’m glad you can enjoy it. Everyone has their own tastes.
you haven’t seen Mushoku Tensei part 1 if you really think all that is bad.
Nov 27, 2021 6:55 PM
Feb 2021
TMR98 said:
Dracomouthboi said:

It’s really hard to focus on those positive aspects when there’s literally a grown woman grooming a little boy as a side plot. I’m supposed to take such an appalling act as a joke? Or I’m supposed to be attracted to it? Only thing I feel is extreme discomfort.
Well since your new to anime, this kinda expected imo. I’ve seen my amounts of ecchi anime this type of stuff wouldn’t bother me (that twister scene tho still does kinda rub me the wrong way) but hey anime isn’t for everyone, I suggest you try something less mature like k-On, it’s also a slide of life.
Nov 27, 2021 10:10 PM

Aug 2021
Rembe said:
TMR98 said:

Well since your new to anime, this kinda expected imo. I’ve seen my amounts of ecchi anime this type of stuff wouldn’t bother me (that twister scene tho still does kinda rub me the wrong way) but hey anime isn’t for everyone, I suggest you try something less mature like k-On, it’s also a slide of life.

I don't consider this a normal ecchi anime, at least compared to others I've seen like Monster Musume or Rosario + Vampire. As for anime that's mature, I currently read Berserk and Chainsaw Man. Both have their violent and fanservice-y moments. Heck, with the stuff that happens in certain chapters of Berserk, it really makes Dragon Maid look like nothing. I think my issue is how it's presented. Stuff involving kids in Berserk heavily differs from how it's presented in Dragon Maid. Berserk shows how evil it really is, Dragon Maid makes it look like a positive thing. An erasing of the innocence of youth, for someone who is simply not mature yet.

Comparing something like Rosine from Berserk to something like Shouta from Dragon Maid are like comparing night and day. Or even like Guts to Shouta. Both had stuff nonconsensually done to them yet in Dragon Maid it's presented like a joke when in Berserk it's presented like the terrible thing it really is.

Edit: This isn't me trying to convince you not to watch it. It's your life, do as you please. This is just why I will probably just give it a 1/10 and move on to something that I will find better and more enjoyable.
CyberPsychosisNov 27, 2021 10:24 PM
Nov 29, 2021 10:19 AM
Mar 2017
Watch Boku no pico, then talk to me about awkward.
Nov 29, 2021 1:29 PM

Aug 2021
Ayuima said:
Watch Boku no pico, then talk to me about awkward.

That’s literally a hentai, not some allegedly wholesome slice of life.
Nov 29, 2021 8:09 PM
Aug 2020
You haven't the point of Shotacon nature and Shotacon jokes? Luccoa x Shouta is only a comedic "couple"...
Nov 29, 2021 8:30 PM

Aug 2021
Bocchi_UwU_ said:
You haven't the point of Shotacon nature and Shotacon jokes? Luccoa x Shouta is only a comedic "couple"...

I guess I'm missing the joke then? I don't find anything about it very funny, personally.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 25, 2017

189 by MoonlightVT »»
Apr 12, 10:54 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2017

315 by _untitled »»
Apr 7, 2:50 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2017

131 by _untitled »»
Apr 2, 2:38 PM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2017

113 by _untitled »»
Apr 1, 7:56 AM

Poll: » Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2017

169 by _untitled »»
Mar 31, 7:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.