Forum Settings
Forums

What's Your Favorite Classic Anime? (Useless Thread #59)

Nov 25, 3:36 AM

Happy Indian Slaughter Day everyone, hope you having a good one.
Now I was going to make a thread asking what ya'll were going to do this thanksgiving, then I realised most of us weebs got no lives and just treat it like any other day.
Then I was gonna make a thread asking what you guys were thankful for (anime edition) but then I found out that that's what literally everybody does every year so imma have someone else do that.

Anyways I got a question: What makes a classic anime?
Does it have to be old? Cause I'm pretty sure when we all think of a classic anime, the first one to come to mind is something like Eva, or Cowboy Bebop, or Gundam. But some consider anime like Death Note to be a classic, just because of how much an impact it had.

Anyways, what's you're guys' favorite classic anime.

For me, if Death Note counts, then that. But I'm also a fan of Ghibli films and Cowboy Bebop.

Oh yeah, I may be gettin banned soon cause people think I'm advertising by posting YouTube videos (which I'm not advertising, I'm just show you guys videos, it's your choice to watch them or not) If I get banned, I get banned. If I don't, more useless threads.

Here's a random video

Modified by Erebus_Akeldama, Yesterday, 11:10 AM

My Anime Playlist: ⤋ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎

Nov 25, 3:51 AM

WutIsDis said:
If we go by the definition of classic, then almost all of my favorites. They are all distinguished art pieces that have influenced the anime industry.

Well that's the things, I'm having trouble defining what makes a classic. Cause while they are one of my most favorites of all time, I don't consider Made in Abyss or One Punch Man to be classics.
Would they be put into the modern classic category along with AoT and Hunter x Hunter?

Nov 25, 3:53 AM

k-on, such a great classic

bunch of cute girls in a music club

Nov 25, 3:56 AM

Aside from the one you already know what my answer is going to be, I don't think I can choose one 🤔 The favourites and special mention anime that I put in my profile, I love them all so much! Of course that includes Death Note too ;)

Erebus_Akeldama said:

Oh yeah, I may be gettin banned soon cause people think I'm advertising by posting YouTube videos (which I'm not advertising, I'm just show you guys videos, it's your choice to watch them or not) If I get banned, I get banned. If I don't, more useless threads.

NOOOOOO I DON'T EVER WANT YOU GETTING BANNED!

𝟺 ᴛɪᴘs (ᴏʀ ʀᴜʟᴇs) ɪɴ ɢɪɴᴛᴀᴍᴀ
  • 𝐼𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑁𝑂𝑇 𝑎 𝑏𝑒𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑛𝑒𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑖𝑚𝑒
  • 𝐷𝑜 𝑁𝑂𝑇 𝑝𝑢𝑡 𝑒𝑥𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑠
  • 𝐻𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑎 𝑉𝐸𝑅𝑌 ℎ𝑖𝑔ℎ 𝑝𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑒𝑛𝑐𝑒
  • 𝑆𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑎𝑡 𝑒𝑝𝑖𝑠𝑜𝑑𝑒 3

Nov 25, 3:56 AM

Erebus_Akeldama said:
WutIsDis said:
If we go by the definition of classic, then almost all of my favorites. They are all distinguished art pieces that have influenced the anime industry.

Well that's the things, I'm having trouble defining what makes a classic. Cause while they are one of my most favorites of all time, I don't consider Made in Abyss or One Punch Man to be classics.
Would they be put into the modern classic category along with AoT and Hunter x Hunter?

Oh sorry, I messed up the definitions a bit. The classic has to be quite old, and is very renowned.

By this definition dragon ball z is a prime example of a classic.

I think Monster can qualify as a classic from my favorites.
"y r u gae?"

"who says i'm gae?"

"u r gae."

Nov 25, 3:57 AM

when I think of classics, first animes to come to mind are dbz, pokemon, doraemon and things that people watched growing up when they were kids
The earth is flat. Change my mind.

Nov 25, 4:08 AM

Yes, it needs some time to be recognized as a classic, but not necessary a very long time. How impactful it is both to industry and fans is most important. Madoka Magica is a classic in my eyes, without a doubt even a little.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"

Nov 25, 4:10 AM

A timeless piece of work that has a significant influence over the media can be define as classic.
Well you have already mention two of my favourite classic cowboy bebop and evangelion. So,Monster is my favourite classic anime.
Modified by NoBoDY-5, Nov 25, 4:18 AM

"𝐎𝐡 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥....𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬, 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐞𝐧𝐬 "
~𝐒𝐩𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐒𝐩𝐢𝐞𝐠𝐞𝐥

Nov 25, 4:12 AM

Well I didn't watched many but lately I am focusing on them like I recently completed Evangelion and his and her circumstances and now going to watch Patlabor series,angels egg,erin,twelve kingdom,kenshin(sorry if I wrote wrong spelling) and many more .
About to complete Romeo no aoi sora too.
And also you said that a different classic from old ones so I don't know which ones are but I heard people saying but if Nana can be considered as classic because it's from 2000s then yes Nana and eva for sure.
Edit : wait mushishi and Gintama considered as classics so you know my answer it's Mushishi and Gintama.

Nov 25, 4:19 AM

Monster ig‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎‎

Nov 25, 4:26 AM

I'mma just say Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster, cause it's my favourite "Old" anime.
And something more of a known classic would be Evangelion.

「ㅤ "𝘠𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘥𝘳𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘸𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘱𝘪𝘦𝘳𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘢𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘴!"ㅤ」

Nov 25, 4:29 AM

I'll go with the basic answer - Cowboy Bebop. I was a bit skeptical of old anime initially, but I changed my stance after watching Bebop (which was my first pre-2000s anime). It piqued my interest in older classics, and I'm still a big fan of the show - it's definitely a masterpiece, at least in my eyes.

Erebus_Akeldama said:
What's that?
Modified by elnino02, Yesterday, 8:18 AM

Nov 25, 4:49 AM

Detective Conan. The first few seasons were terrifyingly good.

Let us dance
to this
twisted rhythm

Nov 25, 5:01 AM

'BOy, you're gonna carry that weight, carry that weight a long time...' - The Beatles.
Cowboy Bepop.

Nausicaa from The Valley of Wind?

Mushishi.

Personal: Spice & Wolf, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou, 3-gatsu, Odd Taxi, 5cm/s, Vinland Saga, Tsumiki no Ie...

Trash Classic: Neon Genesis Evangeline, not gonna lie.

Modified by SgtBaitMan, Nov 25, 10:25 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helppp!

Nov 25, 5:14 AM

I feel like "classics" need to be at least 20 years old. So that makes Juuni Kokuki my favorite classic anime.

Future Boy Conan is good as well.

Nov 25, 5:23 AM

doraemon,pokemon and ben10 if ben10 was an anime
"works you enjoy aren't necessarily territories that one needs to protect" ~ MAL User GreatAide.
If your opinion isn't backed up by proper reason and explanation, your opinion is just worth trash for me. I just want to have fun and talk so check out my profile to get a brief about me before attacking me.

Nov 25, 8:17 AM

Monster, perfect blue and black lagoon.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫

Nov 25, 11:42 AM

BigMac7 said:

Question, sinse Gintama came out earlier than alot of anime, does that make it a classic? Sorry, I'm still having trouble trying to define a classic.

Nov 25, 11:44 AM

Erebus_Akeldama said:
BigMac7 said:

Question, sinse Gintama came out earlier than alot of anime, does that make it a classic? Sorry, I'm still having trouble trying to define a classic.

Idk either lol, I chose monster because others chose it. Imo most people would consider a show that came before 2000s as a classic.

Nov 25, 11:46 AM

BigMac7 said:
Erebus_Akeldama said:

Idk either lol, I chose monster because others chose it. Imo most people would consider a show that came before 2000s as a classic.

Ahh ok. It's just confusing because some people consider things like Death Note a classic so I don't really know where to draw the line

Nov 25, 11:48 AM

DarkGamerA said:
doraemon,pokemon and ben10 if ben10 was an anime

Oof, Ben 10 was my childhood. I thought Alien X was the coolest thing ever. Dang takes me back. (boomer energy right here)

Nov 25, 9:32 PM

Doraemon for me. I can't go wrong with a childhood classic
I love One Piece and Gintama

Nov 25, 9:54 PM

My childhood series actually. Like Pokemon, Doraemon, Spirited Away, DB Series, Detective Conan, Yu Gi Oh, etc. gives me nostalgia for some reason, used to enjoy these series when I ws a kid.

Also the ones that I just recently just watched, like Monster, GTO, Ashita no Joe, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc. Enjoyed these series by a lot.

Nov 25, 11:07 PM
Berserk,Perfect Blue and Doraemon

Yesterday, 1:47 AM

tinker3bellz1 said:
Aside from the one you already know what my answer is going to be, I don't think I can choose one 🤔 The favourites and special mention anime that I put in my profile, I love them all so much! Of course that includes Death Note too ;)

Erebus_Akeldama said:

NOOOOOO I DON'T EVER WANT YOU GETTING BANNED!

Hahaha welp, if I do get banned I leave the Gintoki thread to you.

Yesterday, 1:52 AM

Rurouni Kenshin and Trigun are my favourite classic anime.

FSN 2006 is the best FSN route
Fruits Basket is overrated
Fate Zero is the best anime of the decade

Yesterday, 1:54 AM

Mantron said:

So I'm going to watch Trigun after I finish Gintama, but I've heard the name Rurouni Kenshin so many times. All I know is that it's a Samurai Anime? Should I give it a go? How many episodes are there?

Yesterday, 1:58 AM

Evangelion and Code geass R1 will always be classic, one for it's deep yet very dark story and a life changing yet surreal ending, one because of it's peak entertainment
For the sake of Allah
We shall march to the gates
To the paradise where our maidens await
We are men that love jihad
Just as you love your life
We are soldiers who fight in the day and night

Yesterday, 1:58 AM

Erebus_Akeldama said:
Mantron said:

So I'm going to watch Trigun after I finish Gintama, but I've heard the name Rurouni Kenshin so many times. All I know is that it's a Samurai Anime? Should I give it a go? How many episodes are there?

In Rurouni Kenshin 94 episodes and a special(95th episode) are there but the last season(63-94/95) was a filler which led to it being cancelled.For me it was good till ep 76. I gave it a 9/10.You should try it once. It is really good. Dont ignore Rurouni Kenshin because of the fillers.

FSN 2006 is the best FSN route
Fruits Basket is overrated
Fate Zero is the best anime of the decade

Yesterday, 4:27 AM

Some of my favourite classic anime

But my all time favourite classic anime is definitely

Yesterday, 4:30 AM

Oh yeah, I'm also a fan of Black Lagoon and Samurai Champloo

Yesterday, 7:16 AM

Mushoku Tensei; Modern Classic

Real Answer: K-On! Classic CGDCT

Also, this is #59. You made two #57

Why do I make forum threads?
The Dichotomy of Man is too entertaining and hilarious
Best Anime Ever via Math
Mushoku Tensei = Best Isekai; Isekai = Best Genre
Mushoku Tensei = Best Anime
The Impossible Riddle

Yesterday, 7:38 AM

Erebus_Akeldama said:
Mantron said:

My freind told me to read it's manga and then watch it's OVA and the reason can be easily understandable since anime had so many FILLERS!!!

Yesterday, 7:49 AM

Spooky kitaro for that banging intro.

Yesterday, 11:11 AM

Dragevard said:
Mushoku Tensei; Modern Classic

Real Answer: K-On! Classic CGDCT

Also, this is #59. You made two #57

Oh shoot, thanks lot man. Sorry, I've been a little out of it lately. Thanks

Yesterday, 11:42 AM

elnino02 said:

Erebus_Akeldama said:
What's that?

That would be what you guys know as Thanksgiving

Yesterday, 11:47 AM

PROJECT A-KO
Daughter of a Krytonian and an Amazon 😉
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.

Yesterday, 11:48 AM

Janethan23 said:
PROJECT A-KO
Daughter of a Krytonian and an Amazon 😉

I didn't know Superman and Wonder Woman were together x)

Yesterday, 12:04 PM

In my mind, there are three requirements a title must meet in order to be considered a "classic":

i) At least 15 years must have passed since it was first released. You can't consider as a classic something that it's still part of "the recent times".
ii) The title has to still "be in the radar" enough even after all those years and is expected to do so ad aeternum. You can't consider as a classic something only three people know and talk about or that it will be soon forgotten and/or fall into irrelevancy.
iii) The title must have enjoyed substantial levels of both popularity and good reception upon its initial release. You can't consider as a classic something that barely anyone cared about and/or wasn't ever generally well-received.

And most of my favorite anime consist of classics. Anyone interested, just check out my profile.

Yesterday, 12:16 PM

I suppose it would be Cardcaptor Sakura, going by a few definitions in this thread.

Recently finished it a few weeks ago and it sky rocketed into my favorites. Very lovely series <3

Yesterday, 2:21 PM

inuyasha, yu yu hakusho and ranma 1/2

have a nice day!

✧༺♥༻∞

11 hours ago

"Indian Slaughter Day"

They have The Purge in India too?

"what ya'll were going to do this thanksgiving, then I realised most of us weebs got no lives and just treat it like any other day"

1. Kind of ignoring all the non-USA citizens.
2. Assuming that USA weebs don't use this holiday as an excuse to watch even more anime.

"just because of how much an impact it had"

My guess is Sabu and Ichi`s Detective Tales hugely influenced many manga and anime about the Edo era which came after 1968...so it had impact and also I like it.

7 hours ago

I shouldn't need to say it. Y'all should already know what I'm about.

7 hours ago
Yugioh duel monsters will always be one of the best

"my grandpa's deck has no pathetical cards kaiba, but it does contain the unstopable exodia"

4 hours ago

Sakura Taisen and uhm.. To Heart i guess