Forum Settings
Forums

How do some people say they dislike entire genres of anime

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Post New Reply
Nov 24, 11:48 PM

Like how do you dislike a whole ass genre bruh... I get that everyone (including me) has their preferences but I can't understand how you could just like, categorically dislike an ENTIRE genre, since genres are so broad and cover such a wide variety of anime. Only exception is disliking hentai or ecchi because you aren't attracted to women or something. This goes for video games, movies, music, etc. too btw

edit: this includes people that say they categorically dislike gay or lesbian romance btw, like why does your own sexual orientation need to match that of the couple??
Modified by sewerslider, Nov 25, 2:49 AM

Nov 24, 11:58 PM

I will never be interested in Yaoi and Yuri no matter what.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helppp!

Nov 25, 12:01 AM

Not everyone will be into Yuri and Yaoi (respectfully).

Also, Avant Garde genre makes the most sense to dislike.

But I think the majority of people say they dislike the genre, without actually giving it a shot.

Please Check Out My Hentai Account:
πŸ‘‰htps://myanimelist.net/profile/Maxi'sHentaiConllection πŸ‘ˆ

Nov 25, 12:02 AM

I'm not into homosexual romance anime starring males so that's an entire genre done.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST

Nov 25, 12:20 AM

Seems like people that say that about genre haven't seen much anime. 100% of them have only seen dubed stuff.

Then again those that say they would never see anything Yaoi, are batshit crazy over Naurto/One Piece. Two of the gayest anime's out there.
Change my mind. LOL

Nov 25, 12:24 AM

I haven't still found a single half decent isekai anime

Nov 25, 12:27 AM

A lot of people exagerate things or do not realize they watch and enjoy anime from a genre they supposedly hate because they don't check the fucking tags. Not even joking about the last part. It's weirdly common.
Life is a despicable endurance race

Nov 25, 12:43 AM

Of course I don't watch Hentai (Including yaoi and yuri) for obvious reasons that could be called hating the genre. (Ignore all the yaoi in my read manga lol, somehow I'm fine with that). I also haven't been able to find Girls Love anime I like. Most ecchi also ruins an otherwise good anime.

But other than those obvious ones I don't know if I've found any other genre I dislike.

But as a general note, it's all about taste. Some people might only like to watch Iyashikei SoL and completely hate everything with action.

Nov 25, 1:33 AM
I'm really not into yaoi and yuri, but I do not hate those genres. For some reason people seem to irrationally hate mecha the most. Most of those haters have watched only Code Geass, Evangelion and Gurren Lagann (all okay to good shows, mind you) and have this preposterous idea that the rest of the genre is not worth it because it's all "toy commercials and not about the characters" (while hypocritically bying the next Asuka figure and making a soi face about it).
normies are cancer

Nov 25, 1:44 AM

I really like yuri.
Not that I hate yaoi, but just not interested. (maybe try one in the future?)

Nov 25, 1:53 AM

i think it's pretty practical and fair to observe a general preference (e.g. "i dont like yaoi", or "i don't like harems", or whatever)

But if crux is, rather, "I will NEVER watch or enjoy [xyz genre]" then that's certainly a lot less open minded

Nov 25, 2:17 AM

If you haven't found an anime you like of a certain genre, it's reasonable to assume that you don't like that genre. Maybe you will find it one day (like I did it with harem), or maybe not.

Nov 25, 2:29 AM

People just don't want to give it a shot to the genre and say that I will never find that genre interesting even if I try the best work in that genre.Thats what people do.

Nov 25, 2:31 AM

i love yaoi if the guys are hot, and futanari is great btw.

these people are missing out on some great stuff

Nov 25, 2:32 AM

I'm not into Yaoi or Dementia a.k.a Avant Garde, so I simply don't like those genres.

Nov 25, 2:33 AM

Yuri and Yaoi genres are pretty much the only two genres majority of the people avoid including me.

Nov 25, 2:40 AM
Κ•β€’α΄₯β€’Κ”

CGDCT anime just are not for me a lot of the time, so if someone asked me I would be likely to say I dislike them. It doesn't mean I won't give them a shot, it just means I am way less likely to. I mean why waste time on genres you know you're less likely to enjoy when you can focus on entertainment with a much higher chance of entertaining you.

Nov 25, 2:52 AM
It's possible, I hate harem, Yaoi and Yuri genres because I find harems annoying and with Yaoi, Yuri I'm not interested plus those stories glorify toxic, abusive relationships as well as I don't like Sports and Mecha genre it does have few exceptions though

Nov 25, 2:56 AM

sewerslider said:
Like how do you dislike a whole ass genre bruh... I get that everyone (including me) has their preferences but I can't understand how you could just like, categorically dislike an ENTIRE genre, since genres are so broad and cover such a wide variety of anime. Only exception is disliking hentai or ecchi because you aren't attracted to women or something. This goes for video games, movies, music, etc. too btw

edit: this includes people that say they categorically dislike gay or lesbian romance btw, like why does your own sexual orientation need to match that of the couple??

"I don't understand how people can dislike an entire genre."

"But I understand how people could not like the entirety of these two genres."

If you can answer your own question, don't bother asking it.

Nov 25, 3:04 AM

Thigh_Tide said:
sewerslider said:

"I don't understand how people can dislike an entire genre."

"But I understand how people could not like the entirety of these two genres."

If you can answer your own question, don't bother asking it.
hentai and ecchi are different because there's like, no point in watching them if you don't find anime boobies sexually attractive (especially for hentai)

Nov 25, 3:10 AM

I guess it depends, Iirc there's this one like in Wotakoi where this woman says "Yaoi is just males in a shoujo anime". And it kinda is, the whole turn-off is just that it's men doing it but if you ignore that then the romantic aspect can be acceptable. It's just really, really, really hard for me to do that though

as for hentai/ecchi, I have a friend who has never, and will never watch hentai but has seen some ecchi scenes and has decent opinions about them. And by decent I mean actual opinion that shows she watched it

Nov 25, 3:13 AM

Personally, I've always found people who say that some show is bad just because of the genre or premise, rather immature. Clannad shows that a school harem can be a deep and warm show, Arkane shows that a teenage edgy show about lesbian with an undercut can be well done, Steel Panther shows that a fat parody of a genre can have a similar quality to the genre, and so on and so forth. If you say "I hate this show because it is made in the genre ...", then you will simply ignore a lot of interesting things.

Nov 25, 3:16 AM

I personally don't like gay anime... (No problem with gays , it's just my preference so don't cancel me on twitter ) but I can understand why some like it.. for example I think yuri hentai is hot ...but yuri anime don't usually have good plot so that's also a problem but I have watched yuri ...

There may be good yaoi anime out there but I haven't tried it because it feels way too wierd
Look into my eyes and you'll find the real me. Shake my hands and I will say "I will keep moving forward until I exterminate the enemy!" Look into my heart and you'll find the Silver Soul in me.

Nov 25, 3:18 AM

indrawn said:

indrawn said:

futanari is the best πŸ˜‚πŸ˜†.... Only in hentai though... I don't like traps in anime (other than kyubei from gintama)
Look into my eyes and you'll find the real me. Shake my hands and I will say "I will keep moving forward until I exterminate the enemy!" Look into my heart and you'll find the Silver Soul in me.

Nov 25, 6:48 AM

I dislike harem and certain genres of hentai just because of how it’s portrayed, no exceptions as of yet. I generally hate fan service and from what I’ve seen harem is full of it. I hate the unnecessary over sexualisation and borderline or full on assault flooding the genre which kills the vibe for me completely. Certain genres of hentai I hate because…I don’t think it needs an explanation

Ecchi is similar but I enjoy it a lot more in comparison. At least from my experience, they tend to be a lot more lighthearted, some even nicely romantic, and less of a massive fetish dump (low-key concerning) that only caters to the majority of men and doesn’t treat women like normal people, really

I see a lot of discussion about yaoi and yuri and I haven’t seen enough of them but overall they seem okay!
Modified by kiznabell, Nov 25, 6:51 AM

Nov 25, 6:58 AM

kiznabell said:
I dislike harem and certain genres of hentai just because of how it’s portrayed, no exceptions as of yet. I generally hate fan service and from what I’ve seen harem is full of it. I hate the unnecessary over sexualisation and borderline or full on assault flooding the genre which kills the vibe for me completely. Certain genres of hentai I hate because…I don’t think it needs an explanation

Ecchi is similar but I enjoy it a lot more in comparison. At least from my experience, they tend to be a lot more lighthearted, some even nicely romantic, and less of a massive fetish dump (low-key concerning) that only caters to the majority of men and doesn’t treat women like normal people, really

I see a lot of discussion about yaoi and yuri and I haven’t seen enough of them but overall they seem okay!

14 whole anime complete and he's over here talking like he's a world weary veteran of harem anime. It's not like you say it is. Sexual assault, common in harem? You're literally making shit up. I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on it either but I do know for a fact that there's plenty of "wholesome" harem shows where nothing untoward ever happens.

Nov 25, 7:00 AM

Your post has given me multiple skull fractures and countless seizures.
JOIN THIS ABSOLUTELY BASED CLUB OR YOUR SOCIAL CREDITS ARE GOING TO BE DEDUCTED.

Nov 25, 7:04 AM
After watching Evangelion and FLCL, I have come to the conclusion that I should not watch Avant Garde anime at all. They were simply terrible imo

Nov 25, 7:10 AM

I havent watched hentai, yaoi and yuri.

Shield Hero is the only good isekai I have watched till now. I usually avoid isekai anime.

FSN 2006 is the best FSN route
Fruits Basket is overrated
Fate Zero is the best anime of the decade

Nov 25, 7:12 AM

I dislike the horror genre because I've watched some and i haven't liked almost any of them , I just don't enjoy the genre , and on yaoi I'm sure there a good yaoi shows out there but i have no desire to check them out

Nov 25, 7:18 AM

Idk man it's pretty normal to dislike a certain genre.
I doubt someone who hates, let's say horror, is gonna watch every horror anime out there just to find the One horror anime they tolerate.
It's simply not everyone's cup of tea.

γ€Œ Let us dance
to this
twisted rhythm 」

Nov 25, 7:20 AM
I dont understand why you are so surprised,it makes sense-

Nov 25, 8:26 AM

It might just not interest them, there's certain themes and stories i don't like in general and certain genre's are full of them, so i skip the genre.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.

Nov 25, 9:11 AM

epidemia78 said:
kiznabell said:

14 whole anime complete and he's over here talking like he's a world weary veteran of harem anime. It's not like you say it is. Sexual assault, common in harem? You're literally making shit up. I'm not gonna pretend to be an expert on it either but I do know for a fact that there's plenty of "wholesome" harem shows where nothing untoward ever happens.

This reply was so passive aggressive lol like chill dude it's just a genre
a-wise-man said:
It doesn't matter how many bishounens are in an anime if the plot is shit.

Nov 25, 12:29 PM
Κ•β€’α΄₯β€’Κ”

sewerslider said:

Problem is they don't usually treat gay or lesbians the same way as other couples. There is a ton of predatory and awkward tropes that exist in gay romance anime. The genre is filled with this so I could genuinely understand if someone dislikes those genres, the offerings are limited and mostly bad in my experience.

Nov 25, 1:24 PM

I find it to be funny and contradictory when these same people like certain anime of those genres. Of course, everyone has their tastes and not all shows of a particular genre will be to everyone's liking. But to use a blanket statement for an entire genre, they can't expect to not be viewed as a hypocrite and be criticized as such.

Nov 25, 1:39 PM

Pretty ironic seeing people think hating on a genre is disagreeable yet label all isekai as the same. Truth is quality is on a case by case basis over a all or nothing approach.
I think disliking certain hentai genre is more a case of biological attraction. Liking anime is for enjoyment. Hentai that doesn`t get you off fails; so disliking genres is normal in those cases. Ie Vore and yaoi gross me out.
Modified by rohan121, Nov 25, 1:43 PM

Nov 25, 1:43 PM

sewerslider said:

Well most of them dont explore the genre enough and dislike it all together. Before i actually got into bl and some mild yaoi, i was always told how trash they were? But in the end, after i personally explored the genre, i came to realize how wrong those people actually were...(Acid town, here u are are some of the best things out there) Same goes for isekai, i mean i understand how alot of isekai s are bad but the entire genre isnt... Especially considering it had re zero and angel beats in it.(But for some reason some people dont even consider these 2 to be an isekai...)Yuri is all right i guess and Gl has some great works too(Madoka magica if you consider it one)
So yeah its a different problem all together in alot of cases i suppose...

Nov 25, 1:51 PM

There isn't a single genre in anime (or any other medium) that I dislike everything from as a general rule and outright refuse to watch.

When I say I "dislike" a genre relative to others, I mean that it's my least favorite (and will often phrase it this way) because an anime from this genre has the lowest probability of piquing my interest and satisfying criteria of what would be an appealing and desirable, high quality series for me to watch or consider watching.

It isn't that series which appeal to me in those genres don't exist. It's that they might be 1% or less compared to another genre where 30 or 40 or 50% or more of the anime output therein appeals to me.

For example, my least favorite genres are:

- Comedy, but I like a lot of series which contain comedy elements/comedic relief still and carry the Comedy genre tag; just not most primary or exclusive comedies

- Sports, but I liked Hanebado! and Ping Pong the Animation, among a few others

- Ecchi, but one of my favorite series is Kodomo no Jikan

And Harem and Hentai where, although I haven't seen any titles from these which thrilled me and I rated too highly, there are still decent ones which carry that tag and I rated at least decently and don't regret watching.

So I'll watch anything of any genre in existence, but am not going to pretend I'm equally as likely to seek out or enjoy a series from the Ecchi or Harem or Comedy genres as much as the Thriller or Slice of Life or Drama genres.

Nov 25, 1:59 PM
TheMechaManiac said:
I'm really not into yaoi and yuri, but I do not hate those genres. For some reason people seem to irrationally hate mecha the most. Most of those haters have watched only Code Geass, Evangelion and Gurren Lagann (all okay to good shows, mind you) and have this preposterous idea that the rest of the genre is not worth it because it's all "toy commercials and not about the characters" (while hypocritically bying the next Asuka figure and making a soi face about it).

Isn't Mecha one of the reasons why guys usually get into anime, Code Geas Le Douche' and Evangelion are imo a little overrated (But different people like different things) and besides people exposing the *spoilers* made me not even watch Gurren Lagann.

MADOX-01 Metal Skin Panic was my first mecha, followed by Roujin Z and then I was able to watch the old Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy (which eventually like you said later projects were like long-assed toy commercials), which to me was bad-assed. There was another that caught my eye, while not being encased in an armored suit, but it was still cute and that was Frame Arms Girl, while being a "girl" anime, but the figures are still cool. -Just a some recommendations 4 you @TheMechaManiac, the rest of what I'll say will be generally overall.

Just broadly thinking, people that hate an entire genre, are basically like racists for obvious reasons, I can't stand closed minded people that won't give a title a chance, unless for obvious reasons their age and so forth.

I can't hate a genre, but I can dislike an anime from a genre, hentai just has alot of bad anime (watching a princess/student/mother and daughter(s) raped by Goblins/Ogres/Space Pirates/Thugs blah-blah-blah gets really boring, really quick and besides "duh" it's not family friendly), there are very few that are worth watching in that genre, I will agree.

Reverse harems aren't bad, but no ones recommended Boy Love anime and I've yet to come across any strangely.

Girl love anime from what I've seen is actually cool like Whispered Words/Sasameki Koto, which I thought was cute, understandable and tastefully done really well.

Anyway to each their own.
Modified by Slimsith, Nov 25, 2:14 PM

Nov 25, 2:22 PM

Most people just say they hate harem, ecchi, hentai, yaoi, yuri, and to lesser extent mecha and music(idol genre) cause of the reasons you just mentioned.
Though just like the TheMechaManiac said about mecha, people just categorized mecha genre as robot go fight in space brrrr lol

For music anime, well... you know that there are some people who skips opening and ending? Yeah, same thing as that. Or they just don't like that there aren't any male characters (most of the time) that they can self-insert to.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao

Nov 25, 2:24 PM
Slimsith said:
TheMechaManiac said:

Isn't Mecha one of the reasons why guys usually get into anime, Code Geas Le Douche' and Evangelion are imo a little overrated (But different people like different things) and besides people exposing the *spoilers* made me not even watch Gurren Lagann.

MADOX-01 Metal Skin Panic was my first mecha, followed by Roujin Z and then I was able to watch the old Mobile Suit Gundam trilogy (which eventually like you said later projects were like long-assed toy commercials), which to me was bad-assed. There was another that caught my eye, while not being encased in an armored suit, but it was still cute and that was Frame Arms Girl, while being a "girl" anime, but the figures are still cool. -Just a some recommendations 4 you @TheMechaManiac, the rest of what I'll say will be generally overall.

Just broadly thinking, people that hate an entire genre, are basically like racists for obvious reasons, I can't stand closed minded people that won't give a title a chance, unless for obvious reasons their age and so forth.

I can't hate a genre, but I can dislike an anime from a genre, hentai just has alot of bad anime (watching a princess/student/mother and daughter(s) raped by Goblins/Ogres/Space Pirates/Thugs blah-blah-blah gets really boring, really quick and besides "duh" it's not family friendly), there are very few that are worth watching in that genre, I will agree.

Reverse harems aren't bad, but no ones recommended Boy Love anime and I've yet to come across any strangely.

Girl love anime from what I've seen is actually cool like Whispered Words/Sasameki Koto, which I thought was cute, understandable and tastefully done really well.

Anyway to each their own.

I've been hearing the excuse about toy pushing and characters quite a lot both here and on social media. I personally like the genre quite a lot, but I do not mind people who are not into it. What I do mind is the pretty widespread misconception that every mecha anime "except this and this show that got memed into popularity by influencers and Youtubers" is nothing more than a toy commercial. Also respect for MADOX-01, that sounds like a pretty based entrypoint into a genre. Been planning to watch it for a while but I'll wait for the Animeigo remaster.
normies are cancer

Nov 25, 3:35 PM

Just pay attention to how they present it and it's not hard to figure out if they're just stupid kids having a myopic take or if they're just disinterested in a genre conceptually. If you see someone ranting and raving about how awful all isekai is and blah blah blah about otaku-pandering wish-fulfillment blah blah this is for virgin beta cucks and i am not a virgin beta cuck i am cool dude, they're almost certainly the former. If someone just kind of drops a one-liner about how they don't like or want to watch ecchi, it's almost certainly the latter.

It's just that honest disinterest in a concept tends to actually seem like disinterest and not just some shallow hateboner. Bonus points for when it just comes off like manufactured rage against an acceptable target to try to get bobbleheads to think that they have a good take. The irony of how much pandering-oriented rage tends to just come off as pandering to the people who'll agree with them is not lost on me.

TheMechaManiac said:

I feel your pain so much. Monogatari is my fandom's Code Geass/TTGL. People draw completely dishonest/ignorant exceptions between it and every other H&E out there and it's legit the most frustrating shit - not because there's just one person saying something stupid, but because there's many people saying something stupid. That fandom just actively tries to put down every other H&E and reduce them down into oversimplified nothings just to put their own show over.

I'm at a point where I just instinctively distrust the take of anybody who says something like "I don't like (x) genre, but..." -

"I don't like Harem and Ecchi, but Monogatari actually has characters and elements outside of the fanservice that make it entertaining."

"I don't like Mecha, but Code Geass isn't about the mecha fights, it's about the characters piloting the mecha."
Modified by Manaban, Nov 25, 3:47 PM

Nov 25, 5:36 PM

I hate the horror genre in general.

It gives me nightmares later on and I can't stand watching gore stuff.

So there's that

Nov 25, 8:28 PM

I can honestly understand not liking a genre. Some people are too wimpy for horror, some people just aren't interested in sports, etc. What I don't like is people putting off entire demographics, as if being aimed at a particular age range or gender somehow makes works lesser.

Nov 25, 8:35 PM

It would take some convincing for me to watch Yuri or Yaoi but I wouldn't completely write it off if the story was a masterpeice, for other genres though I do have my preferences, but if the show is written well and has Good characters and story, I'm probably going to like it.

The Story and Characters matter more to me then the Genre I would say.

Nov 25, 9:42 PM

I think it comes from the fact that everything they've seen from the genre has not been good
I love One Piece and Gintama

Nov 25, 10:14 PM

Even genres I tend to dislike will have exceptions.

TubbyPangolin said:
Problem is they don't usually treat gay or lesbians the same way as other couples. There is a ton of predatory and awkward tropes that exist in gay romance anime. The genre is filled with this so I could genuinely understand if someone dislikes those genres, the offerings are limited and mostly bad in my experience.

Counterpoint: Straight romance does this too. It's only easier to find good straight romance because the sample size is larger. (an important advantage, I admit)

Manaban said:
I'm at a point where I just instinctively distrust the take of anybody who says something like "I don't like (x) genre, but..."

That explains why you haven't watched any Go Nagai in response to my endless praise.
デデデは偉い!デデデはすごい!
Seraph of the End ripped off Shade's Children.

Nov 25, 10:24 PM

how in the world can you be ok with straight romance but categorically dislike all yaoi and yuri? not every gay romance show is the stereotypical smutfest that you people are imagining lol. there's tons of good romance dramas that just happen to be about a gay couple
Modified by oyabuntaro, Nov 25, 10:31 PM

Nov 25, 10:30 PM

HeruruMeruru said:
I can honestly understand not liking a genre. Some people are too wimpy for horror, some people just aren't interested in sports, etc. What I don't like is people putting off entire demographics, as if being aimed at a particular age range or gender somehow makes works lesser.

I'd like to say the demographic tags are meaningless but are they really? Sure, there are outliers like Aria and A Silent Voice but by and large, shounen are about battles. Battles that go on and on and on forever. That's what people are talking about when they say "I don't like shounen."

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »