Forum Settings
Forums

Has a lack of art styles made anime fans stupid?

Nov 24, 3:52 PM
In the last 10 years, it's very common for all mainstream anime to look effectively the same, with outliers usually being reboots of retro shows, or shounen jump series. This has led to everyone who follows seasonal or popular series to become deeply confused and enraged when an anime like Eizouken or Ranking of Kings premier and have an actual art style - like forest dwellers who are seeing a graphic tshirt for the first time.

What do you think of this phenomenon? The act of people who consume nothing but cartoons being flabbergasted at animation being varied and creative?

Nov 24, 3:54 PM

A lack of variety can be seen as one contributing factor, another factor can also be social media addiction like twitter and tik tok as well as the lack of reading and love of it as well that contributes to dull uncreative minds.

Nov 24, 3:56 PM
Nyron said:
In the last 10 years, it's very common for all mainstream anime to look effectively the same, with outliers usually being reboots of retro shows, or shounen jump series. This has led to everyone who follows seasonal or popular series to become deeply confused and enraged when an anime like Eizouken or Ranking of Kings premier and have an actual art style - like forest dwellers who are seeing a graphic tshirt for the first time.

What do you think of this phenomenon? The act of people who consume nothing but cartoons being flabbergasted at animation being varied and creative?

All I can say is those people seriously need to stop gobbling up the same shit non-stop and branch out.
normies are cancer

Nov 24, 4:15 PM

Where are those people so I can laugh at them? Why would people get interested in anime if they don't want creativity and variety to begin with? Wtf.
Life is a despicable endurance race

Nov 24, 4:19 PM
Nubiellee said:
Where are those people so I can laugh at them? Why would people get interested in anime if they don't want creativity and variety to begin with? Wtf.

my friend, how long have you been on this site LMAO
the forums feel like you're walking into a daycare most of the time.

Nov 24, 4:33 PM

There are plenty of anime styles. I don't see a limit to different animation styles just a tendency to stick to the road most travelled. Animation is done digitally plus the addition of CGI more often so what I would say I guess is that it often is much cleaner looking. I guess you could call it a lack of personality, but there are plenty of newer shows with differing styles.

Also there are a lot more anime being done yearly now than ever by a lot, there are not an equally larger amount of animators to animate. This could be a factor as well.

Nov 24, 4:36 PM

I certainly appreciate seeing different styles, which is one reason I'm so fond of shorts. More variety on the seasonal front would definitely be welcome, but I don't think expecting it is entirely fair. Anime will follow certain industry trends and less conventional work will naturally have a harder time receiving funding.

I've gathered that a lot of people on here are primarily interested in the story/entertainment value of a work, so an unconventional style is not necessarily indicative of its performance (both that you mentioned have faired relatively well). People complaining about something looking different is bound to happen (people like the familiar), but that's not my problem - as long as Japan continues to produce visually intriguing works and they do well critically, I'm satisfied.
R.I.P. Dementia, gone but always forgotten.

Nov 24, 4:40 PM

Ah yes, who doesn't know that one sector of your average iq-tests: rate the anime art style.

Nov 25, 4:03 AM

Some people might be confused, but I'm seeing just as many praising these kind of anime as the second coming of Christ.

Anything different from the norm is bound to elicit more extreme opinions, no surprise here.

Nov 25, 4:21 AM

honestly I can't say i've personally run into anyone with such reactive tendencies as to decry an anime exclusively for having a different art style

if groups of such characters exist i don't particularly care to see to them kek

Nov 25, 4:22 AM

I kind of agree but also kind of disagree and have no other opinons other than that.

γ€Œγ…€ "𝘠𝘰𝘢𝘳 π˜₯𝘳π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 π˜ͺ𝘴 𝘡𝘩𝘦 π˜₯𝘳π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘡𝘩𝘒𝘡 𝘸π˜ͺ𝘭𝘭 𝘱π˜ͺ𝘦𝘳𝘀𝘦 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘏𝘦𝘒𝘷𝘦𝘯𝘴!"ㅀ」

Nov 25, 4:47 AM

I agree wholeheartedly and it's a real and noticeable problem. Great idea for a thread topic.

It's the epitome of the exact mentality which crucified Aku no Hana.

Now I anticipate there may be eventually a torrent of comments coming in to the effect of "No! What do you mean?! I don't do that and have never once encountered anyone doing anything remotely close to that in the slightest bit everywhere out of the millions of comments I've scanned and people I've interacted with in the entire history of MAL and the whole of the internet ever!" as is usually the commonplace gut reaction and rhetorical defense mechanism which is oh so expected whenever a general, potentially inflammatory criticism is lodged against a very obvious and noticeable, aggressive trend. They usually resort to denying such a trend or mentality even exists or is as ubiquitous as it is.

Now personally, I couldn't care less what art style someone else likes or doesn't like or the reasons behind their preference. I mean, if I care it's only in the sense of intellectual curiosity about the tastes and rationale of others. I don't care if they like something I dislike or vice versa in the abstract. Everyone is entitled to watch what they like and have their own reasons for liking or disliking any given thing.

The problem is when such people are usually extremely vocal and aggressive about this being their reason for rejecting a series that tries anything new and different, and this being increasingly the majority - at least the visible majority. There is a predilection toward obsession with adherence to uniformity and submission to conformity. The art style not being allowed to stray from a very narrow path, I find, is often indicative of some of the same people being very reflexively defensive and unwilling to consider or entertain for a moment anything different in other aspects of the anime as well, or even in their attitudes in other spheres of life.

And the reason it's a problem that there are so many of those people who usually consistently, repetitively, aggressively, and loudly come out of the woodwork in droves to outright condemn any anime that dare deviates from this is that I fear it will - and to a significant extent already has - cow the actual artistic creators into submission and prevent them from experimentation, for which animation is the perfect medium and absolutely should be this free and boundless wild canvas and expanse of human creativity and freedom, out of fear of the usual reactionary mob backlash and consequent financial losses from reduction of market viability.

So it's a shame this attitude is so prevalent and it probably has a great deal of weight as a consumer base in shaping the direction of the industry.

The result is more and more things being the same. Anime is not insulated in a vacuum from public opinion and is not immune like any other form of art or walk of life where this is the general trend. Things looking the same, sounding the same, and being the same in essence (in an anime or other form of fictional visual media, this can manifest as writing also remaining beholden to this mindless, autopilot uniformity driven and sustained on inertia and fear).

Then people wonder why and even indignantly question why there is a preponderance of generic content. It didn't arise as antimatter from beyond the ether. It's a direct reflection of the audience and all its shortcomings.
Modified by WatchTillTandava, Nov 25, 4:51 AM

Nov 25, 5:07 AM

I see the opposite. With said examples you've given, both series have a score of 8.00+, with the latter literally being the top 25 of all time.

People seem to appreciate anything, although sometimes when something weird comes to play people seem to downplay the anime, like Gal and Dino for example.
The possibility that the post below me is a meticulously well-crafted shitpost, is rather high.

If you are bored, free forum post count generator!! (100% legit working no fake money-back guarantee)

Nov 25, 5:20 AM

As long as it doesn't look like Aku no Hana. A major appeal of anime is that it looks pretty, in contrast to many western animation where characters look like colorful vaguely humanoid blobs in shows such as The Simpsons and Steven Universe. Art style is fine as long as they don't start trying to make all the characters look intentionally ugly and mutated.
β˜†β˜†β˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
β˜†β˜†β˜†

Nov 25, 5:24 AM

I like different art-style but ping pong the animation is an exception.

Nov 25, 12:52 PM
NekoZamurai said:
I like different art-style but ping pong the animation is an exception.
hope this is implying you like Ping Pong because god what a fuckin excellent show

Nov 25, 1:04 PM
Nyron said:

maybe the animation studios just found the right formula that balances decent enough artsyle that is also easy\cheap to create. or just artistic bankruptcy, which shouldn't be entirely blamed on new creators or animation studios because after decades of Anime the medium itself is very saturated and finding the unique and different becomes harder and harder.

Nov 25, 1:37 PM

Nyron said:

It's not like this started recently. Sure, it may have grown exponentially due to globalisation and the internet that made the already messy schedules even more fucked, but it's not something t hat just now came into being. Like think about all the trash anime from hte 70s/80s/90s that nobody talks about because, well, they are trash. People talk about Garzey's Wing, granted Tomino's name is attached to it so it's bound to be remembered, but who would mention stuff like 1+2=Paradise, Ayame High Kick, Aoki Honoo, etc.

Likewise, I'll probably forget about the seasonal generic, boring shit that looks like other shit that's way more popular/better. But that's a problem with the industry overproducing anime. Like, there are almost 50 shows airing this season, and that's without factoring stuff that's continuing from previous seasons. Who needs 50+ anime in a season? But that's besides the point.

Good shit is there, you just have to look for it

Nov 25, 1:46 PM

No! What do you mean?! I don't do that and have never once encountered anyone doing anything remotely close to that in the slightest bit everywhere out of the millions of comments I've scanned and people I've interacted with in the entire history of MAL and the whole of the internet ever

Nov 25, 1:54 PM

Gween_Gween said:
No! What do you mean?! I don't do that and have never once encountered anyone doing anything remotely close to that in the slightest bit everywhere out of the millions of comments I've scanned and people I've interacted with in the entire history of MAL and the whole of the internet ever

Now I'm furious.

Don't get cheeky....

Nov 25, 2:02 PM

As WatchTillTandava and EndlessMaria said, as long as it doesn't look like Aku no Hana anime, I'm good with it.

Nov 25, 4:45 PM

Stopped reading at "or shounen jump series"...if those are supposed to be outliers I can't take seriously any claims from the OP.

On the main theme - in every anime historical period you have a lot of mainstream stuff which looks similarly and only a few unique experimental titles.

Nov 25, 5:18 PM

to be honest, i can agree a little with what OP said.

I've encountered people who do not even want to give shows like Ousama Ranking, Ping Pong the Animation or JJBA a try because the art style is "weird" or "childish". Just because the art style is different from what you usually watch, doesn't mean that it's a bad show.
π•Ώπ–π–Š π–˜π–šπ–“ π–Žπ–˜ π–’π–ž π–Šπ–“π–Šπ–’π–ž, π–‡π–šπ–™ π–™π–π–Š 𝖒𝖔𝖔𝖓 π–π–†π–˜ π–‡π–Šπ–Šπ–“ π–Œπ–”π–”π–‰ 𝖙𝖔 π–’π–Š.

Shinobu best waifu.