Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 4, 2010 5:29 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
So, " ripple " is like ki (the name made me chuckle a few times.)
Good ending, though I wouldn't have mind a couple of character development chapters between Jo and Dio to make me care about their dead more.
6-7/10 Good start. Several times the action scenes looked confusing (probably because I watched Hokuto No Ken first), I hope he improves.

TuzoAnimeApr 4, 2010 5:34 PM
Dec 12, 2011 4:03 AM

Jun 2009
It was rather average and incredibly generic i'd say. I could give half a fuck about the ending because the mangaka never even bothered to illustrate the relationship between Jojo and Dio. Still, I've heard countless times that this is the worse of the series and it gets oh, so much better later on.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 15, 2011 12:41 AM

Jan 2008
insan3soldiern said:
It was rather average and incredibly generic i'd say. I could give half a fuck about the ending because the mangaka never even bothered to illustrate the relationship between Jojo and Dio. Still, I've heard countless times that this is the worse of the series and it gets oh, so much better later on.

Yeah part 1 is drastically different from the rest, when 'stand' powers start appearing in the story (part 3 I think?), the battles are insane and the most creative I've seen put to page. They make stuff like Naruto and One Piece look childish in comparison.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Sep 28, 2012 4:20 PM

Feb 2008
Their relationship should have been more developed, that's true. But the death still looked pretty awesome. My biggest complain would be Speed Wagon. He had absolutely no role than being the guy that has to repeat whatever is happening. I see why they removed him from that unreleased movie. It'd be pretty much the same without him.

I agree that the manga was average and the story could have used some work. But since this was supposed to be the weakest part, I'd give the sequels a try for sure.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 13, 2013 7:08 AM

Mar 2013
I REALLY enjoyed this.At first I wasn't fond of JJBA,but,Now I'm excited for part 2!
Poor jonathan QQ

Overall: 7.3/10.
CanuteApr 13, 2013 9:17 AM
Jul 15, 2013 9:36 AM

Sep 2011
Well, I expected much more. In terms of character development, the manga is terrible. I hope the series get better in the sequels.
Jul 26, 2015 1:21 AM

Aug 2012
Thus ends Phantom Blood, with our dead hero hugging the still living decapitated hero of his fated rival. To put my thoughts succinctly, Phantom Blood sucks.

But to be more verbose, Phantom Blood really sucks. Since it's been brought up before, characters, their development is basically non-existent & their relationships aren't well-explored, if explored at all. The "core" dynamic between Dio & Jonathan is really all that needs to observed, as it was basically just pure evil versus pure good. To be fair, I do think in terms of a despising, dastardly son of a bitch, Dio fits the build well enough. This isn't to be confused with him being an interesting character but he's not intended to be anything deeper than a personification of evil & it works. Jonathan on the other hand, is suppose to be the polar opposite, similar to how Hamon is the opposite of the Stone Mask. This, is a little more frustrating because simply put, the goody two-shoes character is always more annoying to deal with than the mustache twirling villain. The reason for this is because the focus is primarily on the good guy, not the villain. So what we're left with is a bland protagonist to root for, one devoid of personality outside of his gentleman shtick. The relationship between the two doesn't really extend past this either, they grew up together but we spend next to no time witnessing that time, only getting the very beginning & the very end of their time at the Joestar manor. Speaking in terms of characters, they only exist to showcase that one is evil, the other is good & they're fated to fight.

Looking past those two leaves us with a myriad of non-characters who at best, get a little more development than their archetype, for example, love interest Erina gets nothing, doomed to death mentor Zeppeli gets a little (though his relationship with JoJo is horribly executed if we're suppose to buy the whole "father/son" connection Zeppeli mentioned while dying). Not that any of the side characters really matter all that much, Jonathan is the one who does everything. At most, Zeppeli is given a moment or two, like a completely irrelevant moment of dealing with the debris of Bruford's armor or a plot point like given his power to Jonathan to help beat Dio.

This is one of my problems with the story though considering it's length, it's a little more forgivable. One of my biggest problems with the story is that after awhile it just becomes an arcade run. The only plot that exists is the heroes traveling from Fight A to Fight B. None of the fights are particularly memorable either, so it's doesn't even begin to balance out. I've touched on this in an earlier thread but the "bizarre" aspects of this part aren't well-incorporated. Bruford's death sequence is a prime example, with the "Pluck" oddness muddled the sentiment the scene was trying to go for while failing to delivering a successful punchline because of the timing. It's the most prominent example but it's not the only one. Dire somehow living as a decapitated head, capable of flinging a rose from his mouth to Dio's eye is certainly bizarre but it also destroys any impact from his defeat. Course there wasn't any impact from his defeat to begin with since he randomly debuted like a chapter or two prior with no foreshadowing but I digress. Ultimately this leads to a very boring experience.

Visually, the series is decent. Some panels contained really messed up proportions but there were some really good art in there, as well as some good poses. It's not as good as the later parts but then again, that's par for the course. It's a shame some people drop after here and don't get to experience just how good it gets later on, particularly Part 4 (about half-way through & it's my favorite part so far) but I definitely understand them. Phantom Blood puts up a pretty dissuading argument to starting the series. 4/10.
TerrestriousJul 26, 2015 2:23 PM
Sep 24, 2015 4:55 AM

Oct 2014
I can´t add anything that hasn´t already been said,so I make it short.It just hasn´t aged all that well.I read it in full color,but the art and the character anatomy was still bad in my opinion,as well as the story and the character development.But it wasn´t all that long and there were some enjoyable moments,I felt like I was watching an 80´s trash movie,so I can´t be too harsh.
But I heard,that the later parts are much greater than this.From what I´ve seen the art gets drastically better too and I joined for the fabulous stands in the first place,so I´m definitely going to read the next part(s).
Apr 10, 2016 4:09 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Overall, this is the weakest storyline in the JoJo series. But the ending was awesome though (^_^)

4/5
May 7, 2016 9:54 AM

Aug 2014
R.I.P Jonathan "JoJo" Joestar", a true gentleman to the very end.

This part was overall ok for it's time, probably wouldn't had like it as much if I didn't watch the anime version before.
Oct 6, 2016 11:39 AM
Jun 2014
THE WHOLE SERIES WAS SO EPIC! I'm going to start the 2nd part soon, I hope it's good.
Jan 29, 2017 6:12 AM

Sep 2008
That scene when JoJo is hugging Dio's head will be probably one of my most favorite scenes ever.
Jun 16, 2017 2:28 PM
Apr 2017
Beatnik said:
insan3soldiern said:

Yeah part 1 is drastically different from the rest, when 'stand' powers start appearing in the story (part 3 I think?), the battles are insane and the most creative I've seen put to page. They make stuff like Naruto and One Piece look childish in comparison.
Even hamon gets more developed in part 2 but still i thought part 1 was great the battle were well stablished and for the short time this was the characters were greatly developed
Oct 22, 2017 6:30 AM
Mar 2015
All in all I'd say it was pretty weak. Even for the 'battle' genre.
The over the top and parody-esque themes of the battles made me exited for the upcoming parts though.

All in all I'd give the series a weak 5/10 so far, but with the knowledge that this is the lowest score it'll ever have.
Dec 18, 2017 10:37 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Beautiful end chapter!!!
Jonathan died with the DIo head in his arms!!! Erina survived!!!
Feb 12, 2018 12:06 PM

Dec 2015
Great finale, of course it had to go with a BANG. Even the (nice) panel of the dead Jonathan embracing his brother felt "touching" (although, I don't know why but I was quite sad that DIO was doomed to death/oblivion (would the head live forever underwater without a body?).

5/5

Also, seriously: "character development"? REALLY? XD

Despite some ugly and numerous average drawings, the author was able to deliver some pretty frames and other impatcing ones. Everything was cheesy, like it was the will of the mangaka who draw about things he liked (kung-fu movies?). At least, it transpirated this way. Another thing who was clear enough without reading the interviews: the fact that Araki wanted first and foremost to show us DIO, the pure evil (and a source of most of the fun of the manga).

Mix old british novels,vampires, mystic kungfu in a japanese mixer.You 'll get this super ridiculous hommage to B/Z-movies of old times.
Overall score: 6/10
Rei_IIIFeb 12, 2018 12:10 PM
Feb 18, 2018 6:28 AM

Jan 2018
Kryptiq said:

This part was overall ok for it's time, probably wouldn't had like it as much if I didn't watch the anime version before.

Just the opposite for me, I tried to watch the anime some time ago and didn't like it that much, but I kinda liked the manga, I think I'll give the anime another try now.

May 5, 2018 9:41 AM

Feb 2017
Was a fun read overall. The drawings during action sequences were easier for me to understand than some other mangas I've read. Really looking forward to later parts. I can't wait for stands!
Aug 10, 2018 1:21 AM

Dec 2015
Overall, this manga started out very cringy and cheesy, but it slowly grew on me. It has a certain charm to even though it's actually pretty bad lol.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Oct 10, 2018 2:44 AM

May 2016
Jonathan's untimely demise was a very tragic and noble death. He urged Erina to save a stranger's baby instead of dying by his side and held Dio in place so he'll finally end the nightmare by entwining their two destinies right at the very end.

Erina ended up using Dio's gothic bomb shelter and thankfully got rescued not too long after. As one Jojo's story finishes, another one starts. It was fun tagging along with him in short but eventful journey ;~;

Nov 12, 2018 11:42 PM
Oct 2018
I really enjoyed this, idk why people think it’s bad but apparently it gets better so I’m interested to see how. On to part 2!!
Dec 5, 2018 8:28 AM

Feb 2013
What an amazing ending, perfect!
Jonathan died holding Dio's head.
At least Erina survived.
Aug 21, 2019 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
Good start. It's beyond me how people can overhate this part while JoJo is the most beloved good-taste anime franchise as for now.
Sep 14, 2019 10:30 PM

Jun 2016
Long post so I shall spoiler tag it for organizations sake. Sorry if it's confusing I am tired right now.

Edit: I went back to this post to edit it, maintaining the original sentiment but also expressing why I feel Phantom Blood is one of the best manga I’ve read. Later Jojo parts only made me enjoy it more, and the more time that goes by, the more it grows in my mind. I call back to it often, the evocative scenes, or the heartfelt characters. And because of that, I wanted to reflect this by tightening up the wording and changing the score to an 8/10.
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsApr 30, 2020 7:42 AM
Nov 24, 2019 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
And so Phantom Blood ends. It was a tragic ending but very touching as well. Pretty good part overall!
Despite its short size it showed everything that the Jojo series has to offer!
Feb 13, 2020 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
Really cool part. I liked that oldschool vibe with maybe generic, but still enjoyable plot.

The panel with JoJo's friends with the Atlantic ocean in the background was really emotional.

I read this manga after watching anime adaptations of Parts 1-5 and after reading Part 6 manga.

In my opinion, judging only Part 1 (because it would be unfair to talk about whether manga or anime adaptation is better in Parts 1-5 since I'm familiar only with their animes), the manga was superior to anime adaptation. It was more fun, more complex (like some scenes that didn't appear in the anime while they could be a fine addition to it and make the whole anime simply better). And I'm saying that as a person who started his adventure with JoJo via its great anime adaptations (I tip my hat to David Production).

Part 1 was the first Part in JoJo universe. Some people say it's the worst. Well, it had its flaws, but combining all positives and negatives, to me it was not the worst Part (I really disliked most of arcs in Stardust Crusaders, lol), and not the best either. Still a fine piece of manga to read.
Apr 13, 2020 12:46 PM
Apr 2020
I absolutely disagree with those saying it was terrible. Sure, the author could have spent more time on character development and I would have loved to see more of the main characters' backstory and personality (especially Speedwagon's and Zeppeli's) but I think that calling it a "terrible" or awful manga is a bit too much.

I wouldn't say it's a 10, maybe not even a 9, but a solid 8 for sure. The relationship between JoJo and Dio is imho well developed, the characters are all interesting and it's a good foundation for what I hear is a great series. I'll definitely be reading more.

Oh, and all the music references were just too good (e.g Zeppeli - Zeppelin; Ogre Street - Queen's Ogre Battle; Tonpetty - Tom Petty, etc.)
Providence1890Apr 13, 2020 1:33 PM
Leave me alone.
Jan 30, 2021 10:12 AM

Sep 2011
The end of Part 1. Jonathan died, but he was able to save Erina and the kid. And looks like Erina was pregnant at the time.

Well, not the best thing that I ever read, but still it was a nice read. Dio was a good villain.
Mar 29, 2021 6:14 AM
Jan 2018
In same cases yeah this part is very weak compared to the others but this is what started it all.

I'm not sure what the authors original plan was if he inteded for this to be the first part of many or this was was going to go on longer but was cut short ?

For this arc in the anime I gave it a low 5 almost 4 due to the rushed nature and animation I would give the manga a 6 it was a nice read.

Looking forward to eventually reading part 2 in manga form.
Jul 22, 2021 3:05 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know why. I kind of feel conflicted in how I should score this. Overall, I would say that I enjoyed it much more than the anime. The characters and the dialogue were cheesy. But I felt like the characters and the story had much more depth in the manga in comparison to the anime. I also liked Jonathan Joestar a lot more in the manga. He was still just as saint-like in the anime. But I feel like he was more of a badass and less of a pushover in the manga.
removed-userJul 22, 2021 10:46 AM
Aug 28, 2021 10:25 AM

Jan 2021
Hey hey hey I actually enjoyed this chapter tbh. Though I watched the anime first, I was really amazed with how they put up the ending. Yeah we all know it was sudden and unfair to kill of the mc and such, but if there’s one thing I love abt Part 1, it would be fast character development in a span of 44 chapters. I wished there was more to the ending tbh, but Araki was still learning himself on a proper well-written plot, and I agree so much that the fight scenes felt a bit lacking, because they were well thought and I wanted to see what’s more in store. I wish part 1 was longer. It was a good start and I really loved Jonathan’s character to the point he became one of my most favorite anime characters to this date.

LMAO 11 outta 10
Anime fan and enjoyer since 2017, but still searching for more well written and unpredictable anime cuz bruh I’ve been stuck in the shounen genre for a long time and I wanna explore more poopoo caca

Sep 30, 2021 7:04 AM

Jul 2020
tbh it'was better than the anime adaptation(2012) i' enjoyed it truly.
Oct 10, 2022 2:39 AM

Jan 2011
Finished rereading it. Feel the same way as my first read. It's better than the anime adaptation. I like how it starts off fairly mundane for a good bit before the bizarreness starts increasing, both for it in isolation and in the context of the full series. Phantom Blood is kinda underrated, but it's true the series only gets better from here.
Jan 11, 2023 6:44 PM
Dec 2022
I did not expect that. Like at all!

Chapter:5/5
Overall:6/10
Jan 21, 2023 11:23 AM

Nov 2020
finishing my jojo part 1 re-reading, this part was peak :D

Feb 20, 2023 9:32 PM
Jun 2022
A good start up to a overreaching series good side characters however it feels a little generic in comparison to later parts but still a good read.
Jul 12, 2023 7:59 PM
Jul 2018
It was interesting how we started a new adventure
Aug 11, 2023 10:48 AM

Apr 2017
Just finished reading this chapter. I enjoyed this series but there were some turns that didn't make much sense, and it's a shame because this manga could have been easily a 9/10 instead of a 7/10. Dio was really an asshole and Jonathan has been a bit stupid in some occasions, but he was strong and resilent as hell. I liked baron Zeppeli a lot and I didn't mind Speedwagon also, even if he was powerless for the most part and it would have been cool if he learned Hamon too. All in all I don't regret reading this manga and i look forward at the next part of this series, hoping that it doesn't end like this one.
Aug 29, 2023 12:18 PM
Jun 2023
Great end to Part 1
Sep 28, 2023 7:25 AM

Jun 2011
I remember watching the anime and hating this part. The manga version elevated it to 7/10 and that is mainly because it was so easy to digest + extra scenes. Araki really knew how to make smooth panels even back then. The art compared to his modern art sucks, but has a certain retro charm to it since it was made in the 80s.

Nov 17, 2023 5:42 AM

Apr 2020
Incredible ending! This moment was like the titanic, with Erina as the only survivor.

Rip Jojo. His death is gonna be memorable

More topics from this board

» Debunking Araki Forgot by Hamon Beat

animalia - Apr 11

0 by animalia »»
Apr 11, 12:24 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 1 Discussion

accela - Sep 1, 2009

33 by Yassinecss »»
Mar 14, 6:47 AM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 7 Discussion

Alipio - Dec 19, 2010

20 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:38 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 5 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

31 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:35 PM

Poll: » JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 1: Phantom Blood Chapter 4 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 23, 2009

26 by Mcdoclin »»
Feb 2, 10:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.