Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
86--EIGHTY-SIX (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Nov 28, 2021 11:35 PM
Jan 2021
It's great. If you get it, it may also be your AOTY. It's not something you should watch for fun. It takes time to build up and you have to keep patience. You have to use your brain in every single moment and if you get it you'll definitely call it a masterpiece.
Nov 29, 2021 1:32 AM
Sep 2016
The only way forward for humanity is the Imperium of Man.
The Man Emperor of Mankind loves the human race and as any good father will beat the shit out of humans and teach them humility and gratitude.

That is the only way for the human race to survive in a grimdark setting.

This Magnolian Republic is nothing more than a cheap authoritarian fascist dictatorship.
The Imperium would kick the Republic's balls right up their throat.

"It is better to die for the Emperor than to live for yourself."
Dec 8, 2021 8:32 AM
Nov 2019
Hornsby said:
I barely made it through the first season. The animation's pretty good. But the story is so repetitive and boring. There's a lot of anime that have done the same story but better. Take Iron-Blooded Orphans, that shit was fire. I feel IBO is so underrated considering this overrated boring thing.

^ Btw, there's a loli in season 2?? Pff, that's an immediate off-button for me.
Agree with you, I just finished ep8 ss2 and feel boring af, and that loli stuff is freakin annoying, i hate her voice so much
Dec 9, 2021 3:51 AM
Dec 2021
No it isnt. It is HORRENDOUSLY overrated. But that is the way dystopian future anime go. Dystopian future anime are ALWAYS overrated. Darling in the Franxx. 86. Neon Genisis Evangelion. You name it, if it is distopian future it is RIDICULOUSLY overrated.
Dec 9, 2021 5:39 AM
Mar 2021
I'm having fun watching it so it must be good. But I have bad taste so idk.
Dec 10, 2021 3:33 AM
May 2021
Military, Sci-Fi
You won't find many shows that can give you a nice experience but 86 will.
And later here you will also get romance (LN)
Animation, direction, bgm and almost everything in this anime is perfect 🔥🔥
Dec 11, 2021 2:52 PM
Feb 2021
It's good, but there are a few plot holes. They aren't detrimental to the overall product, though.
"Tomatoes are nutritious and scrumptious."--Ryuunoske Akasaka, "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou"

Sword Art Online is mid, not utter trash. Oh yes, I'm such a rebel. 😎
Dec 15, 2021 11:32 PM

Oct 2019
Nirinbo said:
I can only tell about my experience. I dropped it because it was super boring, which means that it isn't well written or well directed enough for how slow it is.

The light novel might be better, I don't rule out that possibility.

86 is not well directed?

i mean i do get why someone may find it boring, but not well directed?

are you drunk, are you joking, or do actually believe that?
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 15, 2021 11:43 PM

Oct 2019
Requiemofthewind said:
Ok im gonna stop the bait,but It's seriously Really that good?reccomended?is it one of the best Mecha anime yet?or even better than Evangelion and Gurenn lagann?
Idk yet still planning to watch 86,it has really high score in mal both anime and light novel.

it has to do with what you look for in an anime.

is it well directed? extremely, best of past few years in fact

is it well written? yes

does it have good visuals and music? yes very much so

does it have good characters? eehhhh... they're ok. nothing terrible, but nothing too special either.

is it an interesting story? kind of. here's the thing, the events aren't anything that unexpected or special, if the show wasn't this well directed and well written, the story alone could not have carried the show.

so is it good? yes very much so, but if you only care about the idea of a story, and the idea of the characters skip it.

86 has perfected what it wants to do. so read what it is about, if the idea is interesting to you, it's a must watch, if it's not, you will most likely find it boring
Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 16, 2021 12:02 AM

Nov 2019
it's alright, not bad or not great for that matter. There are some interesting moments beginning mid and end
Dec 16, 2021 2:40 AM

Sep 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Nirinbo said:
I can only tell about my experience. I dropped it because it was super boring, which means that it isn't well written or well directed enough for how slow it is.

86 is not well directed?

No, I'm not fucking drunk, you stranger on the internet. Please tell me some examples of good directing in 86, but I mean during dialogues and not in action scenes.

I'm not counting action scenes because 90% of most anime, action ones like 86 included, is made of scenes of people standing still and talking. Those are the scenes that need to be made as interesting as possible and 86 utterly failed.
Dec 16, 2021 4:06 AM

Oct 2019
Nirinbo said:
Apolygon2 said:

86 is not well directed?

No, I'm not fucking drunk, you stranger on the internet. Please tell me some examples of good directing in 86, but I mean during dialogues and not in action scenes.

I'm not counting action scenes because 90% of most anime, action ones like 86 included, is made of scenes of people standing still and talking. Those are the scenes that need to be made as interesting as possible and 86 utterly failed.

ok then.

but i'm not going to do it myself, since

1 this guy does it better

and 2 it would take a LOT of writing.

so just watch this and you can realize how wrong you are, since i believe 86 to be one of the best directed anime of all time and easily and by far the best directed anime this year.

https://youtu.be/fAl0kWbz1Fc

just give this a proper watch. it's only like 15 minutes long.
Also available at:

Dec 16, 2021 6:13 AM

Sep 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Nirinbo said:

ok then.

so just watch this and you can realize how wrong you are, since i believe 86 to be one of the best directed anime of all time and easily and by far the best directed anime this year.

I also watched the episode analyzed in the video since, coincidentally, I had dropped 86 right before that one.

Just as someone said in the comments of that video, the directing is still painfully average, aside from a FEW scenes that don't change my overall opinion of it. If you liked 86 good for you, I won't change your mind, but this isn't one of the "best directed anime of all time". Odd Taxi might fit this definition, among the anime that aired this year.
Dec 16, 2021 5:06 PM

Oct 2019
Nirinbo said:
Apolygon2 said:

ok then.

I also watched the episode analyzed in the video since, coincidentally, I had dropped 86 right before that one.

Just as someone said in the comments of that video, the directing is still painfully average, aside from a FEW scenes that don't change my overall opinion of it. If you liked 86 good for you, I won't change your mind, but this isn't one of the "best directed anime of all time". Odd Taxi might fit this definition, among the anime that aired this year.

odd taxi is more consistence with it's direction and is a better show, i give you that.

but come one you can't honestly think you're not bias.

odd taxi does not have a single stand out scene in terms of direction. it's just "good". it's good all the way, but it's never more than that.

i mean it's like i'm fan boying the show, 86 is like my 9th or 10th favorite this year. it wouldn't even make it to my top 25 of all time, and i've only seen like 150 anime.

it's not like i love the characters, or i'm extremely interested in the story, but i still think 86 directing is so good that when in an episode nothing happens, it still feels like minutes. the only other anime that did this for me was steins;gate. but unlike 86, with steins gate, i instantly loved the characters. i don't think the characters and story of 86 are more than just good, i think what is making those episodes short, is the directing, and writing, not the story and characters.

i mean come on, me and you both know that none of us is an actual director, we only try to understand it by paying attention to it. but from what most people say, the score, the videos on this show, i say you are clearly the bias one here.
Also available at:

Dec 17, 2021 2:39 AM
Jun 2020
inim said:
86 is a mixed blessing. Thematically it's quite good, nice to see serious and dark anti-war themes picked up. Stands out for sure from the forgettable seasonal bulk ware. The presentation triggers me a bit, characters are too young and there really is no need for a military officer to wear ganter belts other than cheap fan service. But overall: good to see a show like that tailored for a new audience.

86 (2021)
Grim-dark sci-fi version of All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) in a racist dystopia. Genuinely good writing and animation. The fly in the ointment is the abnormally young cast, and details like the Major's stripperific uniform. Otherwise a really good show with a very strong anti-war and anti-racism message. What confuses me in particular is the mix of modern, crisp and detailed animation of 10-16 year old protagonists mixed with a deeply disturbing setting of government organized murder, not short of the levels seen in FMA:B. It doesn't help that those kids are presented as veterans of 4-5 years front experience, i.e. soldiers since they were 10 and younger. Same for their commanding officer, a girl of maybe 15-16 years and the rank of a Major.

Thematically it's clearly worth a much higher rating, and visually it's impressive as well - the mecha scenes in particular are top notch action. If this is the way to get young audiences interested in more serious and political stories, so be it. I'm struggling with the mix, but in a good way because despite all this it's a show standing out from the ever same mediocre happy go lucky anime shows so prevalent this year. (7/10)

A geniunely good take, the rating may sting my feelings as a fan of the series but I still appreciate your review, not being biased at all
Dec 17, 2021 2:09 PM
Apr 2017
I dropped it halfway through episode 7. I only watched for that long because I heard good things about 86. My god the pacing is SO SLOW. Why show the same scene from a different perspective if it's just the main protagonist in a big room? That adds nothing beyond padding the episode length. I think this is just a teenager lovey-dovey gateway anime.
Dec 17, 2021 2:17 PM

Jul 2019
A solid middle of the mark type of series. 86 handles its themes more maturely compare to anime of today but still doesn't excuse its conventional elements.

A solid 6 out of 10--especially it's better in part 2.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Dec 18, 2021 1:10 PM
Dec 2021
Popular anime Will Always get a shitload of hate and bias, also fans (like myself for 86) won't be objective either, though i can tell that what made me a fan of the series isn't affection to the characters or whatever naive weibo reason, but the actual quality of the series.
I don't like mecha anime and i don't care for war stories, I never get into waifus and I am neither some extremist for the rights of the people or to deny them, OP characters bore me and lolis creep me out. So what has made me love this series really is just the quality it shows off and the dedication this studio has put into their work, that's what makes 86 stand high above most of this season's animes.
Milizè and Shin to me are at a level of character building and depth I can compare with Hachiman and Yuigahama for example, and I'm only following the anime anyway. Up to last week episode I wouldn't have gone that far, though, but the today's episode really cleared a lot imho.
I'm not going to get into arguments but I'll just close my 2 cents of a post saying that if you aren't biased towards popular anime or this anime in particular you should definitely give it a shot knowing that it may take a while to grow on you, but if you still are bored by the end of the first cour then you can drop it there
Dec 20, 2021 7:44 PM
Dec 2021
Yes, it's "that" good but I suggest you don't let other people's opinion cloud your own judgment. I know alot of people do not appreciate this anime. It's the kind of story which many viewers will find confusing. Because it's more of 'show; not tell' narrative. You'll get used to it. Just pay attention to details and symbolism. Both anime and ln are good. The anime went above and beyond. But there are monologues exclusive only to ln.

And this is coming from me whose top 3 this fall 2021 is:
Ousama ranking
Mushoku tensei
(And 86 being #1)
Dec 22, 2021 4:03 AM

Apr 2020
Yea, I think this is one of the best Mecha anime. It has a ton of potential.
"Humans are like isolated islands, floating in the sea of fate.
Human encounters are like the collision of these lonely islands, and once they touch, there would be an effect. Sometimes, the islands would stick together, in the name of ‘interest’, ‘kinship’, ‘friendship’, ‘love’ and ‘hate’. But eventually, they would separate, walking towards the path of destruction.

This is the truth behind life."

-Fang Yuan
Dec 22, 2021 4:11 AM

Sep 2021
for people who find this confusing watch the first 2 minutes of the recap before the first episode. should help understand a bit more of what the fuck is going on

86 is highly subjective and either an 11 or 1 depending on the viewer
watch the first few episodes and form your own opinion instead of looking for them here
os172Dec 22, 2021 4:15 AM
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Dec 27, 2021 12:42 AM
Mar 2012
Decent, but a bit naive in some aspects. I feel like the demographic target is teenager.

Idk, imo most Gundam series is still better than this.
Dec 29, 2021 6:22 AM

Nov 2021
If you don't feel like someone ripped your heart out of your chest after finishing it, sit down and watch this anime again. Feel it until your bones tremble.

86 portrays the brutal nature of war, discrimination, oppression and oligarchy. It makes you sympathize and connect with the characters on a personal level. It’s a must watch for anyone who likes politics. This anime gave me major AOT vibes.

Hits forcefully the table* It’s a 10.
Dec 29, 2021 11:47 AM
Dec 2021
Yes. And a masterpiece
Jan 4, 2022 9:35 PM
Jul 2018
Requiemofthewind said:
Ok im gonna stop the bait,but It's seriously Really that good?reccomended?is it one of the best Mecha anime yet?or even better than Evangelion and Gurenn lagann?
Idk yet still planning to watch 86,it has really high score in mal both anime and light novel.

I'd honestly almost say it has nothing similar to your normal mech anime, as it's very much grounded in reality instead of going for high concept battles. the mechs are spiders because they're more traversible than real mechs in city environments. it's an interesting take on the genre, that's for sure, idk if it's the best tho
Jan 8, 2022 1:39 AM
Jun 2021
The only people who like this show are new watchers(baby weebs). 86 is the most bare bones mecha show ive seen in a while. Its so boring because the characters are insanely basic. The only good part is the actual animation for the mech fights and the overall mystery which isn’t even talked about it. It was hard to sit through sometimes. I don’t recommend this show, its painfully average.
Jan 9, 2022 11:04 PM

May 2016
Sagepool said:
The only people who like this show are new watchers(baby weebs). 86 is the most bare bones mecha show ive seen in a while. Its so boring because the characters are insanely basic. The only good part is the actual animation for the mech fights and the overall mystery which isn’t even talked about it. It was hard to sit through sometimes. I don’t recommend this show, its painfully average.
Been watching anime for over 2 decades and this anime is “that” good
Jan 12, 2022 4:35 AM
Mar 2020
A lot of people here are getting on my nerves like wtf do you even mean that the voice actor are not good who the who the f*** judges an anime on a voice acting of a specific character. The people who just can't find any reason to hold it bad for,so they just came up with some random excuses. The story is hard to understand you need to have a deep understanding of the story and connect all the plot points, when you get it all that's when you start liking the anime,there are always these small details like it was in aot. You can always watch some slice of life instead.
Jan 12, 2022 4:37 AM
Mar 2020
arcast said:
for people who find this confusing watch the first 2 minutes of the recap before the first episode. should help understand a bit more of what the fuck is going on

86 is highly subjective and either an 11 or 1 depending on the viewer
watch the first few episodes and form your own opinion instead of looking for them here
lol can't agree more.
Jan 12, 2022 6:18 AM

Sep 2021
Sagepool said:
the characters get way more development in the light novels btw. lenas character is pretty basic but shin and the others are goated. even literal war veterans praise the accuracy of portrayal of ptsd like character cant get much better than that

also god should i write a 38 page essay on why i hate people who call animes only for baby weebs because they dont like it. like bro its the clearest sign to tell your ego is larger than jupiter and that you do not deserve freedom of speech
hgwnejmp.ädqwsd
Jan 24, 2022 10:03 PM
Feb 2019
A lot of people complain about the story being too slow etc
And I kind of agree with most of them

But personally I don't like it from the military aspect
I get that this is a war drama anime but it feels more concentrated to the drama rather than the war itself. The logic behind using spider legs when they are a pain to repair, 57mm guns that fires from medium to close range (200-400m is pretty close, while 57mm guns can fire up to 17km). The fact that the writer seems to hate aircraft they wrote the story so that no aircraft can be used on the battlefield just because of elECtRomaGneTic JAmMinG. And the over all battle strategies are so simple and predictable even my friend who doesn't like mecha and war genre can guess most of their strategies.

World building? Have you guys saw the "world map" of 86? Its so damn simple it looks like the map from DOTA, with 4 countries on all four sides of the square.

And the plot armor ....oh my God the plot armor is as THICC as Lena's damn thighs. Like the part where the spearhead squad would always get their ass saved by Lena when facing the terrible odds.
Acheron_RolandJan 24, 2022 10:13 PM
Jan 24, 2022 11:43 PM

Aug 2020
-Mention- said:
it's either an 8 or a 6 for you, simple
Lmao so true. I gave it a 6 tho, we all have different tastes.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jan 26, 2022 6:41 PM
Jan 2022
If you like mecha and military stuffs, go watch it. For me I'll definitely pass, as it ended up mecha as main focus (I dislike mecha), boring dialogues, no explanation at all on first episode, nor the action scenes would helped me to like this anime. Second episode was intriguing a bit, but third episode was meh so I dropped right there.
Ardi8Jan 26, 2022 6:52 PM
Jul 18, 2023 7:58 PM
Jun 2023
Nirinbo said:

real there’s nothing memorable about the characters and the female mc is so naive it’s not even funny and it’s ironic because I don’t even bash characters in this form going surmising their horrbile traits but just hearing her say you knew all along that you weren’t going to be set free and yet still keep on fighting yes no dubshit Sherlock even the alba kids know she seen how everyone in her country viewed 86 and was surprised like nah that shit wack this is the perfect example of people over hyping an anime thee rating on this is higher than eminence in shadow this shit is ridiculous
Jul 20, 2023 1:24 AM
Jun 2020
Whyyouask said:
Nirinbo said:

real there’s nothing memorable about the characters and the female mc is so naive it’s not even funny and it’s ironic because I don’t even bash characters in this form going surmising their horrbile traits but just hearing her say you knew all along that you weren’t going to be set free and yet still keep on fighting yes no dubshit Sherlock even the alba kids know she seen how everyone in her country viewed 86 and was surprised like nah that shit wack this is the perfect example of people over hyping an anime thee rating on this is higher than eminence in shadow this shit is ridiculous
because eminence in a shadow is cringe AF...
Jul 22, 2023 10:13 PM
Jun 2023
addie1998 said:
Whyyouask said:
it’s obvious this is bait and satire 86 female mc is excruciating to watch eminence in shadow consistent of gag humor purposely still doesn’t pertain to the plot tho stop being ignorant
Jul 22, 2023 10:19 PM
Jun 2023
addie1998 said:
Whyyouask said:
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:
it’s obvious this is bait and satire 86 female mc is excruciating to watch eminence in shadow consistent of gag humor purposely still doesn’t pertain to the plot tho stop being ignorant
the mc is a naive princess everything she says or does is unwatchable 86 is also heavily political like bro this shit is a six
Jul 22, 2023 10:45 PM
Jun 2020
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:
Whyyouask said:
the mc is a naive princess everything she says or does is unwatchable 86 is also heavily political like bro this shit is a six
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:
nah i skip and fast forward a couple of episodes of eminence because im dying of cringe and 86 is just a lot of better for me imo...
Jul 22, 2023 10:58 PM
Jun 2023
addie1998 said:
Whyyouask said:
Whyyouask said:
nah i skip and fast forward a couple of episodes of eminence because im dying of cringe and 86 is just a lot of better for me imo...
you just have horrible taste as to how you were able to watch 86 with a navie oblivious mc is baffling it’s little development in her character like 86 is actual mid your just using selective prejudice I was watching ep 8 part one hearing her talk to the male mc trying to convice him why do you still fight why don’t you just leave and him saying and go where bro that’s the DEFINITION of horrible writing and it’s not even up for debate at this point you just have horrible taste and your comment makes it clear regardless if an tv anime what’re is trash I’m not gonna skip to the good part it’s shows your impatient and immature if wouldn’t be surprised if you’re under 18 only a child would “Skip to the good part” meanwhile everything about eminence is good you’re literal defending a Mecca anime Meccas are the worst genre in history bro the idea revolving around mecca has been around for like 50 years and you still get chills when people get inside robots grow tf up literal
Jul 22, 2023 11:44 PM
Jun 2020
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:
you just have horrible taste as to how you were able to watch 86 with a navie oblivious mc is baffling it’s little development in her character like 86 is actual mid your just using selective prejudice I was watching ep 8 part one hearing her talk to the male mc trying to convice him why do you still fight why don’t you just leave and him saying and go where bro that’s the DEFINITION of horrible writing and it’s not even up for debate at this point you just have horrible taste and your comment makes it clear regardless if an tv anime what’re is trash I’m not gonna skip to the good part it’s shows your impatient and immature if wouldn’t be surprised if you’re under 18 only a child would “Skip to the good part” meanwhile everything about eminence is good you’re literal defending a Mecca anime Meccas are the worst genre in history bro the idea revolving around mecca has been around for like 50 years and you still get chills when people get inside robots grow tf up literal
the popular line "you just have a horrible taste bro" lmao, please look at my list before saying any of this shxt

Edit: you just love trash isekai "the real worst genre"
Jul 23, 2023 4:27 AM
Jun 2023
addie1998 said:
Whyyouask said:
the popular line "you just have a horrible taste bro" lmao, please look at my list before saying any of this shxt

your synopsis is stemmed from nonsensical prejudice against iseaki iseaki isn’t some sub narrow genre some writers are just extremely poor doesn’t make the entirety of the genre trash in it’s self for ex jobless reincarnation time I got reincarnated rishing shield hero?!?! Smh now I’m getting a clear picture of what’s goning on you dislike iseakis in general so ofc you’d shot on eminence you’re devoutly bias so your opinion on Iseakis hold no merit I also like how you pick and choose what’s good and bad based on your preferences if something in eminence was bad I’d say it the only thing that’s not bad just should of been done different and it’s mainly because since people dislike the harem aspect for no reason other than plain discriminatory it forced them to make an anime where the guy isn’t entertaining the harem and that’s an aspect that could of went went very well you see no bias in my statement you can’t even admit that yes the female mc is uninteresting to hear and overtly naive like her naivety is bad horrible it makes it unwatchable the first mistake having a girl mc that shit ass but her having a horrible personality using her own anger to randomly attack her friends no wonder the doctor girl said I hate you too her this girls a bad character your just too blind to see the faults my list better than yours by the way you have a bunch of mid oshi no ko is good but the genre it’s in is mid so mid hell paradise premise of the plot is a death game theme seen better you gotta update that list my list far exceededs yours even though I’m ngl some I rated abnormally high only because it was harem needed to support the genre but yeah still overall better
Jul 23, 2023 3:15 PM
Jun 2020
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:

your synopsis is stemmed from nonsensical prejudice against iseaki iseaki isn’t some sub narrow genre some writers are just extremely poor doesn’t make the entirety of the genre trash in it’s self for ex jobless reincarnation time I got reincarnated rishing shield hero?!?! Smh now I’m getting a clear picture of what’s goning on you dislike iseakis in general so ofc you’d shot on eminence you’re devoutly bias so your opinion on Iseakis hold no merit I also like how you pick and choose what’s good and bad based on your preferences if something in eminence was bad I’d say it the only thing that’s not bad just should of been done different and it’s mainly because since people dislike the harem aspect for no reason other than plain discriminatory it forced them to make an anime where the guy isn’t entertaining the harem and that’s an aspect that could of went went very well you see no bias in my statement you can’t even admit that yes the female mc is uninteresting to hear and overtly naive like her naivety is bad horrible it makes it unwatchable the first mistake having a girl mc that shit ass but her having a horrible personality using her own anger to randomly attack her friends no wonder the doctor girl said I hate you too her this girls a bad character your just too blind to see the faults my list better than yours by the way you have a bunch of mid oshi no ko is good but the genre it’s in is mid so mid hell paradise premise of the plot is a death game theme seen better you gotta update that list my list far exceededs yours even though I’m ngl some I rated abnormally high only because it was harem needed to support the genre but yeah still overall better
so in the end you just butt hurt that i don't like eminence accusing me that i just don't like isekai lmao and your writing long ass essays like an average mal user, i made you look at my list so you can see that i like a couple of isekai shows but you didn't look at it you dumb ass
Jul 23, 2023 3:21 PM

Apr 2020
I always felt like the worldbuilding was pretty weak, all in all.
The war-drama is pretty standart and often too one-dimensional, to pull me in. 

The reason it's still working for me is that I get mildly sad and upset whenever something terrible is happening to one of the 86. Cute, little drama - but not much more, for me.
Aug 8, 2023 2:22 PM

Aug 2020
Yes it's a really good series. A 2nd season is more than welcome .

Aug 20, 2023 2:12 PM
Aug 2023
Whyyouask said:
addie1998 said:
Cringe teenager accusing people of horrible taste and being "under 18" while throwing a tantrum like a cringy 13-year-old when someone says they don't like eminence in shadow.
You know what's funny? You are the definition of having trash taste lol. There's nothing wrong with having trash taste though, I myself like eminence in shadow as well as many trash isekais but I am self-aware that I like trash anime. 
Also 86 is not a mecha anime, the mechs here are no different than regular tanks and IFVs. They are just tools that the characters use to fight, the story wouldn't change one bit if you replace all the mechs with regular tanks. There's no story revolving the mechs. If 86 is a mecha anime then Girls und Panzer is also a mecha anime. 
Aug 20, 2023 2:43 PM
Jun 2023
MrJ588 said:
Whyyouask said:
Cringe teenager accusing people of horrible taste and being "under 18" while throwing a tantrum like a cringy 13-year-old when someone says they don't like eminence in shadow.
You know what's funny? You are the definition of having trash taste lol. There's nothing wrong with having trash taste though, I myself like eminence in shadow as well as many trash isekais but I am self-aware that I like trash anime. 
Also 86 is not a mecha anime, the mechs here are no different than regular tanks and IFVs. They are just tools that the characters use to fight, the story wouldn't change one bit if you replace all the mechs with regular tanks. There's no story revolving the mechs. If 86 is a mecha anime then Girls und Panzer is also a mecha anime. 
”not a Mecca anime” characters entering robots to fight no still not a mecca 🤬🤬 sounds like cope to me🤭let me guess gurren not a Mecca either LMFAOOOOOO
Aug 20, 2023 8:56 PM
Aug 2023
Whyyouask said:
MrJ588 said:
”not a Mecca anime” characters entering robots to fight no still not a mecca 🤬🤬 sounds like cope to me🤭let me guess gurren not a Mecca either LMFAOOOOOO
Firstly, let's start with some nitpicking. It is not a "robot". Robots are defined as machines that are capable performing tasks automatically. So while the legions are robots, the mechs that the characters use are not. They are in fact no different than cars, or tanks, or IFVs in the real world, they are just vehicles that are controlled by the driver. But well that is nitpicking, but still gotta make that clear. Secondly, there is virtually no difference between the mech in 86 and a tank. Or if you want to be nitpicky, the Juggernaut is basically a mobile gun system, similar to the Stryker M1128 MGS, and the Vánagandr is similar to a M1 Abrams tank. Funnily enough, the design of M4A3 Vánagandr is actually based on the M4A3 Shermans, a real life tank from World War 2. Thirdly, is Star Wars a mecha because imperial troopers enter AT-AT to fight? lol. Is Girls und Panzer a mecha anime because the girls enter tanks to "fight"? Entering a vehicle to fight doesn't mean it is a mecha anime. In a real mecha anime, the mech is the center of the story or at least a big narrative part of it, however, there is no narrative around the mechs in 86, and nothing would have changed if you replaced the mechs with regular tanks. Like if you replace all the mechs in 86 with a bunch of M1 Abrams the story will still be virtually the same, the only adjustment you have to make is giving the M1 Abrams a bunch of legs so they can travel in all terrain. Can you replace the mechs in Gurren with regular tanks? I don't think so, you will have to rewrite the story completely.  

To elaborate more on that, the mechs in 86 are basically spider-like tanks that are used quite often in mainstream scifi, it is just a scifi trope of giving legs to tanks to boost mobility. There are so many examples of similar vehicles in mainstream scifis: Soviet Reapers in Red Alert 3 and AT-AT in Star Wars, just to name a few. Is Star Wars a mecha movie? I don't think so. If you replaced the mechs in 86 with just tanks, nothing would change. The reason is that the mechs in 86 have their designs based on tanks and IFVs in real life, apart from the legs, and also use the same doctrine as tanks and IFVs in real life. In the Giad military for example, the mechs either stay at range to provide fire support for infantry or lead infantry to capitalize on breakthroughs. You can see that in the battle scenes of Giad military. Classic tanks and IFVs doctrine. Get down to the low-level unit tactic, in the Spearhead squadron, they also use the basic fire and maneuver tactic (or fire and movement) that tanks and IFVs use irl: a fire team provides fire support from range, another fire team makes rapid movement, often to flank the enemy. Of course they can do more fancy stuffs than regular mechs from Giad military, like using the grapple to get on top of buildings to provide better fire support. But in any case, both low-level unit tactic and the main doctrine are close enough to real life so that they are no different than regular tanks and IFVs. Shin is the only crackhead that sprints towards the enemy formation and kill them with blades because he has the protagonist buff. So if 86 is a mecha anime, then Girls und Panzer is also a mecha anime. 

Also I like how you basically admit that you have trash taste. That's a big progress for you, I like it.
MrJ588Aug 21, 2023 12:31 AM
Aug 21, 2023 6:07 PM
Jun 2023
MrJ588 said:
Whyyouask said:
Firstly, let's start with some nitpicking. It is not a "robot". Robots are defined as machines that are capable performing tasks automatically. So while the legions are robots, the mechs that the characters use are not. They are in fact no different than cars, or tanks, or IFVs in the real world, they are just vehicles that are controlled by the driver. But well that is nitpicking, but still gotta make that clear. Secondly, there is virtually no difference between the mech in 86 and a tank. Or if you want to be nitpicky, the Juggernaut is basically a mobile gun system, similar to the Stryker M1128 MGS, and the Vánagandr is similar to a M1 Abrams tank. Funnily enough, the design of M4A3 Vánagandr is actually based on the M4A3 Shermans, a real life tank from World War 2. Thirdly, is Star Wars a mecha because imperial troopers enter AT-AT to fight? lol. Is Girls und Panzer a mecha anime because the girls enter tanks to "fight"? Entering a vehicle to fight doesn't mean it is a mecha anime. In a real mecha anime, the mech is the center of the story or at least a big narrative part of it, however, there is no narrative around the mechs in 86, and nothing would have changed if you replaced the mechs with regular tanks. Like if you replace all the mechs in 86 with a bunch of M1 Abrams the story will still be virtually the same, the only adjustment you have to make is giving the M1 Abrams a bunch of legs so they can travel in all terrain. Can you replace the mechs in Gurren with regular tanks? I don't think so, you will have to rewrite the story completely.  

To elaborate more on that, the mechs in 86 are basically spider-like tanks that are used quite often in mainstream scifi, it is just a scifi trope of giving legs to tanks to boost mobility. There are so many examples of similar vehicles in mainstream scifis: Soviet Reapers in Red Alert 3 and AT-AT in Star Wars, just to name a few. Is Star Wars a mecha movie? I don't think so. If you replaced the mechs in 86 with just tanks, nothing would change. The reason is that the mechs in 86 have their designs based on tanks and IFVs in real life, apart from the legs, and also use the same doctrine as tanks and IFVs in real life. In the Giad military for example, the mechs either stay at range to provide fire support for infantry or lead infantry to capitalize on breakthroughs. You can see that in the battle scenes of Giad military. Classic tanks and IFVs doctrine. Get down to the low-level unit tactic, in the Spearhead squadron, they also use the basic fire and maneuver tactic (or fire and movement) that tanks and IFVs use irl: a fire team provides fire support from range, another fire team makes rapid movement, often to flank the enemy. Of course they can do more fancy stuffs than regular mechs from Giad military, like using the grapple to get on top of buildings to provide better fire support. But in any case, both low-level unit tactic and the main doctrine are close enough to real life so that they are no different than regular tanks and IFVs. Shin is the only crackhead that sprints towards the enemy formation and kill them with blades because he has the protagonist buff. So if 86 is a mecha anime, then Girls und Panzer is also a mecha anime. 

Also I like how you basically admit that you have trash taste. That's a big progress for you, I like it.
I bet you thought your given response was well thought and clever, But here’s my carvet that could dismantle you in one fell swoop. If 86 had real life tanks it would be considered a military. Even though it is a military anime that isn’t the subject of the matter, To out right not consider 86 a Mecca anime is intellectually honest. According to Wikipedia it states, “mechs are giant robots or machines controlled by people”. It’s quite frankly in the wiki🗿 stop using false other derivatives to justify your baseless point. I’ve read your entire statement and thou I appreciated such commitment to such, it’s obvious you’re just activating a defense mechanism, because regardless of the concept surrounding the anime even tho concept still wack tee hee, still doesn’t exclaim that said anime is trash. How can you not grasp mc being too navie having unrealistic expectations and being tedious it’s an unwatchable dropped anime, and the qualities surrounding such doesn’t redeem it in the slightest.
Aug 25, 2023 12:29 AM
Aug 2023
Whyyouask said:
I bet you thought your given response was well thought and clever, But here’s my carvet that could dismantle you in one fell swoop. If 86 had real life tanks it would be considered a military. Even though it is a military anime that isn’t the subject of the matter, To out right not consider 86 a Mecca anime is intellectually honest. According to Wikipedia it states, “mechs are giant robots or machines controlled by people”. It’s quite frankly in the wiki🗿 stop using false other derivatives to justify your baseless point. I’ve read your entire statement and thou I appreciated such commitment to such, it’s obvious you’re just activating a defense mechanism, because regardless of the concept surrounding the anime even tho concept still wack tee hee, still doesn’t exclaim that said anime is trash. How can you not grasp mc being too navie having unrealistic expectations and being tedious it’s an unwatchable dropped anime, and the qualities surrounding such doesn’t redeem it in the slightest.
Firstly, 86 does not have “real life tanks”, it has “scifi tanks/armored vehicles” similar to AT-AT from Star Wars and so many different SCIFI tanks and armored vehicles from mainstream media. “Tanks with legs” is a scifi concept, it is not a “real life” technology. Secondly, 86 is as “military” as it can get, on the same level as GATE and Legends of Galactic Heroes, it features military operations, actual military doctrines, strategies and low level unit tactics, and even logistics. In addition to that, main characters are all soldiers. What more do you need? So in fact you did not have any caveat that could dismantle my arguments, in fact you only said some random stuffs which were entirely irrelevant to the point and could be easily be proven to be just wrong. I know you are using an argument tactic to change the subjects when you can’t make any counter-argument, but you are just so wonderfully wrong about everything so your tactic doesn’t even work lol.
With your quote, you basically just proved that 86 rarely have any mech at all. Your words, not mine. “mechs are giant robots or machines controlled by people”, emphasis on giant. “Mechs” in 86 are about the size of real life tanks, therefore they are not giant. They also weigh the same too, Juggernaut’s weight is similar to MGS’s weight and Vánagandr’s weight is similar to MBT’s weight. The only “mech” in the series with your description then would be the final boss, that’s about it lol. And in addition to that, if you plan to argue “no no the giant part doesn’t matter”, then Girls und Panzer have mechs because the tanks are “machines controlled by people”. Then again, to be a proper mecha anime, you need the mechs to be a part of your narrative, if the mechs are just tools and do not make any difference if you replace them with real life tanks like in 86, it is not a real mecha anime, but a military anime/war anime. Plus the mechs in 86's mech designs are based on real life tanks and armored vehicles, for example, one is based on the Shermans and named after the Shermans too, they are not humanoid fighting machines. 
“it’s obvious you’re just activating a defense mechanism” it is actually the other way around, I make actual arguments with logics and facts behind my points, you have made zero proper counter-argument against my points, you are literally just arguing for the sake of arguing. I have never said anything about the quality of 86 so I don’t care if you want to say that it is trash. I said 86 is not an mecha anime so I proved you wrong. But I know exactly why you think it is trash. You are the type that only enjoys anime with self-insert power fantasy, anything that does not feature that kind of trope is boring for you. Now I get it that self-insert overpowered protagonists can be fun, I enjoy them too, but I am not stupid enough to go around accusing people of having trash tastes while rating obvious teenager power fantasy like Redo of Healer and Black Cover 10/10 lol.
MrJ588Aug 25, 2023 12:40 AM
Aug 27, 2023 1:41 AM
Jun 2023
MrJ588 said:
Whyyouask said:
Firstly, 86 does not have “real life tanks”, it has “scifi tanks/armored vehicles” similar to AT-AT from Star Wars and so many different SCIFI tanks and armored vehicles from mainstream media. “Tanks with legs” is a scifi concept, it is not a “real life” technology. Secondly, 86 is as “military” as it can get, on the same level as GATE and Legends of Galactic Heroes, it features military operations, actual military doctrines, strategies and low level unit tactics, and even logistics. In addition to that, main characters are all soldiers. What more do you need? So in fact you did not have any caveat that could dismantle my arguments, in fact you only said some random stuffs which were entirely irrelevant to the point and could be easily be proven to be just wrong. I know you are using an argument tactic to change the subjects when you can’t make any counter-argument, but you are just so wonderfully wrong about everything so your tactic doesn’t even work lol.
With your quote, you basically just proved that 86 rarely have any mech at all. Your words, not mine. “mechs are giant robots or machines controlled by people”, emphasis on giant. “Mechs” in 86 are about the size of real life tanks, therefore they are not giant. They also weigh the same too, Juggernaut’s weight is similar to MGS’s weight and Vánagandr’s weight is similar to MBT’s weight. The only “mech” in the series with your description then would be the final boss, that’s about it lol. And in addition to that, if you plan to argue “no no the giant part doesn’t matter”, then Girls und Panzer have mechs because the tanks are “machines controlled by people”. Then again, to be a proper mecha anime, you need the mechs to be a part of your narrative, if the mechs are just tools and do not make any difference if you replace them with real life tanks like in 86, it is not a real mecha anime, but a military anime/war anime. Plus the mechs in 86's mech designs are based on real life tanks and armored vehicles, for example, one is based on the Shermans and named after the Shermans too, they are not humanoid fighting machines. 
“it’s obvious you’re just activating a defense mechanism” it is actually the other way around, I make actual arguments with logics and facts behind my points, you have made zero proper counter-argument against my points, you are literally just arguing for the sake of arguing. I have never said anything about the quality of 86 so I don’t care if you want to say that it is trash. I said 86 is not an mecha anime so I proved you wrong. But I know exactly why you think it is trash. You are the type that only enjoys anime with self-insert power fantasy, anything that does not feature that kind of trope is boring for you. Now I get it that self-insert overpowered protagonists can be fun, I enjoy them too, but I am not stupid enough to go around accusing people of having trash tastes while rating obvious teenager power fantasy like Redo of Healer and Black Cover 10/10 lol.
giant robots or machines” are not you not reading. Or machines like this isn’t real nice try on dissing redo of healer tho lol sounds like someone trying perpetuate their morality onto others, the only “logic” your referencing on about is the specs of actual Star Trek machines and shit which I’m not versed. Your argument is 90% robot 10 percent view, it’s ironic bec in MECCAS the machines are doing 90% of the fighting and the rest is someone piloting it😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » 86 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 8, 2021

242 by ILLARX »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » 86 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 5, 2021

458 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 16, 8:40 AM

Poll: » 86 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 10, 2021

380 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 14, 10:42 PM

Poll: » 86 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2021

430 by grizmuth »»
Apr 5, 5:57 PM

» 86 LN starts its Final Arc with the next Light Novel volume 14.

darksideee - Jan 11

24 by SSRSyt »»
Apr 3, 10:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.