Forum Settings
Forums

Is it true that after watching too many anime, you no longer enjoy this medium that much?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 18, 2021 4:06 AM

Mar 2015
No, not necessarily. It really depends on who you are and what you enjoy. For me, no. Even after 8 years and 900+ anime, I still enjoy anime. I still have 100s of anime I feel I could enjoy. But that's because I'm into everything. If you have specific tastes and/or heavily dislike a portion of genres/themes, then you might find yourself not enjoying anime anymore at some point.
woah there
Nov 18, 2021 4:08 PM
Great Love

Mar 2019
Anything that makes you happy will make you less happy overtime

Nov 18, 2021 6:04 PM

Jul 2020
I used to watch anime so much back in 2020, finishing around 20 shows every month. Eventually, you start to see the generic patterns in each show and it starts to get boring. Now I barely get past a show each month. I have better things to do, anyways.
Nov 18, 2021 9:46 PM

May 2019
It definitely doesn't have the same magic, that's why I've been reading a lot of manga as of late. You can't find enjoyment in mediocrity anymore, and to be fair there's a lot of mediocre anime, especially watching seasonals.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the medium, my patience has just been lowered.
yo
Nov 18, 2021 10:19 PM

Jul 2015
it depends, sometimes you get a burnout and get sick for watching too many anime... i try to go easy and watch 2~4 episodes a day, but when i really like something, i watch more episodes
Nov 19, 2021 1:08 AM

Aug 2014
am sad lots of good sources r getting crappy halfassed adaptations
its like there's at most probably only 1 or 2 shows i'd truly be looking forward to every year .. and for some reason there ends up more than 2.. its probably gonna fall into the ''crappy halfassed adaptations'' category for me
the rest r just so so, average entertainment

so yes
also anime is not the only medium i watch or read. so my list is quite spread out,
anime alone only, is just not enough to satisfy or appease my entertainment needs and values

also on a side note i don't just watch something for the sake of watching it anymore... like i remember a time when i used to watch anime cuz its... Anime.and i liked anime right?.. and now? i just see it as another medium
i have tastes of course yes. but even my taste have standards and i have better things to do than to rack up a fancy completed list of whatever am watching or reading
TheDiabolicEsperNov 19, 2021 1:32 AM

Nov 19, 2021 1:48 AM
Feb 2014
Yes absolutely true. I myself have been taking a break from watching anime for this reason. If you feel bored while watching anime, just take a break for a month or two abd then come back.
Nov 19, 2021 1:54 AM
Jul 2016
Kind of. It mostly has to do with the fact that most of the new stuff is garbage so there is nothing to enjoy. If there were good anime coming out there would be no probem, but most of everything that comes out is just shit to be consumed by the masses.
Nov 19, 2021 2:06 AM
Jul 2018
To be exact, as you watch more you learn more and you're not gonna stay like 14 forever so things are gonna change. At some point you'll run out of shows that appeal to you and you'll realize that the industry doesn't consistently produce quality shows. If you have at least a decent taste you'll be able to filter the goods ones from the bad ones and which shows should you avoid.

At the end of the day, it still depends on how good the show that you're currently into, the biggest factor here is running out on things to watch.
Nov 19, 2021 2:34 AM

Jan 2020
I'd say that I've just become a bit more picky. Though, I do hope that I don't get tired of anime as a whole.
Also, anime burnout sucks.
Nov 19, 2021 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
Yes indeed, I was experiencing it a lot, then I just realized that it does not matter how much anime I watch, I should only watch anime when I enjoy it, and so my pacing went horribly down but I found what i really wanted, a taste. My taste in anime is mostly old stuff, not bound to any genres but 2000s and 90s anime
(obviously that does not mean I don't like new stuff)

Being an anime fan you will eventually go through a burnout, just remember not to feel bad about it, if you are not into anime anymore then just stop, give yourself more time, try to find what your taste it, eventually you will be into it once again

Nov 19, 2021 5:26 AM

Aug 2013
No, it's all about a quality of medium anime. There is a bunch of unpretentious anime which are good to watch between some serious series but there are also many of examples of anime which shouldn't exist in the first place due its lackness of adequate direction, plot or predictability and a genre copypasta.
Nov 19, 2021 5:42 AM

Dec 2020
Well, yeah, it's true for me at the very least. Can't count how many times I got burned out from watching anime.

I wasted all my time in rewatching to the point of my rewatch total is higher than my overall anime total lmao
Nov 19, 2021 10:21 AM

Oct 2017
Waves02 said:
HaiYai_Forces said:
To the people who have been in this medium for years or even decades and have watched nearly every kind of anime. This is absolutely true that not every anime is good. Every anime which sounds "cool" to new viewer may sound like "just an another anime" to you. Because you have seen many anime which follows the same basic formula and you have gained a vast knowledge of this medium. You can easily identify cliches. So is it true that watching too many anime has affected your enjoyment? Also please share how much your view on this medium has changed over the years.

I used to have a no-drop rule until this year. Darling in the FranXX was what changed that. And lots of other titles followed. It's not a big deal, but sometimes you will come across a lot of boring, shitty series that didn't deserve to exist. In the past I would try to score these accordingly after I finished them but time is short and valuable so now I only drop them after max 3 episodes. If it's not good in the beginning, it will never be so.

Also, source: I've been watching anime on and off since 2006 or so, though the first title was seen pre-2004. I've also deleted shitty titles from my list so it was more like over 700, which is most definitely not much. I've seen plenty of people with over 1k titles and even 2k+ and more, but while I don't plan to quit anime for good any time soon, I feel old and many series are now unappealing, including those I planned to watch some years back. /shrugs Things change.

I also took a break from anime from 2014 to last year in December. I don't know why but at some point my enjoyment plummeted and I couldn't be bothered to finish even the first Naruto series. But *this* was what brought me back last year, along with Jujutsu Kaisen. Though to be fair, I've seen a few series during those years but not nearly enough as daily watching of at least 10 episodes like I did before. Priorities change too, I became super busy with other stuff.

At first I didn't know much about anime because there was no Internet available for me to look up more information. In 2008 I got my first account on MAL (the previous one I had here, but then changed in 2013, only to quit MAL altogether until last year lol) and I watched most of what is in my list right now up until 2012-2013.

I'd say over the years I found out that most anime is truly trash. You can find some good titles and yes, I definitely have to go back on my scores on my lists and score most things lower, but you notice tropes, how the story might be nice but everything else is boring, or the other way around. Why'd I drop DITF? It's got a shitty story and nothing could save that pile of flaming shit, not even good art and animation. And I ended up dropping Shingeki no Kyojin last month after all since the team who made this series is batshit insane. Imagine that they attempted to recreate the armbands the characters were wearing in the show? A show that is heavily steeped in Nazi propaganda. Struggling to watch SNK until the middle of first series wasn't a good idea at all. I lost time on that bs and I should have quit it after first episode, considering the shock factor it has and the amount of pointless violence. Given that the anime community considers this to be the ~best anime ever~, I do think anime fans have shit taste in general and you'll be hard-pressed to find someone who has common sense.

Thinking AOT is Nazi propaganda pretty much destroys any credibility of your opinion. At worst Isayama has excused Japanese imperialism (like a lot of Japanese creators) but the series is pretty adamantly very anti Nazi and militarism in regards to the actual story. The whole theme is dehumanization isn't good guys while literally using Jewish ghettos and persecution to talk about the evils of racism. If that is Nazi propaganda it has to be the worst bits of Nazi propaganda in existence.

AOT has plenty of flaws but it is objectively not fascist propaganda for all the hate towards the anime community it's probably a good thing they don't share your opinions if that flew over your head. If you want to act like the community sucks at picking shows and analysis at least do better there yourself. Plus the AOT love is pretty dead now it's either biggest the disappointment ever or it's still good guys.
BilboBaggins365Nov 19, 2021 10:34 AM
Nov 19, 2021 10:27 AM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
You will natural be drawn to other things over your life, but I still love Japanese animation. This led me to try different genres and expand into a love for world animation.
Nov 19, 2021 11:00 AM

Oct 2017
Waves02 said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

Thinking AOT is Nazi propaganda pretty much destroys any credibility of your opinion. At worst Isayama has excused Japanese imperialism (like a lot of Japanese creators) but the series is pretty adamantly very anti Nazi and militarism in regards to the actual story. The whole theme is dehumanization isn't good guys while literally using Jewish ghettos and persecution to talk about the evils of racism. If that is Nazi propaganda it has to be the worst bits of Nazi propaganda in existence.

AOT has plenty of flaws but it is objectively not fascist propaganda for all the hate towards the anime community it's probably a good thing they don't share your opinions if that flew over your head. If you want to act like the community sucks at picking shows and analysis at least do better there yourself. Plus the AOT love is pretty dead now it's either biggest the disappointment ever or it's still good guys.

The thing is, I don't care. Couldn't be bothered to continue watching that crap to even finish the meagre 25 or smth episodes of the first series, so I dropped it. Lots of reviews on SNK says it's trash, you simply don't want to admit your fave sucks.

Yes the manga I gave a 6 to and the series I think is incredibly flawed is my fave. Objectively you are incorrect whether you think it sucks or not is irrelevant this isn't an opinion on the quality of the writing it's about the works intentions. It's pretty clear even in S1 when Eren can't understand how the monsters he dehumanized are the people he cared about or how the institution he has pride and patriotism in is corrupt. Again if that is fascist or nazi propaganda it fails horrifically. You are just bad at analyzing stuff but for some reason have a superiority complex over the anime community.
Nov 19, 2021 11:10 PM

Mar 2017
HaiYai_Forces said:
To the people who have been in this medium for years or even decades and have watched nearly every kind of anime. This is absolutely true that not every anime is good. Every anime which sounds "cool" to new viewer may sound like "just an another anime" to you. Because you have seen many anime which follows the same basic formula and you have gained a vast knowledge of this medium. You can easily identify cliches. So is it true that watching too many anime has affected your enjoyment? Also please share how much your view on this medium has changed over the years.

I am still very much in-love with the medium of animation. It's just that I branched out of just focusing on Japanese animation because a lot of it are not for me. Well, I guess even before getting access to all the anime via finally having an internet connection when i got in college, I already did branched out.
You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Nov 19, 2021 11:24 PM

Jun 2010
It is not so much of anime watching over a long period of time, it is more like interest and priority change. When I was a kid, I really enjoyed and felt excited when watching shows like Doraemon, Pokemon, Digimon, etc that were aired on TV. But when I have grown older, I do not feel as much excitement as I used to be before though I still like those series. My interest in different genre has also changed. As life continues, there are more responsibilities that we need to prioritise commitment. So even if I need to skip some weeks or months without anime is still fine.

Generally anime is still as interesting as I have felt before. The only difference is the choice of anime to watch, like the type of genre to pick.
Nov 20, 2021 9:51 AM

Oct 2017
Waves02 said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

Yes the manga I gave a 6 to and the series I think is incredibly flawed is my fave. Objectively you are incorrect whether you think it sucks or not is irrelevant this isn't an opinion on the quality of the writing it's about the works intentions. It's pretty clear even in S1 when Eren can't understand how the monsters he dehumanized are the people he cared about or how the institution he has pride and patriotism in is corrupt. Again if that is fascist or nazi propaganda it fails horrifically. You are just bad at analyzing stuff but for some reason have a superiority complex over the anime community.

It's not me dude lol
I read reviews on SNK and know for a fact it's trash so since those reviews were made by other people in the anime community, not all anime fans have awful taste.

Okay IDC because I also feel SNK is a very flawed series. Again you are just objectively wrong on the assertion it is nazi propaganda because the entire main theme of the story undermines pretty much any stance a fascist or nazi would hold. IDC about you hating the series go off on it for all I care but objectively the statement you made about the series is incorrect and any reviewer who made that statement would be so yeah. That is it kay.
Nov 20, 2021 10:52 AM

Apr 2020
I've been watching anime since 2003 with InuYasha, Trigun and many others. I also took like a five year break back in 2015, it's true you can get burnt out. Mainly I read manga nowadays and I'll watch the anime if I really enjoyed it
“You flounder through life, struggling desperately so you won't drown, even though you would float if you'd just relax.”
Nov 20, 2021 7:04 PM

Jul 2017
It just needs more quality shows for me, whether the concepts are cliche or not are secondary if the actual shows are better and more distinctive to where they are currently. Seasonals are really a quantity over quality thing currently where only a couple shows among many show real potential of being really good, and there have been seasons where not even a single show impressed me that much. Shows need to ooze more life to them and gather some amount of aspiration to be a 'great' series that stand out, which isn't the case for many shows airing each year recently.
Nov 20, 2021 9:47 PM

Mar 2016
No I still do. I'm just more cynical and critical nowadays to a fault. It takes a very remarkable series nowadays, though, to get me really impressed beyond just mere enjoyment.
Nov 20, 2021 10:17 PM
Jul 2018
I used to watch massive batches of anime back in my college days. It had gotten to a point where I had just gotten burnt out on it.

Most anime is objectively garbage, but that goes for all mediums. Video games, movies, cartoons, 90% of them I'd wager are complete and utter tosh and anime is no exception to the rule. Heck, I used to think Korean cinema was the bomb when I was first introduced to it and kept announcing to my friends that it was better than Hollywood. But after watching over 200 Korean films with my mates, I realized that most of them are just manufactured garbage with plots that feel like they were written by an Ai. Still prefer them to American films obviously.

I do still watch anime, but very rarely. If I do its usually because a friend is interested in it, or its something I really want to check out. It's because of this that I don't understand why people actively try to keep up with every seasonal show. Just seek out the good stuff or anything that interests you, don't force yourself to watch the latest by the numbers moe anime just for completion's sake.
Nov 20, 2021 10:20 PM

Dec 2016
I've been watching anime since the 1980's. I know weird right? And for me I don't think it will ever get boring. There's always some aspect that will always keep drawing me in. It might be the unique comedy, or a fantastic Sci-Fi concept that's far too grand for a movie to attempt.

What I find difficult is when there are too many episodes of a show. No matter how much I like a show by the time I get to episode 50. It feels like I just want the show to finally be over with. Every episode starts feeling like a chore to me.
Nov 20, 2021 10:26 PM
Apr 2020
Depends, I sometimes take break from anime switching to reading manga/manhwa/manhua, LN, VN but i still do enjoy anime 634 completed and still adding more
Nov 20, 2021 10:33 PM

Nov 2018
I still love anime, but after years of watching the medium, you tend to find other things to do, like work, hobbies, uni, and that takes up a lot of time that you'd usually spend on watching anime.

I work full-time, I've started writing my own LN, I'm usually quite busy nowadays. But I know I have a shitload of anime left to watch, and there's always a bunch that come out each season, so I don't need to worry about not enjoying anime.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Nov 20, 2021 10:42 PM

Jul 2012
Depends on your motivations for enjoying it but generally no. If a person is going to stick with a medium for years or decades the implication is that there is some consistent set of factors that continues to draw them in and provide enjoyment.

People who were only starting because they viewed it as a hot new trend or something similar will obviously have that dissipate as they get deeper into the medium because they don't take the time to identify their own taste or what they like about the medium.

Generally I don't care if something is "cliche" or has been done before if it provided me entertainment or joy before then seeing that again will continue to provide me enjoyment. The only form of burnout I experienced was from trying to balance too many shows because 70 episodes a week got hard to manage timewise with other responsibilities. But even with the amount I've watched the well of shows I have available is still deep and broad and I still enjoy new releases and continue to watch things like Toonami weekly. So it's not like I'll ever have a shortage of entertainment options even if I can't dedicate as much time as I want.
Nov 21, 2021 2:05 AM

Apr 2012
In a way, yes. The more you watch anime, the more you begin to understand both the pros and cons of certain shows, so over the years you become more salty in relation to other people and their favorite shows. It's like spending many years learning how to cook and then come to McDonald's and watch people praise junk food.

In such cases, it is important to understand that everything is fine in its place. I mean, you wouldn't expect a good plot from porn, or complain about the lack of edgy drama in high school comedy? When you fully understand this, things will actually become much easier.
Nov 21, 2021 4:56 PM

Aug 2015
Yes and no for me.
At one point, I got so burned out of watching anime especially seasonals that I took a break from this medium for a while.
During that break, I came to a realisation that I've been too much crappy seasonals, thus when I came back I became very picky of what I watch on top of mostly dropping the critical/cynical act.
To me, there's little value on crapping of shows that people will potentially like.
Unless the show is outstanding, bad for me where I have to review it on my blog, I tend to drop the show( or even not add the show to my list if that show dosen't impress me with it's first episode) and pretend that show never existed.
Regardless of that, I still this medium alongside video games especially on the JRPG side.
Nov 21, 2021 6:31 PM

Dec 2020
After watching a decent amount of anime but not a lot. I defiantly noticed how when watching a new anime I tend to dislike things that feel as though are common or I can connect to something from another anime. For ex. when I started watching the fate series I started with Fate/stay night and it to me had a very similar and annoying vibe to the bount arc in bleach which I found really boring.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 23, 2021 5:03 AM
Mar 2016
Absolutely.

When I first started, everything seemed really new and cool. Even when it was a bit dorky at times, it still felt engaging. But after watching hundreds of anime, my standards have increased several fold. It's now at the point that almost everything I watch seems like garbage. And frankly, I believe it doesn't just seem that way. It really is. I was just too naive and inexperienced to see it before.

I wholeheartedly believe in the potential of anime as a medium. However, even more than other media, anime is really caught in a cycle of low quality productions. In my view, the problem is that the industry has lost sight of the value of true quality. The cost of producing an anime is high, while a lot of people don't bother buying it. The industry likes to blame that on advent of streaming, and on widespread piracy. But as far as I'm concerned, while piracy is certainly an issue, the real reason nobody buys it is because nothing they make is worth paying for. My policy, at least, is that I buy anime purely to support the creators. I buy hard copies but don't actually watch the anime from them. It's just to support high-quality anime. Needless to say, though, I buy very few anime. There just aren't enough worth supporting.

I think the best art comes from creators who aren't concerned about money. That applies to other media, too. The best books. The best games. They almost always come from individuals or small studios that value what they create beyond just how it pays the bills. Even though it's a shame, art is never going to be a stable source of monetary income. Not unless the artist sacrifices their artistic vision to cater to popular appeal.
Nov 23, 2021 5:23 AM
May 2019
I've been watching anime for almost 4 years and i think i've got to the point where i can't find a good anime anymore, i can always rewatch the good animes tho.
Dec 16, 2021 5:29 AM

Nov 2019
It's true to an extent; I think the more anime a person watches the more niche their tastes become since they have a larger grasp of series.
Dec 16, 2021 5:34 AM

Dec 2018
At least for me it is. My standards are higher and I have less tolerance.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» That moment when you realize...

Dominusew - 41 seconds ago

0 by Dominusew »»
41 seconds ago

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
14 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
21 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
24 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.