Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Giant Killing
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 7, 2010 5:18 PM

Jan 2008
WTF!=(
They scrapped so much in the anime! I'm just gutted. So many fabulous jokes and scenes were just thrown away(the humor-part in anime is seriously lagging in the 1st ep). I can't believe they didn't include the first meeting between Tatsuo and Yuri("i'm a future-oriented person") or a scene in the car when Tatsuo actually remembered her("why did you have to remember THAT"). It was really nice and funny. I just don't get the animators/director. What possibly could be easier? Just follow the manga...
Also the animation is average at best, but that's kinda expected. Although they could have done a better Yuri design. Overall the series is ok, but could have been so much better really.
[Old School Anime Club]
Apr 7, 2010 5:41 PM

Sep 2008
@ardeur
maybe they will put that for flasback or sumthin like that...
but that cut help the pace of 1st episode, to be honest.
Apr 7, 2010 5:48 PM

Jul 2008
Hmmm they've watched Portsmouth v. East Ham and East Ham is the lower-league club lol

T'was based on West Ham, but became a team on some other town.

I'll be watching this since it's football, but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol
Apr 7, 2010 6:12 PM

Dec 2007
I can definitely see this one having a great story, it sure has me hooked anyways. Too bad this episode was so poorly executed though...it could have been made so much better. To go along with that, minus points for the noticeably bad background music throughout.
Apr 7, 2010 6:17 PM

May 2008
anime already got me hooked, sport animes are awesome, intense action. Eyeshield 21 and Hajime no Ippo were epic winners. Lets see how this legend soccer anime get out.

ill minus some points for the graphics on female eyes. They seem corny

Apr 7, 2010 6:28 PM

Jan 2009
the only thing I don't like about this show is the way they draw some of the characters ( the woman and the coach's brother). but other than that I have no complaints. it's pretty good imo. I always like characters that have special strategy or unusual way to win over things. from my perspective (who had not read the manga), this show has a potential I may or may not continue watching it if they can keep this up.
Apr 7, 2010 8:27 PM

Aug 2009
Okay, just started watching the episode. The opening was killerrrrr.

What the hell? This English-accented man is the shittiest excuse for a voice actor. He's so monotone.

Alright, I'm sucked in. I just finished the episode. I dig the animation and art style sooooo much. Tatsumi is a total badass (there's always gotta be one badass character). I'm really looking forward to see how this show will turn out. I have a feeling Tatsumi is going to play some kickass mind games (very reminiscent of One Outs). We'll see. Great episode though! :D

Oh and the ending was sick, as well. I gotta check out this band.
Apr 7, 2010 8:58 PM

Dec 2008
Awesome! I was a bit dissapointed by the animation but it's clear that the producers made their research. FA Cup, some English Clubs similarities, the brittish english accent it's decently spoken; good production job.

The soundtrack it's appropiate and very pleasant. It's been a while since I watched a sport-football anime and by that, I don't even mean a decent one. Hope that the strategies are intelligent enough (One Outs) and that the anime doesn't dissapoint at the end.

EXTRA:
Jacut said:
By the way, as we're talking football, I'm feeling a bit down tonight since my team Bordeaux just won the second leg of the Champion's League quarter finals but lost on aggregate to an extremely lucky Lyon team that didn't really deserve to qualify (thanks mainly to an incredible goalkeeper - thankfully he's also France's goalkeeper - and a huge mistake by the referee in the first leg). And that's quite sad. But well, our friends from Lyon will have a shot at defeating the Bayern in semi-finals so I wish them good luck :)
I'm dissapointed at Man U's elimination as well. And, I too, feel that the opposite team (Bayern München) didn't deserve the win. Well put all fault on Rafael lol. Anyway Barsa or Inter will win the Champions League. Whoever denies this must be blind or it's simply stupid.

entropy13 said:
but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol
After losing 4-1 (and the Arsenal's only goal was totally invalid due to a foul commited previously) to the greatest team in the world, Barcelona, you can be London giants. Actually Chelsea's on top at the moment so you'd be giants of... nowhere? Of your mind? lol
vault2049Apr 7, 2010 9:13 PM
Apr 7, 2010 9:25 PM

Jan 2010
I thought this show was about manly men and football, not that sissy footsie tootsie soccer stuff.

Dropped.
Ok™
Apr 7, 2010 9:42 PM

Mar 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this episode. I'm not a big fan of sports anime, but this one caught my attention. The premise is interesting and I already want to know more about the characters. Looking forward to the rest!
Apr 7, 2010 10:15 PM
Dec 2007
The only thing it's missing is using this as the opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X6YH04vj8I&;
Apr 7, 2010 10:23 PM

Sep 2008
This was actually really good. I was interested since Sports Animes always seem to be at least good and I haven't seen a soccer Anime before. I quite like the idea of this. The main character being a manager is interesting instead of him being the best player in the team. I don't like he character designs much and the animation seems like a mix of good and bad but the content seems like it will be quite enjoyable.
Apr 7, 2010 10:35 PM

Aug 2009
Wow, I'm so surprised this anime uses some real life English team names, and even mention the FA Cup and the Premiership.

And the main character is the manager of the team, instead of a player... Awesome, I'm totally hooked! :D
Apr 7, 2010 11:09 PM
Jul 2008
This is my first sports anime.

I love the art, it looks serious (they remind me of Kaji) with those noses xD

On some moments it was really slow, but I guess that's part of the first episode. Looking forward to see the result of a upcoming game ^^

GO FOOTBALL!!
Apr 8, 2010 1:01 AM

Mar 2009
lol man all i can say is "WOW"... such an interesting anime... i was seriously on the edge of my seat wanting to watch the second epi right as epi 1 ended. ^_^
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Apr 8, 2010 2:39 AM

Mar 2008
I am not a big fan of sports anime, but they are not bad most of the time. This episode wasn't either. Good to see some mature characters for a change. Moreover since it's football I actually know the rules.

Might stick with it since I like the underdog setting and that badass main guy.

A little pearl between all those ecchi/harem/moe shows.
Apr 8, 2010 5:18 AM

Jan 2010
They left some stuff out from the manga, but still a good episode. Tatsumi does remind me of The Special One.

On that note, FORZA INTER!!!!! any other inter fans on here?
Apr 8, 2010 8:42 PM

Jun 2009
entropy13 said:
I'll be watching this since it's football, but I'm an Arsenal fan, we're the giants lol

Too bad my squad, Barça, knocked them out.

This seems interesting, being my first sports anime. Looking forward to the match in the next ep. Only hoping that this doesn't become very predictable. New coach goes to bad team, has tough time getting team on track, coach turns team around, team wins league title, end of anime.
Apr 9, 2010 2:32 AM

Jul 2008
well maybe this will be the eyeshield 21 of soccer
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Apr 9, 2010 4:23 AM

May 2008
This show looks epic woots

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Apr 9, 2010 5:01 AM

Oct 2008
Like this show :)

Apr 9, 2010 10:43 PM

Mar 2009
Man, there are too many good shows this season, I can't decide what to watch.

This was fun, I love how they brought the "Fanatic" aspect of the game into the show already.

Because, if you're gonna do a show about Soccer(Sorry, I know a lot of you just died inside, I'm American), you've got keep a lot of focus on the Fandom!!!

The main character is awesome, kind of reminds of Onizuka or something.

I'm not a huge fan of the art, but it was already starting to grow on me by the end of the episode.

The character designs overall are lacking but the main character is awesome, and the chick he keeps telling to make him food looks like Ippo's mom XP

Not 100% sure, but I think I'll be watching this one, can't ever pass up a Seinen sports anime!!

Urahara Out!!
Apr 10, 2010 1:28 PM

Nov 2009
It was okay, but we have yet to see what the show is actually about; the actual football.
At least the background information was okay, sort of uneventful when you watch so many dramas that a mostly happy history is weird and boring.
Apr 11, 2010 4:20 AM

Jul 2009
Not bad for 1st episode imo. Although i didn't like the art. Glad we have anime about soccer, and this one show us about the managerial aspect. But i hope they make the match looks interesting like show us the player technique, movement, etc (realictically off course).

Also, i like their uniform because their uniform is just like Milan XD. Although their shirt badge resembles MU a little.
Apr 12, 2010 7:27 PM

Mar 2009
This... is.. awesome. :D Tomokazu Seki just went from ending Nodame to doing the voice of another awesome character! :) The action is great and playing the kids?! The next episode should be interesting. --- Randy
Apr 13, 2010 6:22 PM

Nov 2007
Ah, first time I've seen a show of this type.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net - the official IRC channel for Fate Testarossa.
Apr 13, 2010 8:26 PM

Aug 2008
havsie said:
I thought this show was about manly men and football, not that sissy footsie tootsie soccer stuff. Dropped.
Don't really understand why you dropped immediately... I know the animation is horrid and the chicks look like jello but... that ain't a good reason to drop this awesome looking Anime!

I know the graphics look horrible, but man, the story will be awesome for sure... so far only 19 chappies of around 100 available of the manga are scanlated... so far the story is pretty interesting... I do agree they are taking it too fast but I dunno what else could happen here, so I expect a bit of speed for the anime since it will be 26 episodes long...

there are details that have been ignored, but they're not that useful for the manga so far... later on they'll be, meanwhile I love the idea of the producers to focus first of all on the Club and Tatsumi... Tatsumi is the soul of the Anime/Manga so it's logical they give it that attention... which is good since he's awesome... and he's a great coach too... He really is like the perfect mix between Jose Mourinho and Hiruma Yoruichi XD Can you imagine a 5th level Team to hold on against a 1st Level team and almost win?! Man that guy is really something ... okay Portsmouth isn't exactly the stronger team but hey it's a Premiership Team....

So far what this episode covered of the manga is enough to keep me hooked... but I can't ignore that there might be a second season... well whatever it is, I'll keep on watching this till it ends :D

Signs,
Green
rebwatersApr 13, 2010 9:11 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 16, 2010 12:46 PM

May 2008
It's been a while since i seen a sports series
I'll give it a shot.
The OP and End are good and the background story that showed
so far is good the animation is ok..
Apr 17, 2010 2:32 PM

May 2008
It was pretty decent first episode. I was hesitant whether to start it or not, and I don't really like soccer either, but then I'm glad I did watch it...I'll keep this up for sure :D
Apr 17, 2010 4:52 PM
May 2008
I’m not much of a sports manga/anime fan to be honest but after reading some comments about this anime I decided to give it a try and watch the first episode. To my surprise it was good and I really enjoyed watching.

This is not my first soccer anime; my first ones are Goal Field Hunter and Captain Tsubasa.

The episode was very entertaining and had some pretty good surprise moments like when we find that Tatsumi is the President’s son or like when we find that Tatsumi had been the star of ETU in his younger days or like in the end when we find the reason why he made the players take that run test and how he’ll decide who are the regulars and who the substitutes.

So far my favorite character is Tatsumi. I can’t wait to learn more about him just as I can’t wait to watch the next episode.
May 26, 2010 8:20 PM

May 2009
Couldn't think of any animes too watch, so I decided to give Giant Killing a try, and omfg! This show pumps me up!
Jun 28, 2010 11:55 PM

Oct 2008
just wen i was dying for a football anime , i find this...im soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo happpyyy.....
Jul 18, 2010 9:07 PM
Feb 2009
so far looks good to me.
Aug 18, 2010 3:04 AM

Apr 2009
nice.
hope i'll like it
Sep 12, 2010 11:05 AM
Sep 2009
finnally an English person in an anime who sounds English.
Oct 2, 2010 11:00 PM

Aug 2010
Holy crap! I haven't been this optimistic about an anime series in a while, especially of of a series that is rated below an 8. He made quite an impression on me. I love how he came out late while eating a sandwich and made an incredibly bold decision. I am looking forward to seeing the growth of this team, Tsubaki especially.
Feb 9, 2012 12:00 AM

Sep 2009
FOEbulous-max said:

As a casual football (that's soccer for any Americans here) fan who has played some Football Manager

I play :D I thought the same thing: "this seems an footbal manager anime"
"The second place is the first place of the losers"
"God is big, God is strong and when He wants there isn't who wants"
"Everybody has a limit. My limit is over the others"
Ayrton Senna da Silva
------------------------------------------------------------------

Brazilian, Rio, Soccer, Geek, Gamer, Vivaldi Browser mod and beta tester

Aug 25, 2012 9:26 AM

Dec 2008
Pretty good first episode. They even actually used an English VA to voice an English character.

I already like this show.
Oct 7, 2012 7:09 PM

May 2009
that guy at the beginning talking to the two japanese spectators

he kinda looks and sounds like Arsene Wenger (manager of Arsenal)
kmfcmOct 7, 2012 7:17 PM
Dec 15, 2012 4:17 PM

Mar 2012
This anime already makes me want to play Football Manager again and lead some Conference team to the Premiership.
Aug 12, 2013 6:51 PM

Jul 2012
Too much talk, not enough playing. Has potential though. Interesting premise. 3/5

Hope the next episode is better.
Feb 2, 2014 3:37 PM

Aug 2009
pretty good. I rather liked it. Did feel it was a bit fast but thats ok it got straight to the point. If we missed some important details maybe they will elaborate on them later...who knows. but for now, I like it. This is my first soccer anime, so I'm kind of excited! :) onto the next episode!

Apr 11, 2014 4:55 AM

Dec 2012
Looks like a promising series that seems to be taking a different and refreshing approach to sports anime. Tatsumi is growing on me quickly, he's pretty cool. I think he did those sprints to determine who could consistently run the fastest times. It means he'll have a team with more speed + endurance. Looking forward to the practice match, that grin at the end was great.
Apr 25, 2015 5:04 AM

Aug 2013
It was a bit slow but interesting start. I'm surprised that the main character is the coach, instead of an overpowered player.
Nov 24, 2015 9:14 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
Having watched Ginga e Kickoff and Area no Kishi, I expect this show to be just as good if not better than those two.

That Tatsumi is a boss.

Dec 14, 2015 7:29 PM

Jan 2010
ok, i'm already hooked, as a soccer fan myself :D

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Feb 15, 2019 8:22 PM

Jul 2017
I think I'm going to like this more than Days. Not your usual high school sports anime.

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Aug 17, 2020 4:29 PM

Dec 2007
usually i don't mind art like this if the story is good, and that sure was delivered in this ep.

i really wondering if i would be able to like a soccer sport after couple of other sport anime, but it seems to me good for now.

the first ep set good setting for the series and the pace was well.
Aug 29, 2022 1:54 PM
May 2017
dida lot of good things about anime and football. lot of real life football from europe. things you dont see in anime only documentaries. also from a manager pov so many things not in a normal anime
Jan 29, 2023 6:14 PM

Apr 2022
decided to watch this off a whim but wow that was a great first episode.

the BGM was especially great, the op gives a scottish vibe. love the realism so far.

as an actual football fan, i have high hopes now.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 5 Discussion

throwaway513846 - May 2, 2010

45 by Dywei »»
Jan 28, 5:16 AM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 16 Discussion

helur - Jul 18, 2010

28 by cableguyjay »»
Sep 11, 2023 5:42 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 17 Discussion

BitchMaster - Jul 25, 2010

29 by tinker3bellz1 »»
Mar 19, 2023 10:04 PM

Poll: » Giant Killing Episode 19 Discussion

devilangell - Aug 8, 2010

38 by Shiroko_kun »»
Oct 7, 2022 12:15 PM

» Favorite club (other than ETU of course) and favorite player?

darthbarth - Jun 5, 2022

6 by awrup »»
Jul 12, 2022 4:07 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.