Forum Settings
Forums

'Kakegurui Twin' Spin-off Manga Gets Anime Adaptation

New
Nov 8, 2021 6:59 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
An anime adaptation of Homura Kawamoto and Katsura Saiki's Kakegurui Twin (Compulsive Gambler Twin) spin-off manga was announced at the Netflix Festival Japan 2021 event on Tuesday. Avex Pictures also opened an official website, revealing a teaser visual (pictured). The anime series will debut worldwide exclusively on Netflix in August 2022.

MAPPA, the animation studio behind the original series, will also produce the spin-off. Voice actress Minami Tanaka (Zombieland Saga) is reprising her role as Mary Saotome, the spin-off's protagonist.

Synopsis
As a first-year student of the renowned Hyakkaou Private Academy, Mary Saotome knows her future is set for a one-way cruise to the top...That is, until an encounter with an old-classmate-turned-housepet throws the newbie princess into the world of gambling! Can a normal girl like Mary make friends and survive debtless through only wit and luck? (Source: Yes Press, edited)

Kawamoto and Saiki began the spin-off manga in Monthly Gangan Joker in September 2015. Square Enix published the 11th volume on February 22, with the 12th volume shipping on October 21. Yen Press licensed the manga in English in July 2018 and published the tenth volume on June 29.

The original manga by Kawamoto and Tooru Naomura began in March 2014. Square Enix plans to release the 15th volume on October 21. Yen Press licensed the manga in English in July 2015 and published the 13th volume on June 8. Kakegurui has a cumulative 6.2 million copies of its volumes in circulation.

MAPPA adapted the manga into two television anime seasons in Summer 2017 and Winter 2019. Netflix began streaming the first season outside of Japan in February 2018, followed by the second season in June 2019.

Official site: https://kakegurui-twin-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @kakegurui_anime

Source: Press Release

Kakegurui Twin on MAL
VindstotNov 8, 2021 8:50 PM

Nov 8, 2021 7:07 PM

Mar 2014
Is that the prequel?

Nice to see Kakegurui author getting new stuff after the Cheat Slayer disaster (who I dont think it was his fault).
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
Nov 8, 2021 7:45 PM

Nov 2013
Fabris said:
Is that the prequel?

Yes, it takes place a year before the main series.
Nov 8, 2021 7:47 PM

Oct 2017
Nice, now I hope other Kakegurui spin off also gets anime.
Nov 8, 2021 7:58 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Finally we have a release date for this
Nov 8, 2021 8:22 PM

Jun 2019
Fabris said:
Is that the prequel?

Nice to see Kakegurui author getting new stuff after the Cheat Slayer disaster (who I dont think it was his fault).

I never heard of Cheat Slayer until you mentioned it here and wow....I'm honestly surprised it got published. But if he got permission then I'm surprised it got cancelled so quick.
Nov 8, 2021 9:50 PM

Oct 2020
LETS GOOOOOOOOOO
Nov 8, 2021 10:07 PM

Apr 2012
I'm a little embarrassed that they chose Netflix. Don't they have enough hype to make a third season?

Fabris said:
Is that the prequel?

Yes, this is a prequel that was created in the wake of Mary's popularity. Also given the current audience of the franchise, get ready to turn the discussion into a branch of Twitter, especially this anime
RobertBobertNov 8, 2021 10:21 PM
Nov 8, 2021 10:32 PM
Feb 2021
Guess they decide to do this first until they have enough source materials for S3. Well for sure it’s MAPPA, but I’m not expecting Hayashi directing this since he’s busy with AOT.
RobertBobert said:
I'm a little embarrassed that they chose Netflix. Don't they have enough hype to make a third season?
Enough hype but not enough source materials for now. We will have enough after this got released.
And I don’t see any problems with Netflix. Like they licensed the original series after all tho.
Nov 8, 2021 10:34 PM

Apr 2012
AbelNhom said:
Guess they decide to do this first until they have enough source materials for S3. Well for sure it’s MAPPA, but I’m not expecting Hayashi directing this since he’s busy with AOT.
RobertBobert said:
Enough hype but not enough source materials for now. We will have enough after this got released.

You think so? I always thought it was endless manga.
Nov 8, 2021 10:36 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
RobertBobert said:
Kakegurui has always been with Netflix so idk why that would've changed
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 8, 2021 10:37 PM

Apr 2012
DatRandomDude said:
RobertBobert said:

Is it? I don't remember that the first two seasons were somehow different from the usual anime or came out in one set on one day.
Nov 8, 2021 10:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
RobertBobert said:
DatRandomDude said:

Is it? I don't remember that the first two seasons were somehow different from the usual anime or came out in one set on one day.
yeah. I remember when it was already announced to be a part of the Netflix jail when season one was going to air in 2017 lol
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Nov 8, 2021 10:45 PM

Jul 2015
Jumeko singlehandedly carried this series and without her I don't even see the point of watching it.

Nov 8, 2021 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
DatRandomDude said:
RobertBobert said:

yeah. I remember when it was already announced to be a part of the Netflix jail when season one was going to air in 2017 lol

Hm. I watched this show on Netflix, but I thought they just bought the rights from MAPPA
Nov 8, 2021 10:46 PM

May 2012
I am happy it got new season

But August 2022 is long wait !!
thepathNov 8, 2021 10:51 PM
Nov 8, 2021 10:49 PM

Apr 2012
Piromysl said:
Jumeko singlehandedly carried this series and without her I don't even see the point of watching it.

This manga was literally pandering for those who fap too hard on Mary lol. Also, in my experience, this is the most beloved part of the franchise on Twitter.
Nov 9, 2021 2:38 AM

Oct 2010
finally best girl get her anime, I hope they'll make a 3rd season of Kakegurui when they have enough chapters.
Can't wait to see threads asking the watch order.

RobertBobert said:
This manga was literally pandering for those who fap too hard on Mary lol.

Yes, it was made for us :))
Nov 9, 2021 3:45 AM

Nov 2016
Now this sounds like something to look forward to. I've been craving some crazy gambling girls.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Nov 9, 2021 6:09 AM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Yes!!! I've been waiting for another season of Kakegurui and I love Mary Saotome. I was planning on reading the Kakegurui Twin manga since it was a prequel series, but I'll wait on the anime.
Nov 9, 2021 6:27 AM

Feb 2012
Good news, this series is wild overall. Hoping for a good season.
Nov 9, 2021 6:30 AM

Feb 2020
Why is spin off rated higher than main series? Is it actually better or just because of low member count?
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 9, 2021 6:32 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
HiddenSilentMe said:
Fabris said:
Is that the prequel?

I never heard of Cheat Slayer until you mentioned it here and wow....I'm honestly surprised it got published. But if he got permission then I'm surprised it got cancelled so quick.
It was such a hilarious yet interesting premise too lol....I really wish that they just let him tell the story
Nov 9, 2021 7:02 AM

Mar 2017
as a manga reader, i'm so excited. i really enjoy kakegurui twin more than the original series. i'm excited to see so many characters animated. hope they do it justice
Nov 9, 2021 7:22 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
Why is spin off rated higher than main series? Is it actually better or just because of low member count?

The relationship of the two female MCs is more looked like ship tease than bold bait and memes in the original show. Also, Mary for objective reasons looks like a more reasonable character than Jabami, so this manga became the gateway to the franchise for many normies.
Nov 9, 2021 7:25 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Adampk said:

The relationship of the two female MCs is more looked like ship tease than bold bait and memes in the original show. Also, Mary for objective reasons looks like a more reasonable character than Jabami, so this manga became the gateway to the franchise for many normies.

I don't care about girls, I hope the gamble thrill is as good as original
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Nov 9, 2021 7:29 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, you asked why this is rated higher, I answered. Otherwise, this is a typical spin-off of this franchise.
Nov 9, 2021 7:35 AM

Feb 2020
RobertBobert said:
Adampk said:

Well, you asked why this is rated higher, I answered. Otherwise, this is a typical spin-off of this franchise.

I mean usually, I dont see spin off rated higher than original. Plus its not like mary is having more fans than jabami
BIO

Nov 9, 2021 7:49 AM

Apr 2012
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:

I mean usually, I dont see spin off rated higher than original. Plus its not like mary is having more fans than jabami

That's why I explained to you that this is related to a newer audience.
Nov 9, 2021 3:42 PM
Apr 2018
Adampk said:
RobertBobert said:

I honestly enjoy kakegurui twin more than the original haha

the gambling aspect is pretty on par with the main series, dramatic faces included

it's also interesting to see a different side of mary since she's noticeably nicer in the prequel compared to the maniac we saw in episode 1 of the main series lmao
Nov 9, 2021 4:53 PM

May 2015
I doubt Hayashi's going to return, as much as I want to see his over the top direction once more. Man needs a break.

Whoever takes over, I hope they do good.

Those with dirty minds will find my Steam pic offensive
Nov 10, 2021 8:55 AM

Nov 2013
Yeah sure. Kakegurui can be a bit boring at times but it also fun to see crazy games and crazy characters.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Nov 10, 2021 8:42 PM

Jul 2017
Can't believe the news for this. I've always been thinking how great it would be if this got adapted, and it just recently came to mind again. Just what the fuck? Would have never expected it Lol. I guess I could have thought about the possibility with Netflix tho.

Nov 11, 2021 6:05 AM

Jul 2017
OOH, Mary's prequel story before the main series?

Hell yeah.
Nov 11, 2021 12:12 PM

May 2015
Adampk said:

Low member count. Spin-off isn't better or worse than the main series. They are both average.

The main series has 49,000 members (13,000 rated)
The spin-off has 6,000 members (1,400 rated)

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Nov 14, 2021 7:55 AM

Oct 2014
Piromysl said:

I have the complete opposite opinion. With Yumeko there were absolutely no stakes at all to the gambles and it got pretty old fairly quick for me.

Without her I can see a possibility for some actual stakes to take place. Then again, despite the appearances, the original show wasn't really about the gambling itself.
Nov 16, 2021 12:53 AM

Apr 2012
LuZeke said:
Piromysl said:

I have the complete opposite opinion. With Yumeko there were absolutely no stakes at all to the gambles and it got pretty old fairly quick for me.

Without her I can see a possibility for some actual stakes to take place. Then again, despite the appearances, the original show wasn't really about the gambling itself.

Well, Yumeko is a pretty classic "how does Batman get out of this problem this time?" protagonist.
RobertBobertNov 16, 2021 1:44 AM
Nov 17, 2021 4:44 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
Well, Yumeko is a pretty classic "how does Batman get out of this problem this time?" protagonist.

Thing is, Yumeko never really gets to the "get out of this problem" bit because she's either already solved the problem before it's presented to the audience, or she can leverage her insane wealth to make the problem go away. At least when Batman gets into trouble, he's actually -in trouble-.
Nov 18, 2021 1:55 PM
Feb 2015
Let's hope this makes up for the crappy second season
Nov 20, 2021 11:22 AM

Apr 2012
LuZeke said:
RobertBobert said:

Thing is, Yumeko never really gets to the "get out of this problem" bit because she's either already solved the problem before it's presented to the audience, or she can leverage her insane wealth to make the problem go away. At least when Batman gets into trouble, he's actually -in trouble-.

You've never watched JoJo with all those "actually I have already defeated you!" ?
Nov 20, 2021 3:38 PM

Jan 2020
Down for a prequel for sure.
Nov 22, 2021 1:31 AM

Oct 2014
RobertBobert said:
You've never watched JoJo with all those "actually I have already defeated you!" ?

I have, and again it's not a good comparison. Those turnabouts typically comes after many setbacks and then seeing an opportunity or capitalizing on a flaw in the opponent. And again, the characters are actually in real danger in JoJo.

You don't seem to understand the difference between those and Yumeko, and why she's not compelling. It's not just about solving the problem, it's also about getting TO that solution. Even the stoic Batman has setbacks and makes mistakes.
Nov 22, 2021 1:47 AM

Apr 2012
LuZeke said:
RobertBobert said:

I have, and again it's not a good comparison. Those turnabouts typically comes after many setbacks and then seeing an opportunity or capitalizing on a flaw in the opponent. And again, the characters are actually in real danger in JoJo.

You don't seem to understand the difference between those and Yumeko, and why she's not compelling. It's not just about solving the problem, it's also about getting TO that solution. Even the stoic Batman has setbacks and makes mistakes.

If I disagree with you, it doesn’t mean that I don’t understand you.
Nov 22, 2021 1:48 AM
May 2021
Yeah I like to watch kakegurai

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 28 minutes ago

3 by redvelvetdoll »»
5 minutes ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
3 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Today

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
5 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - 10 hours ago

3 by eli_shmeli »»
8 hours ago

» 'Katsute Mahou Shoujo to Aku wa Tekitai shiteita.' Reveals Additional Cast, Second Promo

Doshigatai - Today

3 by JehadKun »»
Today, 8:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.