Forum Settings
Forums
Ciguatera
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 2, 2010 8:48 PM
Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Disappointing end to an otherwise good series.
Apr 3, 2010 2:16 AM

Sep 2007
I didnt like the last volume much and to make matters worse the ending was complete rubbish
Apr 3, 2010 10:49 PM

Feb 2008
I liked the ending. Life goes on, and people go their separate ways. I didn't think for a second they would end up together.

Also I loved how this manga ended up with 69 chapters. Coincidence? I think not.
seraphjeiApr 3, 2010 11:38 PM
Apr 5, 2010 6:40 AM
Apr 2009
Damn. That "life goes on, people go separate ways" thing is my weakspot, those endings always hit me hard. I wouldn't be that depressed if both of'em were raped and slain by yakuza or something. Well, guess I'm just being idealistic (read: immature).
Apr 5, 2010 2:57 PM

Oct 2008
And here i was hoping he would get married to her, get a job, make her pregnant and get shot down by the yakuza....
Suicidal...Me?...Naaaah
Apr 10, 2010 5:37 PM
Jan 2009
Man, that ending. I was really hoping that they'd end up together as adults.
I imagine there would be several break ups and whatnot but ultimately in the end they'd be making a family together.
Apr 17, 2010 7:52 PM

Nov 2008
The ending fit the manga well. I guess people aren't used to average endings instead of the typical "happily ever after" or "main character is dead" that's too common in today's seinen manga.

I want to hate this manga but for some reason, it sticks.
arimakenshinApr 18, 2010 6:41 PM
Apr 25, 2010 7:29 AM

Sep 2009
i quite liked the ending, to be honest. it was more interesting than the predictable alternative that could have happened.
May 2, 2010 8:19 PM

Sep 2008
Well I was wondering how he would break up with her because I spoiled myself.

Anyways at 68 I had no clue how it would work. I guess the time skip worked.

I do have to say though it was a great series and I guess it had to go along the lines that he couldn't have everything he wanted so it was either the girl, or the life and just having the girl wouldn't work well in this situation.

Other than that it was a great series but I thought I noticed a shift in style after chapter 50, but maybe that was me. After that line I wasn't as interested in it, although I was interested in how it will turn out in the end, not really chapter by chapter.
Mar 11, 2011 7:39 PM

Jun 2007
All through the manga, their relationship was what supported Ogino's otherwise bleak existence. And, by the end, Nagumo also expressed how her love for him had become so strong that she couldn't live without him. Not even the transition between school and college life changed their relationship. There was nothing prior to the final two chapters that suggested the two would ever part ways.

The series lacked a sense of purpose, after the first three volumes. Once the bullying and rom-com sides of the series peaked, only random episodicness remained, with SOME occasional focus on the progression of Ogino's life. It was on a downhill descent - some laughter aside - once the chapters became increasingly random, and the final chapter struck me as being a pre-prepared cancellation ending for what had lost its luster.

Only those with hate for happy ever after endings would say Ciguatera doesn't have a terrible ending. Some V4 trolling aside, the romance was the one uplifting aspect of an otherwise largely depressing work. The ending made reading all six volumes feel like a major waste of time; as if the author was somehow mocking me for ever caring about his creations. No reward was given and, had the series just stopped without any conclusion, it would have been far more satisfying.

No-one wants to follow a fictional romance, care for the characters, and then get slapped in the face by an abnormally large penis, needlessly.
Mar 13, 2011 11:15 AM

Jun 2007
Some further rambling:

Reality is harsh enough. There's no joy in turning to fiction and, after going through a story where the message appeared to be 'Life is shitty, but find love and you can find salvation', the ending making all of the declarations of love and thoughts of the future utterly meaningless drains away nearly all of the enjoyment that went before.

What's the point of falling in love if it fades away time and time again; making the words said during the lovey-dovey stage worthless? Seeing the two with different partners, only a few years after they were madly in love with each other, only highlights how fickle people are, and how pointless life is. And that line of thought is totally at odds with the rom-com lovefest that went before the final two chapters.

If, from the get-go, the tone had been 100% depressing, then I could understand the ending. But, no matter how I look at it, ending the series how he did just suggests he hated the idea of going with a conventional ending and thought, "Why don't I go with the opposite of what people expect? Trolling/originality, FTW!!!"

...If the final chapter is what the author intended to build up towards slowly originally, thank God I didn't have to suffer through the two gradually moving towards banging other people - that's all I can say.
Mar 29, 2011 5:33 PM

Mar 2008
Lesson Learned:

Reality sucks....

Okay, back to fantasy~
Apr 4, 2011 5:51 AM

Nov 2009
Really enjoyed this manga but the ending caught me off guard. I thought we will get a happy ending with both staying together or the bad ending with one of them dying but this ending aint that bad at all.

The ending was satisfying but I get the feeling like the manga got axed and the author just pulled some random ending.
Apr 15, 2011 7:25 PM

Aug 2010
i knew the ending will be not ur typical ending.

well this is actually true, not everything goes the way u like.

though, i have to admit this manga is too long, it shudda been 40-50 chapters.

im giving this a 8/10 mainly because i am in the same situation as Ogino was when he was studying hard to get to college,
i hope i pass :D
Apr 23, 2011 4:14 PM

Mar 2009
well i'm not opposed to the ending itself...but the way we get thrown into it just sucks...no explanations...nothing about him meeting his (in the end) current girl...to me, this last chapter looks like something a bad mangaka would drawn, when he gets cancelled and has to get the series to an end, while being fixated on an ending he imagines, but he has way to less time to make it any good...

imho epic fail ending
May 29, 2011 1:02 PM

May 2009
The ending was too abrupt... to the point it felt random and pointless. Nevertheless, this was a great series, but I don't know how I should feel about the ending. It's not what I was expecting... everything was pointing to something different.
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Jun 13, 2011 12:53 PM

May 2011
I have a one question about it; What the fuck was that ?

Absolutely hated it, nothing more to say.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jul 5, 2011 1:02 PM

Jul 2008
Disappointing. I get reality is harsh and things don't always work out as planned, but I would have preferred a predictable ending. It was too abrupt and felt against everything the manga had built towards. I just can't appreciate it. A shame. I thoroughly enjoyed the rest.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 27, 2011 2:24 PM

Jan 2010
AironicallyHuman said:
The series lacked a sense of purpose, after the first three volumes.

This was my problem with this series. The ending was disappointing to me because I was hoping all throughout the second half that it would all come together and have some semblance of a point, but it didn't even attempt to, which left me feeling like "well, this was a waste of time."
"My tables-meet it is I set it down
That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain."
Aug 22, 2011 3:43 PM

Nov 2009
I stayed overnight just to get done reading with this manga. Ghad, at least the author should have explained why they broke up! it breaks my heart.
Sep 6, 2011 11:13 PM
Oct 2007
wtf. This is what I pull an all nighter up for?
smh. One of the biggest letdown endings i've ever seen
Sep 10, 2011 2:32 AM

Feb 2009
The ending caught me off guard.. I think a little bit of heads up before this chapter would have been nice. I wanted to cry after reading this chapter.
Apr 1, 2012 7:35 AM
Oct 2011
At first I really hated this ending since we all knew Nagumo from the beginning. I can't think of the reason that he can break up with her. He's not that kind of guy.

On the other hand, I really love the stories. It teaches us about life that have to go on.
Apr 5, 2012 4:06 AM

Mar 2009
Well it's fine with me that they broke up but I think a reason for that should have been included.
Apr 7, 2012 9:14 AM
Dec 2010
I did not like how it ended. Not because it ended like that but because of the lack of informations to turn to that ending.

-Why did they broke up?
-Who's the girl Ogino is dating with? We know that she works in the same place, but that's all.
-Who's Nagumo's husband?
Apr 14, 2012 1:37 PM
Apr 2012
I really dislike the lack of information about the breakup. Instead of doing chapters about some needless randomness they could have worked the story out till the end, instead of giving us a cheap "well it didn't work out after all" ending.

The story didn't have a bad ending at all, because he got a new girlfriend, and a beautiful one too, but it was very unexpected for this storyline and I'd rather have seen him get married to yumi and have children with her so that the happy relationship would have a conventional happy ending, resulting in me having good dreams afterwards. After all, he did do his best to make her happy and worked his ass off to get a decent job. And yumi did realise what kind of guy ogino was and loved him with all her heart. If it evolved gradually into this kind of ending I would have accepted it, but this one I dislike very much.
Jun 6, 2012 8:45 PM
May 2008
The end was just stupid. My personal rating dropped from 6 or maybe even 7 to just 5.
I hated the protagonist, or rather the way he was portrayed. I hated all the randomness. I liked Nagumo...
The ending is just lazy. *Timeskip* Oh well they broke up.
Huh? Why? No, I understand that they could've had billion different reasons. But why?
It could've been any bad ending. They could've both died. Or one of them. Sun could implode. Or explode. Black hole could've sucked in the solar system. Earth could've been hit by meteor. Japan could've been buried under the sea by an earthquake. Why not? Any of the epic endings would've been better than current one. Just imagine.
Aug 11, 2012 10:48 AM

Jun 2012
there were a lot of gasp! moments in it , overall it was sometimes a bit over the top . they completely lost the emotion and reasoning in the end of the series , it was like reading a dark romance novel yeah ! . But still something mature and serious , it shows people dark sides in a weird but unique fashion !
Aug 24, 2012 3:11 PM
Mar 2010
Imperfect at parts, but worth the read.
Sep 3, 2012 10:55 PM

May 2008

The last volume was pretty mediocre but what the fuck was that? Pretty sure the author made that ending just to piss people off. That shit was way out of the left field.

Oct 1, 2012 12:33 AM

Apr 2012
HiFish said:
well i'm not opposed to the ending itself...but the way we get thrown into it just sucks...no explanations...nothing about him meeting his (in the end) current girl...to me, this last chapter looks like something a bad mangaka would drawn, when he gets cancelled and has to get the series to an end, while being fixated on an ending he imagines, but he has way to less time to make it any good...

imho epic fail ending

Karhu said:
I have a one question about it; What the fuck was that ?

Absolutely hated it, nothing more to say.

This and this.
Holy shit, yo.
Made me rage.
Apr 11, 2013 6:17 AM
Mar 2009
AironicallyHuman said:
No-one wants to follow a fictional romance, care for the characters, and then get slapped in the face by an abnormally large penis, needlessly.

My thoughts exactly. After getting so attached to both characters and their relationship, I'd expect a little more than just 'oh they broke up and moved on', all in one chapter.

Aside from that, a very good manga.
May 2, 2013 2:51 PM

Apr 2012
And here I'am 99% to nominate them to be one of the best couples in the history of manga, then the horrible ending came through -___-

edvokias said:
I did not like how it ended. Not because it ended like that but because of the lack of informations to turn to that ending.

-Why did they broke up?
-Who's the girl Ogino is dating with? We know that she works in the same place, but that's all.
-Who's Nagumo's husband?

THIS!
May 5, 2013 5:54 AM

Dec 2012
AironicallyHuman said:
All through the manga, their relationship was what supported Ogino's otherwise bleak existence. And, by the end, Nagumo also expressed how her love for him had become so strong that she couldn't live without him. Not even the transition between school and college life changed their relationship. There was nothing prior to the final two chapters that suggested the two would ever part ways.

The series lacked a sense of purpose, after the first three volumes. Once the bullying and rom-com sides of the series peaked, only random episodicness remained, with SOME occasional focus on the progression of Ogino's life. It was on a downhill descent - some laughter aside - once the chapters became increasingly random, and the final chapter struck me as being a pre-prepared cancellation ending for what had lost its luster.

Only those with hate for happy ever after endings would say Ciguatera doesn't have a terrible ending. Some V4 trolling aside, the romance was the one uplifting aspect of an otherwise largely depressing work. The ending made reading all six volumes feel like a major waste of time; as if the author was somehow mocking me for ever caring about his creations. No reward was given and, had the series just stopped without any conclusion, it would have been far more satisfying.

Couldn't agree with you more you said everything perfectly. I am so fucking disappointed , this is just depressing really..
Goddammit...... (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
May 22, 2013 12:06 AM

Sep 2011
WTF, the mangaka didn't even tell us why they broke up...
Jul 5, 2013 11:19 PM

Aug 2012
dammit I fucking loved that manga! There was hardly a part I was disinterested in and I loved the way the author portrayed the events throughout the characters lives. For instance the arc in which nagumo was raped before ogino gets there and nobody but the offending party ever knows about it or speaks of it again, where as in any other manga this would come up at some point and she would find out. Another example of something I very much enjoyed was the man with the stomach cancer who could have easily raped and murdered nagumo but never did and whom took his own life but was never mourned or mentioned about. It just made me think about all the things that are and could be happening to those around you and about the different lives we lead and the possibilities they hold. I also loved the ending, and I am very glad that there was no told reason for their break up, it almost would have felt too lazy to come up with a concrete reason. This ending really drives home a point and makes us reflect upon reality. I just found this manga very profound in a way that greatly spoke to me, I will always remember this manga
"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee
Aug 5, 2013 7:43 PM

Jan 2013
TeamDaiGurren said:
dammit I fucking loved that manga! There was hardly a part I was disinterested in and I loved the way the author portrayed the events throughout the characters lives. For instance the arc in which nagumo was raped before ogino gets there and nobody but the offending party ever knows about it or speaks of it again, where as in any other manga this would come up at some point and she would find out. Another example of something I very much enjoyed was the man with the stomach cancer who could have easily raped and murdered nagumo but never did and whom took his own life but was never mourned or mentioned about. It just made me think about all the things that are and could be happening to those around you and about the different lives we lead and the possibilities they hold. I also loved the ending, and I am very glad that there was no told reason for their break up, it almost would have felt too lazy to come up with a concrete reason. This ending really drives home a point and makes us reflect upon reality. I just found this manga very profound in a way that greatly spoke to me, I will always remember this manga

I totally agree, you just spared me a rant. Minoru Furuya did it again. His stories never really end with the typical lovey-dovey ending that makes you feel good inside. His works are more profound and philosophical.
Jan 19, 2014 8:38 PM

Oct 2011
I don't need an explanation for the breakup, I don't need closure on either of their lives, I understand that life goes on and people move apart.... but it still hurt me on a personal level. This ending was far too much like my own reality, and that was the worst part.
I've spent my adult life making mistakes one after another and I can see quite a bit of myself in this character, tho I was never so self-deprecating as him thankfully. I just don't know how to feel about the ending since it something that just made me shy away from my own past.

Why post this? Well, who else would I talk to about this? Someone I know hasn't read this story?

So life lesson for today is just be aware, life continues on and sometimes you are there for it and sometimes you are in the next room. People will move in and out of those rooms in the museum of life. Viewing each other like exhibits, sometimes joining them or moving out of them. You never know what room you will settle into and what exhibit you will join, and you will never be able to decide who is coming with you.
Feb 21, 2014 5:56 AM
Dec 2012
Pretty sad how they end everything in like 1 chapter, makes me feel like I have only wasted my time reading to be trolled..
Jun 5, 2014 4:13 PM
Jun 2011
Throughout the last several chapters, Ogi kept saying that he would immediately split up with Nagumo if misfortune falls upon her. This is the most logical reason that I see for their breakup. He decided to end their relationship, as he had promised before, because he was afraid of bringing her further calamity.

As AironicallyHuman commented before, the main theme throughout Ciguatera seems to be "life is shitty, but find love and you can find salvation." The last chapter, however, tramples all over this beautiful theme and gives us a new, depressing message: wake up from your happy dream, reality sucks. Maybe the author had intended to give us this life lesson all along. But only he would know.

Personally, I have come to care about Ogi and Nagumo themselves more than any life lesson that may come out of Ciguatera. If the author had to separate Ogi and Nagumo in order to teach us this life lesson, I'd rather not learning the lesson at all. I'm unhappy about this ending, giving it 2 out of 5.
Winter_WhiteJun 5, 2014 4:16 PM
Sep 17, 2014 2:43 PM
Jun 2012
wtf that ending. im not really that bothereed by the fact they broke up. im actually more bothered about the fact that nothing showed them breaking up or going in that direction. it didnt even mention who got her pregnant or who anybody ended up with. otherwise a pretty decent manga.
Dec 17, 2014 9:05 PM

Feb 2012
the ending is great. it's fitting. i think those that hate it couldn't possibly have grasped the atmosphere of this manga in the way the author intended. i'm a bit curious to know how they split apart, but i still prefer it having not been revealed; it pushes the "things can change in an instant" and "life goes on" theme.
Feb 17, 2015 11:33 AM

Jul 2010
Realistic ending? sure, but doesn't make it any less shitty. I feel like this had way too many chapters. 7/10 I guess...
Feb 24, 2015 10:20 AM
Oct 2012
I disagree with those who said that this is realistic. Everythings got a reason. The author didn't even bother to put some chapter, not even panels to show on how they broke up, just a time skip and *bam* everythings ended.

The original couple was very lovely and it saddened me after I marathoned to read this, just to reach this kind of 'lazy' ending. I would vote this 10/10 had the author put some effort on the details, but nope... 7/10

also the chapter before this might be a hint that he broke up with her to make her happy and the 'hubby' that they (the girls) were talking at this chapter might be the mc and not her real husband, though I might have interpreted it wrongly
May 27, 2015 10:00 PM

Nov 2011
7/10. I personally found this series to be quite realistic although the last few chapters have been a letdown including the final chapter.
Oct 18, 2015 8:12 PM
Dec 2014
zuttono said:
Damn. That "life goes on, people go separate ways" thing is my weakspot, those endings always hit me hard. I wouldn't be that depressed if both of'em were raped and slain by yakuza or something. Well, guess I'm just being idealistic (read: immature).

Yeah, it's my weakness too. First time I read this the ending fucking crushed me like no other piece of media, I felt it in my chest when I woke up the next day. I thought it was genius after my first read, after this second read I think it's just artfully melancholy and definitely not as awful as everyone seems to think it was.

10/10.
Dec 8, 2015 7:12 AM

Jun 2015
Holy crap! Of all the diabetes inducing romance and it ended up with this?
What a troll ending
NotCatcher_Dec 8, 2015 7:17 AM
Dec 28, 2015 11:00 AM

Sep 2009
I wonder how all starving for happyending commentators above managed to read this mostly melanholic manga. A lot of arcs ended nor happyly nor very bad. Imho, the ending of whole series is quite fitting and makes sence. Would not mind them being together though.

I can understand those, who prefer unrealistically sweet stories for enduring hardness of life, but personally I find that sad ones can help with that just the same way - likeや, "wow, they're fucked much more than i ever did, lol"
Jan 24, 2016 10:52 AM

Nov 2012
Piece of shit ending. Goddamnit...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Feb 19, 2016 12:14 PM

Oct 2013
Don't really like this ending but I guess it is on the more realistic scale like this with the whole "Life goes on and things change" and stuff...but I still don't like it....

Kinda felty like the characters were tossed to the side......I would have liked to have known on what it was that broke em up. Was it just time? was it some incident? Did one of em cheat? did they just get fed up? More details would have been nice.
My Manga List
My Anime List
Shabada shabadabadaba
I am DjG545 aka Dj Fo Fo aka The Mutha Fkn Name I'm Usin Now
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ciguatera Chapter 60 Discussion

AlexSadist-sama - Apr 5, 2012

3 by ryo-san »»
May 14, 2023 2:15 AM

Poll: » Ciguatera Chapter 52 Discussion

2 by bucciest »»
Apr 3, 2023 4:02 PM

Poll: » Ciguatera Chapter 34 Discussion

1 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Feb 1, 2023 3:05 AM

Poll: » Ciguatera Chapter 40 Discussion

Touka - Jul 4, 2011

8 by LucasReverblay »»
May 8, 2022 8:17 AM

Poll: » Ciguatera Chapter 59 Discussion

1 by thegarlynch »»
Dec 29, 2021 7:48 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.