Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

another failure or finally a junji ito adaptation that lives up to the manga

New
Oct 26, 2021 8:22 AM

Sep 2021
so as everyone who has this on their watchlist is probably aware junji itos other anime adaptations-while not inherently bellow average, have not lived up to the standards of this legendary manga writer or there source material. however this uzumaki adaptation is looking promising. firstly the studio has heard the complaints and is actively trying to make this one better. Firstly they decided to animate it completely in black and white to preserve the feel of ito’s art, it also has a much larger production team than normal working to re-create the art in the animation. secondly the studio is only adapting into 4 episodes which i hope means they won’t be trying to extend it as a money grab (and not that they’ll be cutting cannon material). The studio team is also taking more than a year on production and, as i already mentioned they have twice as many staff to work on it. so far my outlook is doubtful yet hopeful, i’m glad the studio has made these changes and i really hope that this anime will be a deserving adaptation but based on past adaptations and the unique feel of ito’s manga it’s difficult to believe that this one will be the perfect adaptation. So what do you think? (ew this sounds like a school essay-response) what do you think will/won’t be different?

Oct 26, 2021 8:50 AM
Aug 2021
It's looking really good, at least from the trailer, and the fact that is taking that long means they're working hard on it.
But I'll keep my expectations low despite all that so it won't be disappointing in case it's not that good.
The only worry I have is that it's only 4 episodes, it might mean they'll rush some things unless episodes are longer than usual... so we'll have to wait.
Oct 26, 2021 9:19 AM

Sep 2021
Culastor said:
It's looking really good, at least from the trailer, and the fact that is taking that long means they're working hard on it.
But I'll keep my expectations low despite all that so it won't be disappointing in case it's not that good.
The only worry I have is that it's only 4 episodes, it might mean they'll rush some things unless episodes are longer than usual... so we'll have to wait.
yeah i hope it’s 4 forty-fifty minute eps so it ends up being like 2 and a half hours or so because i seriously doubt that 20 min eps will be enough to give you the whole uzumaki experience. that’s also a worry of mine-that since it’s taking so long and so much effort to animate they’ll end up cutting source material

Oct 26, 2021 9:20 AM
Jul 2018
Culastor said:
I guessing 40 minuute episodes similar to hellsing ultimate
Oct 26, 2021 9:22 AM
Jul 2018
The trailer looks promising. I guess, we will find out when it releases in 2022. Adult swim is working on it as well I guess, so let's see how it will turn out.
Oct 26, 2021 10:00 AM

Dec 2020
I was watching alot videos ‘bout this and I can just say its gonna be the best Ito’s animated work. Now about director (Hiroshi Nagahama) which have alot interesting works like Aku no Hana (If You havent seen it give it a try). I think Nagahama is gonna do great adaption and i totally love the idea about black and white anime. Now for me big plus cuz I love OTS and Colin Stetson has Great music for Uzumaki which would give it the “scary/psycho” atmosphere which We want ! I think its gonna be great and even If it wouldn’t. I want to see those crazy scenes animated so hard. Otherwise even Ito said he didnt wanted uzumaki to get animated cuz he was scared ‘bout how it would turn out but now ? We got it announced so If Ito agreed about adapation then i trust him that its gonna be good.
Oct 26, 2021 11:21 AM

Sep 2016
I wasn't very enthusiastic about it, but after doing a little digging I've found the staff to be really competent and passionate about the project, so I'm expecting good things from them!
Oct 26, 2021 12:26 PM

Sep 2021
BiohazardBK said:
I was watching alot videos ‘bout this and I can just say its gonna be the best Ito’s animated work. Now about director (Hiroshi Nagahama) which have alot interesting works like Aku no Hana (If You havent seen it give it a try). I think Nagahama is gonna do great adaption and i totally love the idea about black and white anime. Now for me big plus cuz I love OTS and Colin Stetson has Great music for Uzumaki which would give it the “scary/psycho” atmosphere which We want ! I think its gonna be great and even If it wouldn’t. I want to see those crazy scenes animated so hard. Otherwise even Ito said he didnt wanted uzumaki to get animated cuz he was scared ‘bout how it would turn out but now ? We got it announced so If Ito agreed about adapation then i trust him that its gonna be good.
*screenshots* sorta off topic but this reminded me of the part in the trailer when the little whirlpools and whirls in the sky(?) we’re animated so they were spinning-and i remember how cool that looked and how it added to the overall artwork. that’s how i’m hoping the whole work is; animation used to enhance his artwork instead of keeping the storyline and adding animation. i definitely agree that this will be the best adaptation so far and i’m glad to know it has junji’s approval.

Oct 31, 2021 3:50 AM
Oct 2017
Honestly im glad that its gonna be black and white, that sounds like a very good step to capture the feel of the manga, and i will be keeping my expectations as low as they can be

But im worried about something that may seem petty but hear me out, i think the show being in black and white will make it very hard if not impossible to read the subtitles lmao
Feb 2, 2022 3:59 PM
Feb 2020
We will really be able to tell once we see the first episode, hopefully it lives up to the source material, but Ito's work historically don't transfer well to animation, could be due to poor adaptation from studios, because the frames from the source could work really well if the suspense is implemented correctly. looking out for this one! waiting on PV's.
Mar 3, 2022 10:47 AM
Jan 2017
It's Production Ig I have complete faith that it will be a very good 4 episodes everyone so calm down
Jun 12, 2022 3:01 PM

Dec 2021
Maybe faded memories have clouded my impression of the original Uzumaki movie, but I remember it having some arresting color imagery to depict Uzumaki, though it was maybe a little more comedic in its horror. It leaves out a lot of the more horrific art and impressive set-pieces from the manga, though. I remember it being okay, but maybe it was bad...

To be honest, though, as much as I like Junji Ito, he is really not an especially great writer. He can be an absolute visionary when it comes to horrific ideas, as long as he doesn't go into too absurd or cliche of a direction, his scenery is wonderfully atmospheric, great detail on the creature designs, etc. But I sincerely wish Ito could team up with a good director and writer to create something new.

I also have 0 faith in any kind of collection adaptation because many of his shorts are simply goofy. They have to be carefully curated to have much of an impact. Souichi stories are lame, for example. And Ito's more comedic forays are awkward to say the least.

I suspect this will be a much more faithful adaptation of Uzumaki than the Higuchinsky film, and the teaser looks pretty decent.
Jun 12, 2022 3:02 PM

Dec 2021
BloodyTaer said:
Honestly im glad that its gonna be black and white, that sounds like a very good step to capture the feel of the manga, and i will be keeping my expectations as low as they can be

But im worried about something that may seem petty but hear me out, i think the show being in black and white will make it very hard if not impossible to read the subtitles lmao

Nah, this isn't an issue at all—I've watched loads of foreign b&w films with subtitles.
Jun 20, 2022 2:34 AM
Jan 2017
Culastor said:

The staff of this adaptation also seems to be really good. This might be the first good Junji Itou anime adaptation.
Jun 27, 2022 8:31 PM
Oct 2020
Even the source material was mid so I don't have high expectations.
Jun 27, 2022 8:32 PM
Jul 2018
The trailer is super promising, I'm definitely hoping that it lives up to the manga.
Jun 27, 2022 8:36 PM

Apr 2020
The 3D models are kinda jank but the black and white style seems to hide most of the weird stuff pretty well. I'll be interested to see how they handle the more elaborate backgrounds and scenes.
Jun 28, 2022 5:25 PM
Apr 2020
Salty-GB said:
The 3D models are kinda jank but the black and white style seems to hide most of the weird stuff pretty well.

What 3D models are you talking about?
Jun 28, 2022 5:47 PM

Apr 2020
LLBird said:
Salty-GB said:
The 3D models are kinda jank but the black and white style seems to hide most of the weird stuff pretty well.

What 3D models are you talking about?

Th... The anime is done in CGI... You can tell by the way Kirie moves in the preview.
Jun 28, 2022 6:17 PM
Apr 2020
Salty-GB said:
Th... The anime is done in CGI... You can tell by the way Kirie moves in the preview.

I'm pretty certain that Kirie is animated in 2D. It's just that she is so well animated (I dunno 30 fps) that it kinda gives this "uncanny" feeling. It could be rotoscoping (director Nagahama used it in Aku no Hana).
Jun 28, 2022 7:04 PM

Apr 2020
LLBird said:
Salty-GB said:

I'm pretty certain that Kirie is animated in 2D. It's just that she is so well animated (I dunno 30 fps) that it kinda gives this "uncanny" feeling. It could be rotoscoping (director Nagahama used it in Aku no Hana).

Its definitely not 2D. You can very clearly see that it's a 3D model with 2D elements rendered on top. I could do a mock-up of a very similar style pretty quickly, tho I don't really wanna do that lol. I have no beef with 3D anime, it just looks a bit obvious sometimes.
Jul 14, 2022 9:02 PM
Feb 2022
Salty-GB said:
LLBird said:

Its definitely not 2D. You can very clearly see that it's a 3D model with 2D elements rendered on top. I could do a mock-up of a very similar style pretty quickly, tho I don't really wanna do that lol. I have no beef with 3D anime, it just looks a bit obvious sometimes.

it's 2D. it looks smooth because it's probably rotoscoped like the cowboy bebop movie trailer. a good example of 2D with 3D elements would be the Deemo II concept video on YouTube where they drew 2D over 3D animation to give it a different vibe.

More topics from this board

» Any news when it gonna release?

Otaku_Agent008 - Mar 15

17 by SafeEntity »»
Apr 3, 5:51 PM

» WHEN?!

monke_guy - Jan 6, 2023

39 by monke_guy »»
Apr 1, 7:01 AM

» Recipes for failure ? ( 1 2 )

daywithoutgames - Oct 12, 2021

86 by hypergoob »»
Mar 11, 7:26 AM

» Will Uzumaki revolutionize the anime industry? ( 1 2 3 )

Kanalense - Aug 26, 2023

127 by removed-user »»
Mar 11, 7:18 AM

Poll: » The 2023 tag removed !!! The wait isn't going to end

the_nitrostorm - Dec 10, 2023

33 by Garvinator »»
Jan 31, 4:24 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.