Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2021 6:02 PM

Apr 2012
The rules already describe many things that are not bad in themselves, but can easily lead to heated discussion and actual rule violations. So how about expanding them into problematic statements about characters or shaming users for their tastes?

Usually I am against this kind of thing, but I'm already tired of the constant conflicts where people are completely openly attacking the show because of the gender or sexuality of the characters, or trying to attack people because of their tastes or opinions.

For example, the discussions about Mieruko-chan are literally overwhelmed with people mocking everyone who complains about the fanservice. Some of the discussions on the new Aquatope contain both claims that the anime is supposed to get worse if it focuses on lesbian relationships, and accusations of homophobia for those who do not like to watch yuri. And I won't even talk about the permanent flame over all-female show.

I am not asking for tougher banning policies or for preventing people from discussing anything, but this is becoming too frequent.
Oct 25, 2021 6:31 PM

Oct 2010
I think the problem here is how to define toxicity in the rules. Because what you describe is toxicity, but it can have many forms and not all of them are contemplated by the forum rules (and makes sense, because how do you define something that does not use inflammatory language or goes off-topic but still creates an environment of confrontation with other fans?). In the end the staff can act on posts that are blatantly against the rules, and if anything they will tell people to use the alternative options like the ignore button and avoid getting caught in shitstorms.
Oct 25, 2021 6:37 PM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
I think the problem here is how to define toxicity in the rules. Because what you describe is toxicity, but it can have many forms and not all of them are contemplated by the forum rules (and makes sense, because how do you define something that does not use inflammatory language or goes off-topic but still creates an environment of confrontation with other fans?). In the end the staff can act on posts that are blatantly against the rules, and if anything they will tell people to use the alternative options like the ignore button and avoid getting caught in shitstorms.

In my opinion, it is not so much toxicity as in a number of "endless" conflict issues that light up an infinite number of times due to the conflict of the issue and the participants involved in it.
Oct 25, 2021 11:17 PM

Apr 2015
So this is basically just a thread to get some rule to shut down those you don't agree with, got it.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 26, 2021 10:10 AM

Apr 2012
Tropisch said:
So this is basically just a thread to get some rule to shut down those you don't agree with, got it.

If these people are using personal attacks and drive to the point of absurdity as a defense against other people's opinions (as you are doing now), then yes, I want to shut them up. I'm already pretty tired of the constant "I don't like Christmas trees - what, you hate all trees ?!" on forums.
Oct 26, 2021 1:08 PM

Apr 2015
RobertBobert said:
Tropisch said:

If these people are using personal attacks and drive to the point of absurdity as a defense against other people's opinions (as you are doing now), then yes, I want to shut them up. I'm already pretty tired of the constant "I don't like Christmas trees - what, you hate all trees ?!" on forums.

If you see my post as a "personal attack" go take a break from the forums. Did you forget the part in the Mieruko forum where people were insulted for liking the fanservice, or where you just selective of who you wanted silenced? You create threads like this every time people don't agree with you.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Oct 26, 2021 1:14 PM

Apr 2012
Tropisch said:
RobertBobert said:

If you see my post as a "personal attack" go take a break from the forums. Did you forget the part in the Mieruko forum where people were insulted for liking the fanservice, or where you just selective of who you wanted silenced? You create threads like this every time people don't agree with you.

Does this somehow justify people who attacked everyone who complained about fanservice, accusing them of asexuality, virginity, hypersensitivity, etc.? These people even attacked me myself, although I said from the very beginning that I did not care and even criticized the very fact of such discussions. Even now, you continue this by trying to accuse me of non-existent criticism of the fanservice just because I generally mentioned inappropriate behavior on the part of its defenders. If I really would be my intention, then you only help me in this.
RobertBobertOct 26, 2021 1:17 PM
Oct 27, 2021 2:48 AM
Nov 2010
Literally everywhere on the internet is overwhelmed with a disdain for freedom, why expand it ? Block people you don't like, pretty much everywhere on the internet has that ever unused block button.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
57 seconds ago

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Yesterday

3 by traed »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 20, 2:02 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM

» Reply button should show text that will be quoted.

Euthymia_Gerv - Apr 15

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.