Forum Settings
Forums

What are Some Flaws in Your Favorite Anime? (Useless Thread #26)

New
Oct 22, 2021 2:46 PM

Dec 2020
Anyone with sensible taste can agree that there are flaws in pretty much every anime. No anime is perfect (except for Interspecies Reviewers) And it takes an even more of a respectable person to admit the flaws in their anime.

For me it's Attack on Titan. Of course I love it for the masterpiece it is but there were flaws in it none the less. The ex-arm level CGI in season 3 part 2 was probably some of the worse CGI I've seen. And the Studio change for the fourth season didn't really help AoT either. Of course, mappa did a pretty well done job with the animation and cgi considering the animators all had to do it at home during covid, but it still doesn't change the fact the WIT Studio is still pretty much untouched with its action animation.
And to you fellow aot fans, if you think that the season 4 animation is as good as WIT's, stop lying to yourself, we all have to take Ls someday. x)

As for attack on titan plot holes, I try to not critique any plot holes for airing or unfinished shows. I think Aot did a pretty good job showing everything (except for the things in the first part of season 4) up until this point, I just need to watch the finale before making any judgements.

Erebus_AkeldamaOct 24, 2021 8:42 AM

Oct 22, 2021 3:31 PM

Jun 2021
Re:Zero anime + web novel
1. The first 3 episodes are mid
2. The animation suffers badly in season 2 except for a few scenes
3. It's not long enough yet, I need more
4. Arcs 5 and 6 are not animated and probably will not be for a while because White Fox is in shambles
5. People like Rem more than Emilia
6. Some weird cut content like leaving out Al telling Subaru he's from Earth in season 1
7. They didn't make Regulus talk for long enough, and where is my 2177 word speech by Echidna, who cares if it would take like 5 straight minutes of her talking, I really wanted to hear it
8. I don't find this a problem but it gets absurdly gorey at times, like people getting chopped in half with intestines hanging out, fights where characters have bones sticking out of their arms. I think it adds to the experience a lot but some people probably don't like that.
9. Similarly, I don't find this a problem but some of the word walls are insane, I imagine a lot of people don't want to read Echidna talking for 2177 words or Regulus going on about people violating his rights for half an hour. I like it though.

Idk, I can hardly think of any flaws in the characters or story, shits just too fire man
Oct 22, 2021 3:50 PM

Oct 2010
we never see mikasa nude
we never see winry nude
the money scheme of N is total rubbish and can't work irl
karasu looks weird, in fact, all characters look bad from an art style pov
lord bähbem using the same voice in the chick's body makes no sense
why was kaworu surprised in central dogma? is the director's cut even canon or just some bad fanfiction because the real big shots from tatsunoko let anno master the creation of those cuts
the major appearing in panties at briefing and no one cares
Oct 22, 2021 4:25 PM

Jun 2019
Inuyasha:

- I wish episodes 99 - 193 were in the same handpainted cel animation as episodes 1 - 98 instead of converting to digital animation as was the commonplace convention around 2002, to preserve a greater sense of holistic continuity
- The last season, The Final Act, could and should have been at least 50 episodes instead of 26, especially because it comprises like 1/3 of the manga and it's very jarring pacing-wise switching from the much more meandering and relaxed pace of how the original 167 episodes were laid out to the last 26. It still is a phenomenal end which contains some of the best moments in the entire series, but longer would be better. Slightly less than the first quarter, or first six or so episodes, of the TFA feel particularly rushed
- Koga is one of my least favorite characters and Shippo can also annoy me at times, so I could stand for 2 - 3 of their centric episodes to be devoted to someone/something else

Haibane Renmei:

- The mysteries and lore could stand to be a little more fleshed out and explored by series' end, including an answer to some more questions, even if that's not really intended to be the point

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni/Kai:

- Just that in the first season, by the time you get to Shion's arc and how perspectives are handled, it can feel a bit repetitive in a negative manner in the sense that you're hoping it's not pointless and actually going to lead somewhere extremely worth it. You can feel a bit jerked around and taken for a ride at this point in the series while you're still in the dark, and while that's partially the purpose of the mystery genre to begin with, this can create a barrier of entry which will ensure many don't get past it to go on to see how amazing the series can become. It's not personally a real actual downside for me, but it's the only thing I can think of. That and the infamous handling of the ladder scene, but it's a quirk that's like a lovable scar or birthmark by this point.

Kenpuu Denki Berserk:

- Eminently obvious - The fact that it ended on a cliffhanger and never continued after the first season of only 25 episodes. It had the gall to have one of the most "Fuck you - read the manga!" style endings in all anime history which hasn't been resolved or rectified even 23 years later. The fact that its ending is so egregiously and even insultingly incomplete and it's still one of my few 10/10 series in my Top 5 tells you that if it went on to have another or multiple more seasons maintaining the same quality level or exceeding it, it would probably be Top 3 or who knows...

Serial Experiments Lain:

- Very inaccessible. One of the most inaccessible pieces of fiction I've ever watched and I've seen a lot of not just "weird" or cerebral anime or cartoons, but arthouse and experimental films of all kinds by this point. So much so that you can spend the majority of the time on your first viewing just hoping and praying everything is purposeful and will actually lead to something worthwhile and you're not just being conned or going to be massively letdown. This is a show which hinges on not only its ending, but how much more retroactively enjoyable everything is after nearing its end.

Noragami:

- Unfinished. The fact that there's no third season and every passing year since 2015 doesn't render it impossible, but lowers the likelihood.

Ergo Proxy:

- Aspects of the ending became a little rushed and convoluted and a little less cohesively powerful and impactful as a result even if they were still very much so, but just a notch below SEL levels. I believe the creator himself believed they were going to have at least three more episodes, but had to end it at 23. If this series had at least three to five more episodes, it would possibly be a 10, equal to or potentially even greater than Lain. The ending was just a little messy in parts.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu:

- I feel the characterization department is lacking since it takes an eagle eye's documentarian view which is very interesting and impressive, but doesn't allow you to emotionally connect with some of the characters as much - particularly Reinhard in the last 25% or so of the series. I felt more and more distance was put between his perspective and me as an audience representative.

Elfen Lied:

- It has the feeling of a lower production value B-movie-esque feature in the sense that the writing gets a little sloppy at times with a lot of intriguing plot threads raised then then are kind of abandoned or nothing much is done with them. I also feel this is a series which could benefit from a longer length, but when I hear the direction the manga went in, I actually don't want a second season anymore and am glad it is just 13 episodes, as while longer length gives them more opportunity to expand more and make things even better, I feel it is more likely the longer length will just give them the opportunity to screw it up more.

I think this show at times can be much better for what someone personally reads into and takes away from it after filtering it through their own interpretation than what it accomplishes on the surface at times. I've seen a lot of B horror movies after all and a lot have creative and thrilling ideas that can't be much further expanded upon beyond the seed of them due to constraints of budget and time. This reminds me of those in that way.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya:

- No third season which means the audience has been left to stew since 2009 (or 2010, if you count the film)
- Endless Eight monopolized far too much of and ended up kind of mangling season two

Mahoutsukai no Yome:

- Unfinished. No second season yet either released or announced/planned. This could be a 10/10 series for me if it went on to be much longer, and I don't say that lightly. As with Inuyasha, I could contentedly watch 1,000+ episodes of this.

Aku no Hana

- Unfinished. Needs a second season

Kodomo no Jikan:

- Unfinished. Needs a third season

Those are my big ones.

WatchTillTandavaOct 22, 2021 9:31 PM
Oct 22, 2021 4:44 PM

Oct 2021
Assassination Classroom

I can say trying to lead on the audience by saying you can save someone and then just killing them anyways is a bit stupid
Oct 22, 2021 5:16 PM

Jun 2017
Yu-Gi-Oh! - The duels are predictable, the minor characters are stated to be strong and important yet never get a win and really seem to just not matter, it's really cheesy and goofy, there's also a lot of blind luck and ass pulls.

Strawberry Marshmallow - It's pretty slow for a comedy. Some episodes can be pretty snoozefesty.

Azumanga Daioh - I can't think of any serious flaws, the opening sets it up to be a lot more bouncy and fast paced then it really is.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Oct 22, 2021 6:35 PM

May 2019
Texnholyze:
- It's a very special anime where I understand people dropping it due to its' immensely slow pacing, weird narrative structure, unconventional characters and heavy theming in existential nihilism.
- The first episode is very off-putting to many. The first dialogue takes place at 10-12 minutes into the episode.
- Needs 100% focus to grasp what is happening before your eyes.

I don't consider these points as flaws per se, but I understand why they can be considered as such.
yo
Oct 22, 2021 6:45 PM

Dec 2020
In Dr stone,the fight between kinro and magma was too drag.
Luffy vs hordy was full of flaws.
The season 2 of aot,EP 12 the well executed romance scene where we all thinking that both will kiss but we didn't get the chance to see it.

For your Information:

Oct 22, 2021 8:02 PM

Mar 2020
Of course it's about Clannad hehe

- Although I like the other characters stories/arcs, I think Nagisa could have had a lot more attention and development in the first season. She ends getting real importance just in the final arc, but at least it's the best of the first season

- Character design is a little bit outdated, I agree. (But the OST is pure magic, you gotta admit that)

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Oct 22, 2021 8:43 PM

Jan 2020
Gintama's silver soul part 1 season has average production in my opinion

Oct 22, 2021 9:09 PM
Jul 2018
I'm willing to admit that one of the detriments to me watching Naruto when I was young was the fillers. I feel like fillers were much worse back then since I didn't really know the distinction between canon and filler episodes. I remember I was watching the post-Sasuke Retrieval arc fillers of the first part of Naruto up until a point. But then I got bored and took a break from it. And even after the Pain Invasion arc in Shippuden, I took a break when it looked like it was going into filler. I will also say that the Fourth Great Ninja War was one of the least enjoyable arcs for me from the series. It was dragged on as most people have said. I also didn't care too much for Madara and Obito. Obito had one of the weakest motivations as a main villain for me. As for Madara, I feel like they teased and hyped him up too much to the point that I wasn't that interested when he actually appeared.
Oct 22, 2021 9:28 PM

Jun 2020
The slow pacing of Hunter x Hunter's Chimera Ant Arc at the beginning can be a huge turn off for some people. Zoldyck Family Arc was not good, probably the only arc in the show which I would call below average.

Attack on Titan's main cast isn't that memorable and I felt no emotional connection to them. As the only character which I actually liked in first three seasons is Erwin. Gabi, being second, who appears in the fourth season.

Steins;Gate is something which doesn't have any glaring flaws, maybe one can say that it got a little repetitive in the middle.

3-gatsu no Lion would have been better if it had more of Shogi in my honest opinion. The Bully Arc felt a bit dragged, still a great arc.

Even though I gave JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable a 10, it is meant for the whole JoJo franchise. JoJo, at least as an anime, is something which is really enjoyable but it doesn't have deeper themes as with the other shows mentioned above.

Oct 22, 2021 9:41 PM

Oct 2018
-The emotional climax of ef was the weak point of the whole series
-Made in Abyss had too many jokes about a robot boy's penis
-The themes in Fate/Zero were pretty bad, especially Kiritsugu preaching about saving lives
-Fruit Basket's characters were pretty inconsistent at times

Oct 23, 2021 2:05 PM

Nov 2008
2012's Natsuiro Kiseki was a very special show for me, but it suffered from "low budget animation/art errors" in later episodes and the first episode with two of the main characters bickering can be a bit much to get through, but it's nonetheless worth it.
Oct 23, 2021 4:19 PM

Dec 2020
AncientTroll said:
I think my favorite anime has some flaws.

I was about to say something about the lack of points of what flaws your favourite anime has… then I saw it was Gintama... you're good, have a nice day

Oct 23, 2021 7:59 PM
Amateur Reviewer
Jul 2016
Erebus_Akeldama said:
Anyone with sensible taste can agree that there are flaws in pretty much every anime. No anime is perfect (except for Interspecies Reviewers) And it takes an even more of a respectable person to admit the flaws in their anime.

For me it's Attack on Titan. Of course I love it for the masterpiece it is but there were flaws in it none the less. The ex-arm level CGI in season 3 part 2 was probably some of the worse CGI I've seen. And the Studio change for the fourth season didn't really help AoT either. Of course, mappa did a pretty well done job with the animation and cgi considering the animators all had to do it at home during covid, but it still doesn't change the fact the WIT Studio is still pretty much untouched with its action animation.
And to you fellow aot fans, if you think that the season 4 animation is good, stop lying to yourself, we all have to take Ls someday. x)

Gundam F91 is narritively a disater. Like sure let's turn 13 scripts plus all the ideas and concepts for a planned 50 EP show into a single movie.

But god damn is it well mad, endearing as hell and just wonderfully anime. Love that film๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚.
Oct 23, 2021 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
The touchiness between Naota and Mamimi (like when she nibbles on his ear and shit) was just really fucking weird I know the point of the series was to portray the raging hormone-induced mind of the adolescent but it just felt really unnecessary and kind of creepy.

Also ngl the "twist" with Haruko towards the end kind of sucked
Oct 24, 2021 7:14 AM

Feb 2016
Someday in the Rain is a terrible episode.

Candy Candy’s filler gets worse over time.

Urusei Yatsura is only good for 21 episodes.

Cardcaptor Sakura gets boring after she captures all the cards.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Oct 24, 2021 7:18 AM
Aug 2021
Hunterxhunter elongated Chimera Ant arc in the beginning with too much of exposition.
Oct 24, 2021 7:26 AM
Jan 2020
Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai's "rushed" ending.
Not necessarily my favorite anime but 86 is pretty overdramatic here and there.
Oct 24, 2021 7:36 AM

Nov 2020
Erebus_Akeldama said:
And to you fellow aot fans, if you think that the season 4 animation is good, stop lying to yourself, we all have to take Ls someday. x)
I agree that the animation was a downgrade but dude please E1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 15 and 16 had WIT level direction and animation. E11 had so many good Wallpaper worthy scenes.

My main gripe with SnK Anime is that-

- It cut out some pretty important scene from Reiner's past, and some of the warriors interaction and Willy-Magath interaction in Earlier episode of S4 but S4 was still pretty faithful in comparison to WIT. Also Grisha's small line from Zeke's Backstory was cut which is a shame as it adds so much character to Grisha. The line is-

- WIT studio Flanderized Mikasa's character, they skipped some of her key development.

- Some small but important part from Grisha's past were cut out.

- S3 P1's first half is terrible bc they cut out many characterization.

โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
You're going to be all right. You just stumbled over a stone in the road.
It means nothing. Your goal lies far beyond this. Doesn't it?
I'm sure you'll overcome this.
You'll walk again... soon.

โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•โ•
Oct 24, 2021 7:44 AM

Dec 2020
adnan_ said:
Erebus_Akeldama said:
I agree that the animation was a downgrade but dude please E1, 2, 7, 8, 11, 15 and 16 had WIT level direction and animation. E11 had so many good Wallpaper worthy scenes.

I agree. I think mappa did a good job with it. It just sucks to see alot of people being toxic about it. Did you know that people deadass sent death threats to mappa? Bruh, like what the heck? Yes, WIT set the bar stupidly high, but we're still getting a pretty good adaptation.

My main gripe with SnK Anime is that-

- It cut out some pretty important scene from Reiner's past, and some of the warriors interaction and Willy-Magath interaction in Earlier episode of S4 but S4 was still pretty faithful in comparison to WIT. Also Grisha's small line from Zeke's Backstory was cut which is a shame as it adds so much character to Grisha. The line is-

- WIT studio Flanderized Mikasa's character, they skipped some of her key development.

- Some small but important part from Grisha's past were cut out.

- S3 P1's first half is terrible bc they cut out many characterization.

As for the characters, I do agree with some of Reiner's past, but I'm wondering if they'll cover more things in the finale, so I'm holding my tongue until then.

Oct 24, 2021 7:45 AM

Mar 2020
Jojo : has so much plot holes.
Vinland Saga : Thorfinn's idiot behavior and has some janky cgi.
Oct 24, 2021 7:48 AM

Dec 2020
Trynalbe said:

I was going to comment on Vinaland Saga, but sinse their's going to be a second season I heard it's going to cover some flaws. And I don't thing Thorfinn's behaviour is a flaw, I think it's meant to be that way and then we see his character grow in the following season, sort of like with Eren, but not in a homicidal hitler mindset.

Oct 24, 2021 7:51 AM

Sep 2021
FMAB got over soon
Togashi Yoshihiro's laziness
AOT fandom
Oct 24, 2021 7:53 AM

Mar 2020
Erebus_Akeldama said:
Trynalbe said:

I was going to comment on Vinaland Saga, but sinse their's going to be a second season I heard it's going to cover some flaws. And I don't thing Thorfinn's behaviour is a flaw, I think it's meant to be that way and then we see his character grow in the following season, sort of like with Eren, but not in a homicidal hitler mindset.

I know, but still Thorfinn's behavior in season 1 really bugs me and yes, in season 2 till the following season, Thorfinn turned out to be a pacifist Chad.
Oct 24, 2021 7:53 AM

Oct 2021
Inuyashiki - some CGI scenes/models are not accurate in size.
Oct 24, 2021 7:57 AM

Dec 2016
Rose of Versailles, the animation is outdated though for it's time it's well animated.

Hunter x Hunter and Kaiji, the narrator is annoying at times

Psycho Pass the other seasons aren't that good

Monster too slow at times

Jojo, Part 1 is definitely the weakest part even though it's not bad

I can't think of anything now for the rest, so I guess they are perfect
ํ•œ ๋ฒˆ๋งŒ ์‚ด์ง€๋งŒ ์ œ๋Œ€๋กœ ํ•˜๋ฉด ํ•œ ๋ฒˆ์ด๋ฉด ์ถฉ๋ถ„ํ•ด์š”
Oct 24, 2021 8:15 AM

Feb 2021
Sure there will be flaws in every anime. These are the few flaws I noticed

Code geass: a few plot holes

Guilty crown :I dont need to tell

Dragon ball Z: Too much Dragging

Akame ga kill: The anime complete deviated from the manga after ep 19

Angel Beats : Anime was rushed and characters were not explained properly

Rurouni Kenshin: Third season was filler due to which the anime was cancelled.

Sola : most people dont know this anime so I wont tell anything about it
Oct 30, 2021 6:31 AM
Aug 2015
Classicaloid: the first episode is chaotic and the concept somewhat weird

Hypnosis Mic Rhyme Anima: like classicaloid, the first episode is chaotic as well and the plot is confusing (even for me who's into hypmic in some years)
Oct 30, 2021 6:46 AM

Jun 2021
For me it's Steins gate.. I know it's starting is a boring and pacing is slow.. But I still love the anime and it's still in my top 3..
Haven't found a good anime dialogue to copy yet!!

More topics from this board

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Yesterday

129 by EXCLMaker »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 3 hours ago

11 by Soap »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 9 hours ago

11 by TsutanaiFuun »»
12 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

90 by FFandMMfan »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you be in favor of tipping Crunchyroll for every anime you complete on their platform?

Dije - Yesterday

37 by TsutanaiFuun »»
14 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.