Forum Settings
Forums

What does it take to have "respectable opinion"?

New
Oct 22, 2021 7:57 AM

Apr 2018
Exactly as the title suggests. Do you go by the number of shows someone completes? How long they have been watching anime? Their taste?
Oct 22, 2021 7:59 AM

May 2020
I think it depends on the individual. Like if the individual themself is respectful then I’ll respect the opinion of that individual. But if the individual is a dick about their opinions I’m much less likely to respect it.
Oct 22, 2021 8:00 AM

Oct 2018
You can have seen one anime in your life and still have a respectable opinion about it. Just as long as their points aren’t random nonsensical ideas their opinion can be respectable.

Oct 22, 2021 8:07 AM

Aug 2019
as long as you aren’t a dick I think anyone can have a respectable opinion, but if a person is just toxic as shit it’s hard for me to take what they are saying seriously
Oct 22, 2021 8:09 AM

Feb 2013
when it comes to opinions it's all about how you word it mon
Oct 22, 2021 8:11 AM

Aug 2018
I guess if someone acted on their opinion and I could respect them for it then I'd consider it a respectable opinion., can't say I've given much thought though
_______I like rocks__
Oct 22, 2021 9:03 AM

Jul 2019
Like others said how you say things matters most of the time. But I can't help but look at the profiles and take everything into account when I see something dubious. I can't recall how many times what the person said didn't check out at all with what was on their lists and favorites. lol
Life is a despicable endurance race
Oct 22, 2021 9:07 AM

Jul 2007
I once visited the profile of some clown and their profile said something along the lines of "My taste is trash, so is yours."

That is like the most cringe statement anyone could say on this website. Anyone being so obsessed with taste in general is just a dork really and doesn't have an opinion worth sharing.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Oct 22, 2021 9:18 AM

Jan 2021
taste depends on the individual and what they perceive as taste.
Oct 22, 2021 9:22 AM
Community Mod
Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2019
Having a respectable opinion has nothing to do about how much and what you've watched but instead how well you can construct your opinion and what your opinion is based on.

edit: Plus how they act on their opinion or about other people's opinions
Oct 22, 2021 9:33 AM
Jul 2018
Not being an elitist is the main thing. They should be considerate of people's respective tastes. As far as experience, it doesn't really matter. Not everyone is going to be experienced with watching anime of various genres or watching every anime that's out there whether it's old or new.
Oct 22, 2021 9:35 AM

Oct 2013
Step 1: Know the difference between actual criticism and just shitting on something
Step 2:
Step 3: Profit
Oct 22, 2021 9:35 AM

Jun 2017
Only people who agree with my taste have a respectable taste, everyone else is a stinky poopy head >:(
Oct 22, 2021 9:36 AM

Sep 2018
The more anime you've watched and the broader is the range of genres of those anime, the better you understand your own taste (and thus the more I'll trust your opinion, even if our taste are extremely different).
Oct 22, 2021 9:36 AM
Jul 2018
Facts and deep meaning.............
Oct 22, 2021 9:40 AM

Jul 2020
I never judge an opinion based on the number of shows they complete. I respect all kinds of opinions, except if
1) They start to judge other's opinions by the number of shows
2) They start to go off topic trash talking someone's favorite which is completely unrelated to the original argument.
I only respect those opinions if they also respect mine.
EndlessMaria said:
I once visited the profile of some clown and their profile said something along the lines of "My taste is trash, so is yours."

That is like the most cringe statement anyone could say on this website. Anyone being so obsessed with taste in general is just a dork really and doesn't have an opinion worth sharing.

Seems like that person is just trying way too hard to be cool.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Oct 22, 2021 9:44 AM

Apr 2021
People with anime profile pictures don't have respectable opinions.
Oct 22, 2021 9:55 AM

Aug 2013
By MAL standards?

Making sense and not sounding like a drunken baboon trying to sound funny is enough for me. The situations seems to have improved but a while ago there were way too many polific reviewers more interested in appearing to be funny or witty than providing us interesting takes about the show.
Satyr_iconOct 22, 2021 10:04 AM
Oct 22, 2021 9:56 AM

Dec 2020
"It doesn't matter how trash the opinion is, if people agree with it, it is respectable." ~ Eren Yeager, maybe

Honestly, I'd respect someones opinion (who has seen a good amount of anime) if they put good points behind it. (preferably as objective as possible) Even if it's about hating on Attack on Titan, if they can back up their claims with solid, factual arguments, I would respect their opinion (then again, I haven't met a single person who's been able to do that. All of them are just haters and idiots. They just hate on it because they dislike it, which isn't a respectable opinion)

EDIT: this is why I respect the boys from Trash Taste, they all have different opinions and some of the most wildest takes, but they actually explain why it is with actual arguments, which is why it's respectable.
Erebus_AkeldamaOct 22, 2021 10:08 AM

Oct 22, 2021 9:57 AM

Dec 2020
Katou81 said:
Only people who agree with my taste have a respectable taste, everyone else is a stinky poopy head >:(

Preach it, King. My mans spitting straight facts.

Oct 22, 2021 9:59 AM

Sep 2008
knowledge and wording. and I don't mean manners.
shows completed and time plays a role imo but it doesn't equal with knowing your stuff.
I accept anyone's taste, even if I question it. bonus points if you've tried anime outside your comfort zone.
things I will never accept however:
not caring about visuals in visual media. why watch it at all? go read a book instead, I guarantee you that you'll have a better time.
saying anime is trash as a whole. esp if you spent a lot of time watching. it's just projecting your insecurity .
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Oct 22, 2021 10:04 AM

Dec 2020
Nirinbo said:
The more anime you've watched and the broader is the range of genres of those anime, the better you understand your own taste (and thus the more I'll trust your opinion, even if our taste are extremely different).

This I agree with. Which is why I say to most, "If you haven't seen more than 100 different anime series (not individual seasons) your opinion is invalid to me."

Yes, it seems like I'm saying "I'm too good for you, PEASANT!" and it does seem harsh, but it is true. It's like a President taking advice from a child that read a children's book about Abraham Lincoln in 2nd grade on how to run a country. Would he respect the child's opinions? No. He wouldn't even consider them. Because the kid lacks experience and knowledge on what really happens in the world.
Which is exactly like that on MAL. It's just the harsh truth.

Oct 22, 2021 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Depends on the tone the user uses to reply or post

If it's respectful then OK
If it's harsh it's better to avoid them
Oct 22, 2021 10:16 AM

Mar 2021
If the person presents valid sensible arguments in their opinion without being an asshole about it then its respectable for me.
Oct 22, 2021 10:26 AM

Apr 2020
A well-substantiated argument, plenty of knowledge on the subject, cultural awareness etc.
Oct 22, 2021 10:29 AM

May 2021
You have to be acknowledged by me. As an example, you can watch 1000 animes but if you still have Shingeki no Kyojin or any of my 1 score anime highly regarded then your opinion is probably invalid because you are unable to reflect upon the content presented and biased towards edgy intellectual dishonest messagery

Oct 22, 2021 11:06 AM

May 2020
I try to take everyone's opinion seriously and respectfully, unless they start writing something very different from a general perception just to sound cool and not giving any valid justifications of why they think so.
Oct 22, 2021 11:22 AM

Dec 2008
Dragevard said:
Exactly as the title suggests. Do you go by the number of shows someone completes?

No.
Dragevard said:
How long they have been watching anime?

No.
Dragevard said:
Their taste?

No.

You see, someone’s opinion generally speaking, would be taken into consideration whether the opinion makes sense or not. The respect matter isn’t important.

For example: One can make the argument that Yosuga no Sora is a compelling anime. Or Ghost Buster (2016) is a good movie. Or Trump is the best President America ever had.

It’s just who has the words, the critical terms to convince you that something is something, and of course he/she has to know better than any other in such realm.
Oct 22, 2021 11:24 AM

Aug 2020
Well yeah but the number of shows they watched come 2nd imo. It's all about how respectful they expressed them. That's the most important.

Erebus_Akeldama said:
Honestly, I'd respect someones opinion (who has seen a good amount of anime) if they put good points behind it. (preferably as objective as possible) Even if it's about hating on Attack on Titan, if they can back up their claims with solid, factual arguments, I would respect their opinion (then again, I haven't met a single person who's been able to do that. All of them are just haters and idiots. They just hate on it because they dislike it, which isn't a respectable opinion)
i do hate aot in fact.
Oct 22, 2021 11:29 AM

Dec 2018
I saw guy on this site who write at the bottom of his posts and threads "I'm a person of GREAT TASTE. If your pick isn't on here then it just means it's trash." From that moment I didn't respect his opinion.
ReegrezSNKOct 22, 2021 11:33 AM
Oct 22, 2021 11:32 AM

Mar 2015
You need to agree with my opinion to have a respectable opinion.
Oct 22, 2021 11:58 AM
May 2019
As long as they are not being dick I respect their opinions
Oct 22, 2021 12:57 PM
Mar 2021
how you articulate your opinions, mostly. A lot of people here and elsewhere on the internet are disreputable in their opinions not because of the substance of their opinions, but because they're incapable of communicating why they feel the way they do, and rely on tired words like "overrated" and "pretentious". If you can't articulate why you like or dislike something, generally people aren't going to find your opinions all that interesting. It doesn't start a conversation. It's fine if you're just casually exchanging opinions, but if you want respect for your opinions you have to learn how to elaborate. I would recommend reading movie or literature reviews by well-regarded critics for some pointers on how to talk about what you like and dislike in a more sophisticated way.

and to be clear, this is not about sounding smart - this is about communication and respect. If you want to be someone people look to for reviews and interesting thoughts, you have to be able to make people understand how you feel. Reviewing things is not an act of pure logic - it's an act of channeling your feelings into words people can understand. There are facts you can state about a work to give context, but 90% of what you say about any work of art will be your feelings, so it's really just a matter of trying to communicate them in a way that makes sense to others.

I would like to further directly attack people that are against the act of critique in general. The act of asking yourself "why did I like this?" or "why did I dislike this?" is obvious in its merits, isn't it? At least as a social exercise, so you can actually talk to people about your opinions in a way that creates conversations. but it's also valuable in knowing yourself. The stupidest, least sophisticated people don't understand themselves at all, and lash out whenever they're asked to try to introspect. This is really what it means to have trash taste, is to refuse to ever ask yourself seriously why you feel how you do. When that's the case, inevitably you express your opinions in the lowest common denominator way, often including factual errors, stereotypes, hacky overused language, meaningless descriptors, and ad hominem attacks on other people.

It's an endemic problem in nerd cultures - refusing to introspect. It really means you'll never develop your taste no matter how much you watch/play/listen to. It's not the watching that develops taste. You can watch a thousand anime and have trash taste still if you don't know how to talk about what you like and dislike properly.
Oct 22, 2021 1:03 PM

May 2009
Dragevard said:
ForumWhat does it take to have "respectable opinion"?
Exactly as the title suggests. Do you go by the number of shows someone completes? How long they have been watching anime? Their taste?
None of those, actually.

It's usually something like the following:

1. Does the person state their opinion in a level-headed, amiable way? Or are they gratuitously judgemental, insulting, etc.?

2. Is their opinion based on facts, is it limited in scope to their personal judgement and/or the bases upon which their argument lies, and do their conclusions logically follow from their bases? On the other hand, do they misrepresent anything, draw conclusions too sweeping, etc.?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Oct 22, 2021 1:20 PM
Jul 2018
If I recognize that the person has some basic empathy, understandings of other human beings and pays attention to what is happening in the plot etc. and they can explain why they (dis)like something, then I respect their opinion a lot.

It doesn't matter how many shows you have seen. You can watch in a year 50+ shows, while you are half brain afk and don't pay attention to the anime you watch, because you just marathon through them.
Oct 22, 2021 2:33 PM

Sep 2018
Broad knowledge on similar subjects is the #1 factor, I couldn't care less if they come across as aggressive in their opinion, imagine crying or getting offended over something like that.
Oct 22, 2021 2:37 PM

Feb 2020
Just watch u anime. Basic communication skills that doesnt sound like mocking.
But I highly doubt this is a good place for respectable opinion. Taking with ur friends irl people usually have have a much more respectable tone than on internet.

Also people expecting for valid explanation for others opinion are naive. There is cannot be a validation of a explanation which contradict ur opinion. It all about having a mindset to agree to disagree rather than expecting validity which will satisfy u. Thats what being respectable means
AdampkOct 22, 2021 2:49 PM
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Oct 22, 2021 2:40 PM

Mar 2021
the only respectable opinion is mine. the rest of you are all plebs who are not fit to lick my shoe
Oct 22, 2021 2:45 PM

Mar 2018
To have an opinion that isn't disrespectful for other people's opinion...because then it will be an opinion worthy of respect, especially if it's backed up by one or more arguments...
Oct 22, 2021 2:51 PM
Jul 2018
Every opinion is respectable as long as it's RIGHT.
Oct 22, 2021 3:02 PM

Nov 2019
It takes a gentlemen's talk to be respectable, but it's much easier to agree with the disagreement.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Oct 22, 2021 3:14 PM

Apr 2020
whether i respect them or not isnt rlly based on their anime taste, but I would prolly be less enthusiastic talking to them if they like shit like SAO and Mirai Nikki and Akame Ga kill and redo of healer, cuz that's just the opposite of my taste :I
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2021 3:44 PM

Oct 2013
The more shows one watches, the better. But just don't be a condescending prick and I'll respect you no matter what you watched.

I could talk a lot with folks who just watched AoT or something as long as they're cool
Oct 22, 2021 4:16 PM

May 2019
Your opinion is respectable when you can respect others opinions. What anime you enjoy or define as masterpieces doesn't matter in my eyes if you can justify why they're up there.
yo
Oct 22, 2021 4:48 PM

Oct 2021
I feel like having a popular opinion would make it hated by many,

So I guess bringing up fair points and saying "you're not wrong to like this series" is a way to make your opinion respectable at least. Just try to picture yourself in the person who has the opposite opinion's shoes
Oct 22, 2021 5:54 PM

Aug 2016
theres not such thing as a respectable opinion, just people you share a high affinity percentage.
:v
Oct 23, 2021 3:22 AM

Oct 2019
1.They must not be a dick
2. If they say overrated or underrated they should not simply leave it at that and explain why.
3. If they shit on a long anime but have only seen one or three episodes, respect - 1000
Oct 23, 2021 3:54 AM
Jul 2018
I don't care enough for this kind of crap.

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

66 by EastIndiaCompany »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

40 by Nemo_Niemand »»
7 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

12 by ShatteredSans »»
8 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
17 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.