Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

(Translation/Fansub) All abroad the (pirate) ship because netflix subtitles are atrocious

New
Oct 22, 2021 7:01 AM

Jul 2017
Im low key cancelling my netflix subscription, like holy shit bro imagine a multi millon dollar company that makes inferior content from just a team of randoms on the internet, this is literally retarded.

And by any means this doesnt mean pirate the show, just boycott netflix and support the producers by either buying blu ray, merch or any other platform that legally has komi san to stream
thanks for coming to my ted talk, id be glad if this thread doesnt get removed

^Netflix^

------------------

^Fansub^
Oct 22, 2021 7:17 AM
Mar 2021
I know right! Embarrassment!
Oct 22, 2021 7:23 AM
Jan 2021
I hate pirating, but I might have to on this one
Oct 22, 2021 7:27 AM

Feb 2021
Kitsune_089 said:
Im low key cancelling my netflix subscription, like holy shit bro imagine a multi millon dollar company that makes inferior content from just a team of randoms on the internet, this is literally retarded.

And by any means this doesnt mean pirate the show, just boycott netflix and support the producers by either buying blu ray, merch or any other platform that legally has komi san to stream

^Netflix^

------------------

^Fansub^
Its not the translator’s fault so don’t go after her, it’s that Netflix for some reason their media player doesn’t support adding these type of subtitles and so there’s nothing the translator can do.
Oct 22, 2021 7:28 AM
Jan 2021
This has me really worried about Jojo part 6 in December
Oct 22, 2021 7:29 AM
Dec 2017
never, subscribe to any localization subbing company at all.

Oct 22, 2021 7:31 AM
Jun 2021
When will we get English dub?
Oct 22, 2021 7:53 AM

Jan 2020
I'm guessing it's because Netflix's video player doesn't support this type of subtitles. Still sucks that the fansubs look better than the official subs though.
Oct 22, 2021 7:56 AM

Nov 2019
How does one "low key cancel"?

But yeah, netflix sucks.
Oct 22, 2021 8:38 AM

Aug 2016

Which fansub group did this one? I can't seem to find a good source for new episodes
Oct 22, 2021 9:23 AM

Jan 2021
Annsswer said:

Which fansub group did this one? I can't seem to find a good source for new episodes

Apparently Neuro C or Subs please or it can also be Nova works
Oct 22, 2021 9:28 AM
Mar 2021
How tf do u 'low-key cancel'.
You could 'low-key consider cancelling ' or 'might cancel'.
But its impossible to 'low-key cancel.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 22, 2021 9:37 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
nah, i'll still watch it on netflix, the experience on their player is much better than pirate sites and their servers are also much better. their subtitle work is pretty sub-par though, but this example doesn't really showcase this at all. instead it just shows that this sub group goes out of their way so kudos to them.
Oct 22, 2021 9:39 AM
May 2021
Can’t lie all these pirate websites r acc dogwater. The video is not even in full screen resolution so it’s like am watching an anime that was aired more than 15 years ago. So currently I am going to watch it on Netflix until I can find a good website.
Oct 22, 2021 10:34 AM

Apr 2021
This KLLED me when I saw it. I turned it into a meme and posted it on Reddit
My poor signature was removed because it “took up too much space”
Oct 22, 2021 11:32 AM

May 2021
Annsswer said:

Not related to your post , but your signature has one of the best moments of fruba ( I finished s3 today , so I’m reminiscing about it a lot )
If you are from South East Asia, then I request you, when you will start an anime, you search if it is available on Muse Asia and Ani-one Asia, before looking through piracy websites
Oct 22, 2021 11:49 AM
Oct 2017
Nice save by the "by any means this doesn't mean pirate the show"

Mf the anime is a netflix original, its not avalable legally anywhere but in netflix, so youre basically calling out for people to pirate it in plain site

But i get it, pirate websites are often better than these million/billion dollar streaming services, i remember when the last season of Attack On Titan was airing, i see the new episodes avalable in nice quality and nice subtitles in pirate website, and after like 3+ hours it airs on crunchyroll, even tho they say q 'episodes air after 1 hour of it airing in japan'
Oct 22, 2021 1:24 PM
Nov 2020
I'm just gonna bring up funimation too, their subs are pretty lackluster. They do a similar thing with the floating text in Love is War, they just put it in capitals and brackets, then mix it in with the spoken subtitles and it's a total mess
Oct 22, 2021 1:40 PM
Mar 2021
Are we complaining about the styling here or the actual translation? If is the styling then I can agree that Netflix’s 100% looks worse, however when it comes down to the translation I’d say that Netflix’s seems more accurate (from the Japanese that I know anyway).
Oct 22, 2021 2:47 PM

Jul 2017
betaweeb said:
nah, i'll still watch it on netflix, the experience on their player is much better than pirate sites and their servers are also much better. their subtitle work is pretty sub-par though, but this example doesn't really showcase this at all. instead it just shows that this sub group goes out of their way so kudos to them.

jas_samaaa said:
Can’t lie all these pirate websites r acc dogwater. The video is not even in full screen resolution so it’s like am watching an anime that was aired more than 15 years ago. So currently I am going to watch it on Netflix until I can find a good website.

Who said anything about pirate SITEs :)
Oct 22, 2021 2:53 PM
Jan 2018
Not the translators fault nothing they can do they can’t add additional subs on screen at once’s or move subs.
Oct 22, 2021 7:17 PM

Aug 2009
Madabing said:
Are we complaining about the styling here or the actual translation? If is the styling then I can agree that Netflix’s 100% looks worse, however when it comes down to the translation I’d say that Netflix’s seems more accurate (from the Japanese that I know anyway).
Tadano's past and their actual board conversation is left untranslated.

I dont know if that is the fault of the translator or editor but it is a big fucking issue.
Oct 22, 2021 9:33 PM

Jun 2019
Never subscribed in the first place. Why did you support this shit company in the first place.
Oct 22, 2021 10:39 PM
Jul 2021
ahoyyyyy welcome aboard pirates !

seriously tho that netflix machine translations allowed to do that translation job ?

and we are alll recomended pirate the anime because nexflix is bad, really bad at doing jp translations.
RedCobra75Oct 23, 2021 5:09 PM
Oct 22, 2021 10:45 PM
Jul 2021
Yeah I s
Kitsune_089 said:

^Netflix^

------------------

^Fansub^

Yeah for anime I support Fansubs. Netflix sucks for anime
Oct 23, 2021 10:37 AM

Jun 2021
Everyone can agree that Netflix needs to get there act together with this
Even if they have to cancel the weekly airing in order to fix this. At the moment this is atrocious.
Oct 23, 2021 11:04 AM
Mar 2021
MadanielFL said:
Kitsune_089 said:

^Netflix^

------------------

^Fansub^
Its not the translator’s fault so don’t go after her, it’s that Netflix for some reason their media player doesn’t support adding these type of subtitles and so there’s nothing the translator can do.
from where to watch this :/ tried on animix it's sub sucks too :/
Oct 23, 2021 1:30 PM

Jul 2008
First of all....loved the first episode.

I watched both versions, Netflix and Nova. Netflix captured the moments just fine. Did they get into all the detail of translating every single piece of Japanese thrown on the screen? No, but I don't deduct a huge amount for that. Some of the translations in the Fansub were nice to have, but weren't relevant. For example, "Thanks for picking up the eraser earlier" which was written on the chalkboard during the short montage. Did we need to know that? No...I'm not mad for not seeing that on Netflix

The fan sub is great, but I actually didn't like how the translations were handled when they were having the convo on the white board like in the screenshot. Putting the Sub text in line with the actual Japanese text, using that weird "chalk" font that was kinda hard to read was actually a little annoying. I thought Netflix, overall, handled this better for me. Just easier to read.

But the accuracy of the translations is a different story. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems the Fansubs did better. Or rather I preferred their translations
WILLs_Anime_Oct 23, 2021 1:35 PM
Oct 23, 2021 3:17 PM
May 2015
I don't agree. I'm fine pirating shows I don't really care about but I love the manga of this show and want the show to succeed. That means watching it on Netflix to support the show.
Oct 23, 2021 3:40 PM
Mar 2021
ssjokg said:
Madabing said:

I dont know if that is the fault of the translator or editor but it is a big fucking issue.

Ah this I did not know since I personally watch with Japanese subs and so in that case I expect for some things (like the board writing) not to have sub lines as there would be no need. My previous comment was based purely on the supplied screenshots.

Brushrop03 said:

I watched both versions, Netflix and Nova. Netflix captured the moments just fine. Did they get into all the detail of translating every single piece of Japanese thrown on the screen? No, but I don't deduct a huge amount for that. Some of the translations in the Fansub were nice to have, but weren't relevant. For example, "Thanks for picking up the eraser earlier" which was written on the chalkboard during the short montage. Did we need to know that? No...I'm not mad for not seeing that on Netflix

The fan sub is great, but I actually didn't like how the translations were handled when they were having the convo on the white board like in the screenshot. Putting the Sub text in line with the actual Japanese text, using that weird "chalk" font that was kinda hard to read was actually a little annoying. I thought Netflix, overall, handled this better for me. Just easier to read.

But the accuracy of the translations is a different story. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems the Fansubs did better. Or rather I preferred their translations

My Japanese is by no means perfect but idk as I said the Netflix translations do seem to be more accurate, with words like わかたっん derived from 分かる meaning “to understand”, 人 meaning “person/people” and 話す meaning “to talk”. Words such as 会話 meaning “conversation” however are not present. Again this is just based solely on this screenshot, maybe the fansubs are better in other scenes but from this I would say that in terms of pure translation accuracy Netflix is still ahead.
Oct 23, 2021 3:54 PM

Jul 2008
Madabing said:
ssjokg said:

Ah this I did not know since I personally watch with Japanese subs and so in that case I expect for some things (like the board writing) not to have sub lines as there would be no need. My previous comment was based purely on the supplied screenshots.

Brushrop03 said:

My Japanese is by no means perfect but idk as I said the Netflix translations do seem to be more accurate, with words like わかたっん derived from 分かる meaning “to understand”, 人 meaning “person/people” and 話す meaning “to talk”. Words such as 会話 meaning “conversation” however are not present. Again this is just based solely on this screenshot, maybe the fansubs are better in other scenes but from this I would say that in terms of pure translation accuracy Netflix is still ahead.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.
Oct 23, 2021 4:04 PM

Apr 2019
It is because of these things that I prefer fansub.
Oct 23, 2021 6:47 PM
May 2020
Yeah I waited because I thought good subtitles was important and assumed Netflix would have them. I’m glad a speak and read enough Japanese to get the gist of things anyway because there’s a lot I would have missed and probably a lot I still have.
Oct 24, 2021 12:19 AM
Mar 2021
Kitsune_089 said:

^Netflix^

------------------

^Fansub^

I thought netflix subs were bad but
Holy shit what the fuck is this
Oct 24, 2021 12:26 AM

Jan 2020
I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice this. And it's not just Komi-san, the subs on Haikyuu are just terrible too, but I hate pirating, so I might just stick to Netflix.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

218 by Carlos295 »»
Apr 16, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2021

127 by Woah_Originality »»
Feb 20, 9:38 PM

» Why are all characters so shallow? ( 1 2 )

Argonnant - Nov 3, 2021

51 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:59 PM

» Not very comedic… ( 1 2 )

sailorday- - Mar 1, 2022

87 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 16, 2:47 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

99 by Sanno12 »»
Jan 24, 4:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.