Forum Settings
Forums

Is it wrong to hold onto hope for something impossible?

New
Oct 21, 2021 4:37 PM
Dec 2017
As stated in the title, "Is it wrong to hold onto hope for something impossible?"

What do you think?

Oct 21, 2021 4:49 PM

May 2013
That's how it was with my 4 year relationship.

I held onto hope for 2 of those years. Tried to make it work out and failed. I would not say my time was wasted though since hope is ultimately a good thing.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Oct 21, 2021 5:39 PM

Jan 2019
I kinda agree with Nette. It's not wrong per say, because persistence is a valuable trait to have. But it's probably better to invest that optimism into something that will actually give results, if you can.
Oct 21, 2021 5:40 PM

Oct 2021
Yes, and no.

Depending on the situation, you have to hold onto hope even in the slimmest chance it will happen

But if it's something that is unrealistic in the sense of it can not happen, then no.
Oct 21, 2021 11:14 PM

Apr 2012
Idealism is good when it helps you get better, but you should never turn it into dogma.
Oct 21, 2021 11:37 PM
May 2018
"Hope is...comforting. It allows us to accept fate, however tragic it might be." — Yunalesca (Final Fantasy X).
Oct 22, 2021 12:07 AM

Oct 2021
This is a case-case basis. How impossible is that "something"?

Is it in a typpa way where you hope people soon can fly? or is it like something that CAN be possible but due to fear and uncertainty, makes it otherwise typpa way?

Imo (with regards to latter typpa way), seeing things that is impossible to happen is only in your mind. It's a limiting belief wherein you suppress yourself without even figuring out or trying something if it's deemed possible. It's only YOU who can answer if it's wrong to hope for something that seems impossible. There's a way perhaps, but it's in your hand to find THAT way to make the impossible, possible (if your desire is positive).

Hoping without action is a complete illusion.

BELIEVE you deserve it and the universe will serve it.
Oct 22, 2021 1:25 AM

Feb 2020
I know my mom was like this pretty bad. My family had tons of things we had to deal with though that you probably wouldn't believe for years and years and very few were willing to help us. I don't blame her though, it was out of desperation for the most part.
Oct 22, 2021 2:59 AM

Feb 2018
Depends on if it is doing harm than good. But hope is something that depends on your willpower and without it, you fall into despair quite easily

If you are a friend. Visit my profile to recommend me something to watch ( ^▽^)ψ__
Oct 22, 2021 3:33 AM

Jul 2016
what do you mean by 'wrong', in what situation is this "hope for the impossible" being applied to? you can sit here all day if you just ask for a general answer. but is it regarding universal laws, the existence of extraterrestrial brings, other species, relationships, different worlds, a different life, immortality, what? the discussion would depend on 'it'. sometimes, holding onto the hope of something impossible leads to the "impossible" being achieved. you know, throughout human history, there has been a ton of developments and creations that were thought to have been impossible; simply ideas that could not come into fruition. it is not usually by one single person that a previously thought "impossible" has come to life: there would most likely have been people who entertained this impossible and laid out groundwork or experiments in efforts to come closer to what is actually always changing according to our contemporary capabilities. what we consider possible now was considered impossible once upon a time. it is that constant holding onto hope for an "impossible" cure that in turn generates alike minds to share motivation in finding it, passing on their findings to the next generation and so on – never giving up on that hope. now, i'll introduce something more whimsical in nature. what about holding onto hope that you will one day find a completely devoted, loving, beautiful, never aging robo-waifu discarded in a dark alleyway. who does all the cooking, the cleaning, and your bidding 24/7 without asking for any other means of fulfillment? impossible now with our current technology. but for the shut-in dreamers who may be having a hard life letting go of your almost abysmal and pathetic hope, do not fret, it may be possible in the future! ...just perhaps not in your lifetime.
Oct 22, 2021 5:49 AM

Aug 2021
Okay, first of all, nobody should hope for something that is just unrealistic and truly impossible, and it depends to which extent it will never happen and what ability you have to bring about a situation with hope. I think there's nothing wrong with holding on to it, even if all sane ways looks blocked, start believing in miracles. If there's even a slimmest of the chance, it can happen

Oct 22, 2021 6:56 AM

Aug 2014

...If Madoka lived in the real world, she would be so naive. lol
Oct 22, 2021 6:58 AM

Jun 2021
yes. Sometimes giving up is the best thing to do. There is context for everything, but the impossible actually exists indeed, despite commercials, cheap motivational quotes etc. etc. I gave up soon my hopes of becoming a basketball journalist and in hindsight it turned out it would have been impossible. Without complaining too much i looked for another kind of career (bakery, food, restaurants) and stuck to it to this day, and it's always been satisfying since day one.
Oct 22, 2021 7:02 AM

Oct 2015
If you had a priori definite knowledge that it is truly impossible, then it'd be a fool's errand to hope. But we almost never have that in real life except for logical contradictions (so for instance, you shouldn't hope to be a married bachelor), therefore for non-contradictory things you can hold onto hope for as long as you can endure it.
Oct 22, 2021 7:15 AM

Jul 2013
You see, Hope is oftentimes a addictive drug.. More so especially in things that is impossible to achieve or have.

You hope that everything will work out eventually? You are just giving yourself and excuse to never giveup and that's will broke you bits by bits. But like I said since you put yourself into a rabbit hole of "Hoping". Its just gonna be cycle of hurting yourself and the more you keep prolong this hope the more you'll hurt in the end.

While hoping is not bad, you should give yourself a realistic limit on it. Don't be afraid to move on. Don't fall to the cheap "What if I keep trying / hoping" BS.

Life is not a shounen anime where everything will work out itself if you don't giveup

The point where the darkness lies
Is the place I hide my true self
Are you prepared to open your eyes?
Cause between those line is yourself
Oct 22, 2021 2:03 PM

Apr 2018
Crow_Black said:

What do you think?

You always ask these questions but never give your own opinion.
What do you think?
My taste is trash. So is yours.
Oct 22, 2021 2:25 PM
Dec 2017
SchizoidRonin said:
Crow_Black said:

What do you think?

You always ask these questions but never give your own opinion.
What do you think?

For me not really a good idea imo thats what i think.

Apr 11, 2022 4:00 AM

Jan 2017
Can't really say yes or no since it depends on context and what "impossible" actually means.

A lot of things can seem "impossible" for people especially if they are incredibly pessimistic or have low-self-esteem and thus "impossible" for one may be unlikely for another, likely to someone else and nearly guaranteed for another person.

If something is truly impossible or high unlikely it makes no sense to bet on it and at worst it's extremely unhealthy and dangerous.

I'd say a good example of unhealthy and dangerous "hope" for the impossible is expecting and dedicating money towards something like DOGE coin going to $500 whereas such a price is a near mathematical impossibility based on supply/market cap required to reach it.
Apr 11, 2022 6:37 AM

Aug 2018
Not at all. If you are dying from incurable cancer, it can give you comfort to hope that a drug will miraculously cure you.
Apr 11, 2022 6:49 AM

Jul 2016
I have a lot of hopes.
I hope my exes from MAL talk to me again.
I hope I can get both of my dream jobs some day.
I hope to have a harem IRL.
I hope I can sing for my favorite musicians.
I hope I start my blog posts this month.
Apr 11, 2022 10:32 PM

Aug 2015
Hope for the impossible is not hope; it is dreaming.

Without a plan you will not achieve the thing.

You will not plan the acheivement based on a dream, but you will with hope.

Therin is the difference.

Divide the thing into 10 steps, then each step, divide in to 10 actions.

One step at a time.

If it isn't worth it, then you won't bother.
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
Apr 12, 2022 12:41 AM

Sep 2017
Yup, as PoruMairu pointed out, hope without any plan to act on is a bit meaningless.

It's just praying, that's all.

N boy said:
Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.

The key is to act according to your will, hoping to succeed, but being strong enough to accept failure and move on.

Just don't stay idle hoping, that'll just torture you for nothing.

Having expectations is a mistake in my opinion. You rarely can predict the result of your actions in life, but when you enjoy the moment not thinking about those, usually there are lots of interesting things happening to you, bad and good, experiences you could never predict.

You'll have better chances of reaching high grounds if you're not obsessed about the summit, but focused on your next simple step.

Let go of the idea of far fetched dream that seems impossible.

Just don't stop moving, and you'll get somewhere.

Apr 12, 2022 12:56 AM

May 2013
What kind of a loaded question, one of those paradoxes lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 12, 2022 1:02 AM

Sep 2021
No way...
No point in holding onto hope. It eventually leads to a hurtful road.

No hope, no disappointment.. works beter that way
Apr 12, 2022 10:18 AM

Dec 2008
Crow_Black said:
As stated in the title, "Is it wrong to hold onto hope for something impossible?"

What do you think?

Well… for example: it’s impossible to hold on hope. Hoping that Activision will remake Vigilante 8, because the motherfuckers do only CoD.

It’s impossible for me to hope buying the LG Z1, because it’s ridiculously expensive.

BUT…

It is good to hope that soon I will:
- Own house
- Lose weight and build body
- Buy new 20XX Honda Accord Hybrid EX-L
- 2017 HD Softail Slim S
- LG G2 (83” or 97”)
- Dell R13

and many other shit
Apr 12, 2022 10:32 AM

Jun 2020
I've seem what seemed like a mere delusion become reality, more than once. So i'll dream and i'll hope, and i'll beat the shit out of those who say i'm wrong for doing so.
Apr 12, 2022 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
It's very unhealthy. More you cling to idea that won't happen the more just make yourself lonely and sad.
Apr 12, 2022 8:53 PM

Feb 2021
It's not wrong under certain circumstances, but I do believe it's bad since it is essentially blind optimism, which makes one unwilling to confront the reality in the face of common sense; seems counterproductive.
Apr 12, 2022 10:25 PM

Nov 2020
Not really but at some point you should honestly really stop holding onto hope mainly for your mental well being. It’s nice to hold onto hope but there is a point where you should just be realistic because holding onto hope will probably do more harm then good.

For example I currently am trying to teach myself python rn to try to get into computer science even though I am fully aware that my stupidity and my skill set will probably never achieve it. I know it’s not wrong but at some point I’ll have to be realistic and just move on from that because not everything is achievable.
If there's a hole there's a goal-Master Oogway
Apr 13, 2022 7:09 AM

Mar 2008
How does one even know if something hoped for is truely impossible? For starters impossible doesn't even exist in a scientific sense. Rather what is called impossible is actually something highly improbable because we can not know the true nature of reality only attempt to understand it.

Beyond that though you never can know for certainty whether something truely is impossible or just feels that way. You can't know something is impossible unless you were somehow able to see in every possible timeline tree of every way things could go and because that you do not know which way things will go.

So impossible isn't even a possibility as far as our human understanding can go.

More topics from this board

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

69 by Sorachin »»
4 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

9 by LoveYourEyes »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 3 hours ago

6 by Maou_heika »»
34 minutes ago

» Manga piracy website operator ordered to pay ¥1.7 billion to publishers

Meusnier - Apr 19

23 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

312 by DesuMaiden »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.