Forum Settings
Forums

The homosexual character hitting/flirting on the MC cliche

New
Oct 19, 2021 4:21 PM

Sep 2018
After watching takt Opt Destiny episode 3, we are introduced to such a character. Japan sure seems to love this one lol, just why does it seem like every fricking gay character loves to do this sort of thing? Making them feel quite uncomfortable, being all creepy and the like. But hey, at least the gay community is getting represented amirite?

Is it simply comic relief, or have you had enough of this misrepresentation? What exactly is Japan saying?
Oct 19, 2021 4:23 PM

Sep 2018
I just consider it comic relief though I get why some people may consider it offensive.
Oct 19, 2021 4:28 PM

Aug 2021
I consider this character part of the protagonist's harem.
Absurdo_NOct 19, 2021 4:31 PM

Oct 19, 2021 4:29 PM

Oct 2018
There's a lot of questionable cliches in anime, and this one doesn't happen much and I don't get that bothered by it when it does

Oct 19, 2021 4:48 PM

Mar 2008
Well the straight characters often are portrayed as creeps too so I wouldn't say it's too offensive because of that so just attempt at comedy but depends. Some instances it may be meant to be seen as playful joking around rather than always a serious pass attempt which ive had a bi friend flirt with me for that reason so that's a thing. Though sometimes I do wonder if that's how they actually see gay people as a whole idk.
Oct 19, 2021 4:58 PM

Apr 2018
It will depend on how the viewer takes it, but many characters, regardless of their orientation, are portrayed with tropes in every possible way within the anime. Homosexuals are not the only ones.

You and the rose are connected. Know the weight of your own life
Oct 19, 2021 9:51 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
I hate not because it's offensive, but because it's annoying.
Oct 19, 2021 9:55 PM

May 2021
if a gay character is not being gay 100% of their time then why would you make em gay am i right? u heteros wouildnt know it smh

Oct 19, 2021 9:57 PM
Dec 2017
Its just a stupid trope imo annoying but i don't lose sleep over it.

Oct 19, 2021 10:01 PM

Oct 2017
it'd be cool if there was one that wasn't portrayed as creepy
Oct 19, 2021 10:08 PM

Mar 2016
Y'all really be finding anything to complain about these days
Oct 19, 2021 10:11 PM

Jun 2020
I am homophobic so I am not comfortable with that, but if the gay community thinks it's offensive or they are misrepresented then I respect their opinion. I usually avoid yaoi and stuff but if that trope is present in non-yaoi anime then I just ignore that part and focus on the rest of the plot. I am not in a position to tell whether that is acceptable or not in anime, it's upto everyone who watches it, we should remember that whatever happens in anime is not the 100% reflection of real life.
Oct 19, 2021 10:13 PM
Jan 2020
I tend to ignore it but it does get annoying imo
Oct 20, 2021 12:22 AM

Mar 2015
What's the point of putting in such a tease if the mc is gonna end up with some basic girl anyways...
Oct 20, 2021 12:24 AM

May 2016
Isn't it based in San fran? What do you expect lots of fa.... gays there.
Have you never seen a video of their parades? They literally go in public naked.
Oct 20, 2021 1:22 AM

Sep 2018
It's just one of those old tropes that don't really make sense anymore in 2021. Just like guys who like crossdressing without any good reason. It's not even funny or interesting in any way.

For once I have to agree with the American woke culture.
Oct 20, 2021 6:01 AM
Jul 2018
I think it's an attempt at comic relief. Although it could be an indirect message about a creator's stance on gay people. But I don't really know. I don't know much about Japanese culture. But either way, it's just a stereotype like any others. I usually ignore it.
Oct 20, 2021 7:13 AM

Mar 2012
It's not funny, I find it annoying if at all anything.
Oct 20, 2021 7:23 AM

Apr 2021
Bruh you really complaining about a single piece of dialogue. Get a better hobby. It's better than the pretty boy supporting character with blonde hair who is not really gay but would bend over for the MC trope...
Oct 20, 2021 9:31 AM
Jun 2016
Lincanfer said:
I am homophobic
What? Why? You shouldn't be afraid of people just because they are different.

I think the trope is annoying but not that bad really. For example the gay guy in Gurren Lagann does get some light hearted hostility from some characters but in the end he saves the day a couple of times and is good. I know some people hate the trope though.
Oct 20, 2021 9:45 AM

Sep 2017
Outside of shounen ai, it's quite rare to find a well-written gay or even LGBT character (sadly)

I'm pretty used to that trope now, it's kinda tiring whenever a character like that appears on screen (mostly because the character itself is portrayed as annoying) but you have to deal with it
Oct 20, 2021 10:13 AM

Jun 2014
I don't really care, as I'm no longer interested in anime boys.

Oct 20, 2021 11:26 AM

Mar 2012
Damuzen said:
Outside of shounen ai, it's quite rare to find a well-written gay or even LGBT character (sadly)
Since when did shounen-ai have well written gay characters!? These semes sexually abuse and rape those poor ukes.
Oct 20, 2021 11:38 AM

Oct 2021
Gween_Gween said:
if a gay character is not being gay 100% of their time then why would you make em gay am i right? u heteros wouildnt know it smh

idk they made Griffith do gay 4 pay

also dramatical murder was supposed to be super gay but it was made only slightly gay which pissed off both the yaoi haters and yaoi lovers

so maybe you're onto something.
Oct 20, 2021 11:41 AM

Sep 2017
Maou_heika said:
Damuzen said:
Since when did shounen-ai have well written gay characters!? These semes sexually abuse and rape those poor ukes.

Characters in Doukyuusei and Given are pretty well written for example, can't say the same thing about other anime like Junjou Romantica for example
Oct 20, 2021 2:28 PM
Jul 2018
I like how it was used in Speed Grapher, to make the mc look so badass and desirable even men want to fuck him. lmao
Oct 20, 2021 2:58 PM

Aug 2017
I'm indifferent now but if you look at anime produced during the 80s, it was kinda worse. But I don't care much if you ask me. They're much better than western animation where they literally use my sexuality as a political tool or his whole character is based on that. Also, at least gay guys look hot in anime.
NurguburuOct 20, 2021 3:06 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 20, 2021 3:20 PM

Apr 2012
It all depends on the context. For example, I loved the Yaranaika joke in one of the recent shows, but at the same time Uramichi Oniisan seemed somewhat homophobic with their classic jokes about flirty "ugly queer men".

Nurguburu said:
I'm indifferent now but if you look at anime produced during the 80s, it was kinda worse. But I don't care much if you ask me. They're much better than western animation where they literally use my sexuality as a political tool or his whole character is based on that. Also, at least gay guys look hot in anime.

I still remember how Ranma spent its enormous lesbian potential on homophobic jokes like "ugh, he could have been kissed by another guy!".
Oct 20, 2021 4:25 PM

Jul 2015
GakutoDeathGlare said:
After watching takt Opt Destiny episode 3, we are introduced to such a character. Japan sure seems to love this one lol, just why does it seem like every fricking gay character loves to do this sort of thing? Making them feel quite uncomfortable, being all creepy and the like. But hey, at least the gay community is getting represented amirite?

Is it simply comic relief, or have you had enough of this misrepresentation? What exactly is Japan saying?

Speaking from experience, gay guys can be real creeps. They're still men after all.
Oct 20, 2021 5:08 PM

Aug 2017
scruffs said:
GakutoDeathGlare said:

Speaking from experience, gay guys can be real creeps. They're still men after all.

True. It's less controversial among us since we are both men. Normally, we don't care much about it since we are a bunch of perverts when we're horny lol. Some don't like it but they're still a minority, discrimination between us still exists but depends of the group. We aren't very different from straight guys. People forget we're still men after all.

But I respect straight guys, I'm not going to be a creep around them if they don't want except if some of them are just curious. Of course, we are attracted to straight guys but we don't force them at least in my case.
NurguburuOct 20, 2021 5:21 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Oct 21, 2021 5:31 AM

Mar 2018
I don't care and I don't think Japan wants to say something, but just to add another ship to the series to get more popularity and create some BL bait to increase the sells...
...KyoAni does this all the time with the female characters, creating Yuri moments without actual romance in the series...
Oct 21, 2021 5:33 AM

Jun 2020
Sonwig said:
Lincanfer said:
I am homophobic
What? Why? You shouldn't be afraid of people just because they are different.

I think the trope is annoying but not that bad really. For example the gay guy in Gurren Lagann does get some light hearted hostility from some characters but in the end he saves the day a couple of times and is good. I know some people hate the trope though.

It's not like I want be afraid of them. It is easy for others to ask, "why are you afraid of them?", Yup and I get it, because even if there are other types of phobia such as Acrophobia, aquaphobia etc. Most of them are not related to humans so they are socially accepted and I am trying to overcome homophobia. I will make it clear just in case, I don't hate them, I respect them like others, I am just afraid of them and for your question "why am I afraid of them?"
I don't know. It's my natural reaction.
Oct 21, 2021 6:13 AM

Oct 2010
I disliked it because it was so repetitice but I developed antibodies so I don't care anymore
Oct 21, 2021 6:24 AM

Feb 2021
I first used to disliked it.
But now after seeing that many times, I think that it is funny
Oct 21, 2021 6:39 AM

Nov 2019
I've never really seen any gay character in anime outside of Banana fish. YOI, Given and Umibe no Etranger. So far I dont think they are bad at all since almost all of them represented in the stated anime were well written and nothing was too forced but I dont know how the lgbt community inteprets shounen ai. As for Shoujo ai, I really enjoyed Bloom into you and love the yuri moments in other shows whenever shown like that one scene in Clannad.
Oct 21, 2021 6:50 AM

Jul 2021
Well, I don't really mind at all but it does get annoying sometimes haha
Oct 21, 2021 7:24 AM

Mar 2012
Damuzen said:
Maou_heika said:

Characters in Doukyuusei and Given are pretty well written for example, can't say the same thing about other anime like Junjou Romantica for example
I didn't like Doukyuusei, they were too horny, one of them literally put his hand up the other's shirt in a public place no less and there is also a kiss scene where the guy says NO but he still kisses him. Given TV series was good but in the movie Akihiko sexually assaults Haruki and they way they tried to make it look consensual was pretty bad. Not to mention these two series which are considered better are outlies and not the norm in BL. The genre is at a point where you literally need to praise the series if the author writes a gay character as a decent human being even if plot wise the story doesn't stand out. I've tried around 13 BL series ended up dropping most of them because they had sexual assault or rape at some point, worst part is these things are romanticized.
Oct 21, 2021 7:52 AM
Sep 2017
Lincanfer said:
I am homophobic

Well, that's kind of an awful thing to just freely admit online.

Anyway, yeah, I'm not a huge fan of this trope. I'm queer and I feel that it's a pretty mean-spirited and ignorant way to write queer characters. Most of the time I don't really lose sleep over it, but sometimes it gets too egregious for me.
Oct 21, 2021 11:03 AM
Jan 2019
Maou_heika said:
Damuzen said:

I didn't like Doukyuusei, they were too horny, one of them literally put his hand up the other's shirt in a public place no less and there is also a kiss scene where the guy says NO but he still kisses him. Given TV series was good but in the movie Akihiko sexually assaults Haruki and they way they tried to make it look consensual was pretty bad. Not to mention these two series which are considered better are outlies and not the norm in BL. The genre is at a point where you literally need to praise the series if the author writes a gay character as a decent human being even if plot wise the story doesn't stand out. I've tried around 13 BL series ended up dropping most of them because they had sexual assault or rape at some point, worst part is these things are romanticized.
You mean BL anime in this case? Because BL manga in general has come a long way over the years from presenting or covering up rape as not rape. BL anime is still pretty weak in the department of stories on the level of quality as others, but it's getting there. I'd argue that rape isn't even a taboo as much in itself if they show it as this gruesome thing it is, but romanticization as you mentioned.
Oct 21, 2021 11:17 PM
Sep 2021
Why are people watching Takt op how are you guys liking it. Well it's your taste and idk
Oct 21, 2021 11:24 PM

Jul 2016
Nirinbo said:
Just like guys who like crossdressing without any good reason. It's not even funny or interesting in any way.
without any good reason... is crossdressing because you simply want to not allowed or something? or do you need to have some sort of grand statement behind to accompany it? i'm just curious.
Oct 21, 2021 11:54 PM

Sep 2018
Cazqui-09 said:
Nirinbo said:
Just like guys who like crossdressing without any good reason. It's not even funny or interesting in any way.
without any good reason... is crossdressing because you simply want to not allowed or something? or do you need to have some sort of grand statement behind to accompany it? i'm just curious.

I meant to say that the crossdressing trope is almost always used as a superficial characterization, without caring about the theme of gender identity at all.
Oct 22, 2021 12:02 AM

Jul 2016
Nirinbo said:
Cazqui-09 said:

I meant to say that the crossdressing trope is almost always used as a superficial characterization, without caring about the theme of gender identity at all.
oh, i had mistakenly thought you moved on from the topic of tropes in anime/media to direct it at male crossdressing in real life. i think i was influenced to that misunderstanding due to the last sentence where you mentioned american woke culture. my apologies, i understand what you mean now.
Oct 22, 2021 5:48 AM

Oct 2013
I think it's both.

Well, it's not really a trope I like either. Either make them normal characters, or don't do them at all.

More topics from this board

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 2 hours ago

19 by I_Love_Hate »»
54 seconds ago

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

58 by IndienRock »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » How many characters from MAL top-100 do you know and what is your opinion on them?

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

7 by Zayvex »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Which season of Mob Psycho 100 do you guys prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 55 minutes ago

4 by Nirinbo »»
16 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

72 by Anasyub »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.