Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Oct 16, 8:23 PM
Personally I love HunterXHunter
It increased my standards too high, that my ratings used to be like this Masterpiece, Great, Good, Mid, Bad and most popular Shounen like Naruto came into Good category. (This was before I created an account)

After reading Berserk, my standards increased even further and almost everything else looked Mid except few like Cowboy Beebop , Evangelion and FMAB

Finally, the Greatest of all time. When I completed reading Steel Ball Run Manga not only my standards increased to such a high level that even the Best Anime of the year would look like Mid in comparison and even the greatest highly critically acclaimed Masterpieces including even Breaking Bad and Sopranos, then Legend of Galactic heroes, FMAB, One Piece Manga etc, would all look like GARBAGE in comparison. I was forced to change my rating system and stop comparing everything to Steel Ball Run because it's an experience that only few people would cherish, as its beyond the level of Masterpiece. Even Attack on Titan which used to be Great for me, looks bad in comparison. I even decreased my ratings and now it got negatively skewed, but I decided to be a little merciful and not decrease the rating not less than 6/10.
So this was my experience.

Did any Manga or Anime raise your standards so High that everything else looked like Mid or Garbage in comparison?

Modified by removed-user, Oct 17, 10:17 AM

Oct 16, 8:34 PM

Watch Ex-Arm your standards will be back to normal.
Well, I usually watch anime from what most people call mid tier so my standard haven't changed, even if I watch high rated anime, it won't affect me that much.
Usually for me average rated anime is more enjoyable than high rated with few exception.

Oct 16, 8:37 PM

I feel that the more anime you watch; the more cliches you notice in other series. Beyond that, you have more references then on what is average. Stuff like Hunter x Hunter does increase some standards though.

Oct 16, 8:47 PM

I always keep an open-minded towards the anime I watch. I feel like the more critical and selective that people become about anime that can share the same scores as their favorites, the less that they enjoy any anime they watch because they're always looking for a similar experience. I like to judge each anime by their own merits.

Oct 16, 8:48 PM

Something like Ping Pong the Animation, which is perfect in basically all aspects. Because I know it will be harder to keep a perfection the longer a series is.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"

Oct 16, 8:55 PM

Neon Genesis Evangelion and One Piece

Oct 16, 8:57 PM

After watching Yosuga no Sora I realized nothing would ever be the same I literally cried almost every episode

Oct 16, 9:07 PM

After watching many shonens i realized no shonen could ever reach the level of the masterpieces that are One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball Z.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Oct 16, 9:09 PM

Berserk and Blame make almost any manga look like a cute joke

Oct 16, 9:48 PM

People like you influencing are worse than scum

Oct 16, 9:50 PM
jrxzma said:

不不不 Understandable have a nice day
This post wasn't even for you guys
Why post in forums when you've watched probably only 60+ Anime

Oct 16, 9:53 PM

"Toradora! is the best romance anime!!"
"But can it beat Komi-san? *smirk face*"

Kind of something like that.

your mom > you

Oct 16, 9:53 PM

Hunter x Hunter and Berserk. But series like Monster and Evangelion were also a lot of help.

Oct 16, 9:54 PM

Aerosmith224 said:
jrxzma said:

I agree .
It looks fun reading this stuff.
Well.
Modified by jrxzma, Oct 16, 10:02 PM

Oct 16, 9:55 PM

I guess watching more anime in general "increased my standards". You come to appreciate the works of said anime/manga/whatever and it's nice to have something to compare to, but even though there's something that's superior than other anime's, how are you suppose enjoy other stuff when you can't separate it from that superior one? Yeah "it doesn't hit as good as my favorite anime", but that's the whole point of good, average, and bad shows. Your favorite(s) exist for a reason. Idk, I don't really find myself comparing anime's where it affects my rating or enjoyment. I have a favorite anime of all time, but I never really compare it to other anime's and say "this isn't like so, and it's bad". Enjoy anime for what it's worth and remain open-minded. I tend to treat each and every anime (that interests me) on their own respective islands.
“The past makes you wanna die out of regret and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.” – Hachiman Hikigaya

“The present isn’t everything, but there are things you can only do now, things you can only find here. It’s now or never.” – Shizuka Hiratsuka

Oct 16, 9:55 PM

Aerosmith224 said:
jrxzma said:

Dude has Demon Slayer and Black Clover in his favorites. So ofc you can expect him to be triggered.

Oct 16, 9:56 PM
You make bold claims about the state of anime but the basis of it are two series that are the same untaxing, inoffensive, easy to digest wide-appeal shows for teens-young adults as most everything else being made. The same applies to the rest of the tween media and mainstream ips you mention yet you act as though you have a taste for the avant-garde that is left unsated by the underperforming shounen series plaguing the industry. You've barely dug into the medium and any attempt you may have made has likely been wasted since I have no confidence your mind has matured enough to recognize the nuances that exist beyond of all things hunter x hunter and steel ball run. Please hop off of this website underaged.

Oct 16, 9:56 PM

well I certainly haven’t had a single series ruin the whole medium of anime for me, but after watching a good amount of the seasonals from the past couple years I have noticed I have begun using scores above 7 more lenient

Oct 16, 9:59 PM

The_Villian_X said:
Aerosmith224 said:

Dude has Demon Slayer and Demon Slayer in his favorites. So ofc you can expect him to be trigerred.

Ahhhhhh!
Well.
I really don't mean that, really.
I just commented in funny way.

M' not triggered though
I agree all your thoughts.

Oct 16, 10:04 PM
TeenSatisfaction said:
You make bold claims about the state of anime but the basis of it are two series that are the same untaxing, inoffensive, easy to digest wide-appeal shows for teens-young adults as most everything else being made. The same applies to the rest of the tween media and mainstream ips you mention yet you act as though you have a taste for the avant-garde that is left unsated by the underperforming shounen series plaguing the industry. You've barely dug into the medium and any attempt you may have made has likely been wasted since I have no confidence your mind has matured enough to recognize the nuances that exist beyond of all things hunter x hunter and steel ball run. Please hop off of this website underaged.

Pot calling kettle black
All your favourites fandom have a huge Elitist demographics.
Also I've watched 1000+ Anime over 2 decades

Oct 16, 10:10 PM

I wouldn't say my standards are high, the only type of show that I can't watch and whine while watching is cheap isekai.

Oct 16, 10:17 PM

For lack of a better term, I don't feel like I have been jaded by anime yet. Sure, I don't like my hero academia anymore, but I don't think it's because of my standards rising. It's more like me finding my niche.
When you say stuff like HxH, Berserk, and Steel Ball Run raised your standards, it sounds to me that these stories were really "high quality" or something like that. However, I don't care for "high quality" stuff. Sure, I believe that my favorites are masterpieces, but there have been cases where I could feel that the show was extremely well-crafted, but I just didn't care (FMAB for example). I just drop those.
However, I don't think that I've experience many "chart toppers" in my life. I've watched WataMote rather early in my anime watching career, and it's still my favorite, but I don't think that ruined many experiences watching other anime.

Oct 16, 10:18 PM

My standard is still pretty low, but compared to when I started watching (back when wouldn't rate anything lower than 8) my standards have increased quite a bit. The shows which did this are hxh, ping pong the animation, monster, 3-Gatsu no lion.

Oct 16, 10:22 PM

Gintama season 4 did a little bit as an example of a perfect sequel
I love One Piece and Gintama

Oct 16, 10:23 PM

My standard is already too high for shit like Huntrash x Garbage.

Oct 16, 10:31 PM
I always pick one garbage show from each season to keep my standards in check. Usually a trashy isekai or power fantasy that I can just turn my brain off to and watch. As some random dude I saw on youtube one time said, you have to experience the lows to appreciate the highs

Oct 16, 10:33 PM
Anime fans use the word masterpiece way too bloody much. Personallly my brain shuts off whenever someone uses that to adress their fav anime.

And my standards were already set in my normal media, so most anime was always in the average category.

Oct 16, 10:37 PM

Nope.

I don't make myself too strict, nor do I raise my standards (or have them raised as a result of watching a certain show) to the point where I will turn away from a show that doesn't meet the same/similar level as I get from a certain standard.

Oct 16, 10:37 PM

Mitsuboshi Colors increased my CGDCT standards, I think.

Oct 16, 11:55 PM
A_G_N said:
Anime fans use the word masterpiece way too bloody much. Personallly my brain shuts off whenever someone uses that to adress their fav anime.

And my standards were already set in my normal media, so most anime was always in the average category.

How do you even consider yourself an Anime fan
Watch more Anime

Oct 17, 12:07 AM

Watching movies like Godfather, Citizen Kane, Kagemusha; cartoons like Gravity Falls, Rick and Morty; and novels of Asimov, Salinger or Sanderson.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo

Oct 17, 12:11 AM
Laplace_kun said:
Watching movies like Godfather, Citizen Kane, Kagemusha; cartoons like Gravity Falls, Rick and Morty; and novels of Asimov, Salinger or Sanderson.

Hahah Rick and Morty is overrated trash, Avatar is good
Gravity falls is great
You should watch more movies like paths of glory, apocalypse now and lawrence of Arabia

Oct 17, 12:16 AM

Aerosmith224 said:
Laplace_kun said:

Hahah Rick and Morty is overrated trash, Avatar is good
Gravity falls is great
You should watch more movies like paths of glory, apocalypse now and lawrence of Arabia

All seen. Trash opinion on R & M. Not an American so don't care what their audience overrates anyways. Avatar is big nice, but grew out of it.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo

Oct 17, 12:26 AM

Aerosmith224 said:
Did any Manga or Anime raise your standards so High that everything else looked like Mid or Garbage in comparison?

that'd be Monster. It did exactly that to me. It's simply the best i've ever seen. Apart from my top 10 yes it does make everything else look "garbage" or "mid".

Oct 17, 1:09 AM
In the case of anime , Gintama,FMAB and Monster raised my standards to insanely high levels and HxH to some extent.

In the case of manga it would SBR, and although it's adaptation would raise my standards even further, I'm not keeping high expectations for it as a bad adaptation would hurt me very much.

Oct 17, 5:32 AM
Aerosmith224 said:
A_G_N said:

How do you even consider yourself an Anime fan
Watch more Anime
I've scoped out the top 500-1000 believe me. Been a fan since 2014 now, I just ignore one's that I have no interest in or are bad.
Modified by A_G_N, Oct 17, 5:38 AM

Oct 17, 5:44 AM

In the case of anime, my perspective changed when I watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes, in the case of manga, Ravages of Time. Talking about the last one, the characterization, worldbuilding and plot were on a different level, if I rate low the next manga that I read is thanks to this one 不

Oct 17, 5:50 AM

Watching Hunter x Hunter increased my standards so much that I changed my rating scale. Gintama increased it even more.
Modified by N_J_N, Oct 17, 5:55 AM
“Life is basically like a soap bubble. It rides on the wind, flying here and there… and before you realize it – pop! It’s gone. When it’s about to disappear, you think that you could’ve flown a little higher. But by the time, it’s already too late." ~ Gintoki Sakata

Oct 17, 5:52 AM

I feel like I have no standards at all lol. I find something good in everything. Maybe I should find a series that gives me some standards.

Oct 17, 5:55 AM

Generally Re:Zero and Grand Blue for Comedy

Oct 17, 6:07 AM

Aerosmith224 said:
jrxzma said:

Aerosmith224 said:
jrxzma said:

What does this even mean?? Whats the minimum number required to post here?

Oct 17, 6:20 AM

maybe hunter x hunter but idk it was my second anime, probably it happneed recently with hnk, first i cared less aout ratings and gave higher ones in general except to things i hated with a pasison like anohana anf your oie in april

Oct 17, 6:24 AM

I hope people take these meme shitposts not seriously.
One Piece episode 914 & 915 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation

Go vote here if you're a One Piece enjoyer.

Oct 17, 6:28 AM
FMmatron said:

遲遲獨HAT???
This is a discussion forum?
I just want to know more about other's tastes

Oct 17, 6:41 AM

FMmatron said:

It's just another way to ask their favourite anime. But OP found a way to ask it in a way that would allow him to simp on some overrated series.

I'm pretty sure most people don't take this thread seriously but still want to plug their favourite anime because why not?
Modified by Hrybami, Oct 17, 6:45 AM

Oct 17, 7:44 AM

Christ, you must have said "acclaimed" and "masterpiece" a dozen times in your post. I don't know how dim-witted you need to be to not know this, but neither of those actually mean anything. You're leaning on hollow praise because you can't identify actual positives with all the pieces of junk you mention.

Oct 17, 7:55 AM

Day by day his childish thoughts keeps getting sickening.
As I already told you duckhead, try to act like a little bit mature.
This vermin is really proving age is just number.

Oct 17, 8:19 AM
Ah yes you sir have an excellent taste. No human can ever match your standard. Bruh.

Oct 17, 8:24 AM

DinoPapiro said:
Aerosmith224 said:

Aerosmith224 said:

What does this even mean?? Whats the minimum number required to post here?
he said 200 in another post, techinally we both couldn't for his standard

Oct 17, 8:27 AM

Aerosmith224 said:
I even decreased my ratings and now it got negatively skewed, but I decided to be a little merciful and not decrease the rating of any JoJo Part or a highly acclaimed Anime below 6/10.

your rating for stone ocean is 5 though

Pages (2) [1] 2 »