Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 15, 2021 10:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Tamahiko needs to take care of his health better. The guy looks terrible this episode with that flu. Seems his mental health isn't that good either. God Bless Yuzuki for supporting him.

Seems they're really pouring most of the show abou Tamahiko and Yuzuki's relationship. And I think that's very charming. And oh, Tamako is such a cool girl.

Oct 15, 2021 10:27 AM

Jun 2019
Man... this show is just so sweet especially Yuzuki. She's just so frickin' precious. Everything she does is cute. Taking care of sick Tamahiko... no problem. Doing house chores... no problem. Definitely an approved wife for sure. The comedic elements that are being put in this show here and there are cute and funny.

It's so cute to see their relationship grow in this show. Idk man... I might end having diabetes after this one. Also, Tamahiko's little sister, Tamako is here. I like her as well.
Oct 15, 2021 11:13 AM

Apr 2016
I really like the main girl. She is a woman of her era, her family went into a debt, so it was her duty to take care of the family .. by marrying the land lord's (the one who her family is indebted to) son, yes she may not like it, but she knows its her duty and shes doing everything in her power to fulfill it with her own ways of optimism.

Similar to the main dude, whos duty is to not exist, for the wellbeing of the family ... the "duty to one's family" seems like a theme for the future. Its nice to see a period characters that act in accordance of the time period. I didn't read the manga so all this can change the next episode for all i know, but for now, i like it.

Also look at the architecture and costumes in Tokyo!
Oct 15, 2021 11:31 AM
Oct 2016
Yuzu is starting to have a more positive influence on Tamahiko outlook. Receiving that letter from his father dealt a bad blow to his self worth. Your own father saying you'd be better off dead than a blemish on the family image. I can see why Tamahiko fell back into a depressed state like before Yuzu arrived in the first episode. But luckily Yuzu is there for Tamahiko to lean on, literally in this episode. While ruining her first sown kimono Yuzu being there for Tamahiko helped bring him back from brink. Their trip to Tokyo definitely helped lighten the mood. Yuzu looked like she was having a blast seeing all the sights of the big city. Buying new kimono fabric at the department store and eating ice cream. Tamahiko and Yuzu were so cute in the restaurant and on the train, they're becoming more accustomed to each other. Now with Tamahiko younger sister arriving this should shake things up.
Oct 15, 2021 11:42 AM

Jul 2017
The couple life of Tamahiko and Yuzu continues, and is freaking the former out more now that she is technically his bride.

The inherent PTSD as a result from his direct family's treatment, Tamahiko might as well be dead and done living alone without the family name. Of course, being a girl sold to a debt, Yuzu will always be around to take care of Tamahiko, till death do them apart. And considering that the Taisho Era wasn't exactly the most keen of a wonky time period, the romance between the both of them feels genuine amidst rocky paths.

A trip to Tokyo as amends akin to a date, and Yuzu definitely is enjoying herself while Tamahiko still contemplates. To think that 10 yen is quite expensive back in early 20th Century Japan, the value has depreciated a lot, but what is not is their relationship. Yuzu is already thinking far ahead while being so innocent, she's a real mature young-un.

Also, the infrastructures for the Taisho period are definitely striking, the days before World War I. Even the ice cream scene is too cute though, but public image is all the rage to be kept.

It's nice to see that Tamahiko is paying more attention to Yuzu, and let that be a budding romance in the small countryside villa. But welp, Tamahiko's little sister Tamako is here, and she'll cause a sizable ruckus.
Oct 15, 2021 11:46 AM
Jan 2020
Enjoying my weekly does of diabetes.
Oct 15, 2021 11:55 AM
Sep 2015
I thought this kind of story wouldn't have a villain, but then his little sister appears...
Oct 15, 2021 12:04 PM

Nov 2016
That letter from the father was brutal af. Disappointing your parents is already uncomfortable, but being perceived as shame to the family when you're just a victim must hurt really bad, I can't even imagine.

The Tokyo date was nice. The setting certainly got appeal, but it's not without it's drawbacks from our perspective. Like that ice cream scene. Ah the good old days of Taishou era where publicly feeding your man is indecent behavior. Crazy how times changed, lol. I wonder what the future has in store.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 15, 2021 12:10 PM

Jul 2017
Tamahiko's father ain't winning much 'Father of the Year' awards with stuff like what he wrote in that letter to his own son, proclaiming him pretty much as dead now. The actual episode itself was a bit boring for me, kind of a flat dynamic between Tamahiko and Yuzuki but I am interested a bit in what the new character at the end has to offer in the short term, despite not being the friendliest looking person out there.
Oct 15, 2021 12:18 PM

May 2021
Great episode! I hate Tamahiko’s father. He’s ok with pretending Tamahiko died in an accident just for the sake of his other children’s marriages. Love how Yuzu is really compassionate and how she cheers Tamahiko up. I’m sure at this time there were lots of forced marriages in which the women were treated badly in this time but I’m happy Tamahiko treats her well. Looking forward to the next episode!
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 15, 2021 12:24 PM
Jun 2021
It's a really sweet anime. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the artwork. For me it's like borderline chibi but I'll continue watching.
The girl Yuzuki is my hero 😬🤣 she works sooo hard, cleaning, washing, cooking. I need her stamina haha.
Oct 15, 2021 12:27 PM

Nov 2013
Yuzuki is so precious.
Sister will surprise many.
Oct 15, 2021 12:32 PM

Jul 2014
Have to admit I'm still a tad conflicted on this show. I'm getting some real Tonikawa vibes from Tamahiko and Yuzu's dynamic, and given how I really disliked that show and dropped it super quickly, that's not a good sign at all. Beyond that, Tamahiko's pessimism is quickly becoming grating (not least because I cannot relate to or make sense of why his injury has made his family disown him and basically declare him dead) and Yuzu is too perfect and only exists to make him happy even though she's only known him at this point for, what, a week? There's nothing strictly wrong with wish fulfilment of this type, but it's possible to be a little too overt with it like this show.

Well, I'll give it one more chance next week and see how I feel. May as well give it the three-episode rule, after all.
Oct 15, 2021 12:33 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Yuzuki is so cute with him when he feels bad like that, he broke her yukata but she got a new one and it looks great, the sister appearance doesn't seem good at all though, I hope MC will be fine :/
Oct 15, 2021 12:52 PM

Jul 2011
I dont know how Tamahiko is so passive with that cutthroat family.
Oct 15, 2021 12:55 PM

Apr 2020
Well Shima's feelings right now after being told that he's a dead man are told accurately by these lyrics, "yes I'm lonely, want to die. Yes I'm lonely, want to die. If I ain't dead already, girl you know the reason why".

But even after suffering from ultimate betrayal and a cold, he bounced back and thought of actually repaying Yuzu's love (about damn time) and taking her to Tokyo...and the city's Taishou era look is amazing! Pretty much a date with 2 kimonos costing 22 yen (that only buys you a cheap bottled water nowadays), and a nice ice cream. And I laughed when Yuzu saw an escalator for the first time, that was most of us when we were a child.

Pretty good development so far, pls Shima you gotta repay some love to your waifu, YOU HAVE A TRUE ONE WHILE WE HAVE AN ILLUSION. And now that Tamako the imouto is here, I wonder how Shima will handle it now that he's just recovering from the pain of isolation.
Oct 15, 2021 1:26 PM
Feb 2021
Really mid anime. Nor a single frame was interesting.
Oct 15, 2021 1:48 PM
Senpai

May 2021
I like it so far. Family is very important when it comes to mental health, i feel bad for him.
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Oct 15, 2021 2:46 PM

May 2018
Why is Tamahiko's family such assholes >:(
Oct 15, 2021 3:16 PM

Jun 2021
Yuzu is just too cute. Loved the way they draw different expressions of her throughout the episode.

Also, the way they used the Taisho era department store to facilitate the story was nice too. The show is doing a good job building the atmosphere of that era.
Oct 15, 2021 4:11 PM

Apr 2018
First part of the episode struck me pretty hard. But thanks to the adorable Yuzu, he managed to get back on his feet. But in the end, the arrogant sister arrived. Seems like trouble is near..

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 15, 2021 4:31 PM

Mar 2014
Byniavo said:
Why is Tamahiko's family such assholes >:(

They aren't that bad. I mean if my dad wanted to be an a-hole and pretend I was dead I'd be fine with it as long as he bought me a nice house and a cute little wife first. lol
Oct 15, 2021 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
You can already know with all this and that Tamahiko's father is a very irresponsible guy with his own son putting his own son for dead that was really tense for Tamahiko.
Oct 15, 2021 5:22 PM

Oct 2008
This series is kinda cringed... not the lovely-dovely moments (those I'm used to) but those stupid things that his family has done and are still doing.

And they messed with Japan's first rule, don't bother the dead, let them rest peacefully. And that f*cking bitch, that will only get married because the guy is made up dead, is messing with the only guy that she shouldn't, because he is only dead for her to be married. What do you think will happen if the guy just showed at a family reunion because his DUMB sister comes to wake up the dead brother??

She will f*ck her bitch dada's plans just by existing at this point!!! DUMB BITCH!!!
For the ones that like to bother others (like me) with "you should read the manga/LN", please stop. I don't read mangas, I will NOT read mangas, I will not listen to what manga readers complain in adaptation to the anime counterpart, I only watch anime except in very few and specific situations.
Oct 15, 2021 6:35 PM

Jun 2019
This anime fucking sucks. I like the time period, some of the girl’s reaction faces, and it’s decent from a production standpoint, but the actual content makes it unbearable to watch.

I can’t believe they are expecting me to take seriously the MC’s dad saying “yeah we can let people know that you lost use of an arm in an accident because it will ruin their marriages, so we’re just gonna say you’re dead”. And that leads to the MC getting all depressed and “suicidal” so the most perfect child can coddle him up while he constantly blushes and is taken aback. Am I supposed to be attracted to this child? I feel like that’s the only way I can get any enjoyment out of this nausiating wish-fulfillment garbage.

One more episode and I’m gone.
Oct 15, 2021 7:05 PM

Mar 2016
I need to know, just a little spoiler, is Tamahiko's little sister as a scumbag as their father?
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 15, 2021 7:42 PM
Nov 2016
Here I am, on the verge of a diabetic seizure, thanks to Yuzu...if she were any more sweet, she'd give you cavities at 100 paces!

And dad (and by extension, the rest of the family) need to get sodomized with a chainsaw covered in rock salt
Oct 15, 2021 8:10 PM

Jul 2011
what the hell is this f*cking family ??? poor MC, it's so hard to watch
Oct 15, 2021 9:15 PM
Dec 2020
Falconuruguay said:
Here I am, on the verge of a diabetic seizure, thanks to Yuzu...if she were any more sweet, she'd give you cavities at 100 paces!

And dad (and by extension, the rest of the family) need to get sodomized with a chainsaw covered in rock salt

I second this movement. The family need to fix themselves, the sister that we just met more closely looks like a demon I can't lie.

Other than that, I love both the main characters so much. Too cute and wholesome
some people...
Oct 15, 2021 9:36 PM

Jul 2016
Damn, what a shitty family... I feel bad for Tamahiko. Lowkey hope his father gets his own arm fucked or something.

That aside, it was another sweet episode. Tamahiko and Yuzuki had a really cute date and I particularly liked how Taishou Era Tokyo was portrayed.
Oct 15, 2021 9:45 PM
No.1 Nahida Simp

Jan 2017
el_morris said:
I need to know, just a little spoiler, is Tamahiko's little sister as a scumbag as their father?

Oct 15, 2021 9:50 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
This show is SO GOOD! I’m loving every second of it, this episode in particular had so many cute and funny moments with Yuzuki and Tamahiko, absolutely loving it. The first half was a bit sad because of the being announced dead situation, but Yuzuki saves our boy once again, and the 2nd half was very sweet, also loved seeing Taishou era Japan. Tamako is very pretty, I love the classic Japanese look, but I’m guessing she’s not gonna be very nice to start off next episode.

Also, kinda surprised to see a few people that aren’t into this, guess it’s not for everyone. It is VERY much for me, however.
Oct 15, 2021 10:00 PM
Jul 2020
el_morris said:

From the OP it doesn't seem so
Oct 15, 2021 10:54 PM

Jun 2019
TheColonel76 said:
Also, kinda surprised to see a few people that aren’t into this,

Don't be surprised - That's literally any anime that ever existed.

Nothing has 100% universal appeal and satisfaction.

But this series fits one or more overlapping niches like a glove.
Oct 15, 2021 10:59 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
TheColonel76 said:
Also, kinda surprised to see a few people that aren’t into this,

Don't be surprised - That's literally any anime that ever existed.

Nothing has 100% universal appeal and satisfaction.

But this series fits one or more overlapping niches like a glove.

I know that of course lol, I more so meant that there were more than I expected, but looking back on it, it was probably was silly of me to say something so obvious.
Oct 15, 2021 11:07 PM

Jul 2021
Honestly I'm a bit used to this type of show where the MC have family problems like Fruits Basket also sets a problem about family abuse where the zodiac members were abused by their parents and I'm either a masochist or sadist but at some point, watching them having pain is somewhat enjoyable for me since I get to understand these characters feeling and I'd like to see whether or not they will develop in later episodes.

Other than that, this episode sets a very sad tone going on between Tamahiko and his family. Man I would feel the same if I was in Tamahiko's position, having a family that leaves their son in the dread and at the same time challenging their son's own life to crush their own humanity. I also love Yuzuki here, for me her character is starting to grow gradually as she can read someone else's situation just from this quoting right here "If the words are too painful to say without wanting to cry, you musn't say it at all", she's starting to develop herself as a character who gives a great portrayal of a mother figure who takes care of Tamahiko by giving a helping hand, cooking him meals, showing empathy, and pretty much comfort him till he's all better ;).

And now's their trip to Tokyo, heading in the gateway to the Imperial Palace. Yuzuki's reaction and the way she acts like a unfamiliar with her own manners is literally me when I first came to Tokyo but too bad I didn't get to see people wearing such "a la mode" clothing style, nowadays, it's more of a modernist and minimalistic clothing with some jacket on (IF cold weather) :<. Anyways, some wholesome dialogue going on when both were buying Yuzuki's Kimono since Tamahiko ruined Yuzuki's first sewed red Kimono but she's happy with the fabric Kimono Tamahiko bought for now and yet again, she's definitely acting like an upcoming mother figure who never gets embarrassed at all :D. Also still feel bad when Tamahiko snap back from his bad memories when he refers to his own childhood after seeing a kid eating some omelette, kind of sad but somewhat relatable as for a person who gets easily bothered by something in the present that represents their bad memories, the struggle is real and I have huge empathy over Tamahiko :(

In the end, we see, Tamahika's little sister appearance, Tamako, she acts like a evil-ish sister to me but when I looked at the OP theme of this show, she seems nice to Yuzuki so I may be wrong but I'm looking forward to the next episode!
CQLLISTOct 16, 2021 6:50 PM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 15, 2021 11:37 PM

Oct 2016
Really good episode! Tamahiko and Yuzu out here giving everyone diabetes. I really like the time period here, besides Demon Slayer I think, this is the only other show I've watched set in the Taishou era. It's cool to see escalators and stuff in this era, since I didn't know they existed already by this time. The blend of modern and old is dope.

I hope Tamako is not really a dick, well based on the OP it seems she likes Yuzu at least. Tamahiko's father really sucks balls, but at least he gets money probably and a house and a lovely bride to comfort him, so I guess it's not all that bad. It definitely still hurts like a bitch though like we saw. Looking forward to the next episode.
Oct 16, 2021 12:38 AM
Sep 2016
Ah, Taishou, the best era (visually) in Japanese history. Literally, Japanese steam punk, Japanese renainssance. Especially the attires.

And once again, the song during the prologue.... Do you wanna go to the planetarium now?
uncleqrowOct 16, 2021 12:42 AM
Python is the best programming language ever. FIGHT ME!
Oct 16, 2021 1:00 AM

Apr 2017
The relationship betwen the mc and heroine is so sweet... probably the best romance this season
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Oct 16, 2021 2:00 AM

Apr 2015
That dad really is relentless isn't he... First being the shame of the family for something he is not to blame for, but now they just went and declared him to be dead, cause it benefits the engagements of his siblings. It makes me want to puke, it's disgusting, but somehow I wouldn't be surprised if this was normal in that era.

Not gonna lie, Yuzu is becoming best girl pretty rapidly this season. She's so cute and precious. She's exactly what Tamahiko needs right now, since everyone in his family rejects him.

Now I love the look of this Era's Tokyo. Makes me realize how freaking old the Tokyo Station building already is. Their little shopping trip was nice and I love how happy Yuzu was with the new cloth for the new Kimonos.

Oh boy this sister is already making me hate her. Next episode bought to be interesting and I wonder how Yuzu will be treated next to Tamahiko.
Oct 16, 2021 6:54 AM

Aug 2010
A lot of things happened and unfolded this episode, it felt a bit fast especially the trasition from Yuzu comforting Tamahiko to the next one. Other than that, really enjoyable episode. Always love seeing the city aesthetic of Taisho era!
Oct 16, 2021 8:39 AM

Jun 2016
i swear yuzu is best waifu this season !! adorable and heartwarming !!

the drama from this anime is banger !!
Oct 16, 2021 9:25 AM
Apr 2015
I just hope Tamahiko can stand against his family mistreatment
Oct 16, 2021 1:52 PM
Dec 2019
Another good episode. Both mcs look like pretty decent characters and I wonder how his sister will be next episode cuz they don't look like they get along. Well the preview said that. I wonder if they'll get along in later episodes. Well find out in the next ep and can't wait.
Oct 16, 2021 5:21 PM

Aug 2021
Yuzu using the old, classic and inescapable strategy of falling asleep, go lady, you know. She also has an interesting outlook on life, not seeing everything in a negative way, although sometimes it is true that not everything will always go our way, she always takes it in the best possible way.
Oct 16, 2021 11:26 PM

Oct 2008
almost the whole episode was wholesome! and then at that last part was an episode destroyer! all of the family members of Tamahiko is bad news!!!
5/5.

Oct 17, 2021 12:42 AM
Mar 2021
I like the clash of attitudes between the main leads, and that Yuzu isn't simply a ray of sunshine, but that she has a coherent life philosophy, and surprisingly seems a lot more mature than her future husband. He's just moping and letting his family abuse him, while she's made the best of a bad situation and is working to build a relationship with him.

I also like that it's a story that doesn't try too hard to impose modern ideals on characters from a century ago. It can feel really incongruous when a character is just randomly decades/centuries more progressive than everyone around them for no good reason. I can make sense of Yuzu's behavior and also how Tamahiko's family treats him through understanding that these people come out of a different time and culture than the modern Japan we're more familiar with through anime.
Oct 17, 2021 5:28 AM

Nov 2014
I was about to drop it when I saw that guy get even more depressed after the letter. But Tokyo part saved it for me. Seeing Yuzu spoiled and happy is good for my heart.
Now let's hope things will actually go up from here, and it's not a loop of Tamahiko gets depressed in first half then gets healed in 2nd...

His sister seems like a bait tbh. Maybe it's because of how she looked (or the fact she appeared there at all) on the first cover this entry had on MAL, but she doesn't seem like a bad person or antagonist.
Oct 17, 2021 6:11 AM

Jan 2018
Tamahiko's family (especially his father) are assholes. But I think Tamahiko himself would slowly turn out like them had he stayed with them and grew up.

Now Tamahiko's younger sister Tamako has barged into his married life without an invitation. She might make their lives hell. This is going to be interesting. I hope that she'll turn for the better later though.
Oct 17, 2021 2:29 PM
Jul 2019
Blue_Maroon said:
This anime fucking sucks. I like the time period, some of the girl’s reaction faces, and it’s decent from a production standpoint, but the actual content makes it unbearable to watch.

I can’t believe they are expecting me to take seriously the MC’s dad saying “yeah we can let people know that you lost use of an arm in an accident because it will ruin their marriages, so we’re just gonna say you’re dead”. And that leads to the MC getting all depressed and “suicidal” so the most perfect child can coddle him up while he constantly blushes and is taken aback. Am I supposed to be attracted to this child? I feel like that’s the only way I can get any enjoyment out of this nausiating wish-fulfillment garbage.

One more episode and I’m gone.
dude are you high or something? learn some history bud family reputation was such a big deal in 1917 old japan speacially with the rich families its not a show's fault that your tiny brain can't handle this fact dude just stop it and rewatch your hxh and other shounens if you can't even handle a wholesome one
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2021

55 by HyperlinkBlocked »»
Mar 14, 1:08 PM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 24, 2021

104 by basskiller »»
Jan 11, 2:53 PM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2021

50 by basskiller »»
Jan 8, 11:55 PM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 10, 2021

52 by basskiller »»
Jan 6, 8:29 PM

Poll: » Taishou Otome Otogibanashi Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2021

45 by basskiller »»
Jan 3, 7:44 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.