Forum Settings
Forums

Based on what time zone do anime statuses change? (aired/not aired etc)

New
Oct 14, 2021 10:37 AM

Jan 2011
I live in Japan and whenever I go to update my list after watching a new anime I'm unable to do it because the status isn't updated. For example, I just watched the first episode of Ousama Ranking but I could only add it as "plan to watch" because it's listed as "not aired yet" on the site. I still haven't figured out when statuses are updated, so I have no idea when I can finally update my list.

Would it be possible to know when (=based on what time zone) the statuses change? I thought it was based on the Japanese airing time but I figure it isn't...
Oct 14, 2021 11:18 AM

Jul 2017
AFAIK the timezone listed in the anime's info is just for information only, the actual update is only when the anime itself airs on TV after the timing, then it'll allow you to mark it as "watching". All times reflect JST.

Of course, if this isn't updated, it'll fall on anime DB mods to go and manually update.
Oct 14, 2021 11:10 PM

Jan 2011
I thought that there was some algorithm that updated the listing automatically, but about 2 hours after the anime aired it still wasn't updated, which seems to be pretty long for just a lag, so that's why I'm wondering. I experienced the same another time when I tried to list an anime as "completed" but it was still showing as "airing" (it had finished airing in Japan).
Oct 14, 2021 11:43 PM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
We have a cron job that runs once a day (at midnight pacific time) and changes the status of all shows that a) start airing the next day b) finish airing the next day. So the status on the entry should always be changed before the anime starts/finishes airing. And I haven't heard of other complaints in the last few weeks. When it happens next time, can you take a screenshot and send it to me together with when you took it?
Oct 16, 2021 4:32 AM

Jan 2011
Thank you for your reply! The first time it happened was at the beginning of this month. I thought it was a one-time bug but then it happened two other times so I was wondering whether something changed. I'll be sure to take a screenshot and post it if it happens again (might be when one of this season's anime end, because so far it only happened when switching from "not aired yet" to "airing" and from "airing" to "completed").
Oct 16, 2021 7:32 AM

Apr 2010
Luna said:
We have a cron job that runs once a day (at midnight pacific time) and changes the status of all shows that a) start airing the next day b) finish airing the next day. So the status on the entry should always be changed before the anime starts/finishes airing. And I haven't heard of other complaints in the last few weeks. When it happens next time, can you take a screenshot and send it to me together with when you took it?

https://myanimelist.net/anime/40682/Kingdom_3rd_Season

Slated to end on "Oct 17, 2021" (and it was already marked as such for a least a few days).
It's Oct 16th, 07:32 PDT right now, but it hasn't switched to "Finished Airing" yet...

(I've noticed this happening quite a bit within the last few weeks, and the status changes were at random enough times that I suspect they were manual corrections by DB admins rather than the cron script doing its job.)
JhidayOct 16, 2021 7:36 AM
Oct 16, 2021 9:59 AM
★★★★★

Sep 2008
@Jhiday Thanks for the link! I've changed the status manually for this entry now. And I've forwarded the problem to the tech team.
It could be that the anime mods changed some dates manually but I haven't seen any discussion about it so I'm not sure. Do you remember any of the other entries?

@nayama Do you maybe remember which entries were affected?
Oct 22, 2021 10:17 PM

Jan 2011
Luna said:
@nayama Do you maybe remember which entries were affected?

I remember it happening when I tried to change the status of Re:Main to "finished" after it aired on Japanese TV, and when I tried to change Ousama Ranking to "watching" (this time I also checked about 2-3 hours after it finished airing but the status was still "not aired yet"). I have the feeling it happened another time between these two but I don't remember which anime it was.. It was a new one starting, maybe Visual Prison.

More topics from this board

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
43 minutes ago

» Backup

Vapor_AU - 11 hours ago

1 by pichipichiHiro »»
10 hours ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3368 by L2Dragon »»
Yesterday, 6:35 PM

» MAL Export

Devileeee - Sep 25, 2023

3 by zororo12 »»
Apr 23, 3:52 AM

» Problem with API OAuth2 Authentication Login

bidgetfoss_4000 - Apr 23

0 by bidgetfoss_4000 »»
Apr 23, 3:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.