Forum Settings
Forums

Sub vs Dub: Worst question anime fans ask!

Poll: Is asking which is better sub vs dub futile?

Oct 13, 7:06 AM

Normally it sounds normal to ask which is better sub vs dub right? You would think so, but that is what I consider a horrible question. Why? No matter how good a dub is people with say sub is better rendering the question absolutely useless. The only exceptions might be complete parody dubs like SAO Abridged (great btw) and Ghost Stories.

I understand some dubs are pretty trash with censorship and bad acting, but in general even if a dub is really good people will chose favor sub. This dynamic renders this question to complete waste.

I think overdone Japanese voice acting is not a must all the time. Once you watched so many anime, you heard mostly all the performances before with both dubbed and subbed. As a result, I view going subbed all the time pointless though sub is certainly preferable to a horribly acted or censored dub. In many cases dub is not even an option.

I believe the point of a dub is to be able to consume a mostly equivalent anime in your own language without viewing the subtitles all the time. Instead of asking what is better; a superior question is to ask if the dub is good or not.

Do you think asking which is better, sub vs dub is a futile question?

Oct 13, 8:53 AM

Well, a bad dub will surely affect the enjoyment of anime. There are anime with great dubs like Death Note and Cowboy Bepop. It's also true the reason why most people prefer to watch sub is because Japanese VA never disappoint. While dubs most of the time they are...you know. I do watch both. If a dub is really good, I will definitely give it a chance. I know a person who watches only sub and thinks that real anime fans only watch sub. IMO, sub vs dub as a whole is a futile question.

Oct 13, 11:16 AM

Yeah. People are going to have their preferences. And at the end of the day, it's just entertainment. Some people take watching anime too seriously.

Oct 13, 11:27 AM

RedZ21 said:
Japanese VA never disappoint.

That's certainly not true cuz I'm familiar with a couple of Japanese voice acting characters that sound super off or are annoying.
Literally any Anime get's a positive reputation:
A rando with no life in the internet: It's overrated
Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte

Oct 13, 11:28 AM

In any case sub is infinitely better. Japonese voice actors are just the best and convey emotions better than any garbage dub va

Oct 13, 12:20 PM

watch whatever you want.
but these are just my opinions
if a show uses japanese humour and puns it'll probably make more sense to watch it in japanese take gintama for example. i also feel like when watching shows set in older japan it hits better to watch it in sub. but at the same time, i enjoy watching dub for shows set outside of japan. just makes more sense and i also feel that it hits better.

Oct 13, 12:27 PM

Yes, because who cares at the end of the day? Watch whichever you prefer. I don’t like dubs in general, not just with anime, which is why I never watch anything dubbed unless it’s like a parody or something.

Oct 13, 12:34 PM
Then there are people like me who wll prefer dub over subs regardless how how inferior dubs ara, cause we are too lazy to read subtitles.
tbh reading subtitles make me sleepy so i always prefer dub.

Oct 13, 12:36 PM

This debate has been going on for years XDXDXDXD. At the end of the day I still prefer jp voices in my animu.

Speaking of which, the only time I found overdone jp voice acting annoying was in Kanojo mo Kanojo because these retarded numbskulls for characters wouldn't stop screaming the whole time.

Oct 13, 12:38 PM

Depends on the show honestly.

Some shows either is okay (high school DXD)

Others sub beats dub to a bloody pulp (Miss Kobayashi’s Dragon Maid)

But generally speaking sub will be better. Dub is just ease of use really. Sometimes I wanna watch a nice SOL in Dub just to relax so I don’t have to read

Oct 13, 12:43 PM

People who only watch subs are up their own ass.

People who only watch dubs don't know any better.

People who watch both are cool.

Oct 13, 12:50 PM

No cause it's a good conversation starter to ask when you're meeting another person who watches anime. Then again, most people on here don't even know how to communicate with others offline. So it's more useless than futile
Modified by Erebus_Akeldama, Yesterday, 3:56 AM
"No one knows the outcome of one's life, no one knows if he or she's decision is correct. But regretting the past only dulls one's ability to see into the future. After all, in order to see what's ahead, you have to look forward, not backwards." ~ Erebus Akeldama
⤋ My Anime Playlist: ⤋ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎

Oct 13, 12:52 PM

I prefer dubs, because there are plenty of dubs that are objectively better than or equal to their sub counterparts.

When I do prefer the sub, it's because the dub wastes top-tier talent to deliver stilted, awkward, way-too-literally-translated dialogue that makes the whole affair wooden and awful. Lookin' at you, Gurren Lagann, Fate/Zero, and Monster...

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Now and Then, Here and There."

Oct 13, 3:00 PM
yeah because it should be a case by case basis. If you mostly watch subs, that's fine, so do I, but there are some great dubs out there worth checking out. Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun has an incredible dub, Baccano!, Violet Evergarden, Dorohedoro, Black Clover, most Studio Ghibli movies, etc.

there's some anime I would only ever watch subbed, and others I would only ever watch dubbed, and it depends on the context. I like to listen to the first few lines of dialogue of the dub, a lot of the time.

Oct 13, 3:32 PM

I'm not an English speaker, but English dubbing sucks. Of course, for English speakers there may be good dubbing, but for me, who am not an English speaker, it sucks. Putting this aside, wouldn't it be easier to see if you like the dubbing in the first episode? If you don't like it, just watch it subtitled, there's no secret.

Oct 13, 6:37 PM

legit I don’t know why it’s so hard for someone to play both the sub and dub to form an opinion for themselves, shouldn’t take more than a few minutes

Oct 13, 6:47 PM
It is absolutely not true that this is the worst question anime fans ask.

...because non-anime fans are apparently asking this shit too, thanks Squid Game. Now I have to deal with sub vs dub when I'm not even watching anime, and people are far less civil about it outside of the anime community since in the anime community we've already gone through the worst of the debate, and most people that try argue about it get equally shit on. Moving passed the sub vs dub debate is one of the few things I think this forum has done somewhat well, even if it still sometimes is an issue with certain users.