Forum Settings
Forums

How realistic does anime portray your culture?

New
Oct 6, 2021 11:54 AM

Apr 2012
How realistic does anime portray your culture? Do you like shows whose storyline or characters are based a lot on this?

For my part, I can say that Black Lagoon, for obvious reasons, is cult in Russia, not to mention characters with Russian roots like Anya from IDOLM@STER (I also heard about the Russian girl in the original LL, but I know almost nothing about her) or Aurora from Azur Lane. In Russia, people tend to be quite ironic and salty about national stereotypes about Russians, but this is usually appreciated, since we believe that Russia does not appear so often in anime and manga. To such an extent that the thematic communities on the Russian Internet even know in which hentai anime there were Russian characters, lol.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2021 12:44 PM

Aug 2019
depends which culture, since I’m a Mexican American (born from two immigrants from Mexico) so when it comes to portrayal of Americans it doesn’t really fit me at all; however I have seen some portrayals of Mexicans which usually consists of maracas, sombreros, ponchos, tequila, etc

here’s an example
Oct 6, 2021 12:47 PM

Apr 2012
snowykevin said:
depends which culture, since I’m a Mexican American (born from two immigrants from Mexico) so when it comes to portrayal of Americans it doesn’t really fit me at all; however I have seen some portrayals of Mexicans which usually consists of maracas, sombreros, ponchos, tequila, etc

here’s an example

And what is your opinion on this? I have heard that the stereotypical portrayal of Mexicans is considered quite controversial in the modern United States.
Oct 6, 2021 12:50 PM

Mar 2020
Very inaccurately, we're a lot less loud and happy than from what I've seen of us in anime. And a lot less posh. It's probably due to "foreignness" that we are depicted this way, to make us look cool and exotic rather than quiet and mildly cynical, and while it is inaccurate, we've also done that to Japan so who cares.

I'm neutral on if I like anime based around British culture because A: British culture as a central whole doesn't really seem to exist anymore as we continue to Americanise and B: It all depends on the quality of the anime.

Feb 2015
but the culture portrayed in anime is Japanese culture... so.... the fact that it will have other elements of its Japanese culture depends on the research done by the writer of the original source, or it'd come down to the director. But then again. Anime is thus far beyond realism so I dont even know why we're talking about this. I mean, for god's sake, we see frames by frames by frames of loli fanservice and it doesnt mean you're a pedo irl. It's just Japanese doing Japanese things.

how do I even know it's as Japanese as it could be? I mean I doubt every loner depressed japanese hs student just trips and somehows falls with the jk idol numba wan that everyone wants to fuck and they somehow falls in love....

like I dunno?

Aug 2019
RobertBobert said:
snowykevin said:

here’s an example

And what is your opinion on this? I have heard that the stereotypical portrayal of Mexicans is considered quite controversial in the modern United States.

I found it to be pretty funny, I’ll never get offended at stereotypical portrayal of my culture because it’s just cool to see anything related to Mexican culture in anime
Oct 6, 2021 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Canadian here, I can only think of Langa from Sk8 the infinity. He was portrayed as a chill snowboarder, so I can’t complain. I’d love to hear how other Canadians were portrayed in anime.
Oct 6, 2021 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Canadian here, I can only think of Langa from Sk8 the infinity. He was portrayed as a chill snowboarder, so I can’t complain. I’d love to hear how other Canadians were portrayed in anime.
Oct 6, 2021 1:10 PM

Apr 2012
_meimei said:

What about Canada from Hetalia? His image is based on the joke of "the American twin brother who is mistaken for the US," but he is often portrayed as more reasonable.
Oct 6, 2021 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
RobertBobert said:
_meimei said:

What about Canada from Hetalia? His image is based on the joke of "the American twin brother who is mistaken for the US," but he is often portrayed as more reasonable.
Ooh I’ll have to check that out, first time I’ve heard of this.
Oct 6, 2021 1:22 PM

Nov 2011
snowykevin said:

here’s an example

in Star Twinkle Precure, Elena (one of the main girls) comes from a Mexican family.

they really like to dance and are always cheerful.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Oct 6, 2021 1:24 PM

Aug 2019
DreamingBeats said:
snowykevin said:

here’s an example

in Star Twinkle Precure, Elena (one of the main girls) comes from a Mexican family.

they really like to dance and are always cheerful.

that’s pretty cool, I might have to check that show out just for that honesty lmao
Oct 6, 2021 1:40 PM

Mar 2021
Jojo's portrayal of India in part 3 is not 100% accurate, but the Beggars scene was very real. Some beggars are always on the lookout for foreign tourists to exploit them, some even use scams and very well planned out stealing methods to grab any valuables from the foreigners.
Oct 6, 2021 1:47 PM

Aug 2019
qbfinest said:
snowykevin said:

here’s an example

You should watch michiko and hatchin. Perfect show for you. Not technically Mexican but very strong with Latin American roots

oh wow yeah I’ve had that on my plan to watch for a while but didn’t realize a lot of the characters are Latino, think I should finally get around to watching it now
Oct 6, 2021 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Porphy no Nagai Tabi did a very good research to portray a region of Greece (Ipirus) in the 50s. It even has a trip to the region's capital and features parts of daily life and cuisine. ED sequence shows real photos too
Oct 6, 2021 2:49 PM

Jul 2019
0%, like, way the hell off. It isn't even on the dam scale anymore. It is probably as broken as anywhere outside Europe tho tbf.
Oct 6, 2021 2:51 PM

Apr 2012
_meimei said:
RobertBobert said:

Ooh I’ll have to check that out, first time I’ve heard of this.

This is mainly a satire on national stereotypes in the form of a world of handsome ikemen and sometimes bishoujo. For example, the United States is depicted as an immature hamburger fanatic who constantly makes crazy plans and annoys his father / brother / former boss Britain

qbfinest said:
snowykevin said:

here’s an example

You should watch michiko and hatchin. Perfect show for you. Not technically Mexican but very strong with Latin American roots

One of my internet friends loves this show as he is also an American with Japanese roots.

Oct 6, 2021 2:56 PM

May 2018
I think when the K-On girls went to London it was the most romanticised version of London I've ever seen, but at the same time I love watching that representation of London, even if it was far from reality.
Oct 6, 2021 3:00 PM

Apr 2012
Seijatachiiii said:
I think when the K-On girls went to London it was the most romanticised version of London I've ever seen, but at the same time I love watching that representation of London, even if it was far from reality.

Oh, are you British? Then how about Victorian-inspired shows like Moriarty, Princess Principal or Emma? I understand that these are very romanticized images, but I love this era.
Oct 6, 2021 3:04 PM

Oct 2010
the only instances when romania appears mentioned in anime it's about vampires, so yeah, 100% accurate and cool
Oct 6, 2021 3:10 PM

Apr 2012
Catalano said:
the only instances when romania appears mentioned in anime it's about vampires, so yeah, 100% accurate and cool

Well, the twins from the Black Lagoon are Romanians according to canon. But I'm not sure if the hostel-style backstory can be called respectful enough.
Oct 6, 2021 3:17 PM

Oct 2010
RobertBobert said:
Catalano said:

Well, the twins from the Black Lagoon are Romanians according to canon. But I'm not sure if the hostel-style backstory can be called respectful enough.

also, it's hilarious how in the english dub the VAs tried to do something cool by making the twins calling each other in romanian, so instead of "brother" they use "fratele meu" and "sister" becomes "sora mea" but it's weird because no one talks like that in romanian and the pronunciation is way off. In japanese they use the regular one-sama, onii-sama.
this may be unrelated to the thread but just popped through my mind
Oct 6, 2021 3:17 PM

Nov 2013
It's mostly related to World War II and/or Nazis in supernatural settings.

Not-Germany in Youjo Senki was actually a well-done what-if/alternate history scenario. Same goes for Schwarzesmarken.

The only example of contemporary Germany, that I can think of, is Monster and I haven't watched it. That said, Hollywood movies for example taking place in Germany are sometimes off by varying degrees.

If it borrows names of places, people or cultural references it's more often than not the cause of second-hand embarrassment.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Oct 6, 2021 3:18 PM

Nov 2011
Seijatachiiii said:

If you haven't already, Kiniro mosaic is a great, fun series to watch. The two main girls (Alice and Karen) are British (well, Karen is half), and it shows London from time to time. In the 1st episode, it actually shows London (i think), as well as Cotswolds (and Alice's home is based on a real location one can visit). The ending theme in season 2 has the main girls exploring London and having fun.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Oct 6, 2021 3:26 PM

Apr 2012
Catalano said:
RobertBobert said:

also, it's hilarious how in the english dub the VAs tried to do something cool by making the twins calling each other in romanian, so instead of "brother" they use "fratele meu" and "sister" becomes "sora mea" but it's weird because no one talks like that in romanian and the pronunciation is way off. In japanese they use the regular one-sama, onii-sama.
this may be unrelated to the thread but just popped through my mind

No, it's ok, lol. In our version, they used Russian versions of the word fellow. This is a frequent replacement for Onii-sama.
Oct 6, 2021 3:34 PM

Nov 2011
RobertBobert said:
characters with Russian roots like Anya from IDOLM@STER

From what i recall, the VA for Anya (idolmaster) went to Moscow to study Russian before taking the role. She really likes the language.

Eli from Love Live is half Russian and says ั…ะพั€ะพัˆะพ quite often, although in Japanese pronunciation.

Oct 6, 2021 3:38 PM

Apr 2012
DreamingBeats said:
RobertBobert said:
characters with Russian roots like Anya from IDOLM@STER

From what i recall, the VA for Anya (idolmaster) went to Moscow to study Russian before taking the role. She really likes the language.

Eli from Love Live is half Russian and says ั…ะพั€ะพัˆะพ quite often, although in Japanese pronunciation.

Yes, Sumipe is literally the most popular VA in Russia. I still don't understand why in one old show she was cast as the female lead and not her Russian step-sister.

Are you talking about that blonde who is often paired with a purple-haired troll girl? I remember they had a duet about a lily garden.
Oct 6, 2021 3:42 PM

Nov 2016
It is not even mentioned, the closest thing that is mentioned of my culture that I remember is in Nichijou, when Mio says that it only has one Argentine peso, the funny thing (and sad) is that in my country "one peso" it is also worth nothing (if at that time it was worth nothing, imagine now). ๐Ÿ˜„๐Ÿ˜ช

Aruzenchin peso!!!

I don't remember ever seeing another representation of my country. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ๐Ÿ˜ฅ
LAIK4Oct 6, 2021 3:55 PM
Oct 6, 2021 3:42 PM

Nov 2011
RobertBobert said:
DreamingBeats said:

Yes, Sumipe is literally the most popular VA in Russia. I still don't understand why in one old show she was cast as the female lead and not her Russian step-sister.

Are you talking about that blonde who is often paired with a purple-haired troll girl? I remember they had a duet about a lily garden.

Interesting, didn't know she was popular in Russia. Anya taught me cะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ and ะฝะตั‚. One of these days, I'll try learning, it seems like a pretty interesting language!

if you mean Nozomi, then yea.

Oct 6, 2021 3:46 PM

Apr 2012
DreamingBeats said:
RobertBobert said:

Interesting, didn't know she was popular in Russia. Anya taught me cะฟะฐัะธะฑะพ and ะฝะตั‚. One of these days, I'll try learning, it seems like a pretty interesting language!

if you mean Nozomi, then yea.

In Russia, people literally adore the Pravda team of Girls and Tanks, even people who are not big fans of anime. So she got a pretty big hype for this, especially when her love for Russia was revealed. Plus, Anya is constantly referred to as a curious character due to her Russian roots.

Yes. I've often seen her mentions here and there before, so I remember well that Nozomi has a friendship and a ship with a blonde girl.
Oct 6, 2021 4:23 PM

Oct 2017
I thought they did a pretty good job on this anime tourism ad. Looks better here than IRL. Iron Blood Orphans also had a mecha fight take place in Edmonton which was pretty cool. There was also that arrogant good natured dude from Yuri on Ice that was I guess somewhat likeable.

BilboBaggins365Oct 6, 2021 4:28 PM
Oct 6, 2021 4:27 PM

Apr 2012
BilboBaggins365 said:
I thought they did a pretty good job on this anime tourism ad. Looks better here than IRL. Iron Blood Orphans also had a mecha fight take place in Edmonton which was pretty cool. There was also that arrogant good natured dude from Yuri on Ice that was I guess somewhat likeable.

What studio did it? Western design and animation seem suspiciously familiar.
Oct 6, 2021 4:29 PM

Oct 2017
RobertBobert said:
BilboBaggins365 said:

CoMix makes sense the studio that did Your Name. They know backgrounds really nailed those mountain views the one that is about as beautiful IRL compared to the commercial.
Oct 6, 2021 4:43 PM

Apr 2012
BilboBaggins365 said:
RobertBobert said:

CoMix makes sense the studio that did Your Name. They know backgrounds really nailed those mountain views the one that is about as beautiful IRL compared to the commercial.

Well, I've never been a huge fan of Canada, but this ad gave me a bunch of nostalgic vibes as I grew up in Canadian animation and the views of the snowy nature combined with the kind people in winter clothes made me feel warm.
Oct 6, 2021 4:54 PM

Nov 2018
Jokes on you, Australians hardly get represented at all. I'd love to see the Japanese perspective of our bogans and tradies, that'd be a fun ride to say the least.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™
Oct 6, 2021 5:50 PM

Nov 2011
_cjessop19_ said:
Jokes on you, Australians hardly get represented at all. I'd love to see the Japanese perspective of our bogans and tradies, that'd be a fun ride to say the least.

I tried looking, but only found really, really old series.
ใตใ—ใŽใชๅณถใฎใƒ•ใƒญใƒผใƒ (Flone of the Marvelous Island) - aired 1981 on Fuji TV and ๅ—ใฎ่™นใฎใƒซใƒผใ‚ทใƒผ (Lucy-May of the Southern Rainbow) - aired in 1982 on Fuji TV.
Both are anime adaptations of western novels/classics, with some slight twist that make it a bit different from the original.

Some anime will show briefly the geographical map of Australia (kiniro mosaic, aldnoah, strike witches, fafner, etc)

Oct 6, 2021 6:14 PM

Apr 2017
_meimei said:

Chiffon Fairchild from Freezing and Ryoko Asakura from Melancholy of Harumi Suzumiya, both student council presidents and from Canada.
Although

Oct 6, 2021 6:20 PM

Dec 2020
hmm not going to share what mine is, but in anime it follows a very specific stereotype to the point where im offended when i see it tbh. and the fans eat it up as if its really like that in real life
Oct 6, 2021 6:27 PM

Oct 2014
As a Canadian all I can think of is JJ from Yuri on Ice, Shirokuma from Shirokuma Cafe, and Anne of Green Gables. The fact that a literal polar bear is one of the few Canadian characters I've seen in an anime is pretty telling about how anime portrays our culture. To be fair, though, there isn't much about Canada for anime to need to portray anyway.
Oct 6, 2021 6:33 PM
Jul 2018
AnimeAnima said:
_meimei said:

Chiffon Fairchild from Freezing and Ryoko Asakura from Melancholy of Harumi Suzumiya, both student council presidents and from Canada.
Although
Nice! Some Canadian characters I’ve never heard of.
zombie_pegasus said:
As a Canadian all I can think of is JJ from Yuri on Ice, Shirokuma from Shirokuma Cafe, and Anne of Green Gables. The fact that a literal polar bear is one of the few Canadian characters I've seen in an anime is pretty telling about how anime portrays our culture. To be fair, though, there isn't much about Canada for anime to need to portray anyway.
lol at the polar bear, it’s always about the cold and snow for us isn’t it.
Oct 7, 2021 4:52 AM
Dec 2020
snowykevin said:

here’s an example
IS THAT A MOTHERFUCKING JOJO REFERENCE!?!!???!??!!!
Deathlydash
Oct 7, 2021 10:23 PM

Oct 2008
An anime character called Sofia Bulga appeared in an anime. The anime Majo no Tabitabi has an episode with some things unique to my culture featured. It's not enough, but it's enough, more or less.
Oct 7, 2021 10:40 PM
May 2021
Scottish and Canadian Aboriginal. I’ve never seen a character from either of those cultures in anime. It would be really fun to see though.
Waltzing around in my cloak of mud.
Oct 8, 2021 1:20 AM

Aug 2020
Even my own culture doesn't portray my culture accurately let alone anime (Australian)

ใ€Œ ๐•‚๐•–๐•ช ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•™๐•š๐••๐•–๐•ค ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•”๐•–๐•ค ๐• ๐•— ๐••๐•’๐•ฃ๐•œ๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•ค๐•ค, ๐•ค๐•™๐• ๐•จ ๐•ž๐•– ๐•ช๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•ฆ๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•ž ใ€

Oct 8, 2021 1:44 AM

Feb 2020
Finland. I think anime portrays our culture quite realistically, even our love for Santa Claus, sauna and salmiakki. :)

Oct 8, 2021 2:00 AM

Aug 2020
The only anime that has Australia in it that I've seen is
- Ef: A tale of
- A Place Further then the Universe

and they are both pretty crap at showing australia.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Oct 8, 2021 2:18 AM

Dec 2020
I'm living in Italy currently and Jojo has got a spot on impression.

We eata pasta and zound like dees.

Oct 8, 2021 2:34 AM

Jun 2019
The only Denmark representation I could think of is Denmark from Hetalia series. I don't actually agree with how they portray him as cheerful, friendly, and borderline obnoxious because we usually take our time to open up to other people lol and people I know want to spend their time indoors (ofc not everyone is like this). Our sense of humor can be dark too.

The only thing I could agree is that we're heavy drinkers lmao. Since drinking in a pub is expensive (pretty high tax) we usually drink in our home or on the sidewalk outside the pub.
Oct 8, 2021 2:35 AM

Apr 2020
British culture portrayed in anime is always pretty bad, it's always evidently clear that most writers only use Britain for the setting and do no further research. Id say that for European cultures as a whole, Japanese authors don't do their duty to respect the culture or history they are taking it from.
Oct 8, 2021 2:36 AM

Oct 2012
Well, according to anime, all Chinese people are corrupt and incompetent eunuchs, and weirdos who eat mapo tofu and chow mien all the time. And all Americans say "yo yo yo fuck fuck fuck" all the time while throwing hand signs and playing ball. So, not really...
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 11 hours ago

34 by Tsuyatoash »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 8 minutes ago

1 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» โ„๏ธ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

173 by Jonas-K »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

34 by Tsuyatoash »»
10 minutes ago

» Ruined after Serial Experiments Lain [Spoilers]

zaitec - May 6, 2017

14 by bacassu »»
12 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.