Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2021 8:27 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Spare the child and spoil the mother...? Tokuko's childbirth is one instance of where everyone is on standby of delivering the Prince's child, and a family in pardon awaiting for events unfolding for the big day.

Naturally, Biwa questions Shigemori of his visions, and for good reasons to keep him in check. The young prince Sukemori has no decency though, always luring find lovers but to no avail. Leaving Lord Shunkan at the island, the song of remorse echoes the resentment for thoe involved.

Tokuko has a successful childbirth, and relying on Biwa to see his future, it's still something ominous. To make matters worse, Shigemori's father Kiyomori does nothing for the people, leaving his own son in peril of his own actions to be ascertained in prayer and devotion. The consequence is the alleviation of his own soul while Emperor Go-Shirakawa fixates on his well-being, trying to help whatever he can. He definitely is a father figure to the kids.

Sadly for Shigemori, his nightmares didn't get the better of him, puttng his position as the Heike head under immense pressure from the inside out, and asking his sons like Koremori to adapt his legacy before his last breath. To ask Biwa to play the biwa while chanting his life away, Shigemori's life and Biwa's life intersect in the eyes.

[]Just what the hell is going on that'll lead to the destruction of the Heike?[/b]
KANLen09Oct 6, 2021 10:58 AM
Oct 6, 2021 9:04 AM

May 2021
shigemori's death was sad :-( , BTW I think the white haired woman who narrates the story in between is Future Biwa Narrating the destruction of Heike
sonu711Oct 6, 2021 9:08 AM
Oct 6, 2021 9:15 AM

Jul 2011
Now we know Tokuko will die in a 3 years time,trying to save her child.

I dont know if was a kinda satisfactory happening that was Shigemori's death, I mean he asked a divine intervention to cut his time.

Biwa acquired a power-up
Oct 6, 2021 9:25 AM

May 2019
Today episode was such a fine and easy one to follow up, now that i'm getting hang of these names. I don't know about the actual history but Shigemori is such a fantastic character in this series, absolute chad until end.

I'm amused whenever director uses parallels to symbol someone's death or significant moments. By not being based on manga or any strict source, the creators can use their imagination to the fullest and with good production team, they create some of the truly amazing anime just like how it used to be in Satoshi Kon or Miyazaki era.
Oct 6, 2021 10:00 AM

Jun 2019
Komi-san made me forget about this show. LMAO. Alright, let's see... Tokuko is pregnant and her life is in danger. Shigemori saw the dead souls standing above their heads during that time. Looks like Tokuko is alright and the newborn as well.

Shigemori's death was really sad. :'( RIP. Biwa got a power-up with that eye it seems.
Oct 6, 2021 10:16 AM

Apr 2018
Rest in peace for Shigemori. Tokoku only has a few years to live and seems like things aren't really going in the good direction. I really liked Shigemori's character, there was so much behind him yet he had to die. Biwa got some new powers ig? Solid episode.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Oct 6, 2021 10:23 AM

Aug 2020
Such a heart breaking episode for me it's masterpiece episode.
Oct 6, 2021 10:34 AM

Feb 2021
Lots of heavy emotions here. I'm not surprised hardly anyone is talking about this but I am enjoying it a lot.
Oct 6, 2021 11:32 AM

May 2021
"I was a boring man to the end, wasn't I?
this line hit me like a truck man, this shows how even tho its a few word from his father(amusing am I right?) that he repeatedly used to say but never used it in context of his son(shigemori) affected his mental health so much.(fore-shadowed since the first episode)
shigemori you will be remembered.
biwa getting shegemori's eye(the ability to see people from the past as ghosts)? truly interesting.

Oct 6, 2021 12:27 PM

May 2021
Shigemori’s death was really sad. Must be a big burden on Biwa to be able to see the future but not be able to do anything about it also. Looking forward to the next episode.
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 6, 2021 12:31 PM

Nov 2013
This was an unexpected death...

Biwa awakened Mangekyou Sharingan!

In all honesty, I won't be surprised if she blinds herself eventually. To see the depressing future and now the spirits of the dead. One would go mental!
Oct 6, 2021 5:11 PM

Jun 2015
Strongest episode so far. It's finally getting into a good rhythm and the little time skips are defined better. Really nice show
Fortune favours the bold!

Oct 6, 2021 6:47 PM

Jun 2021
Another good episode. VA was great. Pacing still feels a little fast, but none the less, it has been great so far.
Oct 6, 2021 7:40 PM
Apr 2021
Been loving Heike Monogatari so far. Really didn't expect Shigemori's death and got p sad too but it rly shifts the tone of the series in a way. Without Shigemori, Kiyomori can just do whatev he wants with the Imperial court now. The plot thickens
Oct 6, 2021 7:49 PM

May 2021
Now that the characters and story have been established, this is a lot easier to follow and digest. Poor Biwa, now she gotta see the future and dead people while being powerless all the same.
Oct 6, 2021 10:19 PM

Aug 2021
Sobbing with anguish and despair, praying for the day when his deafening wail would be heard, that pitiful man on the shore of that uninhabited desert island could only hurry and, by faint footsteps, tread his way lightly through the stormy waters of relentless feelings.
Speeding and imploring with disconsolation to that tiny boat that its thundering voice would be heard, there were but perishable white waves that, leaving their ephemeral trail, could only drift away like the tears that, welling up, heralded the merciless fall of the Heike.
Created to be happy and, with sincere joy, to laugh until sunset; tolerating the implacable doubts and the overwhelming fear for the silent night of eternal darkness that filled with fear for the beautiful aquamarine that in her empty heart seemed to overflow like the sincere tears that, reminding her of her impotence, would never allow her to find happiness.
Sobbing with anguish and despair, praying for the day when his deafening wail would be heard, that pitiful man on the shore of that uninhabited desert island could only hurry and, by faint footsteps, tread his way lightly through the stormy waters of relentless feelings.
Speeding and imploring with disconsolation to that tiny boat that its thundering voice would be heard, there were but perishable white waves that, leaving their ephemeral trail, could only drift away like the tears that, welling up, heralded the merciless fall of the Heike.
Created to be happy and, with sincere joy, to laugh until sunset; tolerating the implacable doubts and the overwhelming fear for the silent night of eternal darkness that filled with fear for the beautiful aquamarine that in her empty heart seemed to overflow like the sincere tears that, reminding her of her impotence, would never allow her to find happiness.
Oct 7, 2021 4:28 AM

Jan 2015
Shigemori wished upon his death, and ultimately died.
At least Biwa inherited his eye.
Oct 7, 2021 5:52 AM

Oct 2016
Man, RIP Shigemori, was such a great character till the end. I hope Shigemori's prayer actually worked and that in exchange for his life his father won't pursue more glory that will just lead to the ruin of the Heike, but I doubt that.

The animation when Biwa and Sukemori were in the carriage was some good shit especially the facial expressions.

Biwa now also has Shigemori's eyes, that means double the pain, damn.
Oct 7, 2021 8:43 AM
Apr 2015
Biwa now has Shigemori’s eye(rest in peace), things are going to eve more frustrating and complicated for her, will she be able to handle it? or change the future she sees for Tokoku and her child?
Oct 7, 2021 12:10 PM

May 2012
Who is Moriko woman that died in this episode ??? Did she appear before !!

I'm struggling to remember things.... Maybe because I'm watching too many anime
Oct 7, 2021 12:43 PM

Apr 2021
I like Go-Shirakawa's IDGAF party grandpa attitude.

thepath said:
Who is Moriko woman that died in this episode ??? Did she appear before !!

She was described by Tokuko in episode 2 as her little sister who had been married off and then widowed at age 11 and left with a stepson from his husband's previous liaison.
Oct 7, 2021 6:38 PM

Jan 2011
Man not like this his death hit hard i did not expect him to leave us so soon but again time is going at a fast pace
Biwa despite having powers is powerless is painful to see but maybe that will change now
Oct 7, 2021 10:21 PM

Dec 2016
Shigemori's death was sad and Biwa's reaction made it more heartbreaking.

Since it was Shigemori's own wish, I can't say anything. But his death arrived too soon than I expected.

I feel bad for Biwa since Shigemori was like a friend with whom Biwa could share all the thoughts and feelings with.

Now, that Biwa inherited Shigemori's eye, with the powerlessness it'll get more difficult for her since she can see not only the future but also the dead.
Oct 7, 2021 11:13 PM
Aug 2019
Shigemori ;;; His death made me cry :( Also I feel bad for Biwa, now she will have to see both a future that she can't stop and also people who died... though for the other part, maybe she will see her dad and Shigemori? That's good, maybe?
Oct 8, 2021 9:46 AM

Nov 2019
Great episode.
Shigemori's death was really sad. I loved his character and his interaction with Biwa. I did not want him to die, I cried.
Sakurai-San .. you are amazing as always ❤️
Oct 8, 2021 10:24 AM

Apr 2021
I was trying to read up on Wikipedia about what it's all about and came upon a contemporaneous writing named Hojoki, which records some of the circumstances the story is just now going through as witnessed by someone who was there.
https://www.washburn.edu/reference/bridge24/Hojoki.html

It's short, maybe half an hour to read, and I at least found it really interesting for the atmosphere of the story. It starts with the great fire and whirlwind that we just saw in this episode, and the next thing that comes up is the decision (that was already alluded to by Kiyomori in previous episodes) to move the capital to some middle-of-nowhere desert beach with tragic results culminating in two years of famine...

The description of luxurious buildings in the capital being torn down and their wood being floated downstream to the new capital where everyone is going about in rags is one that I wouldn't leave undepicted if I were directing this show.

Oct 8, 2021 11:24 AM

May 2017
his death didn't impact me much, unfortunately. I actually really liked his character but idk kind of weird that his death left me this cold. Maybe because I had a rough day today and I wasn't in the right mindset for this. I still adore the directing and the vision behind the anime so much. But I can't deny that the story is super duper rushed. Shigemori went from normal healthy to dying from an illness in a span of 20 minutes. So many time jumps..
Oct 8, 2021 6:15 PM

Sep 2019
I'm liking this more and more with each episode, Aside from the pacing going a bit fast...I don't really have any major complaints.

PS: RIP the homie Shigemori.
Oct 8, 2021 6:23 PM
Jan 2020
Really didn’t think Shigemori was going to die this early, but as the episode progressed on it became pretty clear that he was going to leave. But I find it interesting that he let himself go just to not witness the fall of everything. Dunno how to feel about that honestly. It’s certainly tragic, but I don’t like Shigemori as much as a result. But I can’t blame him fully, when everything is bound to crumble and we can’t change what comes next.

The future white Biwa songs seem to be highlighting significant events leading to the downfall of the Heike and what’s steering closer to undesired fate. Picking up on the key details of what will lead to its downfall is interesting to consider.

Biwa inheriting Shigemori’s eye is interesting, especially in how the scene is presented. She’s almost similar to her future fate white form. So perhaps her appearance in those moments is going to result from the deaths of other characters. My guess is that her long hair comes from Tokuko.

But yeah, probably my favourite episode so far. The intensity and spirituality was really on point, and very compelling.
Oct 9, 2021 12:08 AM
Oct 2013
Sooo... an important character dies as early as episode four, hmm. I guess the scope is larger than anticipated. The time skips and rushed info dumps seems justified after all. To tell a story that spans across multiple generations while maintaining engagement throughout, trivial depictions can be dismissed since the major points are shown clearly so that we can easily piece everything together by giving enough thought.

Laughed and cried within an episode, what an intense episode, where not a single cut was spared from progressing the plot. Although this time it was easier to follow. Wonder what will happen to Kiyomori at the end of the show, if he even last that long.
Oct 9, 2021 6:06 AM
Oct 2019
damn what a depressing episode...

Shigemori is gone now.

Nooo, i will missed Sakurai Takahiro voice.
Oct 9, 2021 6:07 AM

Jan 2021
Noooooooo!!!! Not shigemori! RIP. He was my favourite.
Oct 9, 2021 6:41 AM

Aug 2021
With this week's chapter Heike Monogatari already marks the beginning of the end for the clan. It is as if a fateful destiny befalls Kiyomori as punishment for his conceit.
Oct 9, 2021 9:28 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I've just caught up with the series and man, there sure are a lot of names thrown around from Japanese history. I would assume that their target audience must be those who know of it at least in broad terms, while the rest of us have to scrap Wikipedia articles just to figure out if a character was important or not. By the end, Biwa appears to be the inserted observer that acts as the one who already knows what's going to happen but can't change it, kinda like the audience in a sense. That much in concept I can give the series, apart from its peculiar art style of course.

PS: Thank you @Ishitateso in case you read this, your posts in previous episode forums were very helpful.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Oct 9, 2021 11:11 AM

Aug 2020
bro i legit teared up at shigemori dead like i thought he would survive till end but i guess not ;(
Oct 9, 2021 12:06 PM

Sep 2017
Feel like I'm starting to get the hang of who everyone is and the different factions. Rewatching ep 3 before this one helped a lot. Rip Shigemori tho. He was a great guy and the one who held the Heike together. He prayed for death if it would let him avoid seeing his clans downfall and death he got...

One thing tho can someone clarify who Koremori is referring to when he says "Uncle." Like "Uncle will get stronger with Tokuko's child being born" or w/e he said. And Uncle was mentioned a lot in ep 3.
Oct 9, 2021 1:38 PM
Feb 2020
How is this not rated so much higher
Oct 9, 2021 9:52 PM

May 2015
ProofByColor said:

One thing tho can someone clarify who Koremori is referring to when he says "Uncle." Like "Uncle will get stronger with Tokuko's child being born" or w/e he said. And Uncle was mentioned a lot in ep 3.

In that context Koremori was most likely referring to his grandfather Taira no Kiyomori and not his uncle Taira no Munemori by "oji-sama", it had been just mistranslated. Kiyomori was the one who gained the most from the birth of a son, because if the boy would be named as a crown-prince later on and then become an emperor after the abdication or death of Takakura, Kiyomori would hold tremendous political influence as the grandfather of an emperor. Of course at that time it was not a foregone conclusion that the child would be a boy, but a lot of prayers were being told, vows were made and presents were given to the temples to secure the born of a prince. Although the aforementioned uncle Munemori's wife was choosen as a wet nurse after Tokuko's pregnancy had been confirmed and that was a prestigious thing but she died months before the birth of the child so I don't see how Munemori would have got "stronger". What made him actually stronger in the political sense was the death of his brother Shigemori because with that he had become the heir to the head of the Taira clan. There were other uncles of Koremori beside Munemori but they were even less concerned with the birth (aside from the possibility of them becoming uncles of the future emperor).

PS. I rewatched the part of ep 3 again where Koremori used "oji-sama" in a conversation with Biwa and there as well he was clearly refering to his grandfather and not to his "uncle" as it was translated.

@rasterman7 I am glad I could be of help.
IshitatesoOct 10, 2021 3:21 AM
Oct 11, 2021 2:03 AM
Mar 2012
Blame ghosts on infertility, wait they're not all dead? just exiled. Congrats baby future emperor.
Wait who died? who Narichika? First half way too rushed. Very cool tornado, tho lightning was lol.
Rip Shigemori, the only great moral leader of Heike.
Biwa has double dojutsu now, double the suffering.
Oct 12, 2021 8:23 PM

Jul 2019
I'm conflicted on Shigemori's ultimate decision to offer his life away. I feel, he could've contributed more to the series if he wasn't written off. But, we'll see what happens with the new born child. I'm hopping for a twist, honestly. A good twist.

Not like this one.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Oct 14, 2021 5:42 AM

Nov 2020
so Shigemori died ): and Biwa inherited his eye. im curious how it'll affect Biwa's life from now on

Oct 14, 2021 7:22 AM

May 2015
LordSozin said:
I'm conflicted on Shigemori's ultimate decision to offer his life away. I feel, he could've contributed more to the series if he wasn't written off. But, we'll see what happens with the new born child. I'm hopping for a twist, honestly. A good twist.

Not like this one.

You know that every one in this aside from Biwa was an actual person. Shigemori wasn't written off.
Oct 15, 2021 6:17 AM
Feb 2018
Shigemori dead, I am done with this series.
Nov 7, 2021 9:10 AM

Mar 2010
Holy shit biwa is getting OP OP, damn what a turn of evens/ RIP shige

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Dec 15, 2021 2:22 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Seems like that even though Tokuko managed to have a son they'll both die the same way soon (drowning)... and RIP Shigemori, that was really sad, but apparently Biwa got her eye power after his death, interesting.
Jan 25, 2022 12:26 PM

Jul 2016
Best character in the show is now dead. RIP Shigemori.
Feb 15, 2022 2:17 AM

Jul 2015
Truly a huge loss with Shigemori passing away after he simply prayed for there to be peace.

Mar 18, 2022 12:35 PM

Jun 2016
damnn .. already 3 AM here , but i cant stop watching this anime !! currently on eps 4 ..
May 3, 2022 9:48 AM
Nov 2020
Shigemori, my man, why did you give up your life? Why did you run away? Giving such Ned Stark vibes
May 14, 2022 8:59 AM

Apr 2016
It seemed like the theme this episode was to highlight the burden children carry from Tokuko giving birth to the death of Shigemori and now Biwa can see the past and future.

Even when I get a little lost the amazing way everything is framed make me just go along with it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 13, 2021

35 by Andrzej2 »»
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 10, 2021

40 by Hydre_Ito »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:05 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 22, 2021

54 by silent_lurker »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:38 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Sep 15, 2021

113 by silent_lurker »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.