Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 6, 2021 7:01 AM

Jul 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The very first ever hockey anime, and girls' hockey at that. This is another CyberAgent product of a mobile game. Glass Reflection will be more than happy to see hockey finally being presented in anime, the Canadian pride.

The insert song gives me the Love Live! and BanG Dream! vibes with the idol-like dances and all from head to toe in appearances Uma Musume style, considering that some of the girls are newbie VAs, while the rest are from those 2 established franchises. The OP is OK at best.

C2C's visuals are always great to watch, though the cast of the Nikko Dream Monkey's "Newcomer Set" ice hockey girls themselves need some time getting used to, along with their calibre of beginner's luck on the introduction of ice hockey. Plus this "orange" theme that's gonna be prevalent, I have some expectations.

OK start.
KANLen09Oct 6, 2021 9:22 AM
Oct 6, 2021 7:01 AM

Apr 2020
I'm not sure, but isn't this anime the first hockey anime?

The girls are so cute, especially Kaoruko, I like her hair.

It's really fun, watching cute girls learn to play Ice Hockey. It looks like Mami really enjoys playing Ice Hockey with the others.

Yup, like in KV, it will be 7 girls
KaisekiOct 6, 2021 7:06 AM
Oct 6, 2021 7:05 AM

Apr 2012
So, is it literally Love Live / Bang Dream with clubs or does it non-ironically have a good sports plot?
Oct 6, 2021 7:06 AM

Feb 2020
One word: Torille! (I hope there are some Finns here).

The first ever ice hockey anime is here! It was about time...

A great start. This is like Love Live on skates. Manaka is already my favorite character.

SerafosNov 29, 2023 12:27 AM
Oct 6, 2021 7:11 AM
May 2018
Honestly from what I’ve seen so far I think the animation of the on-ice segments looks better than most American hockey movies in my opinion. I hope this inspires other studios to do more ice hockey related animation!
Oct 6, 2021 7:23 AM

Apr 2012
Animendez said:
Honestly from what I’ve seen so far I think the animation of the on-ice segments looks better than most American hockey movies in my opinion. I hope this inspires other studios to do more ice hockey related animation!

If this franchise and the next World Cup are hyped, they will. Think about how the Asian Football Championship and the Olympic Games promoted several football and sports shows in general.
Oct 6, 2021 8:28 AM

Apr 2014
We are Aqours!!!!!

Welcome to the new season of Love Live BanG Dream uhhh... I mean Puraore Pride of Orange. lol There were a lot of casts from both Love Live and BanG Dream as well. You know what Both of Chika's house and Manaka's house are ryokan. LMAO...
Well... It's looking very interesting that how embroidery girls will transform themselves to be sports girls.

The reason why the team is named Dream Monkeys is because of the famous three wise monkeys at the Tosho-gu shrine in the city of Nikko.

let's gooooo cute girls playing ice hockey.
AkeZZZOct 6, 2021 8:34 AM
何それ?意味分かんない
Oct 6, 2021 8:35 AM
Jan 2021
Nooooo ....
This is just another Uma Musume but with ice hockey and without CyGames's involvement :'/

I'm not interested on the anime before I play the mobage, like I treated Uma Musume before, sorry CyberAgent for this time ...

Anyway, the character designs from CraftEgg are looked like they are really inspired by Love Live Sunshine and Bang Dream. Alright ...
Oct 6, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2016
I thought I'm watching another Uma Musume after seeing that idol performance. Nice start. This definitely got all the ingredients to be a good watch.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2021 8:45 AM

Jun 2021
So in the World Cup of Hockey, Japan somehow beats Canada and then the players for Japan all of a sudden changes into idol uniforms and start dancing in the middle of the rink? Oh boy, I need whatever drugs these people are taking.

After watching episode 1, it really felt like a half-assed hybrid of sports and idol anime. Not to mention an ominous message to "play the game!" at the end, which is even a bigger turn off.

The character designs for the sisters were kind of weird. Are they suppose to be half-sisters? Because they look nothing alike. Also, what will be one of the biggest issues with this show is that they decided to mix an idol show with a sport that requires their players to wear helmets. Once they are all helmeted, it's going to be very difficult to tell all of these characters apart. If they were so adamant about adding an idol component to this show, they really should have chosen a sport that does not require helmets.

The VAs didn't sound terrible, but definitely subpar, which is expected give that for most of them, this is their first major role.

I'll keep watching for now, but I don't see much potential here.
Oct 6, 2021 9:02 AM

Jan 2018
Man I knew this was gonna be along CGDCT, but I didn't know it was gonna be idol shit

Rip, also lol Japan being in the WC Finals, let alone beating Canada
What a beautiful Duwang
Oct 6, 2021 9:17 AM

Jul 2021
Finally a hockey anime!!! This is one sport that I really want to play someday because there are many satisfying games out there involving hockey matches and this sport is finally shining into an anime show <3 anyways 1st episode was great, op was pretty good although it made me thought that it's going to be an idol anime but thankfully it's not related to music during the girl's dialogue: more towards to getting to know these girls better and the ambience going on is very lovely so far. As of what gives me optimism to look forward in this show is when Manaka encourages the girls to apply for the ice hockey together and giving a go to get an new experience that gives a hint of foreshadowing future events that I think will affect their friendship with one another who knows? Also two other characters Riko and Naomi, participated in the Ice Hockey!! It's surprising that this hockey anime is all girls which I've never seen before in a anime or irl so that's something rare. The coach is pretty interesting, showing off her ambition in ice hockey and giving the girls a "Phony Stretch Dance" warmup which I find it hilarious and fast forward, the coach taught the girls how to play hockey like the basics and stuff such as the puck and hockey stick function, player's movement with clear sight demonstration, the game duration and the winning system -pretty much what a typical ice hockey class provides lul.

Visual wise is great and op and ed are okay too, would be better if it's rock like Haikyuu to the top, "Kessen Spirit" by chico with honeywork but I guess since it's an original and we don't know what type of ambience is happening this season for this show so I think it's fine for now <3
CQLLISTOct 6, 2021 9:22 AM
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 6, 2021 9:31 AM

Jun 2020
Great start. Usually in cgdct I think 1 character stands out from the rest so I was surprised that I found them evenly enjoyable.
Oct 6, 2021 9:35 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I like the hockey theme and it looks interesting but the girls were just boring for their design and personality to be honest I feel like it will be a forgettable experience even though it was pretty good for a 1st episode
Oct 6, 2021 9:35 AM

Nov 2008
This is at least pure ice hockey than an idol anime/hockey mix, but it sure likes to fool the viewer to think otherwise, even that stretch warmup reeks of idol routines. Ayaka is absolutely adorable and the best girl so far.

Oct 6, 2021 9:49 AM

Jul 2011
Thinking about it, the coach, have the same mentality to whoever began the UmaMusume in-world idea, something that I never thought about it till now.

Get a Dream Monkeys jersey sounds like a plan for me.

Im sold to keep watching till the end.
Oct 6, 2021 9:52 AM
Mar 2021
As an avid Ice Hockey fan and player, this show is a dream come true. Ive been waiting since this show got announced for it to come out and my expectations were high but this episode blew them out of the water!!! Those drills when they first got on the ice brought back some good memories. One last thing before I am done is the end scenes. My god that stretch save that Kaoruko made beautifully animated. Amazing job guys, can't wait for the game and the rest of the show!!!!
Vignette___Oct 6, 2021 9:59 AM
Oct 6, 2021 10:05 AM

Mar 2016
It's idolshit. lmao. Would rather it be that coach's delusion, and played off as a joke, but it looks like that's the direction it's going (unless they're playing mind tricks on us, but I doubt I'll continue this either way). The character dynamics are pretty okay. All the people that wanted to see brutal hockey playing, and fighting, are going to be disappointed.
syncrogazerOct 6, 2021 10:16 AM
Oct 6, 2021 10:07 AM

Oct 2017
This feels way too much like an idol show lol.

So wholesome and lively.

Great ED.
Oct 6, 2021 10:11 AM
Oct 2020
A little disappointed that they have to incorporate idol genre into my favorite sport, but I’m not gonna sit here and be mad about it. I like idol anime, I like sports anime, I don’t know if I will like sports idols anime… I’m still gonna watch it because I’d like to see a serious hockey anime emerge from it at some point. Plus it’s only one episode, too early to judge anything.
Oct 6, 2021 11:01 AM
May 2018
RobertBobert said:
Animendez said:

If this franchise and the next World Cup are hyped, they will. Think about how the Asian Football Championship and the Olympic Games promoted several football and sports shows in general.

I hope so I could certainly see it happening, Japan is a growing hockey market and the world is on the verge of accepting anime as something as mainstream as video games so this could end up being great for hockey lol.
Oct 6, 2021 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
I thought I'm watching another Uma Musume after seeing that idol performance. Nice start. This definitely got all the ingredients to be a good watch.

syncrogazer said:
It's idolshit. lmao. Would rather it be that coach's delusion, and played off as a joke, but it looks like that's the direction it's going (unless they're playing mind tricks on us, but I doubt I'll continue this either way). The character dynamics are pretty okay. All the people that wanted to see brutal hockey playing, and fighting, are going to be disappointed.

Wait, they non-ironically added idols here? I thought it would be something like other moe sports games like soccer with cute girls.
Oct 6, 2021 11:02 AM

Apr 2012
Animendez said:
RobertBobert said:

I hope so I could certainly see it happening, Japan is a growing hockey market and the world is on the verge of accepting anime as something as mainstream as video games so this could end up being great for hockey lol.

Well, even though I was born in Russia, I don't know anything about hockey. But I hope it really does, especially when we got 2-3 adaptations of soccer manga over the years.
Oct 6, 2021 11:25 AM

Oct 2016
Did it spoil its finale right at the beginning? It totally did right? Anyways this is not my type of anime in the least so yeah, not reason for me to keep watching, hope you people enjoy it.

(The instrumental bgm during the episode was cool I think)
Oct 6, 2021 11:27 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

syncrogazer said:

Wait, they non-ironically added idols here? I thought it would be something like other moe sports games like soccer with cute girls.

Low-key. The vibes are there. After each win they perform a dance. The coach is bit crazy.

But man, just watch the episode yourself instead of just talking about.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 6, 2021 11:30 AM

Apr 2012
FMmatron said:
RobertBobert said:

Low-key. The vibes are there. After each win they perform a dance. The coach is bit crazy.

I haven't got a chance to watch it yet, so all I can do is ask lol.
Oct 6, 2021 11:32 AM

Nov 2016
RobertBobert said:
FMmatron said:

I haven't got a chance to watch it yet, so all I can do is ask lol.

Save some questions for later;)

Oct 6, 2021 11:37 AM

Jul 2015
I have grown out of Cute Girls Doing Sports in Cute Way kind of anime long ago, but since C2C also commited Harukana Receive, which was actually phenomenal and one of the most underrated shows out there, I'll totally give it a shot.

Oct 6, 2021 11:56 AM

May 2021
So this is the first ice hockey anime huh. The episode was pretty good and character designs are pretty cute too. Looking forward to the next episode.
AISHITERU...REM!
Oct 6, 2021 12:51 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
First hockey anime but it appears to be also an idol anime. How could you fit an idol group inside a sports anime? That's what I seeking for.

But the start is weird. They started as embroidery club. Maybe there is something in embroidery is applicable to ice hockey, but that's for later. They found ice hockey purely because of curiosity. No one shown a disagreement. Another weird part.

The balance of the characters is in concerning state. The only one who is on the other side of the balance is a single forgettable assistant of Yoko. But he didn't do something to suppress the unnatural excitement of the girls. The girls agreed that ice hockey is brilliant. Even a character said that ice hockey beats embroidery which she is familiar with since the very early stage of her life.

I started to doubt this anime would do something negative to stabilize the balance. But the last member teased in the end of episode could overturn my doubt.

Oct 6, 2021 12:54 PM
May 2017
Apart from the hockey, I don't think there was a single original thing in this entire episode. Characters are all completely flat and one-note, the dialogue was neither endearing nor interesting, and the whole idol thing is just pointless and annoying. Hopefully the next episode is better, but given the first episode I doubt this will ever even come close to being as good as other cute girl sports anime like Girls und Panzer or Dumbell. And why did it open with what's probably the very end of the show? Is it because they knew the rest of the episode is so boring people would tune out without an idol number?

That being said, it's about hockey and Canada is the evil final boss so of course I'm still going to watch it.
Oct 6, 2021 1:01 PM
Jun 2019
I'm amazed any of them could skate so well, considering no one ever removed the blade protectors. Not even the teacher.
Oct 6, 2021 1:07 PM
Apr 2021
I find it odd that they mentioned specifically that it was women’s hockey that had body checking as a penalty because in Canada and the states body checking isn’t allowed unless you are on a rep team for bantam or midget
Oct 6, 2021 1:26 PM
Review Moderator
Onii Chan

Mar 2018
There is no such thing as the world cup of hockey and Japan certainly wouldn't beat Canada at it, hard for me to take this show seriously from the start.
Oct 6, 2021 1:43 PM

Jul 2019
CGDCT like drinking tea, needlework, gossiping and hockey tryouts! The dance part in the opener was slightly confusing but everything cleared when we were introduced to a coach-innovator in youth women hockey.

I might watch this every week to unload the mind, there won't be serious messages in it, just the obvious ups and downs of hockey friends.

*Forgot to add that the ending was super cute, all the puck movement and girls portraits.
townghostOct 6, 2021 2:01 PM
Oct 6, 2021 1:49 PM
Oct 2020
Sadly checking is an illegal move, hopefully, some of the girls get sent to the penalty box then.
Oct 6, 2021 1:55 PM
Apr 2021
I was not expecting this to be an idol show but I'm guessing that was the only way to guarantee viewership for the home audience. I'm disappointed but still going to watch because I love hockey.
Didn't know checking was illegal for women's leagues, you learn something new everyday.

And them beating Canada was hilarious
GlancingWormOct 6, 2021 2:00 PM
Oct 6, 2021 2:09 PM
May 2018
ACasualViewer said:
There is no such thing as the world cup of hockey and Japan certainly wouldn't beat Canada at it, hard for me to take this show seriously from the start.

News flash dream monkeys isn’t a real team either lol
Tbh i think Anime studios are just weird about copyright and they usually always play it safe and modify stuff
Oct 6, 2021 2:11 PM

Jul 2021
First sports anime I've ever watched, so not really sure how they're typically set up but I was not expecting that at all.

The mix of idols and sports is interesting, I'm guessing that's to pull in viewers from Love Live and Bandori. However this first episode felt pretty slow, and it felt like the whole hockey thing was brought up just out of nowhere and like an afterthough.

Though I'm gonna continue this, I was super hyped for it earlier today and I really just wanna see where it goes.
Oct 6, 2021 2:15 PM

Mar 2016
So, no one is going to make a comment about how the girls are dancing perfectly fine on literal ice wearing boots? It’s as if coefficient of friction weren’t a thing…^^;
Oct 6, 2021 2:53 PM

Feb 2017
ACasualViewer said:

world cup of hockey actually is a thing apparently. i laughed and said to myself "there's no way this is a thing" then googled world cup of hockey and found out it was a thing loool https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Cup_of_Hockey

//

wasnt expecting this to be an idol sports anime lmaoooo. im hyped tf up for a hockey anime though. i grew up surrounded by nhl fans and have always said that i'd like to see a hockey anime so im just very shocked that this is a thing thats happening. im interested to see the direction that this goes in; hopefully its more hockey than idol activities

placeholder text
Oct 6, 2021 3:18 PM

Apr 2012
Judgment526 said:
So, no one is going to make a comment about how the girls are dancing perfectly fine on literal ice wearing boots? It’s as if coefficient of friction weren’t a thing…^^;

Nah, I remember a manga where the female MC quickly became a talented skater because of her martial arts background. Although, somewhere in the 90s there was a film about a former tough guy who becomes a partner of the main character in ice dancing. Both hockey and figure skating are ice skating sports, what's the difference lol?

realswagmoney said:
First sports anime I've ever watched, so not really sure how they're typically set up but I was not expecting that at all.

The mix of idols and sports is interesting, I'm guessing that's to pull in viewers from Love Live and Bandori. However this first episode felt pretty slow, and it felt like the whole hockey thing was brought up just out of nowhere and like an afterthough.

Though I'm gonna continue this, I was super hyped for it earlier today and I really just wanna see where it goes.

Modern idol shows are literally musical shows based on sports tropes. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the creators of Love Live or Idolmaster anime even spoke directly about it.
Oct 6, 2021 4:07 PM
Jul 2019
I’ve finally gotten an hockey anime 10/10
Oct 6, 2021 5:44 PM

Mar 2016
Idols on hockey? Yeah... I didn't signed up for this shit. Dropped.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 6, 2021 6:57 PM

Sep 2020
I went into this super blind so I didn't know I was getting Idol Hockey Anime.

I enjoyed the hockey parts and I think the characters are ok so far. I'm not excited for the idol stuff though. I just really wanna see some ice hockey.

I was so damn excited going in and then they started singing and shit, hope it doesn't detract from the hockey.

Oct 6, 2021 7:08 PM
Mar 2021
Hahaha nothing to do but I do not watch hokey in real life even if I live in Canada, but I will watch this anime. :)
Oct 6, 2021 7:33 PM

Jan 2020
I thought it was fine. Only issue with it was when Japan beat Canada since that would never happen but I didn't hate it.

The idol stuff is a bit weird but it's not the first time I've seen such a thing + I find the actual hockey stuff to be interesting and the Canadian blood in me refusing to think otherwise.

It's nice seeing a hockey anime

Oct 6, 2021 7:43 PM

Dec 2014
The opening sequence was awesome, kinda got caught off guard with the idol style performance out of nowhere but I enjoyed it.

Manaka is essentially just Chika without her hair not in a braid but with a side ponytail. xD

Definitely has the potential to be a good watch, looking forward to it.
Oct 6, 2021 8:04 PM

Apr 2018
As a finn I'm so happy to finally see a ice hockey anime. I don't mind the whole idol thing, but I really hope sometime in the future, we would get real men's ice hockey anime.

C2C animated the game scenes really well. I'm exited to see where this goes from here.

And I really want to see a finnish ice hockey team in this anime. C2C pretty please. :DD
Watashi wa a victim of cyberbullying. Everyday someone online calls me a "weeb" desu. Watashi won't stand for this. 26 percent of bullying victims are chosen due to their race or religion desu. I may look like a basic white boy, but deep down I am Nihongo desu. Watashi religion is anime. Anata wa bullying me because of my race and religion desu ka? Disgusting desu. Anata should be ashamed of yourself, racist pig. A baka gaijin like anata is probably jealous of my race and culture, cause Nippon is more sugoi than your shitty country desu. Watashi pity anata. You'll never be Nihongo like watashi. Educate yourself on nani a "weeb" is.
Oct 6, 2021 8:18 PM

Jan 2011
as a Canadian i was excited to see a anime finally about hockey despite me actually hating it because i cover it as my job and think it's a dumb sport lol but it's such a rare mainstream sport (not in japan) that just doesn't get any animes

but my disappointment is immeasurable i like idols as much as the next person but why you gotta slap this into hockey?? and for most of the episode i was wondering where all the hockey was, the CGDCT vibes were too strong for how i typically see players i wanted to see loud intense and angry emotion's ! was hoping the coach would scare em

also them beating a canadian team is the biggest joke even their worse ranking team would wreck them ,it's like if kuroko no basket went up vs a American team they would just get wiped out despite the anime powers and i still need to see the final movie because i think they do go to the US
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is it true to hockey rules

Foreall908 - May 14, 2023

2 by Escenity »»
May 15, 2023 12:20 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 11 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 15, 2021

12 by Foreall908 »»
May 14, 2023 8:00 PM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Dec 1, 2021

15 by Destroyer31 »»
May 6, 2023 10:44 PM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 3, 2021

22 by Destroyer31 »»
May 6, 2023 10:30 AM

Poll: » Puraore! Pride of Orange Episode 8 Discussion

AkeZZZ - Nov 24, 2021

18 by Romax24245 »»
Apr 10, 2023 11:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.