New
Oct 6, 2021 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
I'm planning on watching fate series should I start with fate zero or UB
OR this one
Oct 6, 2021 3:43 AM

Jan 2017
Abdul-Ahad-12345 said:
I'm planning on watching fate series should I start with fate zero or UB OR this one

You are supposed to start with this one , but the visuals are outdated , and since UBW is more Action-packed , a lot of people just skip it and go straight to UBW.
Zero should be watched after all 3 Stay Night , but it's considered as the best serie out of all Fate , so a lot of people watch it first.

So i'll recommend to follow the original order :

Fate/Stay Night (2006)

Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works - Prologue
Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works
Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season
Fate/Stay Night : Unlimited Blade Works 2nd Season - Sunny Day

Fate/Stay Night Movie : Heaven's Feel I - Presage Flower
Fate/Stay Night Movie : Heaven's Feel II - Lost Butterfly
Fate/Stay Night Movie : Heaven's Feel III - Spring Song

Fate/Zero
Fate/Zero 2nd Season

Notes :
Fate/Stay Night 2006's visuals are outdated (Especially when compared to Ufotable's) and if you don't understand Shirô, he can be extremely annoying. (More than in the other adaptations)
A lot of people suggest to skip it, but it's still the best way to get into the franchise (without reading the Visual Novel) thanks to the exposition.
It's also the only serie that focus on Saber, and have the fantastic OSTs of Kenji Kawai.
(OST Sample)

Watching the Kara no Kyoukai movies can help to clarify the ending of Heaven's Feel III.

Even if you don't want to read the Visual Novel, i still recommend to read the following chapters :
Last Episode, Epilogue of 2006. (There is also a Manga Adaptation of it, but it spoil Unlimited Blade Works)
When It's Spring & Cherry Blossom's Dream, "Normal End", Alternative Ending of Heaven's Feel.
Sparks Liner High, Shirô VS Saber Alter Fight (Bad Ending of Heaven's Feel)

Fate/Zero is considered by many as the best serie of the entire franchise, but being a prequel, it expect you to be already familiar with the lore, and to know the outcome of it.
You can watch it first, but the info dump can be rough, the serie will spoil most twists of the three Stay Night series, and the general tone is not the same as the rest of the franchise. (The Author of Zero, Gen Urobuchi himself suggest to watch it in last)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Oct 6, 2021 3:47 AM
Feb 2021
Abdul-Ahad-12345 said:
OR this one
start with this one, it’s not that good, but it’s best entry point
Oct 6, 2021 4:02 AM
Jun 2020
Watch it at last, fs/n contains spoilers for all other fate routes. Also jt hasn't aged well. I watched it last and i recommend others to do the same. Also start from zero.
Oct 6, 2021 4:03 AM
Sep 2020
Abdul-Ahad-12345 said:
OR this one

You shouldn't watch this directly. Go directly to UBw and then watch Zero
Oct 6, 2021 4:12 AM
Jan 2021
Watch this last...........
Oct 6, 2021 4:24 AM
Jul 2018
Don't watch it at all.
Oct 6, 2021 4:26 AM
Jul 2018
Don't listen to other people telling you not to watch Fate/Zero first. Its the best starting point.

People will say it spoils but I'd rather argue it only tells you what you will need to know to enhance your experience for the later UBW and HF.

Also it ends on a really sour note so its best not to end the series with Fate/Zero at all.
Oct 6, 2021 4:52 AM
Jul 2021
Don't watch it go with zero or ubw
Oct 6, 2021 5:07 AM
Nov 2019
Don’t watch it at all.

Just watch Zero then UBW.
Oct 6, 2021 5:32 AM
May 2021
Up to you but I suggest you watching Zero first so you'll get a knack of the fate world
I went from zero -> stay night ->ubw -> heaven's feel but I think you should watch stay night last
Oct 6, 2021 6:53 AM

Apr 2016
It literally does not matter what you watch first.
Oct 6, 2021 7:39 AM

Mar 2020
Abdul-Ahad-12345 said:
OR this one
I'd recommend this or first, it came out first so as a result it references nothing but the vn, just keep in mind while watching it that it isn't the best or the most accurate fate anime

Oct 6, 2021 2:28 PM
Jul 2021
Yeah start with this!
Oct 7, 2021 2:20 PM
Dec 2020
Watch Fate/Zero then watch Fate/Stay Night
Oct 8, 2021 5:35 AM
Dec 2020
I watched it first, can't say I had too much of an issue besides having the first 5 episodes of ubw feel repetitive
Oct 8, 2021 5:50 AM

Aug 2017
dont watch this one at all tbh because it is a bad adaptation
Oct 8, 2021 9:48 PM
Apr 2020
Never. lmao Watch Fate Zero first. Then UBW. You can watch Heavens Feel 1-3 after. Babylonia is great but really only fully appreciated if you play FGO
Oct 8, 2021 9:48 PM
Apr 2020
Never. lmao Watch Fate Zero first. Then UBW. You can watch Heavens Feel 1-3 after. Babylonia is great but really only fully appreciated if you play FGO
Oct 10, 2021 3:10 AM
Aug 2020
Abdul-Ahad-12345 said:
OR this one
Yes start with this one
Oct 17, 2021 10:01 AM

Aug 2013
I just started on the Fate series myself and was in the same predicament you're in. Had lots of ppl telling me to start with this or start with the prequel in Zero.

I will tell you now being halfway through UBW that 100% no doubt in my mind was it the best choice to start with Zero.

In a perfect world you'd probably want to watch it in the order of

Zero
Fate/Stay Night
Unlimited Blade Works
Heaven's Feel

I can see someone recommending to start with the original Fate/Stay Night if only to develop more familiarity with Saber and to get the weakest link of the 3 main routes out of the way first as everything only gets much much better from there.

But ultimately watching Zero first for me made Fate/Stay Night MUCH better with the context you have coming in. Likewise, even though Fate/Stay Night is the weakest anime route of the 3 (Fate/Stay Night, UBW, Heaven's Feel) watching Fate Stay/Night before UBW has made UBW even better for me as well.

To answer your question, as someone who was in your position like a week ago and has gone through Zero, Fate/Stay Night and is halfway through UBW now, the best answer by far is the start the franchise with watching Zero. It makes everything better upon a first viewing. Anything that *may* be "spoiled" by watching Zero is revealed better, more effectively, yet more discreetly than in Fate/Stay Night. Believe me when I tell you, you're not missing out on some really big meaningful moments by seeing them actually be bigger and more meaningful in Zero.

More topics from this board

» VN fan are annoying as Hell

chevalierkraken - Yesterday

19 by certifiedbinger »»
22 minutes ago

» Seriously bro

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Apr 9

10 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 10, 4:55 AM

Poll: » This or Unlimited Blade Works

Fukoku - Mar 28

13 by deg »»
Mar 31, 9:07 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

135 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 7, 8:25 AM

» Zero or Unlimited Blade Works

infinite_Shadows - Feb 15

16 by Law_of_Cycles »»
Feb 24, 11:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.