Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 17, 2022 2:38 PM
Jan 2022
LordSozin said:
No he isn't. What? All he has ever done in the show was to provide the allure of threat and suspense. When the conclusion came along, it was lame. I guess his presence, or lack there of, really harmed him as an antagonist for me.

You did not understand the ending. He clearly wanted to end himself and the monster in him and he thought Tenma would do it, after they both are the last living beings, even after he said he treated Tenma as his parent. Basically giving the person who meant the most to him the worst suffering possible. That’s just how evil the dude was.
Jan 17, 2022 8:57 PM
May 2020
He's one of the greatest along with Chrollo, Oikawa, Shaiapouf, Hisoka, Meruem, Gilgamesh, Reiner, Hoshiumi
Jan 18, 2022 3:09 AM

Jun 2020
Yeah probably
The only antagonists that come close to him are Griffith and Funny Valentine imo
Jan 18, 2022 2:03 PM
Jan 2021
I wouldn't say Johan is the greatest antagonist, but he's a character with complexities that deserve further exploration. Many people say that Johan is a one-dimensional antagonist, he is a psychopath and pure evil. But there are also people who say Johan is not a psychopath or pure evil, because Johan is not like psychopaths in general.

He can still control himself and not aggressive unlike the psychopaths in general. Johan has ever cried too, but psychopaths in general have really blunt emotional abilities, making it difficult for them to shed tears. Johan rarely confronts his victims face-to-face, preferring to use other people to set their goals and mainly operates behind the scenes, using his intuition and strong influence as an advantage rather than a direct confrontation. This is why
. Honestly, I completely disagree that Johan is a psychopath or pure evil even though the majority think Johan is like that
Jan 18, 2022 2:13 PM

Feb 2021
he is one of the greatest for sure, but I don't think he's on the number 1 seat because that's reserved for Griffith from Berserk

Aug 1, 2022 4:26 PM

Aug 2020
I don't think so. There are many ideas about him that go loose and/or unexplained. Such as that money scheme and mafia leadership. Also, he is refered as the biggest evil, but this idea never really gets expanded.

But I can get why people like the guy. He has an atmosphere surrounded by mist.

Aug 1, 2022 4:28 PM

Aug 2020
MindlessWalker said:
He's an interesting character but his charisma bordering on mind control is never actually demonstrated and his entire character is more of a symbol of nihilism than anything, honestly. He's became the Antichrist because he was brainwashed as a child, that's his entire character. There are villains with much more nuanced and well-established personalities, for example:

Bondrewd from Made in Abyss, and his incredibly twisted idea of love and his willingness to do anything for science and to further his own knowledge of the abyss. His motivations are entirely believable given the situation and give actual food for thought.

Griffith from Berserk, and his descent into madness as his obsessive ambitiousness slowly overwhelmed whatever humanity he had left in him.

Johan isn't really a fully fleshed out human being, which imo works in the story's favor b/c Monster is more about the side characters and Tenma/Johan's impact on them rather than the mystery behind Johan, but this means that Tenma/Johan are basically reduced to plot devices who neither receive development nor are complex, 3-dimensional human beings

Yes I agree. I remember reading a review from an user here, that expanded these ideas. But this is just what I think.

Aug 1, 2022 4:30 PM

Aug 2020
LordSozin said:
No he isn't. What? All he has ever done in the show was to provide the allure of threat and suspense. When the conclusion came along, it was lame. I guess his presence, or lack there of, really harmed him as an antagonist for me.

Yes, he never really lives up to his "monster" status. Alright, he kills people, and this is bad. But this is so generic. Many characters in Monster do worse thing than him tbh

Aug 1, 2022 8:53 PM

Aug 2020
KitsuFreeze said:
I don't think so. There are many ideas about him that go loose and/or unexplained. Such as that money scheme and mafia leadership.
you don't need to explain everything to be the best "x".

KitsuFreeze said:
Also, he is refered as the biggest evil, but this idea never really gets expanded.
it was. You just have to catch the clues and deduce them. "Show don't tell". Pretty sure everyone's heard of that.
Aug 2, 2022 3:49 AM

Aug 2020
TRC_Randy said:
KitsuFreeze said:
I don't think so. There are many ideas about him that go loose and/or unexplained. Such as that money scheme and mafia leadership.
you don't need to explain everything to be the best "x"

Everything? The show doesn't explain almost nothing about him, and his whole plan doesn't really go anywhere relevant. If the idea was to be mysterious, the writer still needs to explain the minimum. Plus his actions are conditioned by nazis, and therefore he was "meant" to act like that.

Bondrewd's actions for example make sense for the character, he had free will and decided to do things his own way.

KitsuFreeze said:
Also, he is refered as the biggest evil, but this idea never really gets expanded.
it was. You just have to catch the clues and deduce them. "Show don't tell". Pretty sure everyone's heard of that.

Again, there aren't enough clues since he just shows up a feel times to do sinister things just to look like it.

I think that people overthink Monster sometimes, when there isn't much to go. And I'm not even talking about the 74 episodes count, which for a quest on finding-the-killer is very long and dragged.

Aug 2, 2022 5:50 AM

Aug 2020
KitsuFreeze said:
Everything? The show doesn't explain almost nothing about him
wdym doesn't explain anything? We got his backstory about him coming from Czech Republic, escaped to the border, found by General Wolf, sent to the orphanage etc, he's an intelligent psychopath, nihilist, plays with fate, traces his past, battles Tenma ideologically about human lives etc. Fr, what issue do you have?

KitsuFreeze said:
and his whole plan doesn't really go anywhere relevant. If the idea was to be mysterious, the writer still needs to explain the minimum. Plus his actions are conditioned by nazis
"conditioned by nazis" sorry mate our discussion ends here. At this point you're just missing the details of the story bcoz Johan was never "conditioned by the nazis". He only joined them when he was an adult.
Aug 2, 2022 1:26 PM

Aug 2020
pasanoid said:
Johan had almost 0 presence throughout the show. Some call it 'well written' but in reality it is the opposite. Johan was talked about by well written characters while being poorly written himself

Yes, and the anime just throws you this idea of "yeah, he is so intelligent you won't get it, so we don't need to explain you". And there is also his last moments in plot who are another issue, but stupid mindless fans don't get such an obvious thing.

Aug 3, 2022 1:16 PM
Aug 2020
No. Johan is a very mysterious being - so mysterious, that almost nothing about him made sense. I waited till the end of the series to find out what was charming about him, but nothing really made me think that he is a great antagonist. if anything, he seems like the antagonist version of most op shounen protagonist.

1. There is a lack of proper etiology of his psychological status. He never experienced any sort of traumatic event in Czechoslovaka - it was Anna who experienced those. Also, he was never conditioned to become a psychopath before he and Anna crossed to Germany. However, while they were crossing the border, he killed the farmer couple who took them in. So this all boils down to Johan being naturally evil rather than having his experiences make him who he is. It would have been different if his psychopathic personality arose from his time in Kinderheim 511.

2. His methods of "manipulating" and killing others remain unexplained. This show was praised for its realism, but there was nothing realistic about how Johan manipulates and kills people. Writing a name at a sandbox at the park was the method he used to manipulate some psychopaths. In reality, this would clearly not work. Most people won't get the message that you are trying to convey if you only write names in a sandbox. Also, how he obtained poison to kill the doctors in the hospital was never explained. Johan was in a severe condition when he was shot in the head. But somehow, he was able to obtain nitric acid even though he should be non-ambulatory. The hospital is full of staffs, so if ever he was able to walk, it would still be really improbable for him to use the hospital's stock of nitric acid (if there's any, hospitals do not use this chemical) without being found out.

3. His character is far too perfect for an antagonist. He's supposedly intelligent, calm, organized, charismatic (not), destructive, crafty, deceptive, etc. Everything goes exactly as how he planned. Nothing about him feels human, which is exactly what the author wanted him to be - a perfect monster. A supposedly perfect character doesn't really sit well with me. This might be my own bias, but I generally do not fancy characters who I cannot empathize or sympathize with. Johan, being perfect in personality, wisdom, and practically everything, makes him dull and unrelatable.

4. He has plot armor. Was shot twice in two different occasions on the head. He survived both times. He could have been dead in many situations too if only Tenma and other characters pulled the trigger. Tenma could have killed Johan at the Library, but he resisted since he was a patient that he saved. Even so, Tenma already shot Roberto with the intent to kill. Why hesitate to shoot Johan at that point? Other characters also had the chance to kill Johan but always hesitated when he's at gunpoint.

Monster, as a series, was very influential to me. Many small arcs were actually great - especially those with Grimmer in it. The only thing that drags this series down for me was the thing that was supposed to be what makes this series great. Sadly, I am disappointed with how Johan was constructed. I was expecting him to be grounded and maybe slightly reasonable since he is glorified as one of the best antagonists ever, but I never came to like his character.
Aug 5, 2022 6:42 AM

Dec 2012
TRC_Randy said:
KitsuFreeze said:
Everything? The show doesn't explain almost nothing about him
wdym doesn't explain anything? We got his backstory about him coming from Czech Republic, escaped to the border, found by General Wolf, sent to the orphanage etc, he's an intelligent psychopath, nihilist, plays with fate, traces his past, battles Tenma ideologically about human lives etc. Fr, what issue do you have?

KitsuFreeze said:
and his whole plan doesn't really go anywhere relevant. If the idea was to be mysterious, the writer still needs to explain the minimum. Plus his actions are conditioned by nazis
"conditioned by nazis" sorry mate our discussion ends here. At this point you're just missing the details of the story bcoz Johan was never "conditioned by the nazis". He only joined them when he was an adult.

Lmao spot on dude perfectly summed up
Aug 5, 2022 7:13 PM

Aug 2020
BigBossQb said:
Lmao spot on dude perfectly summed up
yeah i mean i'm perfectly fine with criticisms that challenge my beliefs but by not paying attention to what he watched is simply HIS OWN error.
Sep 4, 2022 11:10 PM
Sep 2022
DoctorWasabi said:
I mean Doflamingo and Katakuri from One Piece easily take the place of best antagonist of all time.

I have seen Monster, and I do think Johan's a great antagonist, but Monsters atrocious pacing issues gave him a lot less screen time/development time.

LMAO, If you truly believe that any One Piss character can approach the level of complexity, nuance, interpretation, and development of a character like Johan, then I can't help but laugh.
Sep 4, 2022 11:15 PM

Jun 2016
Only if you are 16 or younger
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

114 by egeD19 »»
Yesterday, 10:03 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 74 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

babykeiji - Apr 23, 2008

623 by Animequeen_xx »»
Apr 13, 5:54 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 11, 2008

134 by Ajanokoyna »»
Apr 13, 7:25 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 55 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kayro - Apr 15, 2008

70 by Dekuforce5 »»
Apr 13, 3:15 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

106 by wallus81 »»
Apr 8, 10:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.