Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Nov 9] Web Novel Writing Contest Semi-Finalist Voting Begins!

New
Oct 4, 2021 2:38 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007

Which web novel do you want to read as manga?

Three months ago, we announced a writing contest designed to help overseas fans realize their dream of being published—and debut with their very own manga in Japan! Writers had two short months to write the first volumes for their web novels. Our judges then narrowed down all eligible novels into the best 10 for each prompt.

Now we need your help to narrow down these 10 semi-finalists x 5 prompts to the final winners! The two highest voted semi-finalist novels in each category will go on to the Final Round, to be held later in November.

Try out these semi-finalist novels and let us know which you want to see brought to life as published manga. Voting periods are only a week long for each story prompt, so taste test them all: you can always read the rest of the story later.

Don’t miss voting on the semi-finalist stories for your favorite themes.
Impossible Romance: Oct 3-9
Survivor Slaughter: Oct 10-16
My New Life As A...: Oct 17-23
When the Clock Strikes Midnight: Oct 24-30
Who Needs Plot: Oct 31-Nov 6

Novels can be read on any device, but votes must be cast using the official MAL app.

Learn more about the contest.

Update
We have investigated the rankings of the semi-finalist rounds. As a result, the following modifications have been made:
  • The second place tie of Survivor Slaughter has been broken and Six will pass to the final round.
  • The second place tie of My New Life As A... has been broken and A Whisper in Scarlet will pass to the final round.
  • Second place of Who Needs Plot will be given to Cat's Hour ~猫の時間~.
To discourage vote manipulation in the final round, total votes will not be shown. We will also be randomizing the order of novels per session to offer more fairness in the voting process. Thank you for your feedback and support in improving the contest.

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind finalists that we are not here to see who can solicit the most bystanders to vote for their novel. The purpose is to see which story the community as a whole enjoys the most. This means the content of your novel should speak for itself. Please refrain from turning this into an advertising contest instead of a writing contest.

Best of luck to all the finalists! The final voting round will be open from Nov 14 to Nov 30.
KinetaNov 9, 2021 6:09 PM
Oct 4, 2021 3:12 AM
Aug 2021
Seeess yadng z
Oct 4, 2021 3:12 AM

Dec 2015
I had a lot of fun in this competition and I never thought I'd come as far as to be in the semi-finals! I wish everybody the best of luck with their entries and creative endeavours.

Now, if anybody's willing to do me a solid, pls vote UnCrowned!
Oct 4, 2021 3:35 AM
Jul 2020
Yoooo! Let's go!
Oct 4, 2021 3:36 AM

May 2020
Sevenlock said:
I had a lot of fun in this competition and I never thought I'd come as far as to be in the semi-finals! I wish everybody the best of luck with their entries and creative endeavours.

Seven my man, great work out there for these 3 months. UnCrowned is seriously amazing, good job and thank you for all the hard work. Highly recommended to anyone to read UnCrowned and vote for it in the semi-finals.
Oct 4, 2021 6:05 AM
Jul 2020
Sevenlock said:

Ill second this. Uncrowned was a blast to read, and I 100% recomend it to everyone. Check it out now!
Oct 4, 2021 6:10 AM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
@Kuroni_Kuru
Looks like "Who Needs Plot?" will be the last one. Can't imagine how much that waiting and anticipation are gonna kill ya, lol. I can barely even wait for the "My New Life as a..." results to see if I made the top 10 which I doubt I did, but oh, well. *Shrug*

Well, good luck to all the Impossible Romance entrants! :)
My greatest contribution to this website:
Oct 4, 2021 7:15 AM

Dec 2012
Kineta said:

votes must be cast using the official MAL app.

Excuse me if I may ask, but why? I don't want a mobile app.
Oct 4, 2021 8:49 AM

Jan 2015
Congratulations to everyone that made it to the semi-finals!(for the first prompt). I'll probably try to read at least a little bit of the ones I haven't checked out yet. Also thirding that Uncrowned is really good.
Oct 4, 2021 9:06 AM

Apr 2014
Dang I wanted to enter this but no way I could meet the deadline. Maybe next time.
Oct 4, 2021 10:13 AM

Jul 2021
I’ve never written a light novel before, so I’m very surprised to see how many people enjoyed reading BLOODY BAT ROMEO at HoneyFeed! Thank you for this opportunity, and whoever compared BBR to Tokyo Revengers, my favorite show of the season!

Please vote for BLOODY BAT ROMEO if you’d like to see it move forward in the competition!
Oct 4, 2021 12:49 PM

Jun 2021
Uncrowned and Bloody Bat Romeo are really good. Read through both of them entirely. You can guess what I plan to vote for.
Oct 5, 2021 1:45 AM
Jul 2018
Sevenlock said:

I'm like the fourth person saying this, but I read UnCrowned all the way through in one night, and it was definitely worth the tiredness the next day. The writing was awesome, just like a published novel IMO. Really fantastic read, and totally worth your vote.

Awesome job to everyone, there were some absolutely incredible entries!
Oct 5, 2021 4:05 AM
Aug 2021
Good uck to all the competitors I wil definately read whoever wins (:
Oct 5, 2021 11:48 AM
Sep 2020
How do I check out the novels. Sorry I'm not quite good with how things go around in mal (or work to be more precise). If anyone can help that would be much appreciated
Oct 5, 2021 12:38 PM
Jan 2020
Hi everyone, I am very happy to report that I have qualified for the semifinals of MyAnimeList's Webnovels contest 🖤🖤🖤✨ and I am very happy about it, practically fulfilled just by being seen and chosen.

To help me out, I'd like to ask you to take a look at Backward Steps, and, if possible, vote for the novel as well. Thank you very much in advance for your attention and care ❤️🙇🏻‍♀️
Oct 5, 2021 1:06 PM
Jul 2018
Maq_uia said:
How do I check out the novels. Sorry I'm not quite good with how things go around in mal (or work to be more precise). If anyone can help that would be much appreciated

Here is a link to all of the Impossible Romance semi-finalists on the Honeyfeed website: https://www.honeyfeed.fm/contests/myanimelist_x_honeyfeed
Oct 5, 2021 11:11 PM

Jul 2021
A big thanks to everyone at MAL, Honeyfeed, and Kodansha who made this contest possible. It was a nice motivator for me to start a new WIP and, more significantly, actually finish a draft for it. :)

Also: a big thanks to everyone who has given my story a try. I hope you enjoy reading some of Risako and Yasuo's strange encounters with yokai!
Hello, I am writing a story for the MyAnimeList and Honeyfeed contest.
It is called "Questionable Days with Yokai."
Please feel free to check it out! :)
Oct 6, 2021 12:19 AM
Jan 2020
Are other semi-finalists from other themes available @Kineta?
Quirky_analysisOct 9, 2021 7:36 AM
Oct 6, 2021 12:39 AM

Dec 2015
Quirky_analysis said:
Are other semi-finalists from other themes available?
Not yet. The semi-finalists for each theme will be released on that week's theme so the next 10 semi-finalists will be revealed next week
Oct 6, 2021 2:38 AM
Jan 2020
The titles should be released so people would have more time to read them.
Oct 6, 2021 2:32 PM

Jul 2021
You can read novels from every prompt at HoneyFeed but the finalists from the other categories are still a mystery! ^^
Oct 6, 2021 10:00 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Oh good. We're not expected to read and finish all of them before we vote. I read pretty slow, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to finish everyone's web novels on time.;;

Good luck, everyone! This applies to all the prompts, but whether you make it or not, big props to all who finished because you all worked hard-- like holy moly this was no easy feat. Massive respect to you all and good work!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Oct 7, 2021 2:08 PM
Jul 2020
I don't see enough love for 'Why I Write' here. It's a really funny novel and I loved reading it. And I recommend that everyone check it out. The first half's kind of reminiscent of the Monogatari series and the second half is a bunch of mind games. The dialogue and the quips are amazing.

Oct 9, 2021 6:44 PM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
Cho-Desu said:
Also: a big thanks to everyone who has given my story a try. I hope you enjoy reading some of Risako and Yasuo's strange encounters with yokai!

I'm honestly surprised that there aren't more people checking out your novel. The writing is absolutely phenomenal (a lot better than my novel TBH), and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's looking for a good bodyswap or supernatural story. :)

I just wanted to let you know that I voted for QDWY in the contest, and I hope that others will as well before the deadline is over! :D
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Oct 11, 2021 12:16 PM

Jul 2019
Congrats to everyone that made it this far!

Just wanted to say thank you to Honeyfeed and MyAnimeList for giving us this opportunity! This was my first time writing a Light Novel and it was a really great experience. Although it was hard sometimes I had a lot of fun writing BRO: Battle Royale Online!

As I am just a small French writer, I am really thankful to everyone that read my novel, left comments or liked it, it really means a lot.
And if you haven't yet, come give a try to BRO and vote for me if you liked it!

Good luck to everyone!
PolymorpheOct 12, 2021 2:52 AM
Oct 17, 2021 1:16 PM
Dec 2015
Congrats to everyone that made it this far. Please vote for Madman's Forgiveness on the MyAnimeList Android and iOS app. If the author wins the contest, his web novel will get made into a manga by Kodansha, the publisher of Attack on Titan. It would mean so much to the him. Thank you.

Oct 18, 2021 2:41 AM

Oct 2021
Honestly unbelievable that my story made it to semi-finals! If you could give the first chapter or two a read and tell me how you like it, it would mean the world to me!

Obligatory shill aside, a huge thank you to everybody who has supported me up to this point, so that I could have made it as far as I have, and here's to whatever may happen in the near future!
Oct 27, 2021 2:34 AM
Oct 2021
Congratulations!
Oct 31, 2021 6:08 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
Looks like it hasn't updated on MAL yet, but the "Who Needs Plot?" rankings are up on Honeyfeed

Congratulations, @Kuroni_Kuru! I knew you could to it! :D
Oct 31, 2021 6:19 PM
JoJo enthusiast

Dec 2020
It would mean so, so much to me if you voted for my novel! Pretty please! No pressure of course! ^^;
The Sealing Club is back, baby!
Oct 31, 2021 9:14 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
We're at the final prompt! Congratulations to everyone in every prompt who made it in to the semi-finals. Good luck, everyone!

Not gonna lie, I wept openly upon seeing that Witch Cafe Wisteria made it in. Though I had one incredibly supportive friend who helped keep me going, I had friends who refused to read it and were convinced it wouldn't go anywhere. Though I felt a little discouraged, writing this story made me feel so happy, so I just kept doing my best. Hopefully others can find happiness in it too. Whether I advance or not, my heart is so full just from making it here. Thank you so much!

For anyone who hasn't already, please feel free to read Witch Cafe Wisteria.

Oct 31, 2021 9:50 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Swiggy said:
I was really excited when I recognized your nick while making the Featured Article.
I'll do my best to give your novel a try this week :)
Nov 1, 2021 1:22 AM

Aug 2021
Wow!☆ Congratulations to all, completing a web novel on the deadline we did is something we should all be proud of! :D

I can't believe my little slice-of-life BL novel made it to the semi-finals! ⁑o This was my first time writing a light/web novel, and the first work I've ever completed! ❀❀❀

Please check out "Magic Makes my Life Less Lonely!" if you enjoy fairy tales, or just want to get cozy with some lo-fi and tea, and a cute tale of a shy wizard, and a potential vampire?

I hope it will warm your heart as you read!☆
briarproseNov 1, 2021 9:48 AM
Wanna cozy up with a slice-of-life webnovel?
Check out Magic Makes my Life Less Lonely! on Honeyfeed!

Nov 1, 2021 2:18 AM
Nov 2021
A major component of the Edg3 competition entry is a short “pitch” video (see ours below). This two-minutes-or-less film is a company’s best way to win hearts and minds in the second phase of the contest—the public vote. OfficeXpats founders Jason Omens and Leslie Schneider approached a member, Laurance Price of Priceless Productions, to shoot their video. On the day of shooting, we grabbed willing members to participate. One of those members was Charlie King, a professional coach who developed podcasting skills using OfficeXpats as his “studio.” He agreed to narrate it for us!

skylightpaycard
brendaeNov 2, 2021 2:59 AM
Nov 1, 2021 2:55 AM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
Kineta said:
Swiggy said:
I was really excited when I recognized your nick while making the Featured Article.
I'll do my best to give your novel a try this week :)
Oh wow!
Just you saying so means a lot to me. I know you're busy though, so no worries if you can't!
Thank you!

Nov 9, 2021 6:08 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
Update
We have investigated the rankings of the semi-finalist rounds. As a result, the following modifications have been made:
  • The second place tie of Survivor Slaughter has been broken and Six will pass to the final round.
  • The second place tie of My New Life As A... has been broken and A Whisper in Scarlet will pass to the final round.
  • Second place of Who Needs Plot will be given to Cat's Hour ~猫の時間~.
To discourage vote manipulation in the final round, total votes will not be shown. We will also be randomizing the order of novels per session to offer more fairness in the voting process. Thank you for your feedback and support in improving the contest.

We would also like to take this opportunity to remind finalists that we are not here to see who can solicit the most bystanders to vote for their novel. The purpose is to see which story the community as a whole enjoys the most. This means the content of your novel should speak for itself. Please refrain from turning this into an advertising contest instead of a writing contest.

Best of luck to all the finalists! The final voting round will be open from Nov 14 to Nov 30.
Nov 12, 2021 1:04 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
^As someone who gave their novel zero advertisement for that very reason, I'm glad to hear the organizers feel the same way :)
Nov 15, 2021 11:30 PM

Nov 2018
@Kineta If this contest proves successful, will we hold another contest like this some time in the future? I think this contest has inspired a few people to start writing their own novels, myself included ;)

I think we might even get more competitors partaking next time round.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏

More topics from this board

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

421 by Seiidou »»
3 hours ago

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - 6 hours ago

0 by Kineta »»
6 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

204 by Dekom »»
Yesterday, 10:52 AM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.