Forum Settings
Forums

Do you think Square Enix has become overly reliant on Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts?

New
Oct 1, 2021 2:00 PM
Dec 2017
I personally think they have been and well look at the amount of stuff they neglected over the years that is way too many to list same goes for Nintendo and SEGA and ATLUs.

Would not surprise me if either company goes bankrupt due to compliancy and over reliance on popular franchises instead of bringing back or creating new ips.

What do you think?

Oct 1, 2021 3:55 PM
Dec 2017
Judevin said:
Square Enix has been kinda wack for a while but they still put out good games every now and then that aren't FF or KH.

I mean there was Bravely Default 2 earlier this year, Forspoken sometime in 2022, Babylon's Fall is TBA, Life is Strange 3(?), Guardians of the Galaxy in 2021.

But yeah, I feel like Square Enix really likes playing it safe? Like they don't want to make something that has a risk of failing. They still do experiment every so often like Forspoken, but yeah overall just not a risk taker.

Nintendo, SEGA, Atlus still do SOMETHING. Look at fucking Konami bro lmfao.

Konami is getting more and more downhill by the year.

Oct 1, 2021 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think any of those publishers are going bankrupt anytime soon.

The days of creative risk taking in video games are long gone (especially in bigger companies). They'll keep milking the flagship properties because they're easy to market, have the biggest audience, etc.

For any of those companies to start sweating financially it would take a huge amount of people to start firing up their PS1, SNES, emulator etc and people generally won't do that. A few people will (or already have) but not enough to make a big difference. That or mishandling business/financial decisions but that has less to do with the games themselves.
Oct 1, 2021 5:47 PM

Aug 2009
As for Square as a developer: Maybe.

As for Square as a publisher: No.

Oct 2, 2021 11:45 AM

Feb 2016
They rely more on Dragon Quest in Japan. It's too big to fail.
その目だれの目?
Oct 4, 2021 12:34 PM

Nov 2008
Lucifrost said:
They rely more on Dragon Quest in Japan. It's too big to fail.

Unfortunately it's to SE's determent as DQ spinoffs have went to shit for a while, DQ Heroes and Builders are great, but the spinoffs that aren't these games today tend to be some level of suck or cashgrab, usually both.

Oct 4, 2021 12:36 PM

Feb 2016
@Hoppy
I wouldn't know, as most of those are never translated.
その目だれの目?
Oct 4, 2021 12:40 PM

Nov 2008
Lucifrost said:
@Hoppy
I wouldn't know, as most of those are never translated.

Not to mention English speaking games journalists rarely cover any DQ spinoff not on console, arcade, or PC. It gives a false impression that DQ is doing as well as people think.
HoppyOct 4, 2021 12:43 PM

Oct 4, 2021 7:31 PM
Dec 2018
Nope, they are doing shit tons of other IPs besides those two like Dragon Quest, Nier, Bravely Default, Saga, Octopath Traveler, Tomb Raider, Deux Ex, Thief etc. Just because they aren't popular and talked about like Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts doesn't mean they don't make them. They are also releasing new IP this month, Voice of Cards. I would say they made more new IPs in the last few years than most publishers.
Oct 5, 2021 11:41 PM
May 2007
I guess it's the whole "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of mentality. But, I would love to see Tobal and Brave Fencer Musashi again. Hell, a new Chrono Trigger would be nice if they have the right story and idea to implement it.
Oct 15, 2021 10:45 AM

May 2013
I'm excited for voice of cards coming out later this month.

That's a new ip. Hope it does well since it has such a strong aesthetic.

YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE
Oct 15, 2021 1:53 PM

Feb 2010
As far as abandoned Ip that they hold onto copyrights for Konami is far the worst.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

May 28, 2022 5:40 PM
Dec 2017
_Nette_ said:
I'm excited for voice of cards coming out later this month.

That's a new ip. Hope it does well since it has such a strong aesthetic.

Now months later, we've got some old ips back like star ocean and valkriye.

May 28, 2022 6:07 PM

Aug 2009
~After Square sold their western studios and announced Kingdom Hearts 4...~

As for Square as a developer: Yes.

As for Square as a publisher: Also yes.

May 28, 2022 6:09 PM
Dec 2017
FacelessVixen said:
~After Square sold their western studios and announced Kingdom Hearts 4...~

As for Square as a developer: Yes.

As for Square as a publisher: Also yes.

Kingdom hearts 42069 is on the horizon in the same year its numbered.

More topics from this board

» Error 404 on Windows 9!

French-Japanese - 2 hours ago

1 by DreamWindow »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » if windows 12 become full adware will you switch to linux?

deg - Aug 23, 2023

48 by His0kaDevv »»
3 hours ago

» Your first game in your life ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

list713 - Dec 21, 2008

837 by French-Japanese »»
3 hours ago

» Recommending Buckshot Roulette

tsukareru - 4 hours ago

0 by tsukareru »»
4 hours ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

22 by Luc36 »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.