Forum Settings
Forums

your opinions on the current top 10 anime of 2021

New
Sep 23, 2021 11:53 AM
Mar 2021
So I've been keeping track of the ratings for anime this year, and as things currently stand

1. Fruits Basket the Final - 9.08
2. Attack on Titan Final Season - 8.92
3. Odd Taxi - 8.80
4. Yuru Camp season 2 - 8.54
5. Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - 8.53
6. Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - 8.51
7. To Your Eternity - 8.50
8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - 8.46
9. Non Non Biyori Nonstop - 8.41
10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - 8.41

special note - Link Click would be third at 8.89, but I suspect it's a bit controversial to give a Chinese ONA special treatment because it's unusually popular.

anyway, what do people think? are these ratings fair, or overinflated? are there anime outside the top ten that should have higher ratings? Do you think any Fall anime can climb into the list?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 23, 2021 12:09 PM

Sep 2020
I think Link Click should be at the top.
Sep 23, 2021 12:14 PM

Aug 2020
only seen the top 3 and re zero, i want to write a lot but i just wrote a long post so i don't have the energy

Fruits basket: amazing concluision, one of fav anime
AOT: best season of aot so far, cgi wasn't even bad
Odd Taxi: best standalone anime this season, it passed my expectations by far
Re zero; don't have much to say about it, not a huge fan of re zero but i liked the part 1 more
0__Raven__0Sep 23, 2021 12:17 PM
Sep 23, 2021 12:18 PM

May 2015
I don't even now what a chinese ONA is doing on this site. They should add a filter on the seasonal page for us to be able to hide all the chinese, mongol, burmese cartoons or anything else that pops up amongst the anime that most of us are here for. Or just make a subsite called MyChinimeList or whatever those called.

And to answer you question: I liked three, dropped two and one was so so out of those 10.
IshitatesoSep 23, 2021 12:57 PM
Sep 23, 2021 12:19 PM
Jul 2020
I've only seen aot final season, re zero s2 p2 and slime from the given list. But I think I liked link click the most as of now this year.
Sep 23, 2021 12:23 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
1-5. Haven't seen
6. Generic, style over substance
7. Haven't seen
8. Only up to episode 6 so far, but not as good as season 1
9-10. Haven't seen
My greatest contribution to this website:
Sep 23, 2021 12:24 PM

Jun 2017
Kingdom 3rd Season is currently at 8.47 and will probably go higher once the season ends...
Sep 23, 2021 12:28 PM
Mar 2021
Katou81 said:
Kingdom 3rd Season is currently at 8.47 and will probably go higher once the season ends...

it's technically 2020 tho. although maybe Attack on Titan Final season then shouldn't be considered 2021, but whatever, it started at the very tail end of December. Kingdom, though, started airing much earlier in 2020.
Sep 23, 2021 12:30 PM
Dec 2007
So, I havent seen all of fruits basket yet. It got my attention with how much every loved the third season though so I'm giving it a shot. Im on season 2 now and I think its good but not great.

I really didnt want to like AOT as much as I did cause I find the fan base obnoxious, but this season was really good. I think I gave it a ten, but it wasnt my favorite show of 2021 though. I think both 86 and Mushoku Tensei are better.

I didnt watch either Odd Taxi or Yuru Camp but Ill probaably check out Yuru some day

Re Zero Season 2 Part 2 was trash and I'm pretty certain it was rated so highly because of franchise loyalty, not because it was that great

Vivy was fantastic, but the ending could have been done a little better

To your eternity did not live up to the hype, and from what I hear I'm probably less likely to to enjoy the next season since everyone tells me the story telling goes down hill

Kobayashis Dragon Maid S is great, better than the first season and a great return to TV by KyoANi

Non Non Byori Nonstop was great also, but I was a bit burned out on SOL anime when I was watching it so I don't think I enjoyed it as much as I usually would have. I'll proably give it a rewatch some day

Havent watched slime yet, and with all the Isekais out there I doubt ill ever get around to it.
Sep 23, 2021 12:35 PM

Nov 2017
I don't see it anywhere so I'll say 86 deserves major praise & definitely top 5 material!
Also Those Snow White Notes is underrated. AOT latest season was brilliant. Vivy was a star, worthy of top 5 too! And Odd Taxi was great as well
Sep 23, 2021 12:35 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
i'll just share my own ratings of these, along with notes if needed and you can conclude from that how i feel about their reception for the most part.

1. Fruits Basket the Final - 10, a masterpiece, brilliant final season to my favorite show of the last three years and one of my all time favorites.

2. Attack on Titan Final Season - haven't seen it yet, but assuming mappa didn't screw it up royally and it was in the ballpark of previous seasons, probably would be an 8 or a 9 for me.

3. Odd Taxi - 9, awesome show and it feels great that it gets this much love.

4. Yuru Camp season 2 - on-hold for me, but probably a 6 or a 7 for my liking.

5. Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - haven't seen it yet, heard mixed things.

6. Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - 8, was on track to be something very special, but kind of lost steam and turned inconsistent writing wise.

7. To Your Eternity - 8, was amazing and made me cry numerous times, but had one fairly long mediocre arc, where the animation quality also dipped considerably, which hurt the overall quality of the show in my eyes.

8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - 9, despite the unbearably awful tragedy that kyoani went through, this season brought back, built upon and respected everything the first season accomplished in this tour de force of a sequel.

9. Non Non Biyori Nonstop - have not seen any season of this show.

10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - 8 but that's kind of generous, it was better than the second part, but really took its time to get going and was very slow the first few episodes. the first season was better than both parts, so i'd say it's a textbook example of the sequel effect inflating scores.
Sep 23, 2021 12:42 PM

Oct 2018
Fruits Basket - I haven't watched it.

Shingeki - Easily one of the worst audiovisual shows in 2021.

Odd Taxi - A good surprise.

Yuru Camp - Yuru Camp is always good.

Re:Zero - Kinda disappointing, could've been better.

Vivy - I can't say anything about Vivy, I'm too biased.

Fumetsu - A wasted potential.

Kobayashi - I dropped. It isn't bad, but it was too boring.

Non Non Byori - Never watched

Slime Tensei - ZzZzZzZzZZzZzZzZzZ
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Sep 23, 2021 1:00 PM

Nov 2018
I dropped the disappointing Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 2nd Season and the uninteresting Fumetsu no Anata e, and I don't consider Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season to be that great (7/10).

Super Cub is the only outstanding one in 2021 for me, as of now (9/10). Yuukoku no Moriarty 2nd Season may deserve an honorable mention (8/10).
Sep 23, 2021 1:22 PM

Jun 2017
Violet42 said:
Katou81 said:

it's technically 2020 tho. although maybe Attack on Titan Final season then shouldn't be considered 2021, but whatever, it started at the very tail end of December. Kingdom, though, started airing much earlier in 2020.

It aired initially in 2020 but then got canceled after episode 4 due to Covid-19 and then started airing again from episode 1 in 2021... so its pretty much a 2021 anime not a 2020 anime
Sep 23, 2021 1:25 PM

Sep 2020
wait wait, i must wait next season to give this ranking lmao

Sep 23, 2021 1:34 PM

Aug 2020
I've watched all of them but AOT and Slime (because they aren't my kind of shows, so)

Kobayashi is my favourite on this list from this year, I loved season 1 and season 2 was just even more amazing. KyoAni strikes with another banger once again.

Then my next two favourites would be Re: Zero and Vivy, both action series that I really enjoyed for being interesting. Re: Zero S2 P2 is my favourite so far.

It makes sense that Yuru Camp and Non Non Biyori are so high so far, because they are incredible series that are super cute and super relaxing.

To Your Eternity and Odd Taxi have such a unique story line to them that was really well written.

and Fruit's Basket was a super cute and dark drama, which blends well and this season was def the best.

Has a 8.60 mean score
Akasaka > Other Mangakas

Sep 23, 2021 1:35 PM

Mar 2015
No Nagatoro or Jahy-sama shaking my head
Sep 23, 2021 1:42 PM
Jan 2021
I am surprised vivy is so high, when the anime was still airing I also gave it an 8 but after it ended and I gave some thought to it, it wasn't actually that good, and I ended up giving vivy a 6
Sep 23, 2021 1:50 PM

Oct 2019
1. haven't seen(fruits basket)
2. Seen, liked it but not as much as previous seasons(aot fs)
3. liked it(odd taxi)
4-5 haven't seen(yuru camp, re:zero s2)
6. dropped (vivy)(why is this rated so high)
7. Liked the first episode, dropped upon viewing the second(to your eternity)
8-10 haven't seen (dragon maid, non non biyoru, slime isekai)

Anime I enjoyed the most this year was Pui Pui molcar.
Craftys_ListSep 23, 2021 1:55 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 23, 2021 2:25 PM

Oct 2020
i've seen all of them apart from odd taxi and non non biyori. well deserved imo.

Sep 23, 2021 2:39 PM

Oct 2019
Fruits Basket the Final - Hell yeah, deserves that spot so much

Attack on Titan Final Season - didn't watch

Odd Taxi - really good show, but I would put it more at number 6 or 7

Yuru Camp season 2 - well, if you liked the first season, you were gonna like this season, so makes sense

Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - eh, I can see how it got here, but I don't really agree with it.I thought it was worse than the last part.

Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - didn't watch

To Your Eternity - Deserves it, it's such a cool show

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - Yeah okay lol

Non Non Biyori Nonstop - didn't watch

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - didn't watch
Sep 23, 2021 2:48 PM
Jan 2020
Personally think slime, to your eternity, odd taxi, and vivi are scored higher than they should be. They were good (but slime being terrible for like 8 episodes into just an average show). Kinda sad shows like link click and mo dao zu shi are not gonna be talked about just because they are chinese when they both are amazing. Porbably my second favorite anime of this year is megalo box:nomad but i don't think it got much traction. Beastars and 86 are probably 2 shows id have in my top 10 thoroughly enjoyed them (86 was a little slow in the first 4 episodes tho). Too many good anime this year hope next year isnt completely drained.
Sep 23, 2021 2:58 PM

May 2018
"So I've been keeping track of the ratings for anime this year, and as things currently stand"

Totally overr...waiiit! I kind liked Odd Taxi, Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song and Non Non Biyori Nonstop.
Sep 23, 2021 3:05 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
havent seen furu basket
will read aot manga
odd taxi best
yuru camp god
havent seen
havent seen
havent seen
this one was a dissapointment, fuck yoy kyoani
they said it was nonstop, why did it had to end
sorry man isekai is werd
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Sep 23, 2021 3:12 PM

Sep 2018
3, 4 and 8 are fine. The rest is a big no-no.
Sep 23, 2021 3:16 PM

Jul 2019
Violet42 said:
So I've been keeping track of the ratings for anime this year, and as things currently stand

3. Odd Taxi - 8.80

special note - Link Click would be third at 8.89, but I suspect it's a bit controversial to give a Chinese ONA special treatment because it's unusually popular.

anyway, what do people think? are these ratings fair, or overinflated? are there anime outside the top ten that should have higher ratings? Do you think any Fall anime can climb into the list?

I mean it's no surprise that 7/10 of those are sequels and thus their scores are inflated by sequel inflation. So I can't exactly take those scores seriously. Only Odd Taxi, To Your Eternity and Vivy are non-sequels with high ratings in that top 10. And of those three, I'd say at least Odd Taxi and To Your Eternity deserves a place there.

I mean just comparing the first season counterpart of each of those 7 sequels and you'll easily see that the sequel inflation is in effect. Not even a single one went down in score:

Fruit Basket: 8.22 -> 9.08
Attack on Titan: 8.51 -> 8.92
Yuru Camp: 8.27 -> 8.54
Re Zero: 8.26 -> 8.53
Miss Kobayashi Dragon Maid: 8.0 -> 8.52
Non Non Biyori: 7.95 -> 8.41
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime: 8.11 -> 8.41
AvicebronsSep 23, 2021 3:22 PM
Subarashii
Sep 23, 2021 3:43 PM

Mar 2018
Well...

1. Fruits Basket the Final - 9.08 -Good, but not this good when it comes to the story...

2. Attack on Titan Final Season - 8.92 -The worst part of the story incoming...

3. Odd Taxi - 8.80 -Almost flawless for what it is, unique, smart and different from the norm...

4. Yuru Camp season 2 - 8.54 -Haven't seen it yet...

5. Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - 8.53 -The best part of the story up until now...

6. Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - 8.51 -Very good and enjoyable but it doesn't excel in anything...

7. To Your Eternity - 8.50 -Very good but the series has a lot of pacing and timing issues and the production could have been better for this type of story....

8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - 8.46 -Haven't seen it yet...

9. Non Non Biyori Nonstop - 8.41 -Haven't seen it yet...

10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - 8.41 -Haven't seen it yet...
Sep 23, 2021 3:47 PM

Aug 2010
I've watched the top 7 except Yuru Camp S2 (only finished S1). I would drop Vivy out of top 10. Vivy is a rare case for me when I don't agree with majority, I usually have similar opinion with majority/average score, so the overall ranking seems petty fair to me. I'll probably put To Your Eternity a bit higher though, and add Shadows House somewhere in there.
Sep 23, 2021 4:05 PM
Dec 2007
Avicebrons said:
Violet42 said:

3. Odd Taxi - 8.80

I mean it's no surprise that 7/10 of those are sequels and thus their scores are inflated by sequel inflation. So I can't exactly take those scores seriously. Only Odd Taxi, To Your Eternity and Vivy are non-sequels with high ratings in that top 10. And of those three, I'd say at least Odd Taxi and To Your Eternity deserves a place there.

I mean just comparing the first season counterpart of each of those 7 sequels and you'll easily see that the sequel inflation is in effect. Not even a single one went down in score:

Thats actually a really good analysis. I've seen all of those except for slime and yuru camp and the only one I feel is better than the first season is dragon maid. The rest are pretty much on par with the first season. Havent seen S3 of fruits basket either, but what I'm seeing of season 2 isn't that much better or worse than season 1.
Sep 23, 2021 4:47 PM

Sep 2014
Slightly OT but what even is Fruits Basket? I have never heard of it before it went into the top 10. Nobody ever mentions it anywhere I am active. Does it just cater to a niche incredible well or how did it get such an insane rating?
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Sep 23, 2021 5:00 PM

Jul 2012
1. Fruits Basket the Final: Amazing. A great conclusion to a great series.
2. Attack on Titan Final Season - I liked it, but after my recent AoT rewatch I didn't like it (or the whole show even) as much as my first watch.
3. Odd Taxi - Amazing. Definitely my favorite new show from this year.
4. Yuru Camp season 2 - I loved it and enjoyed it even more than the first season.
5. Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - (Didn't watch)
6. Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - I don't understand the hype. It was "eh" for me.
7. To Your Eternity - Great first episode, the rest was ok.
8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - I didn't enjoy it as much as S1.
9. Non Non Biyori Nonstop - (Didn't watch)
10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - Last couple of episodes were really cool but it was boring in comparison of the first two seasons.

Comander-07 said:
Slightly OT but what even is Fruits Basket? I have never heard of it before it went into the top 10. Nobody ever mentions it anywhere I am active. Does it just cater to a niche incredible well or how did it get such an insane rating?

You haven't heard of Fruits Basket before? Weird, it's a classic shoujo.
I haven't watched the original adaptation but I've known about it since before even starting watching anime.
As far as I know, the original adaptation was unfinished (cause the manga was still publishing) so they decided to make a full adaptation starting in 2019, which was very well received.
Sep 23, 2021 5:27 PM

May 2021
3 of them are alright, others haven't watched yet but

Re:Zero S2 P2: Disappointment
TYE: Disappointment
Slime S2 P2: Disappointment
Sep 23, 2021 5:44 PM

Dec 2015
1. Fruits Basket the Final - Extremely solid ending, but not 9.08 good. Still going on my AOTY nominees.
2. Attack on Titan Final Season - Despite being a downgrade in production, it's undeniably achieved a "classic anime" level of quality in terms of story.
3. Odd Taxi - Best original anime I've seen in a long time.
4. Yuru Camp season 2 - Watched some episodes of Season 1. I'm sorry, but if all the plot has to offer is cute girls chilling, it's bad.
5. Re:Zero season 2 part 2 - Definitely one of the best fantasy avaiable, but undeniably convoluted.
6. Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song - Extremely lazy written and it's only popular due to animation and public low standard over screenwriting.
7. To Your Eternity - One of the best drama of the year, with outstanding OST, but could've used a more consistent ending
8. Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid S - Also saw a few episodes and it also doesn't have anything to offer. And I must say, I was surprised seeing it was tagged as comedy, because it fails pathetic in that regard.
9. Non Non Biyori Nonstop - "dumb cute" is also pretty pathetic
10. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime season 2 - Watched Season 1 and dropped. Childish, dumb, awfully slow paced and no tension whatsoever. One of my worst experience with Isekai that I thought could've been good.

There are other shows that are far more deserving of this top, like Nomad: Megalobox 2 or even Zombieland Saga Revenge. One of the main reason I started doing my own Awards is that I was tired of seeing this bad taste of the community being constantly defended using ad populum.
Sep 23, 2021 5:46 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Basically, Non Non Biyori Nonstop >> Everything else on this shitty list.

"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 23, 2021 5:52 PM

Aug 2020
4 and 9 goat. Whats the rest??????????
Sep 23, 2021 5:54 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Roqueiro said:
4 and 9 goat. Whats the rest??????????
Rest of the anime are mediocre at their best.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 23, 2021 5:57 PM

Aug 2016
1. Haven't seen it
2. Stopped enjoying SnK long ago and S4 is the worst season of the anime.
3-4. Haven't seen
5. Huge improvement over Season 1 and S2Part1. Enjoyed this one immensely. Easily the highlight of 2021 for me so far.
6. Watched the first two episodes. Was very boring and I didn't like it.
7. Didn't watch the anime but I've read a bit of the manga and, well, its really boring and I don't like it.
8. Decent sol comedy with likeable characters and a few really good moments...only big complaint is that holy fuck it gets really sus sometimes.
9. Didn't watch it but the first two seasons were...meh.
10. The worst anime I've seen all year. Literally like 7 episodes straight of people sitting around in circles discussing shit that doesn't matter at all because the "good guys" are all way too overpowered and literally just win every fight in a few seconds without even trying.
Sep 23, 2021 6:08 PM

Jul 2019
Comander-07 said:

Fruits Basket is among the top selling mangas of all time. And it even had a fairly popular anime adaptation back in 2001. This 2019 Fruits Basket is a remake. So it's by no means niche or obscure. It has been popular for a really long time now. But shoujos in general don't tend to get talked about a lot in the west. That doesn't mean they're obscure/niche though. To put its current popularity in perspective. It's more popular here on MAL than stuff like 3-Gatsu no Lion, Yuu Yuu Hakusho, Grand Blue, Pokemon, Berserk (1997) and Hunter x Hunter (1999).
Subarashii
Sep 23, 2021 6:10 PM
Apr 2021
Violet42 said:

3. Odd Taxi - 8.80

Imo
Fruits Basket- Good conclusion that felt satisfying
AOT- Haven't seen
Odd Taxi- Haven't seen
Yuru Camp S2- Haven't seen
Re:Zero Season 2 Part 2- Best show of the year (Bias for the franchise)
Vivy- Haven't Seen
To Your Eternity- Saw a little bit of ep. 1 but isn't much to talk about
Dragon Maid S- Second best series this year (ngl the opening has made me cry during every episode so far)
Non Non Biyori Nonstop- Haven't seen but would like to watch the series at some point
Tensura Season 2- Haven't seen

Another show I feel that in my opinion should be in the running is season 2 of the Quintessential Quintuplets (the quality of the animation and story increased greatly from season 1 imo)
Sep 23, 2021 6:23 PM

Oct 2018
1. Fruits Basket the Final - Definitely 10/10 for me. Not much fan of shoujo but this anime made me love shoujo animes. One of the best psychological romantic dramedy anime.

2. AoT final - I like the Mappa artstyle but the hype from the fans for this season was so cringe. Can't wait for the final part, even the freakishly ending.

3. Odd Taxi - Smart mystery but I predicted the plot twist of the ending. Still 9/10

4. Yuru Camp 2 - Haven't seen

5. ReZero - Annoying backstory of Emilia. Didn't like the plot but I like part 1 more than this.

6. Vivy - Full of fight scenes but the ending was kinda flat.

7. To Your Eternity - haven't done it.

8. Kobayashi S - Done it but it's the same as S1. A great comeback for KyoAni though.

9-10 Haven't seen

“Once you've been loved once and have loved once, you cannot forget it.”
― Natsume Takashi
Sep 23, 2021 6:29 PM

Mar 2018
Fruits basket final season was really good but it felt way too rushed compared to the first two. It was actually my least favorite of the three entries in here

Re zero s2 p2 was great

To your eternity has been ok. The first episode got my expectations higher than they should have been.
Sep 23, 2021 6:31 PM

Jul 2019
Vivy, To your eternity, and ReZero are the most underwhelming shows.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Sep 23, 2021 6:34 PM

Feb 2018
Mo Dao Zu Shi: Wanjie Pian would also be up there if you include Chinese/Korean anime. If you only count tv anime then neither would fit. Overall it makes sense most are from Winter and Spring, both seasons were stacked.
Sep 23, 2021 6:34 PM

Jun 2019
I've only seen half of them.

The third season of the Fruits Basket 2019 reboot, Fruits Basket the Final, is the only one I have placed as high as an 8/10 regarding its rating. It had some of the best moments of the series, obviously, as endings usually do, but some of the best moments of the series were also contained in seasons one and two. I actually think I prefer the second season due to its comparative double length and more relaxed pace, with less frantic/breakneck pacing without sacrificing still moments of dramatic intensity peppered throughout. This series is quite strong in its format, but probably not one as powerful or which leaves as much of an impression on me as likely many other people. It might though if its length was greatly expanded. The third season should have been at least double the length - as long as the previous two.

The mythological Zodiac origin story was incorporated well, Tohru is still a divinely sweet and endearing presence, and the OST is one of the finest out of a series of the past 10 years.

Season 2 of Yuru Camp and season 3 of Non Non Biyori I don't have an opinion of independently of the series to which they belong to yet. Yuru Camp judging by its first season is an 8/10 series for me and Non Non Biyori judging by its preceding two, a 7/10 series. The reason I say I don't have a fully formed opinion on these yet is because I haven't rated them as I haven't finished watching them. The reason for that is I'm savoring the iyashikei content. I informally paused these early in the year because I had some chaotic events in the physical world and want to resume and finish them hopefully in the coming weeks to months when I feel extra comfortable, secure, and in the mood.

Odd Taxi went from noticeably underrated and under-discussed to very likely substantially overrated, but it's still probably one of the better overall written and conceptualized series of this year and perhaps the past few years. I would also be pleased to see it initiate a trend of more dialogue-driven shows. It's a 7/10 for me.

Shiguang Dailiren/Link Click, since I see you excluded it due to the whole controversy over inclusion of Chinese anime/donghua, mirrors the situation of Odd Taxi almost 1:1, both in writing quality and the trajectory of its popularity from obscurity to word-of-mouth sensation. It has a very unique visual style compared to many recent anime watched since it's Chinese and this one uses a realistic art style. Odd Taxi has a more cartoony art style by comparison because of the anthropomorphic animals, but I think both work well and play into the strengths of their respective series. Again, like Odd Taxi, it went from pretty obscure to actually overrated in my view (although this one concerns just the ranking and numerical rating by those who have actually seen it - its actual popularity and how well known it is is actually much lower). Also a 7/10 for me.

Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song I found extremely overrated. Easily the most overrated of the year so far. Series like Odd Taxi and Shiguang Dailiren may have eventually become overrated owing to becoming "trending" and how fast word travels around the modern internet, but they're still pretty high quality series. Even if they were given a 9.5 and sat at #1 while it wouldn't be accurate to my view on those series, it wouldn't detract from the quality or substance they do have. Vivy I found to be very pretty aesthetically in parts with some nice songs, but kind of like a fancy and flashy car commercial, that's about it. It was a very threadbare story and shallow treatment of its subject matter. I don't care for the episodic format especially of the first half at all, and I would argue it's used as an excuse here for not having a stronger and more developed main story with better writing which actually explores its premise and the ideas it claims to revolve around with more depth or just more creativity or intriguing scenarios or anything. Instead we just shuffle through archetypes that won't matter to us or the narrative in any real way an episode or two later. I gave this one a 6/10, but it's a low 6, honestly leaning more toward a 5/10 for me. Which I may even re-evaluate and go back and decide to lower later.

Truthfully, series like Vivy make me a bit angry because they promise so much on the surface but fail to deliver, leading to a gypped and cheated feeling. I thought this show would have more to say and then I could either agree or disagree with it, believe it was executed and communicated well or not, and form opinions on that, but I felt in the end it didn't really say anything to me either way. It just looked stylish.

To Your Eternity, I dropped after the first episode. As is customary, I didn't rate it. I didn't see the other four at all. Shingeki no Kyojin I dropped in the second season.

My personal Top 10 of the year so far, only out of series I've actually seen to completion, would be something like the following:

(Not in ranked order)

- Hataraku Saibou Black
- Tenchi Souzou Design-bu
- Shadows House
- Super Cub
- Mars Red
- Odd Taxi
- Shiguang Dailiren
- Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro
- The Aquatope on White Sand
- The Idaten Deities Know Only Peace

Maybe series such as Sonny Boy or 86 to supplant one or two of those depending on how they end up concluding.

Ones like Vivy and Higehiro have been undoubtedly the most disappointing.
WatchTillTandavaSep 23, 2021 6:54 PM
Sep 23, 2021 6:40 PM

Sep 2013
I've seen all but Fruits Basket Final (I watched the original, not interested) and Vivy. These seem fair considering what else has aired. I wasn't very fond of To Your Eternity and Slime feels overrated to me. The consistency of Non Non Biyori is impressive considering the first season was in 2013.
There's no need for all this tension.
Sep 23, 2021 7:23 PM

Jun 2019
1. Fruits Basket - 8/10. Closer to a 9 than a 7. A little too rushed for me. I prefered season 2 tbh.

2. AOT - 9/10. Closer to a 10 than an 8. That cliffhanger ending sucked, but I’ve never seen an anime have the community at the edge of their seat week after week like that.

3. Odd Taxi - Solid 8/10. Really well written and directed, but I think the ending lacked a big enough punch for all the build up.

4. Yuru Camp - Solid 7/10. I’ve never been the biggest Yuru Camp fan. The characters don’t grip me as much as other SOL ones.

5: Re:Zero - 7/10. Closer to an 8 than a 6. I’m actually surprised I gave it this high of a score tbh. Yeah, it has great production and good writing on a technical level. But it feels so bloated and suffers from some of the same writing problems all of Re:Zero does.

6: Vivy - 9/10. Closer to an 8 than a 10. I don’t dislike the ending as much as other people. Great production value, good sci-fi worldbuilding, some witty writing, and just enough melodrama. Currently my favorite debut this year.

7: To Your Eternity - 7/10. Closer to a 6 than an 8. Like many others, I felt a bit disappointed when it finished as well. Started strong, but eventually became repetitive crybait and even the production values dipped.

8: Dragon Maid - 5/10. Closer to a 6 than a 4. Season 1, but with a slight dip in animation and direction quality. The gross aspects are still there.

9: Non Non Biyori Nonstop - Solid 8/10. Became one of my favorite SOL shows with this installment. Captures country kid shenanigans so well. Great characters.

10: Tensura - 4/10. Closer to a 3 than a 5. Not as insulting as s2 part 1, but much more boring. I sill do not understand why this series is so popular and highly rated.

Tbh, my favorite anime overall this season has been Megalobox 2. I gave that a 9/10 and a slight edge over AOT.
Sep 23, 2021 8:29 PM

Jan 2020
You missed gintama the final :(

but I don't mind the top 10 here. I don't hate anything and it's quite solid overall

Sep 24, 2021 12:44 AM
Mar 2021
Avicebrons said:
Violet42 said:

3. Odd Taxi - 8.80

well, people who watch the sequel to a show tend to be more favorable to the first season than the larger set of everyone who watched the first season. And it's also often true that a show takes a season to find its footing, or is allotted a bigger production budget because of the first season's popularity.

that being said, if you want a list that excludes sequels, I can do that.

TOP NON-SEQUEL ANIME 2021
1. Odd Taxi - 8.80
2. Vivy: Fluorite Eye's Song - 8.51
3. To Your Eternity - 8.50
4. Mushoku Tensei - 8.36
5. Tokyo Revengers - 8.34
6. Horimiya - 8.21
7. 86 - 8.19
8. Sk8 the Infinity - 8.04
9. The Case Study of Vanitas - 7.95
10. Wonder Egg Priority - 7.89 (lmao)

(note that Love Live! Superstar is part of a franchise, so not included)
definitely this year has been dominated by sequels, and a lot of the more interesting stuff is...a bit controversial. next year is going to be ludicrous for sequels, too. actually, moreso.

I kinda have a feeling Fall is definitely going to dramatically alter this list, at any rate. Blue Period and Komi-san for sure are going to be here.
Sep 24, 2021 2:00 AM
Oct 2016
@Zigzag1202

Can I ask how the Dragon Maid OP made you cry? I don’t see how such a cheerful song could unless it’s out of happiness but even then, I don’t think I could personally go that far despite my love for it.
Sep 24, 2021 2:48 AM

Jan 2021
Did you just forget the existence of Link Click

EDIT: Nvm

I hope no one I know irl sees my secret account~

Anyways, do I look cute in this outfit?~

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

72 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

67 by Thanatos1 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 5 hours ago

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
11 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 6 hours ago

19 by alshu »»
11 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good?

arinthach - Yesterday

41 by TitanOfPlasma »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.