Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2021 12:09 AM
Oct 2020
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Wow! That was outstanding! It was a little short but it was just a really cool thing to watch. People will hate it because it’s 3DCG but I actually thought it looked pretty good. I love the umbrella lightsaber
Sep 22, 2021 12:30 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
The animation style was very interesting and the music was a nice blend between anime soundtracks and the classic Star Wars themes. I wish the story could have been more fleshed out since the characters seemed pretty cool, but for an experimental short episode, it was pretty good.
Sep 22, 2021 1:28 AM

Apr 2014
I cant believe someone came up with something even dumber that the Inquisitors' helicopter lightsabers and still somehow made it look cool
Sep 22, 2021 1:53 AM

Jun 2014
I love samurai-era shit so this episode was dope for me. The animation wasn't too bad and I liked the katana-sabers.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 22, 2021 2:06 AM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
This thread has been cleaned.

Please don't make posts or threads about where to watch a series. That just leads to people posting illegal links, which isn't allowed on MAL.
Sep 22, 2021 2:13 AM

Jan 2009
umbrella light saber is cool

but the hero is he a sith rebel or a grey jedi at least

and the animation is clearly 3DCG but rotoscoped to look like 2D animation still not bad visual style
Sep 22, 2021 3:22 AM

Jan 2020
Damn that was awesome.

Really wish we could learn more about Ronin, he's not a Jedi but also not a sith? He seems to be collecting a lot of red kyber crystals. So perhaps he hunts the sith down and uses a red blade to throw them off? Man I wish there was more of that one.
Sep 22, 2021 4:04 AM
May 2020
Noahbudoa said:
Damn that was awesome.

Really wish we could learn more about Ronin, he's not a Jedi but also not a sith? He seems to be collecting a lot of red kyber crystals. So perhaps he hunts the sith down and uses a red blade to throw them off? Man I wish there was more of that one.

maybe he’s a samurai who hunts siths ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just a fun theory
Sep 22, 2021 4:23 AM
Feb 2021
At first I wasn’t sure about the animation however once I realised they did it in black and white to show I’d the sabers and blasters more I really enjoyed it.
Sep 22, 2021 4:37 AM
Apr 2021
It was sooooo GOOD!! Need to know more on that guys backstory!! Was totally getting some Avatar the last air bender vibes tho. πŸ˜†

~Kaga
Follow me pls!

Sep 22, 2021 4:48 AM
Oct 2020
Noahbudoa said:
Damn that was awesome.

I found out there’s going to be a book based off of this episode so maybe we’ll get more info from that. It’s called Star Wars: Ronin. It’s gonna be out in October at some point I think.
Sep 22, 2021 5:05 AM

Jul 2019
That was a pretty good opening to the series. I liked this episode, but there wasn't a lot to go off of. It was still good and Kamikaze Douga made some good animation that slapped. Will watch more.
Sep 22, 2021 5:37 AM

Apr 2018
Pretty nice. The artstyle is pretty unique and reminds me of Promare. The animation will be good for sure. Going to binge the next 7 episodes when I have time.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 22, 2021 6:07 AM
Oct 2019
Thank god there is a Japanese option on Disney+, i just want to experience it in the Original for the first time.

The Ronin aren't a Jedi neither a Sith...

Nice Fight Choreography, The Animation style was really intrigued.
I love how they choose to do in Black and White so they can really highlight the Lightsabers.
It's like they paying Homage to Akira Kurosawa Movies.
Kamikaze Douga did a great job.
davidyodo24Sep 22, 2021 8:15 AM
Sep 22, 2021 6:23 AM
Apr 2021
I like everything about this short. It truly went back to the roots of Star Wars and created a satisfying kurosawa esq samurai story in the star wars universe, even with that old 60s film style.
Sep 22, 2021 6:31 AM
Jul 2018
Very captivating animation. And that Umbrella saber was exquisite.
Sep 22, 2021 7:43 AM

Jul 2011
This one can easily be made a manga just by taking screenshots and compiling in the format.

That umbrella add-on is expensive for being basically almost a whole lightsaber.
Sep 22, 2021 8:30 AM

Dec 2020
I was pretty skeptical going into this , was curious how they would mesh this together but I think they handled it pretty well.

Very solid first episode. Liked that the animation style is different.
Sep 22, 2021 8:44 AM
Feb 2021
Both Star Wars and anime!
I think it was great.
Sep 22, 2021 10:09 AM

Nov 2020
it was okay. we got a samurai mc (I thought he was a Jedi but I was wrong) vs umbrella lightsaber. the animation artstyle was quite unique
Sep 22, 2021 10:12 AM

Mar 2021
GODDAMN THAT SOUND WHEN THE RONIN DREW OUT HIS RED LIGHTSABER....orgasmic

This was a short episode, but still fun :d

Sep 22, 2021 11:23 AM

Aug 2017
The antagonist is stupid and probably the worst part.

It feels a bit weird.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 22, 2021 11:31 AM
Jan 2018
Thankfully the umbrella was just a attachment to the lightsaber.

Still trying to figure out how the katana saber works if the Hilt part is always active does the 2nd lightsaber that hilt connects to have something that turns it off when it is sheathed
Sep 22, 2021 11:35 AM
Oct 2020
Mattinator95 said:
Thankfully the umbrella was just a attachment to the lightsaber.

Still trying to figure out how the katana saber works if the Hilt part is always active does the 2nd lightsaber that hilt connects to have something that turns it off when it is sheathed
it’s probably just because it’s cool if we’re talking about why it was put in. As for lore it is a bit pointless and doesn’t make sense if you think about it, though in my personal opinion that doesn’t matter for a non canon anthology like this.
Sep 22, 2021 11:46 AM

Jan 2020
EmmyMoomin said:
Noahbudoa said:
Damn that was awesome.

I found out there’s going to be a book based off of this episode so maybe we’ll get more info from that. It’s called Star Wars: Ronin. It’s gonna be out in October at some point I think.
ohhhh that's awesome to hear
Sep 22, 2021 11:52 AM

Oct 2019
This was such an awesome fight. i loved the red lighsaber umbrella. And the ronin was sick with his fighting.
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Sep 22, 2021 12:17 PM
Jul 2019
So, the protagonist with a red Saber must've been a sith himself a renegade sith that is.
Sep 22, 2021 12:22 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
A great episode to start this series with. Very Kurosawa-esque. I liked the shading that was used, making it almost look like pencil or charcoal. The Sith chick was really cool, I'm just surprised how quickly she got rid of her umbrella lightsaber tool.

Character designs were great, music was terrific as per usual for anything Star Wars related, and overall a solid episode. Wouldn't mind a series following this ronin Jedi.
Sep 22, 2021 1:31 PM
Feb 2021
Samurais/ronins and anime I mean that’s already a great combo because I mean who doesn’t love samurai anime’s BUT THEN TO ADD STAR WARS TO IT? I mean when I saw the trailer I was worried about them using this sort of CGI / 3D animation style but they pulled it off so god damn well, ngl wish there we got to see even more of the fight and what I would do to see a manga or independent spin off anime series of this. It kinda reminds me of Vagabond which if you haven’t checked out I highly recommend it’s beautiful but yeah for me I loved this episode
Nayhooo
Sep 22, 2021 2:28 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Darth Poppins.

Really cool first episode. The fight scenes looked very impressive. Wouldn't mind more of exactly this, but I have a feeling I'll be thinking that after some of the other episodes, too.

staff.applicationsγ€€β–Όγ€€
guidelines.faqγ€€β–Ό
γ€€

report.abuseγ€€β–Όγ€€

thx.skittlesγ€€β–Όγ€€
thx.kinaγ€€β–Ό
γ€€

[H+] ³γ€€β–Όγ€€
Sep 22, 2021 3:29 PM

Apr 2020
The 'hero' was hella badass with a red saber in a black and white environment
I don't know how signatures work

Sep 22, 2021 6:34 PM
Mar 2021
I would have REALLY loved this one if it wasn't doing this weird CG thing.

I like the designs and I really enjoyed it as a tribute to Kurosawa, which was of course a huge influence on Star Wars.

I like the idea of a sith hunting sith. It's cool and fits well with the idea of what sith are.

I have some issues with choreography, but that's kinda whatever.

All in all: it was okay. I like what they had in mind, but I'm not a fan of the execution.
Sep 22, 2021 8:10 PM

Aug 2018
Star Wars Visions has been released on Disney+
1st episode: "The Duel" by Kamikaze Douga.
It was good and the animation style was great.
Tamer2002Sep 22, 2021 8:38 PM
Sep 22, 2021 11:36 PM

Oct 2013
Marvelous. Interesting artstyle and concept for the story, beautiful animation, great choreography during the lightsaber duel.

The first episode of this show was grand. I wonder if the rest of episodes are going to present similar high quality.
✨Saint Seiya Club🌠
Sep 23, 2021 1:04 AM

Aug 2021
I liked the styling of everything in this one as it had a nice Kurosawa feel to it, plus it allowed what little color it had to shine brightly. I also liked Ronin's lightsaber. I want one lol
Sep 23, 2021 2:01 AM
Jan 2021
Imagine a vagabond adaptation with this animation lol
Sep 23, 2021 2:02 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Solid one right off the bat. Art style just a tad bit too noisy and not the easiest to watch, but cool nonetheless with only the lights getting color. Not much to this one, except an ex-Sith who seems to have changed his ways. Other than that, it's just a hero coming in to save the day. 5/10 for this one.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Sep 23, 2021 5:42 AM
Jan 2018
Horn_dawg_2019 said:
So, the protagonist with a red Saber must've been a sith himself a renegade sith that is.

A gray Jedi maybe likely he just goes round hunting Sith Lords maybe or just kills them along the way

There’s a comic coming out soon about him so soon find out
Sep 23, 2021 6:21 AM

Aug 2020
Good ep but I would have liked it more if it had more 2D animation

γ€Œ 𝕂𝕖π•ͺ π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ π•™π•šπ••π•–π•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝕗𝕠𝕣𝕔𝕖𝕀 𝕠𝕗 π••π•’π•£π•œπ•Ÿπ•–π•€π•€, 𝕀𝕙𝕠𝕨 π•žπ•– π•ͺ𝕠𝕦𝕣 π•₯𝕣𝕦𝕖 π•—π• π•£π•ž 」

Sep 23, 2021 7:28 AM

May 2014
This episode was decent. I like the implementation of a more traditional Japanese setting in Star Wars. The fight scene was fine.

But two words: Umbrella lightsaber. I just can't lol
Sep 23, 2021 8:27 AM

Oct 2009
That was so cool!!
Man..I've dreamt of seeing something like this for so long!
Wish the Sith lady lived though, pretty cool.
Sep 23, 2021 9:51 AM

Jan 2013
A great entry of the show but it doesn't really do much for me. Nothing new or crazy that I didn't see before except for the Ronin to use his force to stop the lightsaber from hitting him. I really enjoy how it is also inspired by Akira Kurosawa, it's definitely a love letter for sure. The artstyle is also unique especially with the dynamic noise (making it look like an old film) and i really think the use of colorful colors on other colors (lmao i'm confused on my sentence) is a genius idea.

For some reason, it seems like a promotional video for its upcoming novel called Ronin: A Visions Novel.
Sep 23, 2021 10:36 AM

Sep 2018
Nicely animated, dumb as rocks story, but then I guess that fits the StarWars ethos nicely too.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Sep 23, 2021 3:11 PM

Aug 2016
The Duel, by Kamikaze Douga.

Great start, SW Universe crossed with fuedal Japan really worked and a katana lightsabre is just pure makkori.
Also the rounin turning out to be a sith was a nice twist and judging from all those red crystals he has no love for his own kind.

“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Sep 23, 2021 6:26 PM

Oct 2016
Off to a good start, it was pretty cool.
Sep 23, 2021 11:24 PM

Oct 2016
This episode was so good. I loved the art style even though it was 3DCG, it just worked. I loved how most of the episode was greyscaled, but you could still see some of the lights in color (like the lights from the lightsabers). This was a great start for Star Wars Visions.
Sep 24, 2021 12:46 PM
Oct 2017
They went all out didnt they ? Accepted the fact that Star Wars was inspired by Japanese old samurai movies and rolled with it. Really liked seeing all that Japanese architecture in SW.
Female Sith looked super badass with that mask and I dont care what anyone says about the lightsaber umbrella. I dig it. Our main character, wandering samurai, had nice touch of mystery to him. Almost want to see more of him and find out reason why is he gathering those red lightsaber crystals. Reminds me of Skull Night from Berserk. Animation was pretty to look at. Black and white suits this episode a lot. Liked how both characters used their surroundings to their advantages.
Sep 24, 2021 7:57 PM

Nov 2018
Kinda mediocre

umbrella light saber ? lol
Sep 24, 2021 10:55 PM
Apr 2021
I watched 4 of the episodes and the only good episodes were 1 and 7 cuz they had the best art. The other episodes looked like childrens cartoons (even tho this show IS probably meant for kids). #DondaDondaDonda
Sep 26, 2021 4:21 PM

Jan 2021
I liked the guys samurai light saber this was really good
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

EmmyMoomin - Sep 22, 2021

63 by _-_Sally_-_ »»
Apr 4, 5:16 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

52 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 15, 1:11 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

54 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 15, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 7 Discussion

46 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 7, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Star Wars: Visions Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

63 by gannoncannon55 »»
Feb 27, 6:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.