Forum Settings
Forums

What's Your Definition on "The True Anime Experience is to..."?

New
Sep 19, 2021 12:09 PM

Jan 2018
Hey all! Be ready to read a lot lol :D Let's dive into my definition real quick. My Definition of the "True Anime Experience" (edit: forgot the quotes):
-To watch it when it was airing
-To not skip fillers
-To not skip OP's and ED's
-To be stuck on the previews and deal with the pain of waiting another week
-To be stuck waiting a year(s) for the possibility of another season/movie/OVA/ONA/etc.
-To hopefully not get spoiled
-To interact with the community, online or in person
-To reflect on each episode, characters, themes, ost, etc.
-To see those extras or skits at the end or beginning of the episode
-To avoid binging or joining the party too late
-It's possible I forgot some other stuff but that's all I got

I'm not saying that binging is bad or not being apart of the runtime for a respective anime means it's a fake experience. They're not and I still do both to a degree. All I'm really saying is that this is about as genuine as an experience gets with anime in general. I highly praise the people that stuck it out with the show and don't wait for it to end or something like that to binge it. I do understand the notion of binging, not even knowing about the anime, and not having time, but that just makes the overall anime experience better b/c you, YOU experienced the show from the beginning and until the end. Day 1 type stuff :)

This is something that I strive to do, but find quite hard to accomplish. I end up absorbing the material of shows at a much slower rate b/c of my own opinion on how to enjoy the anime. I've adapted and developed my way of watching anime to ensure I support my definition.

I was wondering what and how people would define their own version of, "The True Anime Experience". Do you even care about something like this? How would you tell others the "optimal" way to enjoy an anime if you could? Do you agree with me? Am I being to analytical? Is this another elitist question? Everyone has a different way of enjoying an anime, what are your thoughts?

Here's One Ex: The hype around Naruto Shippuden OP 16 when it released was crazy, and even I was there for it despite only finishing OG Naruto. I got spoiled here and there thanks to Storm 4, and as the climax approached I ended up watching OP 19 and OP 20 too. I was genuinely hype for the finale of the series (again, never actually watched the episodes) and even found some great nostalgia for the series. Hearing about Boruto was cool too! Right now, I find it hard to actually make it through the series b/c I know the basics of the story. I can't imagine how much things I would've been impacted by and avoided if I'd actually kept up with the series and had truly experienced the anime during its runtime. This was like 4-5 years ago! I've been with AoT since season 2 and oh boy has it been an adventure.
BlazingRozeSep 19, 2021 1:18 PM
“The past makes you wanna die out of regret and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.” – Hachiman Hikigaya

“The present isn’t everything, but there are things you can only do now, things you can only find here. It’s now or never.” – Shizuka Hiratsuka
Sep 19, 2021 12:22 PM

Mar 2020
What the is the point of the thread again?

I hate it when Honeymoon phase people rant about how much they love anime
Sep 19, 2021 12:26 PM

Mar 2015
The true anime experience is to build a shrine of your waifu and pray to it every night.
Sep 19, 2021 12:30 PM

Sep 2014
Just don't watch it in dubs and you're good.
Sep 19, 2021 12:31 PM

Nov 2016
True Ashita no Joe enjoyer be like "just be born in the 60's"

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 19, 2021 12:36 PM

Feb 2018
This is the true anime experience, for true anime fans

Sep 19, 2021 12:46 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think there's such a thing as a "true anime experience." Everyone is different in how they watch and experience anime. Some are simple enjoyers whereas others tend to be more analytical. As far as binging, I don't really see how waiting to watch an anime is a bigger sign of a true fan. The fact that you strongly want to watch the next episode is a true sign I think. I just don't like having to wait in anticipation for the next episode. Because then the hype dies down for me and I'm more likely to get distracted by other shows in the process of waiting. I can't say I envy the days of watching Naruto fillers when I was a kid. The fillers were fine. But they got boring over time and I eventually stopped watching them since it was a constant rinse-and-repeat cycle of Naruto and his friends possibly finding a lead to Sasuke and then something goes wrong.
removed-userSep 19, 2021 12:53 PM
Sep 19, 2021 1:00 PM

Feb 2020
Advantages of watching anime after they finished
-not forced into 1ep/week pace
-better subtitles available
-improved visuals of DVD/BD version

Advantages of watching them as they air
-"I was there"

Yeah no, hard disagree with the "Day 1" stuff. Apart from that I don't really care, but always watching OP and ED is underrated.
Sep 19, 2021 3:19 PM

May 2018
"The True Anime Experience is to..."

To not eat popcorn while watching it...you should eat rice crackers instead and drink green tea (no sugar of course).
Sep 19, 2021 3:25 PM

Jan 2018
Tendo_GM said:

Do you have a specific method/pov when it comes to watching/enjoying anime and here's how I view it, is my main point of the thread. My perspective is a little grand and I tend to elaborate a lot. Sorry, I probably could've made this more simple.

TheFireNinja said:

I agree with you. I never meant to bash bingers and I strongly believe binging long shows like One Piece, Naruto, Hxh, and anything else 50+ episodes is actually warranted. I mainly reference something that's hype and being apart of that waiting process which bingers don't really get to be apart of. Perhaps I had conveyed it negatively or could've elaborated more.

Fillers are kind of whatever to me as it really only applies to long-running shows. I won't say I enjoy all the fillers, but people that love the show had to deal with it until the canon parts were ready at the time it was airing. I follow the idea that: If people who followed the show every week had to deal with the fillers (bad or good), then I'll also do the same to get the whole anime experience. Emphasis on whole. I'm starting to think I should've expanded more on what I mean by "True Anime Experience" oh well :P

mazuchi said:

My bad if it seemed like I was disregarding animes that are already finished. They're technically better for incoming watchers and I do agree with the 3 points. However, I do feel like they miss out on the general hype/other emotions surrounding the episodes when they initially released. "Day 1" type of feel might've been ignorant of me, but allow me to use AoT as a quick example: I'll never forget the pain I had to deal with for almost every single cliffhanger as the seasons progressed. I enjoyed every bit of it but also despised it, lol. I won't forget the discussions I lurked on and yeah. I personally feel that it's hard to get the "day 1/week 1" experience after the anime is finished. All you can do is take a look back at past discussions, videos, comments, etc. to get a sense of what others were thinking about at the time. Talk about it with people who haven't or have seen it, so yeah.

Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts :)
“The past makes you wanna die out of regret and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.” – Hachiman Hikigaya

“The present isn’t everything, but there are things you can only do now, things you can only find here. It’s now or never.” – Shizuka Hiratsuka
Sep 19, 2021 3:42 PM
busy week =_+

Dec 2014
-To watch it when it was airing
-To avoid binging or joining the party too late

Sorry but I have to disagree with this. As someone who has a bad memory, I will forget the story if I wait for a week for the next episode. The only benefit of watching when the show is airing is, like the other user here said, "I was there, HYPE!" bragging rights.

The True Anime Experience is to watch anime however and whenever you like it.

CURRENT: semi-hiatus (busy)

Sep 19, 2021 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
Just watch your cartoons raw and it'll be true enough
Sep 19, 2021 4:01 PM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
yeah, another vote for "there's no true anime watching experience", but i can totally get where you're coming from, watching stuff while it airs can definitely be very fun. to be a part of the coversation while it forms and to do this weekly and see the hype train launch for shows that you think deserve it can be satisfying and it's not such a small element of the hobby for me, so i get you.

one thing i really disagree with though, is your point about fillers, it's by far better to skip those 9 times out of 10, regardless of whether you're binging or following the show while it airs. you expressed this idea of watching fillers out of solidarity or something towards those that had to deal with it while the show was running, but a major way people that followed it in real time dealt with fillers, was just to skip those in real time just as well.

for instance, when i followed shippuden weekly for years, it was very easy to discern from the preview, when a filler arc was starting (from the jump to some nonsense and the very noticeable drop in animation quality) and you just skip a few weeks (or months) until cannon resumes, no need to waste your time and put yourself through that just for the sake of the meme about fillers sucking, even the makers of that content know it exists solely to give the manga breathing room and put very little effort into it most of the time.

betaweebSep 19, 2021 4:12 PM
Sep 19, 2021 4:09 PM

Jan 2018
Yumerei said:

I get you. Is it really only bragging rights?...Sadly it might be. Sorry, like I said I never meant to bash bingers :) At the end of the day, I do believe watching it and how you enjoy it is the truest of answers. That's why I started doing first impressions!
BlazingRozeSep 19, 2021 4:25 PM

Sep 19, 2021 4:27 PM

Jan 2018
betaweeb said:

Hey! Thanks for broadening my understanding on fillers. I always thought that most of the time people watch fillers even if it's bad or whatever (again, I think this really only applies to long running shows. 1-3 episodes filler are more doable). Yes, occasionally there are good fillers like G8 in One Piece, but most fall flat. I tend to power through them though no matter how bad it is b/c it's what the anime studio decided to present during the wait time for the fans. As far as I know, I've never skipped filler. If it's boring then usually I just let it play while I'm doing something else. I don't actually sit through fillers unless it's good or they're short filler arcs. Like I said to Yumerei, enjoy and watch anime based on your preference is the best way, so I agree :D

Sep 19, 2021 4:33 PM

Jan 2020
The true anime experience is to go in blind and without getting spoiled at all, not even in the slightest.
I sometimes forget to finish my sentences.
Sep 19, 2021 8:48 PM

Oct 2014
Sorry, but actually, it's none of those.

If you watch anime, and enjoy it or even hate it, that's all there is to it. There is no true experience, and that is some gatekeepy non-sense to think that there is.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 19, 2021 8:59 PM

Jan 2020
I agree with things you said. And to watch in high quality resolution

Sep 19, 2021 9:04 PM

Jul 2016
Yumerei said:
As someone who has a bad memory, I will forget the story if I wait for a week for the next episode.
finally, someone i can relate to. my memory is so sh*t
Sep 19, 2021 9:12 PM

Aug 2018
like everything, it varies from person to person. some people like to watch airing, some don't, and that's fine.

i've never been a fan of be-all-end-alls

mogu mogu

🍙🍙
Sep 19, 2021 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
You ain't truly experiencing anime if watch it without
Sep 19, 2021 9:19 PM

Apr 2021
When im sucked into the anime. Doesnt really matter if it's airing or im just binging, if i feel excited maybe even cry or get stressed like im in the anime,,, then id say that's a true experience.
“I am the Dark Flame Master. Perish, enveloped in the flames of darkness!”
Sep 20, 2021 1:34 AM

Jan 2021
The true anime experience is loving certain shows, while not the same can be done to most of the viewers.
Sep 20, 2021 1:41 AM
Aug 2021
IronGhost115 said:
This is the true anime experience, for true anime fans

Why he built like a roblox character with the muscle T-shirt on
I CANT LFMAO THE JAWLINE-
We’re all dead just in different stages
Past and Future
Sep 20, 2021 1:48 AM

Apr 2020
The True Anime Experience is to watch anime (and read manga), be amazed by it, share the good vibes with your weeb friends, and make positive and some negative memories with your anime experience for months and years to come.

Pure simple.
Sep 20, 2021 2:25 AM

Dec 2018
Idk, I guess try to be comfy while watching anime.
Sep 20, 2021 4:28 AM

Oct 2014
The True Anime Experience is to... cry.

BlazingRoze said:
-To watch it when it was airing.

Honestly though, I think this is actually a "wrong" way to watch anime, at least certain types.

Sure there's always the weekly hype on watching the weekly episodes, but some things get (definitely can get) lost during that week of waiting.
Especially stories which require certain level of build up and immersion, the feelings and your affinity to the story can get decisively weakened during the 7 days cooldown.

Of course this does not matter with comedic shows or stuff you're "just watching for the sake of it".

It's not like I like to wait for the show to Finish to binge it, but rather, I'm waiting so I don't have to watch it on the span of several months.
Intelligent gets through situations which wise avoids.
Sep 20, 2021 7:48 PM

Jan 2018
Hulio said:
The True Anime Experience is to... cry.

Yeah, I agree with this :) Um. As for the other part of your post I do agree with it too. I realize that my opinion is a kind of a stupid "hot take" lol, and definitely could've formatted my writing better. I don't actually live by this rule where I'll die if I don't follow it. Heck, I just try to stick by it and I don't even do half of the stuff that I stated for every anime. I largely agree with all other views that opposed my statement too. All I'm saying is that in an ideal world, I would do something similar to my definition. Emphasis on an ideal world b/c that was something I forgot to state and unconsciously incorporated into my writing. At the end of the day, I actually enjoy anime much differently than what I said above. So yeah, enjoy anime to your hearts' content!

Thanks for sharing everyone! I'm done making quick replies and quotes. It was fun to read the responses and respond to some of them. I'll take a gander with this topic anytime, just pm me or leave a comment on my profile instead future peeps, if you're interested. Thanks again :D

Sep 20, 2021 7:51 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
The True Anime Experience is to enjoy when you're watching it and drop it when you're not enjoying it, simple :)

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Sep 21, 2021 4:02 AM

Jul 2019
You know what you like, what to watch and enjoy the gift that is anime.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 21, 2021 4:31 AM

Nov 2015
maybe not when it was airing right away but around its time, because sometime i find something that makes me say " i wish i had watch earlier" to properly enjoy it. with that i said that i missed a lot of the 90's and early 2000's because of school :(

💢

Sep 21, 2021 4:33 AM

Nov 2015
The tru anime exp is of course to expend all of your saving to buy a ticket to japan and watch it on fancy 3d cinema theater :P whatever flick you might like..

💢

More topics from this board

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - 3 hours ago

11 by deg »»
6 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

23 by FanofAction »»
6 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

59 by KittenCuddler »»
19 minutes ago

» Skibidi toilet piece (One piece story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 11 hours ago

18 by traed »»
25 minutes ago

» Attack on skibidi toilet (attack on Titan story but with skibidi toilet)

Cyborgium - 38 minutes ago

1 by SnipeStrike »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.