Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 16, 2021 2:32 AM

Aug 2016
Hype! A movie based on the horrendous filler episode from the original gundamu series! I'm sure this isn't going to be trash.

To think, they'd make a movie remake of the shitty filler episode that everybody, including the creator of the gundam series himself, thinks is bad. But they won't just make an actual 0079 remake. Who wanted this? Who thought of this even?
Sep 16, 2021 3:04 AM

May 2020
For what's worth, I watched the series version of the OG Gundam first, before getting bored of its formula at ep.24 and switching to the movies, so I watched that episode too, and honestly I didn't find it bad at all (I could name other anime episodes I find bad myself (certainly way worse than this) - subjectively of course).
At any rate, I don't think I'm too interested in rewatching it with modern footage myself, but I can think of a reason why this is remade

P.S. Also OP, you didn't like the og episode and yet you'll be watching the remake? How come?
Sep 16, 2021 4:14 AM

Aug 2016
NeaRetrogamer said:
For what's worth, I watched the series version of the OG Gundam first, before getting bored of its formula at ep.24 and switching to the movies, so I watched that episode too, and honestly I didn't find it bad at all (I could name other anime episodes I find bad myself (certainly way worse than this) - subjectively of course).
At any rate, I don't think I'm too interested in rewatching it with modern footage myself, but I can think of a reason why this is remade

P.S. Also OP, you didn't like the og episode and yet you'll be watching the remake? How come?

Mostly curious, plus if they're deciding to make a full blown movie out of it, I imagine it's going to be completely different than the original episode, I don't think I'll go into it expecting the same quality as the episode at least. I just find it weird how they decided to make a movie out of a random episode of the original Gundam. Especially the episode that the original creator himself thought was not as good as the rest of the episodes and made it so they never had it released in North America.

Also seeing Gundam in non-70's art/animation is very appealing to me.
Sep 16, 2021 4:47 AM
Mar 2018
So I guess I'm in the minority for thinking this filler episode was fine, lol.
Sep 16, 2021 4:58 AM

Aug 2016
Raiden1407 said:
So I guess I'm in the minority for thinking this filler episode was fine, lol.

I haven't talked to many people about gundam in general, so who knows, maybe there's an entire paradise full of gundam filler episode fans out there waiting to find you. I don't think the episode is the worst thing ever made, so I don't think it's weird to even think it's a good episode.
Sep 16, 2021 5:12 AM

Dec 2014
I'm just hyped to see how they update the design of M'Quve's Gyan unless that's another island episode.
Sep 16, 2021 5:32 AM

Jun 2020
Lol I don't even remember the episode. But I don't think it would be bad coz I don't remember any Gundam episode that I didn't really enjoy.
Sep 16, 2021 7:08 AM

May 2017
Oh god, the absolute no question worst episode in the original series, it's not even close. Well I guess I'm at least interested to see what the hell they're gonna do with it lol.
Sep 16, 2021 7:49 AM

Oct 2020
So this is from a filler, but y tho?

Sep 16, 2021 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
The episode isn't even that bad, plus it's not really "filler" because it's the only episode in the series to lay out the map.
Sep 16, 2021 8:25 AM
Aug 2021
lol imagine being so retarded you want an 0079 remake
Sep 16, 2021 8:38 AM

Jan 2010
The thing is Yoshikazu can probably do whatever he wants with this project. If I were him I'd make it totally weird, hilarious and absurd.
(|__/) Never give up, aim for the top!
(='.'=) Top wo nerae!
o(")(") Anime music: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=777199
Sep 16, 2021 9:20 AM

Nov 2019
Doan bros...it's finally our time...
Sep 16, 2021 10:41 AM

Feb 2005
There's a manga that this is based on, and it contains various MSV units lik the black Local type Gundam. It's probably made to sell kits, I wouldn't be surprised to see P-Bandai releases of Aqua GM and Zaku Marine coming along with this.
Sep 16, 2021 11:14 AM

Jun 2008
With Yoshikazu directing, this is in good hands.
Sep 16, 2021 3:32 PM

Jun 2010
Maybe it will be a comedy.
Sep 16, 2021 4:53 PM
May 2007
DancingTheBa said:
Hype! A movie based on the horrendous filler episode from the original gundamu series! I'm sure this isn't going to be trash.

To think, they'd make a movie remake of the shitty filler episode that everybody, including the creator of the gundam series himself, thinks is bad. But they won't just make an actual 0079 remake. Who wanted this? Who thought of this even?

Technically, the movie trilogy is a remake lol

But if you want a remake with modern animation, play the games like the PS2 games or Giren's Greed.
Sep 16, 2021 5:34 PM

Aug 2016
ParaParaJMo said:
DancingTheBa said:

But if you want a remake with modern animation, play the games like the PS2 games or Giren's Greed.

I'd say the movie is considered compilation movies, not remakes. Unless if there's a trilogy I'm unaware of.
Sep 16, 2021 7:42 PM
May 2007
DancingTheBa said:
ParaParaJMo said:

I'd say the movie is considered compilation movies, not remakes. Unless if there's a trilogy I'm unaware of.

Considering the movies (well, most notably the third one) has some major changes, they're good enough as a remake for me. Anyway, the movie trilogy is the official canon so that episode in question isn't either.
Sep 17, 2021 12:58 AM
Sep 2018
DancingTheBa said:
ParaParaJMo said:

The third film might as well be considered a remake considering how much it cuts and changes, along with the fact it redid upwards of 90% of the animation for the big screen.
Sep 17, 2021 1:42 AM

Feb 2020
I don't think I disliked that episode. Anyway, if they make a whole movie based on an unpopular episode, then they probably got something interesting planned.
Sep 17, 2021 4:24 AM
Apr 2015
I just watched gundam for the first time this year so this timing is quite perfect to me. The source episode for this didn't stand out as being really good or bad so...ok...why is this being remade instead of something like, the last of episode of the original gundam. The last episode was already great, but even better visuals would be even better. Giving good visuals to any episode in the first half of this series seems a bit pointless since there weren't really any standout episodes except for that fight against Garma.
Sep 17, 2021 5:46 AM

Jan 2016
The most sacred anime episode in our industry
Sue me, see if I care
Sep 19, 2021 6:34 AM

May 2015
I actually loved this episode. I actually cant wait for this. Hell yeah !!
My Candies:
Sep 22, 2021 12:28 AM
Apr 2008
I love when we get to see stories from a minor character's POV, so this movie seems just up my alley.
There was enough potential within the episode that I could definitely see this work as an expanded retelling.
Heck, I wouldn't mind if it time skipped into later parts of the Universal Century
Did Doan live the rest of his days on that island or did fate bring him back into the fold, like perhaps during the events of Zeta Gundam? What about Rolland and the kids?
If it wasn't obvious, I definitely don't hate this episode.
Sep 24, 2021 4:36 PM

Sep 2012
Gundam_Sage said:
With Yoshikazu directing, this is in good hands.

Exactly what I was thinking. I just finished the Origin manga and I have absolute faith in any way he interprets the original series. He has true love and understanding of the story and will absolutely make this something beautiful.

Baman said:
There's a manga that this is based on, and it contains various MSV units lik the black Local type Gundam. It's probably made to sell kits, I wouldn't be surprised to see P-Bandai releases of Aqua GM and Zaku Marine coming along with this.

Also I think this is almost guaranteed, because how are they gonna make a new entry in a toy commercial franchise without advertising toys?
Mar 12, 2022 1:14 AM

Apr 2014
I'm baffled by the decision to make this, but I absolutely love it. I'm really looking forward to this.

On that note, the version of MSG I watched was one which removed the episode. Do you think I should watch it before this movie?
Mar 19, 2022 6:50 PM
Jul 2020
I just received the word that this is getting animated. Never really remembered that much from uc79 filler episodes that much (zeta gundam slaps hard because even filler is good),
Mar 24, 2022 5:04 PM

Feb 2012
ChangeLeopardon said:
I'm baffled by the decision to make this, but I absolutely love it. I'm really looking forward to this.

On that note, the version of MSG I watched was one which removed the episode. Do you think I should watch it before this movie?

Yas explains why in his Forbes interview:
When it comes to the episode Cucuruz Doan's Island from Mobile Suit Gundam, this was effectively a side-story. So when plans are made on doing digest-type movies, these kinds of episodes are prime candidates. During the production of the original anime, this episode was outsourced to a completely different team to give the main team more time to focus on the core story. This meant the episode’s animation quality was bad, but it still had a great story. That means when I went to the head of Sunrise and asked if I could re-animate it and he said there were no issues with that.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Mar 26, 2022 12:20 PM

Apr 2014
Fortress_Maximus said:
ChangeLeopardon said:

Yas explains why in his Forbes interview:
When it comes to the episode Cucuruz Doan's Island from Mobile Suit Gundam, this was effectively a side-story. So when plans are made on doing digest-type movies, these kinds of episodes are prime candidates. During the production of the original anime, this episode was outsourced to a completely different team to give the main team more time to focus on the core story. This meant the episode’s animation quality was bad, but it still had a great story. That means when I went to the head of Sunrise and asked if I could re-animate it and he said there were no issues with that.

Perfect, I love it! Thanks.
Apr 24, 2022 5:26 AM

Nov 2007
Theme Song: "Ubugoe" by Hiroko Moriguchi
https://www.animatetimes.com/news/details.php?id=1650784049

BD released same day as premiere
https://natalie.mu/comic/news/478087

Long PV (region-locked)
https://twitter.com/g_cucuruzdoan/status/1532289669097996289
tsubasaloverJun 2, 2022 2:27 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
May 18, 2022 10:54 AM
Jun 2, 2022 9:06 PM

Oct 2017
I wish more films did a simultaneous BD release. It keeps international fans from having to wait like 6 months to actually see the film.
Jul 5, 2022 3:12 PM

Jul 2014
is there going to be a dub?

coming soon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island Episode 1 Discussion

Fortress_Maximus - Jun 18, 2022

23 by DoisacChopper »»
Oct 9, 2023 8:23 PM

» Can I watch it without watching any other gundam?

RealManasBose - Apr 29, 2023

6 by Berry-Vodka »»
May 16, 2023 11:20 PM

» Compare/Contrast with "Lost" Episode 15

xfade551 - Apr 29, 2023

2 by Daneslayer »»
Apr 29, 2023 7:51 PM

» Watch Order related to 0079 trilogy

Squeezi - Jun 11, 2022

8 by xfade551 »»
Apr 29, 2023 1:44 PM

» Crunchyroll will release the film in US/CA/AU/UK, English dub announced

Fortress_Maximus - Sep 9, 2022

2 by Fortress_Maximus »»
Apr 28, 2023 11:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.