Forum Settings
Forums

[Update Sep 15] Genres (and Themes!) Overhaul: Part 1 of 2

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2021 2:07 PM

Jan 2016
Oh, this is something I've really been hoping the site would implement. I really hope the rollout for this goes smoothly.
Sep 15, 2021 2:17 PM

Mar 2013
I am glad yaoi/yuri have been removed and changed to bl/gl + erotica, I don't associate yaoi/yuri with hentai, it was kind of irrelevant to have shounen/jo ai and yaoi/yuri.

But I still have no idea what dementia/avant garde is about.
Malloween candies
2023:
2022:
2021:
2020:
2019:
2017:
Sep 15, 2021 2:20 PM

Jul 2019
Excellent update, thanks for the hard work
Sep 15, 2021 2:41 PM

Jun 2019
I have many different thoughts on this, some of which I will expand on further later (I think Dementia being rolled into the Avant-Garde label is troublesome as arguably one of the most famous of Dementia anime, the Higurashi series, is decidedly and specifically Dementia-related in the way that term is understood (
) and isn't actually Avant-Garde in the conventional sense or thought of that way)), but for now one of the biggest issues I see (and requests on my part) is:

The Magic genre. I strongly request and advocate for restoration of the Magic label. It can be placed as a "Theme" as it isn't a major genre which has an equivalent in Western classifications of cinema and television, but it's absolutely not just synonymous with Fantasy. There are many, many anime, from Mahoutsukai no Yome to Majo no Tabitabi to By the Grace of the Gods to Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (the entire magical girl category!!!) for which a large part of their whole story revolves around practicing and developing magic as a skill set and lifestyle. It's quite specific and distinct from general Fantasy, at least in so much as the distinction is made between regular Slice of Life and "Work Life" or "School" or "Gourmet/Cooking".

There are many many series with the Magic tag which shouldn't see it removed as it absolutely provides more insight to the user and general reader over what to expect from those series specifically in comparison with general and broader Fantasy.

I also don't believe this should simply be transformed into Magical Girl/Mahou Shoujo or anything like that as that's also a very specific subset of anime with certain known traits and commonalities which are not present in all anime with the Magic label (many of whom do not have female protagonists, so doing that would be completely out of place).

Many Fantasy genre anime do not entail a novice apprentice, witch, etc. actively dedicating their life to practicing magic, leveling up, developing new named techniques, going from novice to intermediary or expert level, attending a magic school, etc. It is a highly specific niche and subgenre.
WatchTillTandavaSep 15, 2021 2:52 PM
Sep 15, 2021 3:21 PM
Laika Moonlight

Dec 2020
Wow, all the times I've mentioned "shounen/shoujo ai" being literally synonymous with "yaoi/yuri"...
Or the fact that "dementia" isn't a genre...
Or that "target demographics" (shounen, shoujo, seinen, josei, kids) are different from "genres" all seemed to pay off?

(Although I still stand by the opinion that there shouldn't be any distinction made between heteroromantic and homoromantic romance series. Romance is romance, plain and simple)

Actually, y'know what, I actually made a somewhat-lengthy post a while back about how flawed I thought MAL's definition of a "genre" was, where I lumped together many similar genres and discredited ones I felt don't meet the dictionary-definition of "genre"
Laika_Moonlight said:
Favorite:
Comedy, Drama, Action (plus "Martial Arts", "Military" and "Samurai"), Sci-Fi (and "Space")

Top-tier:
Supernatural (plus "Demons", "Vampire" and "Magic"), Mystery

Good:
Horror, Psychological, Thriller, Fantasy (plus "Magic" and "Demons")

Meh (can be good/bad depending on their premise):
Parody, Music, Romance (plus "Shoujo Ai", "Yuri", "Shounen Ai" and "Yaoi"), Crime (labelled "Police" on MAL), Historical, Adventure, Superhero (labelled "Super Power" on MAL)

Bad:
Mecha, Slice of Life, Sports (plus "Game" and "Cars")

Bottom-tier:
Harem

Least-favorite:
Ecchi, Hentai

Pretty sure these aren't "genres" and I would argue "Dementia" isn't even a subgenre of anything either:
Dementia, Yuri, Yaoi, Shoujo Ai, Shounen Ai, Game, Cars, Demons, Vampire, Kids, Shounen, Shoujo, Josei, Seinen, Magic, Martial Arts, Samurai, School, Space, Super Power, Police

I mean, IMO, the new "Award-winning" genre shouldn't be a "genre" either, but it's an improvement over the old system by miles!

Guess I'll have to update this quiz I made again, lol
My greatest contribution to this website:
Sep 15, 2021 3:35 PM

Feb 2018
Suggestions-
TheFlyingOrangeSep 15, 2021 4:59 PM
Sep 15, 2021 3:38 PM
Jun 2020
the best tag/genre though
c a r s, beautiful i know it
looks interesting and promising
Nissan 350Z
Sep 15, 2021 3:45 PM

Mar 2011
I'm kinda worried about MAL AWC Club, but hope it turns to be a good change overall!

Sep 15, 2021 4:11 PM

Dec 2016
Malgraph has a pretty well documented list of Mahou Shoujo and GAR anime
I arrange video game sheet music for piano:
My arrangements
My (very few) anime arrangements
Sep 15, 2021 4:52 PM

May 2012
Sorry, but I dislike these changes. Also, why did you change all the titles to japanese ones but decide to rename genres? I mean, people (that I know at least) use way more often yuri/yaoi than Girls love / boys love.
Sep 15, 2021 5:11 PM

Jun 2017
So is ecchi just suggestive and erotica is like hentai but with a more established plot? I do like the change of "Shoujo Ai".
Sep 15, 2021 5:13 PM

Feb 2017
(asking for a friend) how do we go about finding every yaoi anime in one place at once? before you could just look under yaoi but now you need to advance search boys love + one of the three explicit genres. i checked and you cant search boys love + all three explicit genres at once bc it shows no results

placeholder text
Sep 15, 2021 5:25 PM

Jan 2015
Damn, RIP Dementia :^(
Sep 15, 2021 5:38 PM

Sep 2018
Amazing change imo, I can't wait to see what the themes will bring!
Just a casual anime watcher
Sep 15, 2021 5:40 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
How exciting! This will be really helpful when it comes to finding certain anime with certain themes!
As much as I love the idea of having Gourmet as a genre, it should probably be a theme. Same can be said for a few of the other genres. Still, I'll take it and I'm really excited for this!
Nice work, MAL!

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Sep 15, 2021 6:03 PM

May 2010
@Kineta Still a few bugs to fix? as a lot of my custom tags are not showing half the anime they are still tagged with.
Sep 15, 2021 6:10 PM

Nov 2018
All in all a very welcome (and much overdue) change, that I think gives a great basis for future additions and improvements to the database. That said, I think there are some things that just don't make sense.

• Award Winning is not a genre, nor is it a theme. A movie, TV show, etc. receiving an award has nothing to do with its content.
  • Gourmet and Work Life aren't genres either, but they would belong into the themes category.
  • What's the point in renaming Thriller to Suspense? Thrillers is a well established name in media, so why change it to a term nobody would ever use? If you were asked what kind of movie you watched in a cinema, you wouldn't respond "a Suspense movie", you would say "a Thriller".
  • I'd like to see the Magic genre back in some form. As I'm expecting to see Mahou Shoujo as a theme in the future, it would only make sense to also have a general tag for Magic to separate the two.
ShockZzSep 15, 2021 7:16 PM
Sep 15, 2021 6:18 PM

Dec 2015
One of the issues I see with combining Shoujo Ai/Yuri into Girls Love is that the former was kinda separated by how lewd it was. With the new tags, this means that if someone was looking for a wholesome CGDCT with some Girls Love (such as Yuru Yuri), they will also be greeted by all the yuri hentai as well.

This issue could be resolved if the "Advanced Search" function had the same filter mechanism that the Seasonal Anime page, since the latter allows for tags to be both included and excluded at the same time.
It's not the Slates that is essential to people. What we need is...
Well...
A small table to share a meal... That's more than enough.

That's my conclusion. The answer I've reached as the Silver King.
Sep 15, 2021 6:35 PM

Feb 2020
Looks pretty nice. Finally some anime on MAL don't have like 10 different genres; confusing to distinguish what it actually focuses on
Sep 15, 2021 6:48 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
ShaggyZE said:
@Kineta Still a few bugs to fix? as a lot of my custom tags are not showing half the anime they are still tagged with.
Could you PM me a few screenshots please? This is the first I'm hearing about this.
Sep 15, 2021 6:54 PM
Fantasy lover

Aug 2017
Kineta said:

Goal: Limit the number of genres to as few as possible, which are either extremely broad or should be added only by moderators

Why? D:

Themes: [New!] Story categories which easily contain 50-100+ well-known works in the community.
Moderator- and user-defined. Users can vote on themes using the "Tags" field on their lists.

I generally really like the idea of themes. When they are similar to Anime-Planet and Animedb, then good. I don't like that so many genres are now themes though. Demons, Harem, School, Psychological,... were just fine as genres. Themes should be more something like OP Main Character, Battle Royale, Isekai,.. But this still needs Moderators to approve since a lot of the themes/settings are unclear. Sword Art Online for example is often treated as an isekai Anime but they are just playing a game. Their body is also still in the real world and they later on can go back to the normal world as they please. Anime-Planet for example has SAO listed as "Trapped in a Video Game" and "Virtual Reality" which is much more fitting. This definitely needs clarification.

Tags: Custom genres/themes/categories etc. which users can add to their list where the pre-defined genres/themes are lacking.

Are they visible just for yourself after adding them or will they be added to the Genres/Themes once enough people have added them? Or are Tags another thing that will be displayed with Genres and Themes that have more specific things like "Serial Killers", "Revenge", "Dark Fantasy"?
If the last thing is the case, I would prefer if they would be just listed under Themes and Genres.

Part 1 - Genres
Released today

✅ Split existing demographics and themes away from genres.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't think it's a bad idea to split it from the genres in generel but it also get's really annoying when so many things get their own columns. It's easier to find them if they are all at the same spot. Demographic is probably better with having their own column but Explicit Genre should just stay in the normal genre tab.

New Genre List
Award Winning—New.

This shouldn't be a genre. Either a theme or something like a note or batch somewhere on the page.

Boys Love—old "Shounen Ai" genre renamed.
Girls Love—old "Shoujo Ai" genre renamed.

Why??? The japanese names were completely fine D:

Erotica—New. Explicit genre between "Ecchi" and "Hentai" (aka Smut).

Sounds like a helpful genre since you previously had to look if it's R+ rated and that isn't an accurate way.
*Edit: I thought this would be something like "softcore Hentai", as well as Ecchi, where you can see butts and nipples (R+ Rating) but everything listed under it are Yaoi and Yuri. Is it like I assumed and they just aren't added yet or are only BL/GL Anime under that genre?

Gourmet—New.

Sound good as well.

Suspense—old "Thriller" genre renamed.

I prefered Thriller alot more. Why the change? Renaming Dementia is good but I don't understand this change.

Work Life—New.

I also like that one :D

Yaoi—now tagged "Boys Love" and "Erotica".
Yuri—now tagged "Girls Love" and "Erotica".

Could be good.

Genres that are now Themes:
Cars is good as a theme. Same goes to Martial Arts, Police, Samurai and Space. They are mostly "sub-genres" to Action, Mystery and Sci-Fi.
Demons and Vampire are also good as a theme, however a genre like "Monsters" should be added instead which also includes Zombies, Slimes,...
Game is a genre. Maybe not for every entry but most Anime (3-gatsu no Lion for example) have it that way.
Same with Harem, Historical, Mecha, Military, Music, Parody, Psychological, School and Super Power. They should stay as genres.
Why is Magic gone? D: I think it should stay as a genre and sub-genres like Mahou Shoujo can be listed under themes.

All in all a very good (and long needed) update but I'm still pretty unhappy with a lot of these changes.

(Adding Dark Mode is also a good idea :D)
KeikenSep 15, 2021 7:49 PM
Sep 15, 2021 7:16 PM
Fantasy lover

Aug 2017
amagirinomikoto said:
(asking for a friend) how do we go about finding every yaoi anime in one place at once? before you could just look under yaoi but now you need to advance search boys love + one of the three explicit genres. i checked and you cant search boys love + all three explicit genres at once bc it shows no results

Marking all 3 genres would mean it has all 3, which obviously is not the case. You can just search for Shounen Ai (or now BL) to see all. Hentai, Erotica and Ecchi are to narrow down the search. Your "normal" Yaoi will be under Erotica, rarely (if at all) only under Hentai.
KeikenSep 16, 2021 11:11 AM
Sep 15, 2021 7:17 PM

Feb 2018

[*]Avant Garde—old "Dementia" genre renamed, since majority of works fit the new genre.

Okay, now we can add Monogatari franchise and all Masaaki Yuasa and Kunihiko Ikuhara anime... I guess.
kataneerSep 15, 2021 7:20 PM
Sep 15, 2021 8:16 PM

Jan 2020
The split for the demographics, themes, etc. is quite nice.

It's nice seeing mal making some changes lately

Sep 15, 2021 8:23 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
I added explanations for the three new genres which seemed to confuse everyone to the first post.
Award Winning—New.
To collect series which have won notable awards, specifically the awards announced by our News Team: Anime | Manga
It is a genre because it should only be set by moderators, not voted on by the community.

[...]
Gourmet—New.
It is titled Gourmet and not Food/Cooking because it includes drink as well. グルメ漫画 is used in Japan.
Gourmet was elevated to a genre due to its high prevalence in Japan but lesser awareness in the West (so only mods can tag it).

[...]
Work Life—New.
Since definitions are not out yet, it seems most people confused "Work Life" with "School", evidencing the need to make it set by moderators only.
"Work Life" is not "stories which take place in work settings". It is a specific genre in Japan focused on conveying the work life of a given occupation. It was elevated to a genre due to its prevalence in Japanese manga but lesser awareness in the West (so only mods can tag it).

Please note that just because a tag you like (e.g. Music) is not in the "Genre" list, does not make it suddenly disappear or lesser than the others. We want to make it very clear which field is set by moderators (Genres) and which field can also be added based on community vote (Themes). If you enjoy Music anime, this means you more freely vote to add a Music tag to an entry that doesn't have it yet.

Yes, we plan to make it possible to both include and exclude genres/themes using the advanced search very soon. This should help you to easily separate what was previously Yaoi/Yuri from BL/GL.

Yes, we know how much you want Dark Mode. It affects every single page on the website and so is not an easy change to implement without significant backend work. Please understand that it will take time and you will likely see many new features/upgrades before Dark Mode is added.

Magic was removed because it was synonymous with Fantasy and the moderators were struggling with what to do with it even before we began discussing the overhaul. We will get more specific themes (e.g. Mahou Shoujo) to help you find the series you want to watch/read.

Your list tags can still be used as normal. If your existing tag (e.g. Isekai) matches MAL's pre-defined tag (e.g. Isekai), then it will count as a vote for that Theme. If your custom tag (e.g. weroi1h51ohq) does not match MAL's pre-defined themes, it will not count as a vote. How many people voted on a theme will not be visible: there will be a threshold required to meet for it to display on the entry. This threshold can be bypassed if a moderator sets it. A theme can also be removed if mods blacklist it for that entry. I know how users like to use list tags (e.g. some people like to fill them with sentences instead of words) so please don't worry that your tags will somehow be invalid.

The genre list is made as few as possible to limit the number of genres which must be set by moderators only. Users can vote on themes precisely because moderating the addition of many, many new themes would be impossible from a moderation-only standpoint—we don't want Themes backing up the queue.

Rapidly expanding our genres/themes is simply not feasible without community aid. Nor is it feasible to require mod pre-approval for every entry. So we are striking a balance between community voting power (Themes) and moderator pre-approval (Genres).

I understand that this is all very hard to imagine with only half the system deployed now so please give things a few more weeks. This entire process is incredibly stressful for everyone, including the mod team as we painstakingly try to redefine and shortlist the themes to launch with. Also, please understand that the advantage of all this development will be that if we need a new genre/theme due to rising fads in Japan, it will be significantly easier to add them now than it was previously. So it's not like we expect the new lists to be cast in stone for eternity another 15 years.

If I missed answering any very specific questions you had for me even after reading this update, please mention me and I will try to answer as soon as I can.
KinetaSep 15, 2021 8:30 PM
Sep 15, 2021 8:34 PM

May 2010
@Kineta is Genre/Theme/Demographic going to be added to the Filter link on our lists as well?
Sep 15, 2021 8:42 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
ShaggyZE said:
@Kineta is Genre/Theme/Demographic going to be added to the Filter link on our lists as well?
You mean like the dropdown on the Seasonal page for Genre/Theme/Demographic? For now, it was planned that they would operate like Tags: clicking them enables the single filter. I suppose you're wanting to multi-filter, like Romance+Comedy? Would a "My List" filter to the Advanced Search suffice for that, or are you wanting to multi-click to stack tag filters until they're cleared?
Sep 15, 2021 8:55 PM

May 2010
Kineta said:
ShaggyZE said:
You mean like the dropdown on the Seasonal page for Genre/Theme/Demographic? For now, it was planned that they would operate like Tags: clicking them enables the single filter. I suppose you're wanting to multi-filter, like Romance+Comedy? Would a "My List" filter to the Advanced Search suffice for that, or are you wanting to multi-click to stack tag filters until they're cleared?

yea, it would be for stacking say Adventure+Shounen, but on our lists, for the people like me that hide or move their tags/genre/etc..and make them unclickable, it would be nice if they could still be selected here

instead of manually editing the url, though I did already write a blog for all the genre/demogr. #'s.
ShaggyZESep 15, 2021 9:09 PM
Sep 15, 2021 9:07 PM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
ShaggyZE said:
no, like on our lists, so for the people like me that hide or move their tags/genre/etc..and make them unclickable, they can still be selected here.
Ohhh you're hiding them but still wanting to use them :thinking: That Filters pop-up is specific only to the Modern design and we haven't made any tech changes there yet since being acquired by Media Do iirc. So I'm not sure how easy or difficult that'd be to add.

Just as a random thought, would being able to collapse/hide the column on your list until you want to use it (expand) also achieve the same result?
Sep 15, 2021 9:13 PM

Aug 2020
Nice update

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Sep 15, 2021 9:35 PM

May 2010
Kineta said:
ShaggyZE said:
no, like on our lists, so for the people like me that hide or move their tags/genre/etc..and make them unclickable, they can still be selected here.
Ohhh you're hiding them but still wanting to use them :thinking: That Filters pop-up is specific only to the Modern design and we haven't made any tech changes there yet since being acquired by Media Do iirc. So I'm not sure how easy or difficult that'd be to add.

Just as a random thought, would being able to collapse/hide the column on your list until you want to use it (expand) also achieve the same result?

I see what you mean now, I suppose that would be useful too, not quite as handy as you still have to scroll down the list to find them, also don't think I can do it myself with CSS.

Having dropdown boxes in the modern filters pop-up would be the better solution imo since then it would be easier to combine genre+demogr. and soon theme instead of only being able to select one at a time without manually editing the url.
ShaggyZESep 15, 2021 9:58 PM
Sep 15, 2021 10:09 PM

Mar 2018
Kineta said:
I am extremely excited (and slightly terrified) to announce that we are in the process of rolling out a new Genres + Themes system on MAL!

When all development is complete, we aim to have a robust system which consists of three parts:
  • Genres
    • Top-level story categories which apply to a very wide range of works.
    • Moderator-defined only.
    • Goal: Limit the number of genres to as few as possible, which are either extremely broad or should be added only by moderators.
  • Themes [New!]
    • Story categories which easily contain 50-100+ well-known works in the community.
    • Moderator- and user-defined. Users can vote on themes using the "Tags" field on their lists.
    • Goal: Should be assigned freely without much worry of misunderstanding the theme's meaning or abuse.
  • Tags
    • Custom genres/themes/categories etc. which users can add to their list where the pre-defined genres/themes are lacking.
    • User-defined only.
    • Already exists on the Anime and Manga Lists.

By limiting the genres to only a handful of top-level categories, and opening themes to the community to apply to entries, we hope to greatly improve the number of keywords our databases can be searched with.

Since the genres system was extremely outdated (an overhaul has been a long time coming), we've split development into two parts.

Part 1 - Genres
Released today

✅ Split existing demographics and themes away from genres.
✅ Modify old genres: rename, remove, and add missing ones.
✅ Add genres and demographics as columns to the Anime List and Manga List (edit yours here).
🔜 Create new and strong definitions for each genre so that its usage is better defined.
   ↑ The DB mods and I are currently working hard on this, so expect some genre shuffling over the next weeks.

Part 2 - Themes
Coming Soon

🔜 Allow all users to vote on pre-defined themes by using the "Tags" section of their Anime/Manga Lists.
🔜 Modify current themes: rename, remove, and add missing ones (e.g. Isekai!).
   ↑ Currently systematically reviewing 600~700 themes to decide the final ones while tech is in development.

New Genre List
  1. Action
  2. Adventure
  3. Avant Garde—old "Dementia" genre renamed, since majority of works fit the new genre.
  4. Award Winning—New.
    To collect series which have won notable awards, specifically the awards announced by our News Team: Anime | Manga
    It is a genre because it should only be set by moderators, not voted on by the community.

5. Boys Love—old "Shounen Ai" genre renamed.
  6. Comedy
  7. Drama
  8. Ecchi
  9. Erotica—New. Explicit genre between "Ecchi" and "Hentai" (aka Smut).
  10. Fantasy
  11. Girls Love—old "Shoujo Ai" genre renamed.
  12. Gourmet—New.
    It is titled Gourmet and not Food/Cooking because it includes drink as well. グルメ漫画 is used in Japan.
    Gourmet was elevated to a genre due to its high prevalence in Japan but lesser awareness in the West (so only mods can tag it).

13. Hentai
  14. Horror
  15. Mystery
  16. Romance
  17. Sci-Fi
  18. Slice Of Life
  19. Sports
  20. Suspense—old "Thriller" genre renamed.
  21. Supernatural
  22. Work Life—New.
    Since definitions are not out yet, it seems most people confused "Work Life" with "School", evidencing the need to make it set by moderators only.
    "Work Life" is not "stories which take place in work settings". It is a specific genre in Japan focused on conveying the work life of a given occupation. It was elevated to a genre due to its prevalence in Japanese manga but lesser awareness in the West (so only mods can tag it).

23. Yaoi—now tagged "Boys Love" and "Erotica".
  24. Yuri—now tagged "Girls Love" and "Erotica".

New Themes List
Coming Soon

I hope this post was clear and that you'll look forward to continuous developments as this system rolls out!

[September 15 Update]

i already miss Dementia name
Sep 15, 2021 11:05 PM

Mar 2018
Kineta said:

Magic was removed because it was synonymous with Fantasy and the moderators were struggling with what to do with it even before we began discussing the overhaul. We will get more specific themes (e.g. Mahou Shoujo) to help you find the series you want to watch/read.

@Kineta
I'm sorry but this is just wrong. Not every magic has to be a fantasy. For example Toaru takes place in a pretty normal modern world but people do have magical powers. Anime that have it the other way probably exist as well. I'm sure there's a lot of anime that have only one of those genres and not both so they need to be tagged correctly.
FiliCZSep 16, 2021 4:59 AM

Sep 15, 2021 11:29 PM

Oct 2014
@Kineta, The justification for Award Winning as a Genre sounds like a stop-gap solution for keeping it Moderators only, when it should be in it's own separate field entirely. I think you guys know that already, but in case you don't, and for others..

This is my reasoning/argument that i submit: All 3 of the categories (Genre, Themes, and Tags) have to do with the descriptive content of a given website entry, whereas Awards have to do with prescribed accomplishment.

Awards, in the sense of any of those 3 categories, is not indicative of anything relating to or describing of the content for a website entry, and only acts as a supplement to what is already doing that job. You've already had some Awards listed in the background of anime, under the synopsis, i vote expanding that if you don't want to clog things up with yet another section to go along with Genres.

Thanks for your time.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Sep 15, 2021 11:48 PM

Apr 2019
@kineta "If I missed answering any very specific questions"

A word about migrating existing content in the tags field would be nice. As mentioned a lot of people use them as a notepad (of 256 chars) for e.g. reviews or thoughts. This is because the field is visible in the default layout, unlike the "comment" field which is meant for that.I.e. Tags = Public comments, ignoring the tag functionality.

I love to read "tag notes" by others and diligently write them for each completed show. So do many others and that content will (a) collide with and impede the new use, (b) is obviously a much wanted feature. So the idea was to copy it all over to another field which can be displayed. That can be comments or a new one.

Sep 16, 2021 12:17 AM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
>no music
>award winning is now a thing

it's cool and all but what
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Sep 16, 2021 12:43 AM

Apr 2016
Kineta said:

Rapidly expanding our genres/themes is simply not feasible without community aid. Nor is it feasible to require mod pre-approval for every entry. So we are striking a balance between community voting power (Themes) and moderator pre-approval (Genres).

Just don't turn this site into a circus like Anilist is.

Because as it stands now, you are this close to turning it into a circus.
Sep 16, 2021 2:02 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Oh, so this why Tags Cloud broke. Eh, well, some of the genre choices seem a bit sus, as the kids say nowadays. "Work life" (seems a bit redundant with SoL, the prevalent in Japan thing seems a bizarre reason because, well, what does that matter?) and "award winning" are genres? Point is, I don't quite get the difference between the themes and genres and what is chosen to be one or the other. Also, why is psychological not a genre anymore? Also #2, magic should be a theme, not removed.

That said, I do appreciate that with the genre/themes distinction, not every aspect of an anime has to be lumped together as a genre. The addition of the "demographic" field is also a good thing, long overdue.
BatoKusanagiSep 16, 2021 2:31 AM
Sep 16, 2021 2:09 AM

Apr 2019
Lunilah said:
@Kineta, The justification for Award Winning as a Genre sounds like a stop-gap solution for keeping it [...] Awards, in the sense of any of those 3 categories, is not indicative of anything relating to or describing of the content for a website entry, and only acts as a supplement to what is already doing that job.
Genre and theme describe the content of a piece of media, i.e. it's story and visuals. Awards are something attached externally and by this not in the same class. It's more like a "technical aspect", i.e. short episodes, use of real world footage and so on. It's meta-data, not data and thus shouldn't be mixed with data about the media's content (=themes and genres).

Sep 16, 2021 2:12 AM

Jul 2012
Kineta said:
I added explanations for the three new genres which seemed to confuse everyone to the first post.
Award Winning—New.

This explanation still means nothing when it comes to making it a Genre though, it's a category if anything or an interesting fact that should be in its own place in the respective entry page. Saying it works just because it can only be changed by mods doesn't change anything.

If MAL's intention is being more "strict" with the genres and not have so many in an entry then don't try and add things that have nothing to do with the actual content story wise.
"In the past few months since we met, I've shared many memories with Nagato. Though I've also shared memories with Haruhi, Asahina-san and Koizumi, I found that I've experienced more events with Nagato in particular. In fact, every situation seems to involve her. I might as well mention this, she's probably the only person to cause the bell within me to shake the most vigorously..." ~ Kyon, TMOSH
Sep 16, 2021 2:54 AM
真面目に勉強してる

Jul 2014
I hope there will be some sort of way to keep trolling users from adding plain wrong custom tags for everyone else to see because they are just too "funny". There is another anime tracking website that suffers from this exact problem.
I have written my own Ecchi short story. It is called Nopan Mahou Shoujo!
You can find the PDF here or read it online on Wattpad or on Archive of Our Own.
Sep 16, 2021 3:02 AM

Dec 2011
Kineta said:

[*]Award Winning—New.

I assume this will also be for novels/light novels? There doesn't seem to be news tags for awards for either at present.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Sep 16, 2021 3:28 AM

Sep 2010
Award Winning is useless. It's in the same category as "Most popular" and "Highest rated" - yeah, some might use that, but that not a genre, that's not a theme, that say nothing about content. Captain Obvious to the rescue! Faster than the speed of stupid!! People have different tastes. Shocking, I know. So, what's the best show ever on Earth for one might be the worst show on the planet for another.

There is such thing as shit taste. Only idiots think that every "work of art" should have the same value.

Persona anime are good. Deal with it.
Sep 16, 2021 3:59 AM

Jan 2018
I think it's a good idea to revamp the genre system and add themes but certain things which are now categorised as themes feel more like genres to me and vice versa.

Like others have said 'award winning' isn't a genre because it says nothing about what the actual contents of the show are. A separate option could be made to easily search for 'award winning' shows outside of the genres/themes.

Gourmet is really a theme. There are no standards and clichés for how a gourmet show should be except for the theme of cooking/drinking.

I would rename 'suspense' to 'thriller' because it's a well-defined genre already.

Again with 'work life' the same reasoning can be used as 'gourmet' as conveying the work life of a certain occupation is a theme and it doesn't have clearly defined standards and clichés as genres would have.

'Isekai' and 'mahou-shoujo' are basically genres within anime as they have their own standards for how the story goes and their own set of clichés going along with them.

'Historical' is missing while this is clearly a genre in a lot of different media. The same goes for 'satire/comedy'. Letting users decide whether these should be a theme or not could cause some very heated debates so I think these would be better reserved for the genre list as they are seen as a genre in other media as well.

In general, I wonder whether letting users decide what the themes of a show are would be a good idea in the first place. On AniList for example, I often see themes which may appear in only 1 episode of a certain anime.
Sep 16, 2021 4:08 AM

Oct 2017
If genre = mod-defined and themes = user-defined, then the names should be changed because that's not what the definition of either is.
BunilleSep 16, 2021 4:13 AM
Sep 16, 2021 4:18 AM

Oct 2015
I'm just echoing what everyone is saying, but gourmet and work life should be themes, not genres. and award winning seems a bit pointless to me. If people want to find popular shows they can just look at the member count or top anime.

Otherwise this is great, I'm elated to see MAL finally making some much-anticipated improvements ^^
and I love that magic was so needless they didn't even mention its removal... xD
Sep 16, 2021 4:52 AM

Nov 2020
Kineta said:
I know how users like to use list tags (e.g. some people like to fill them with sentences instead of words) so please don't worry that your tags will somehow be invalid.

That's great news, I thought tags would be deleted or reset so I even made a backup before your update lol.

Sep 16, 2021 5:23 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Okay but when is Hangyakusei Million Arthur getting their comedy tag and when will there be consistency in demographic tag from LN adaptions?
Sep 16, 2021 5:41 AM
Jun 2021
It looks more organized now.
Sep 16, 2021 5:41 AM

Feb 2019
Another thing, @Kineta. I do grasp the difference between ecchi, erotica, and hentai. What I don't understand is how it's possible to find in the db works tagged with both erotica and hentai, or even all three: ecchi, erotica, and hentai.

Wouldn't it be better to use it as a "grading" scale? If it's porn, it wouldn't have the erotica tag, because you can expect everything "below" it in the explicit genre spectrum. If it's erotica, it wouldn't have the ecchi tag for the same reason. You know, to avoid redundancy, contradiction (erotica isn't porn), and clogging the tags. I could maybe see a case for ecchi plus one of the other two, given that ecchi has its set of tropes and expectations that people immediately associate with the term, but not for erotica and hentai together.
KosmonautSep 16, 2021 6:00 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

207 by Shin_016 »»
9 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

423 by RED-clover12 »»
Yesterday, 10:19 AM

» Planned 5hr Maintenance, Thursday April 25 @ 1am-6am PT

Kineta - Apr 22

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 22, 8:10 PM

» New Site Update: Peak Anime 🗻 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Mar 31

213 by Lancelot73 »»
Apr 21, 4:28 AM

» Heavenly Easter Delusion: Devil and Dolce ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 27

3332 by Terra_strong »»
Apr 17, 8:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.