Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2021 12:06 AM
Jul 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The finale to the series! I have been a fan since the initial anime came out! After season 2, I again waited for a sequel but to my dismay it seemed out of the question. Years later, I can't tell you how excited I was when I found out there was going to be a sequel. I was sort of disappointed when it was revealed to be a movie instead of a 12 episode anime but at that point I just wanted to see how it ends.

I saw the movie in theaters which amplified the atmosphere of the anime that much more than watching it at home. The visuals were definitely a step up which was apparent in the trailers. The character designs were somewhat different from I was used to from the show but I loved it. There were also new characters introduced to the cast. Since the producers could only fit so much into a two hour frame, the new characters had little depth but it was great to see a new generation.

The whole movie was based around Tanikaze and Tsumugi so characters like Izana and Yuhata weren't too integral to the story. At least, that's what it seemed to me. It was so heartwarming watching Tanikaze and Tsumugi fall in love. The music was also amazing. They paid tribute by incorporating the first opening of season 1 into the movie. I had chills when it came on. It was so uplifting. Scenes like Kobayashi's singing, was played in the calm before the storm, was so encouraging to hear. It's ambience had a message of hope. The ending song was a great conclusion to the movie.

So Lala is actually a human? Does the bear costume keep her alive? Anywho, she was great. Motherly vibes.

The ending was exceptional! It was nice to see that Yuhata evolved her gender as a male to pair with Izana. I didn't expect her to be intersex. Due to Ochihai's cloned experiments, although it might have been too convenient and obvious, Tsumugi was cloned after killing her off. Still, I'm a sucker for these endings and loved that they directed it this way. RIP to all the deaths in the final battle. In conclusion, everybody lives on the new planet they inhabit and peace is achieved. Tanikaze is retired now and him and Tsumugi have a daughter! Will have to rewatch it when it airs online.

9/10
Oct 3, 2021 1:18 AM
Mar 2012
Sound fx made for Dolby theatre plus angela's OP1 is just godly.

10yr timeskip, new student generation, Hamtaro? blonde, Yamano martial arts bro & Inori Minase girl all cool pilots. Glad Norio mellowed out, and finally got his dream of piloting Tsugumori. Nagate looks more mature & less a dolt.
Nagate & Tsumugi ship so strong it blows the old harem away, even Yuhata turns another gender lol.
So Lala & Ochiai were a (600yr old) ship!?
Osts bit different, kept consistent style 6 years ago & improved on the grand vfx spacefights. The intelligent gauna & Kanata designs look even more horror-detailed than prequels.

Liking how they planted all the elements throughout to justify her rebirth, basically preventing asspulls. Ochiai's always have a spare, Tsumugi passed her core thru Tanikaze's airlock bit like ep12, & nematode tech. Funny her cooling ability at the romantic ocean ends up saving Tanikaze. Unsure of new Tsumugi appearance, but easier to get a Hoshijiro haircut now.

Omg Kobayashi singing!? joins the hot granny team with Dr. Yure. Lots of mentions of peace talking with Gauna which could've been expounded, that Ochiai also supports. Kobayashi always seem stubborn, but maybe she's right, that Gauna imitate humans but only for the goal of destroying them.

Could tone down the simulator scene & technobabble, but otherwise great scenes & a fantastic conclusion.

gophercgOct 3, 2021 7:06 PM
Feb 12, 2022 9:20 AM

Apr 2015
don't get me wrong, it's a good show. but man, it is the first time of me that I hated an anime just because my girl does not get the mc P....... gotta give the lowest rating for sure
4th times getting signature banned wtf
Apr 12, 2022 4:03 AM

Dec 2010
So from what I gather this is just a romance finale to the series? Should I read the manga to get the real ending?
Apr 26, 2022 3:21 AM

Apr 2020
It's good but the finale would have been better without this movie tbh. 7/10.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Apr 26, 2022 1:01 PM
Jul 2015
Meritas said:
So from what I gather this is just a romance finale to the series? Should I read the manga to get the real ending?

Whether it is to get a real ending or whatever, you should read the manga ending either way. I'd say both endings feel a bit rushed, but where the movie presents a somewhat openish ending, the manga provides a bit more of a conclusion. It's really just one detail, but I think it could make all the difference. Decide for yourself which one you prefer.

Apart from the that missing piece to the conclusion, I found the differences not that huge. I was under the impression the movie at least tried to cover the main events, diverging slightly here and there, but nothing toooooo big. But it's been a few years since the manga ending, so I might have forgotten or be misremembering some stuff.
Apr 27, 2022 12:40 AM

Jan 2020
I stumbled upon Knights of Sidonia awhile back when it surfaced on Netflix. I fell in love with the series pretty quick and after watching season two I was even quicker to pick up the manga.

I don't fully remember everything about the manga ending, as it's been awhile since I read it. The manga itself is pretty short, so I don't feel like this movie did the series any more or less justice than the manga did. So, all-in-all, I felt like it was the bare minimum of an ending. The movie felt like it was moving pretty fast with lots of quick cuts, but I remember feeling that way while reading the final arc in the manga too.

I really liked the ending song, and the movie looked really good. Like, noticeably better than the first two seasons. Although it's not like that was why I picked up this series in the first place, it was just a nice little bonus this time around.

I still don't know how I feel about Tsumugi route. But, it was nice to see another installment of Sidonia after so long, even if it was the last one.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Apr 27, 2022 1:58 PM

Oct 2020
Just finished watching this and I thought it was superb, I really enjoyed it. The visuals were excellent, especially the design for Ochiai, he genuinely looked nightmarish during the startup sequence. I also thought the soundtrack was outstanding, I’ve been trying to buy the music but I can’t find it for sale where I am. 😢

The final battle was really awesome, I actually thought a lot of the main characters weren’t going to make it. There was one shot of Tsumugi that was really horrific, after all her sacrifices I’m glad they came up with a happy ending for her.

For a movie that looks so good, it’s hard to believe it’s flown so far under the radar considering how much they must have spent on it. Then again, I think the plot would be pretty incomprehensible to someone who hadn’t watched the series. I’m really grateful they made this, it was the perfect send off.
Apr 28, 2022 1:58 PM
Aug 2018
Can someone just spoil me the differences between the manga ending and this please ? Thanks in advance.
Apr 28, 2022 2:47 PM
Jul 2015
GNOATXELELITE said:
Can someone just spoil me the differences between the manga ending and this please ? Thanks in advance.

Not sure, if I remember it correctly, but I think the manga
Apr 28, 2022 3:04 PM
Aug 2018
Dickegrobe said:
GNOATXELELITE said:

Not sure, if I remember it correctly, but I think the manga

I see, thanks ! They should've went for that, honestly I find this movie rather bland and predictable while I had seen that the manga had a surprising ending...
Apr 29, 2022 12:00 PM
Jul 2011
After many years, it's finally finished. I love the ending!
May 1, 2022 10:51 AM

Jan 2009
It followed the manga pretty on point.. tho they didnt put in the after credits scene the manag has.
May 2, 2022 7:59 PM

Aug 2014
really like it...most of the crew were retired and decide to stay.......not sure if it get another season...it kinda like it solve everything...but wait and see...
May 3, 2022 6:36 PM
Apr 2013
Really hard to tell how I feel. Because of the pacing where you have action, calm, action, calm, action, I'm kinda in a bit of a daze.

The confusing part is that I heard its supposed to be different from the manga ending. So admittedly I haven't read the manga so I dont actually know what they did or didnt change.

The feeling I had is they sorta took a full season (or like 4/6/8 eps) and compressed it down into a movie, which is why you have those mood swings and screentime shenanigans.

Only thing I'm slightly unhappy about is how the "plot" was resolved a bit, but well the ending is always the hardest.

Tsumugi is actually really cute. Maybe even a bit too cute actually.
Would be nice if we had a spinoff and/or sequel but that might/certainly is too much to ask.
Jun 5, 2022 4:11 PM
May 2017
The human being is an animal capable of both rationality and sentimentality. Films can provide a positive experience for both forming sides of the human being. That's exactly what Sidonia no Kishi: Ai Tsumugu Hoshi achieved: good in the objective aspects without leaving goosebumps, pleasure and emotion behind. Very good experience.
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
Jun 9, 2022 12:18 AM

Mar 2013
I don't know why but the face structure of Nagate and Izana changed as well as Tsumugi's color is more lighter than usual...

Ochiai's love for Lalah was more inspiring to look forward to coming into fruition than the average and normal ending we got, it was okay for me but skipping supporting characters like that is an atrocious way of adapting a series. The way Ochiai could have explored the memories of the Gauna would be an unbelievable discovery but we didn't get that and went with a simple one. I'm still thankful that we got something like a movie to summarize a conclusion for this series once and for all even if the 3rd season won't ever be coming.

Yeah, a sequel or a spin-off tackling the mystery of the Gauna would have been nice... but Tanizake already destroyed the memory so a spin-off or another alternate dimension/universe is the only way but even that would be a stretch.

Kobayashi, Izana, Ren, and Yuhata seem to have given up on Nagate's love and affection and poor Yuhata decides to change her... I can't believe this...
CrazyButNot4UJun 9, 2022 12:22 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Jun 19, 2022 8:31 AM

Jan 2013
Took me a bit but am I right to understand this Tsumugi isn't a copy or clone like Ochiai was (he cloned his memories and personality) but rather still the same Tsumugi we've been seeing from the start as this was still a part of her Ena.
That would explain why she said "I thought I'd never see you again"
Glad they could use that Hoshijiro placenta to a good use ... though I do wonder what happened to the other Hoshijiro placenta that was used to create Chimera Tsumugi.

Interesting to see Yuhata as a male, from what I've read it was through cybernetic changes but I wonder why she changed, she could've been with Izana either way.

Fantastic ending though, though the time skip of 10 years didn't really do much other than establishing they made some new Gardes and people having aged.
I enjoyed the conclusion of them having colonized a planet and living a peaceful life while Sidonia is still exploring space.

I think it could've benefited from being another season rather than a movie with how little we've seen of Kanata and maybe exploring some more mysteries of the Gauna but still a fantastic movie.

Entire series is just a solid 9/10.
Jul 2, 2022 7:56 AM

Mar 2012
Overall it is a fitting end to the series.

It is a real shame that not many people know of this film, i guess after 6 years of waiting and no longer being available on netflix it is probably why most haven't seen it.

Still it was great, i like the battles, the animation was on point and loved the little romance that was developed.

I feel fortunate, the mech genre is pretty much stagnant at this point so it is rare to even have any mech shows anymore let alone with a fully developed and wrapped up story.
il cherish it forever and encourage anyone to give this series a try.

9/10 Well done
Jul 27, 2022 5:06 PM

Apr 2012
Just saw the movie.

It's really a 3rd season and I loved that. It's more Sidonia, which is what I wanted.

As for the ending, I guess what I'm disappointed about is:

- so what exactly were the Gauna what was their goal, beyond killing people?
- why was Yuhata suddenly male? That was kinda dumb.
- are we supposed to believe that the Gauna danger is over now?

And while I like a good happy end, espcially in a story that often is as cruel and hopeless as this one, Tsumugi getting the Hoshijiro-body just was a bit too much wish-fullfilment for Tanzikaze. Like, that's what a horny weeb like me might dream about, but it's not what you'd put in the actual story. I actually enjoyed the Tanikaze-15m alien relationship. I actually thought that when Tsumugi was burning down inside the sun, that he body would end up in just the right size, lol. That would have still left her with an alien appearance, but a more everyday-szie to live with Tanikaze. Oh well.

Oh, I was super mad though at the scene where Ochiai killed 120 Gardes with his one energy blast. Like, wtf, I literally said out aloud "too many". Sidonia doesn't have that many pilots no the material to recuperate such losses. I guess that's how you know it's the end of the story. Still, so many pilots dying ... and not enough reaction from the others.

Ah, I'll stop complaining, because it makes it look like I didn't enjoy the movie. I really liked it. Mostly fast-paced, good action, creepy scenes, as well as nice, happy scenes. Could have been better, but it could also have been much worse. I'll take this. Now please turn BLAME! into an anime.
If you haven't watched "Fantastic Children", don't talk about "best anime". Thank you.
Aug 11, 2022 10:19 AM
Dec 2017
did... did yuhata turn into a dude??? wtf? all that gender switching shit was hella weird, bro just grew a pair of tits and other girls just disintegrated. off putting to say the least.

and how come the whole 'what are the guana saying? maybe theyre just misunderstood? if only we could communicate with them' didnt pan out. that was what hoshijiro wanted and they were just like, nah fuck em. i really thought he would let ochiai live because of that.

also tsumugi has the personality of a literal 5 yr old...
Sep 12, 2022 9:48 PM

Dec 2018
Narutobi_Sensei said:
did... did yuhata turn into a dude??? wtf? all that gender switching shit was hella weird, bro just grew a pair of tits and other girls just disintegrated. off putting to say the least.

and how come the whole 'what are the guana saying? maybe theyre just misunderstood? if only we could communicate with them' didnt pan out. that was what hoshijiro wanted and they were just like, nah fuck em. i really thought he would let ochiai live because of that.

also tsumugi has the personality of a literal 5 yr old...

yuhata turned into a boy after being rejected.
yeah they never followed that thread really.
and tsumugi is the worst character in the show.
the whole creepy weird "love" story felt so forced the show would have been way better. at the point i can only give the movie a 6.5 maybe for everything else. this show did not need a love story, or a harem, i'd rather see more character development and lore, and some attempts at interaction with guana.
it made a good show bad.
Sep 18, 2022 12:11 PM

Jun 2017
Rewatched the first two seasons just to watch this movie. Animation in this movie looks clearly better and spectacular. Sound effects are as good as in the previous seasons.

I thought that Nagate's feelings for Tsumugi came out of nowhere. He liked Hoshijiro in the first season and it had proper buildup. Even Izana got a lot more screentime with him in the second season and it would have been better to make her the love interest. The author could have hinted that Tanikaze liked Tsumugi earlier back in the 2nd season instead of wasting 4 episodes with Izana. Yuhata randomly switching genders was weird too. Izana x Yuhata was totally forced.

I was hoping that we could get some more info on the Gauna. They just stay as generic monsters throughout the series.

The mecha fights were total eyecandy especially the final fight near the star. That alone makes it worth the watch at least even though the rest of it was somewhat of a letdown.
Sep 23, 2022 9:41 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally, finally got around to watchin this. I have always been a big fan of Tsutomi Nihei and love his work. Sidonia works as a great gateway into his crazy world and ideas. And I thought that the first couple of seasons of Sidonia were pretty well done despite the weird animation that Polygon uses.

I hated that the ending to the story came out as a movie instead of a series, but on the other hand it meant a bigger budget and better/more fluid animation and designs. And boy are the battles absolutely amazing. Sidonia has always had some of the best sound designs of any show out there, but in this one it's just a level above. Do yourself a favour and watch witha good surround system or quality headphones and a DAC. Crazy sound.

The manga had a bit of a rushed ending, and the film kinda of chose to put a lot of focus on the romance...which is a bit of an acquired taste to say the least. If you cannot accept the main ship it ends with, you'll hate this film.

I'm hoping that they eventually release this as a series with some extra animation. It deserves to be better known.

"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 8, 2022 12:37 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
disappointed!!!

It was a correct film, entertaining but without merit to remember! kekeke

5/10 and thnaks
Jan 12, 2023 8:37 PM
Sep 2014
La humanidad al borde de la extinción en el espacio dentro de una pistola gigante terminó con la mejor confesión de amor de la historia (que 15 metros de altura no te separen del amor) mucha acción y robots. Estelar la verdad 10 ramiros de 10. No me leí el manga igual, la reseña queda pendiente a modificación pero a nivel personal llega a un nivel de satisfacción que pocas veces alcanzo al terminar algo.
Jan 16, 2023 2:48 PM

Aug 2018
What a horrible ending. Everything with Izana was a complete waste of time last season and why did they ruin Yuhata with that weird shit at the end. 

More topics from this board

» Anyone still watching this??

GERANSASAKI - Nov 8, 2023

2 by zckfox »»
Nov 8, 2023 4:26 AM

» Where can I watch this?

Kirukato05 - Dec 25, 2021

8 by ZGUEGCHOV »»
May 30, 2022 6:51 AM

Poll: » Do you think the big finale should be changed? (manga spoilers)

raull127 - Dec 31, 2020

10 by nyugvo6 »»
Dec 9, 2021 6:28 AM

» It Lives as a Movie!

64BitRatchet - Jul 2, 2020

17 by Kendoka76 »»
Aug 8, 2021 1:54 PM

» English Sub

SevWren - Jun 5, 2021

1 by Seiidou »»
Jun 5, 2021 3:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.