Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

generic shounen or not depends on how much experience you have watching anime.....

New
Sep 14, 2021 5:22 AM
Feb 2021
Whenever I think about demon slayer a word comes on the surface called "generic shonen",most people think of demon slayer as a genreic shounen means same shounen troops that where used in other shounen anime like plot armour, protagonist aim to be stronger,and always win in the end.but when I think about it deeply I realised that what about people's who not have much experience watching shounen anime,then this is not going to generic for them, because it can be happed that this might be their first anime and when you think about it then it's certainly became great show for them like great animation, bearable story,some likable characters, protagonist feels more human so easy to relate,and those who are annoying they are atleast powerful (zentsu I am taking about you) .
Ratings doesn't matter only enjoyment does.
Masterpiece or mid, generic or fresh,best or worst are all subjective
Eren is goat,and aot is still a masterpiece (eg.subjective opinion)

Sep 14, 2021 5:40 AM
Feb 2021
I think this show is the equivalent of a marvel movie in anime.It has cool fight scenes and an entraining story,nothing more than that
Sep 14, 2021 5:43 AM
Aug 2021
I agree with you, it may be generic to some people but not to others. And I think it’s much more enjoyable to those new viewers since they have the full experience without a thinking “wow this is so basic” instead they just enjoy it.
Sep 14, 2021 6:02 AM
Jul 2018
All Shounen is Mid
Only JoJo and Dragon Ball are Good

One Piece comes next

Hajime No Ippo is a Masterpiece

HunterXHunter and Gintama are just Impeccable
Sep 14, 2021 6:08 AM
May 2021
I think another large factor is if the Amazing animation and great fights can make up for the lack of story and character.
Sep 14, 2021 6:49 AM
Jul 2021
While DS is undeniably a generic anime, that does bot mean it’s bad, cuz it just isn’t. DS does what it needs to do really well regardless of people loving to hate on it. The manga had great development, story and character wise, a very questionable ending, but an ending shouldn’t be the main focus of a series, I feel like the journey is much more important than the conclusion, and the journey of DS wasn’t anything new or unique, but regardless it was very enjoyable.
Sep 14, 2021 6:54 AM
Aug 2021
It was my first anime when getting properly back into it. I thought it was great at the time but when i think back to it there wasnt anything too special.
Sep 14, 2021 6:56 AM
Jun 2021
shivamrajput958 said:
Whenever I think about demon slayer a word comes on the surface called "generic shonen",most people think of demon slayer as a genreic shounen means same shounen troops that where used in other shounen anime like plot armour, protagonist aim to be stronger,and always win in the end.but when I think about it deeply I realised that what about people's who not have much experience watching shounen anime,then this is not going to generic for them, because it can be happed that this might be their first anime and when you think about it then it's certainly became great show for them like great animation, bearable story,some likable characters, protagonist feels more human so easy to relate,and those who are annoying they are atleast powerful (zentsu I am taking about you) .
i kinda agree with you but demon slayer has terrible characters, some characters only have 1 trait LMAO
Sep 14, 2021 6:57 AM
Jun 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

watch more shounen if you think that all shounen are mid,and this is coming from a seinen fanboi
Sep 14, 2021 7:02 AM
Jun 2021
Amin_M_Z said:
I think this show is the equivalent of a marvel movie in anime.It has cool fight scenes and an entraining story,nothing more than that
so your f*cking telling me that you think demon slayer is like avengers endgame???!!
Sep 14, 2021 7:03 AM
Jun 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

we should be friends this is the second time I’ve seen you and your opinions are glorious
Sep 14, 2021 7:15 AM

Feb 2021
well , it's came out in 2019 and before that 20-30 shounen similar shounen came so thats why it's generic imo doesn't matter on the person
Open to stealing your signature
Sep 14, 2021 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
Askechadd79 said:
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

watch more shounen if you think that all shounen are mid,and this is coming from a seinen fanboi

I've been recently watching a lot of hidden gems lost to time like Area 88, Ergo Proxy etc.
Sep 14, 2021 7:43 AM
Jan 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

Ok I've seen few of shounen ( except one piece) and now currently watching hxh . I don't actually get the hype around the show . Ofc yorknew arc was good but rest are all very slow paced and kind off boring sometimes ( chimera ant arc starting , greed island and exam arc ) many define the show as modern masterpiece . Why so much hype?
Sep 14, 2021 7:47 AM
Jun 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
Askechadd79 said:

I've been recently watching a lot of hidden gems lost to time like Area 88, Ergo Proxy etc.
you didn't include yu yu hakusho,mob psycho, death note, chainsaw man,fmab and many others in your first comment :(
Sep 14, 2021 8:05 AM
Jul 2018
Askechadd79 said:
Aerosmith224 said:

you didn't include yu yu hakusho,mob psycho, death note, chainsaw man,fmab and many others in your first comment :(

I forgot ๐Ÿ˜†
Chainsaw Man is just Dark Shounen
Death Note is Mystery

I was talking about Battle Shounens
Sep 14, 2021 8:06 AM
Jul 2018
Aastik_V said:
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

Ok I've seen few of shounen ( except one piece) and now currently watching hxh . I don't actually get the hype around the show . Ofc yorknew arc was good but rest are all very slow paced and kind off boring sometimes ( chimera ant arc starting , greed island and exam arc ) many define the show as modern masterpiece . Why so much hype?

Because it's deep and is completely unique from other Conventional or Generic Shounen
Sep 14, 2021 8:14 AM
Jan 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
Aastik_V said:

Because it's deep and is completely unique from other Conventional or Generic Shounen
Aerosmith224 said:
Aastik_V said:

What's deep tho? .......
Sep 14, 2021 9:11 AM
Apr 2020
shivamrajput958 said:

When rating something you compare it to other media you have seen. A show can be seen as generic only in comparison to other shows. If you show demon slayer to someone who has no experience in anime or movies then they won't find it generic, but if they continue to experience that media, as in, watching more anime/movies, there's a possibility that they might find that show not as good as the first time they watched it when they come back and watch it a second time after watching more shows.
Sep 14, 2021 9:30 AM
Feb 2021
RW_Rust said:
shivamrajput958 said:

When rating something you compare it to other media you have seen. A show can be seen as generic only in comparison to other shows. If you show demon slayer to someone who has no experience in anime or movies then they won't find it generic, but if they continue to experience that media, as in, watching more anime/movies, there's a possibility that they might find that show not as good as the first time they watched it when they come back and watch it a second time after watching more shows.
same happened to me when I watched Sao for first time it's look awesome but when I re-watch it after exploring more it was like nothing special

Sep 14, 2021 9:45 AM
Aug 2021
Haven't watched shounen apart from this but from what you've explained I don't think it's generic. The fight seens are extremely enjoyable compared to movies and other anime and there's a lot story to it(good story) so yeh that's what I think
Sep 14, 2021 9:50 AM

May 2021
I feel like I’m in the Twilight Zone lmao. Every single day, without fail, this same exact post is made. Doesn’t this website tell you to make sure your topic hasn’t already been done before posting? Sing a new song, please.
My Candies:

Bonus:
Sep 14, 2021 9:52 AM

May 2021
Kinda agree it was one of the first anime I watched was a brilliant anime, but after watching many animes it doesn't feel so good
Sep 14, 2021 11:53 AM

Aug 2019
I liked Kimetsu no Yaiba, but clichés are clichés regardless of experience.

Like that irrelevant, unrelated to the plot loud sound jumpscare in horror movies. It might be your first horror movie, but it's still a overused, annoying, lame way to keep the audience on edge.

The moment KnY used THAT ONE retarded overused shounen asspull, it completely lost me.

Then you get one of the most annoying anime sidekicks ever (he's the same in the movie, at this point I'm losing all hope for the mangaka to fix him) on top of that.
Sep 14, 2021 3:36 PM
Feb 2021
Akshat1311 said:
well , it's came out in 2019 and before that 20-30 shounen similar shounen came so thats why it's generic imo doesn't matter on the person
I mean it's genreic but at the person who doesn't watch any shounen before doesn't feel it generic,it was going to be whole new experience for him

Sep 14, 2021 3:39 PM
Feb 2021
AiNoMukidashi said:

Like that irrelevant, unrelated to the plot loud sound jumpscare in horror movies. It might be your first horror movie, but it's still a overused, annoying, lame way to keep the audience on edge.

The moment KnY used THAT ONE retarded overused shounen asspull, it completely lost me.

Then you get one of the most annoying anime sidekicks ever (he's the same in the movie, at this point I'm losing all hope for the mangaka to fix him) on top of that.
manga is already over so he(mangaka) can't fix him even if he get god powers lol

Sep 14, 2021 3:46 PM

Aug 2019
shivamrajput958 said:
AiNoMukidashi said:

manga is already over so he(mangaka) can't fix him even if he get god powers lol

Well that sucks.
Here's hoping the director fixes him, tho. After all, I'm pretty sure most of my issues with him are because of the anime. Hell, maybe manga Zenitsu is likeable.
Sep 14, 2021 3:52 PM
Feb 2021
AiNoMukidashi said:
shivamrajput958 said:

Well that sucks.
Here's hoping the director fixes him, tho. After all, I'm pretty sure most of my issues with him are because of the anime. Hell, maybe manga Zenitsu is likeable.
I mean he's likable when fighting but not when screaming and if you think about likable then he is very much likable and important character in manga just wait and watch there are more zenitsu moments are coming believe me

Sep 15, 2021 1:25 AM
Apr 2020
Generic Shonen in my opinion
Sep 15, 2021 5:17 AM

Oct 2020
It's pretty good, but i wouldn't say it's one of the best anime out there. At least compered to a lot of other shonen. I enjoyed tge fights, the charecters, and nezuko is kinda kawaii ;)
It's pretty good but not the best show out there :/
Sep 15, 2021 5:24 AM
Jul 2020
This show isn't ground breaking, earth shattering or anything like that, it's just a decent story with decent characters. Another great thing the mangaka did was end it when it was over instead of dragging it. So it's pretty decent and Ufotable's animation gave it a boost. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less
Sep 15, 2021 11:17 AM
Nov 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
Whenever I think about demon slayer a word comes on the surface called "generic shonen",most people think of demon slayer as a genreic shounen means same shounen troops that where used in other shounen anime like plot armour, protagonist aim to be stronger,and always win in the end.but when I think about it deeply I realised that what about people's who not have much experience watching shounen anime,then this is not going to generic for them, because it can be happed that this might be their first anime and when you think about it then it's certainly became great show for them like great animation, bearable story,some likable characters, protagonist feels more human so easy to relate,and those who are annoying they are atleast powerful (zenitsu I am taking about you) .
my older sister watched demon slayer its her first anime and she dosent want to watch any other anime it happened to me too demon slayer is one of my first animes lol
Sep 15, 2021 11:22 AM

Sep 2014
Aastik_V said:
Aerosmith224 said:

Aerosmith224 said:

What's deep tho? .......

There's nothing deep or unique lol. Don't listen to fanboi.
Sep 15, 2021 11:25 AM
Dec 2020
shivamrajput958 said:
plot armor isnt a a trope
Deathlydash
Sep 15, 2021 9:05 PM
Nov 2016
AiNoMukidashi said:

If you are talking about Zenitsu then yeah, Kimetsu no Yaiba got really shitty for me once that mother fucker appeared, I just can't stand loud, obnoxious, retarded characters that does nothing but ear rape you.
Sep 15, 2021 9:32 PM
Nov 2020
It's a high 7 or. Low 8
Sep 15, 2021 11:13 PM
Mar 2021
I have not seen many shonen but I can still see it's a pretty formulaic shonen action because shonen action series follow roughly the same story beats as a lot of Western heroic stories. if you have any familiarity with story tropes, Demon Slayer is trope city. Nezuko is the most interesting thing, and she's asleep or in the box for large stretches of the story, and aside from a few beats she's not THAT important until the Rui fight/Hashira meeting.

it sure looks amazing though, and that's enough to get it a pretty positive score. the fights are nothing special but they look pretty and the music's great, and the voice acting's really solid. I chose sub over dub after listening to a little of both because Tanjiro's Japanese actor is so much more appropriate than the dub actor.

but story and writing are its biggest weaknesses.
Sep 15, 2021 11:21 PM

Jun 2020
Okay but its still generic for me
Sep 15, 2021 11:22 PM
Jul 2018
I've watched shounen anime ever since I was a kid. And while Demon Slayer does have some tropes and themes that are pretty similar to most other shounen anime, I think it has some interesting aspects. I don't think it's a matter of experience moreso than it is personal taste. Because even the most ardent haters of shounen anime tend to like a few shounen as well that are not too different in tropes and themes as other shounen anime (ex: HxH, MHA, AOT, etc.). But they always come up with some explanation with how they're supposedly different from "generic shounen." All similarities lie in the framework.
removed-userSep 15, 2021 11:37 PM
Sep 15, 2021 11:27 PM

Feb 2020
Idk man, I have watched 321 shonen. I will still keep demon slayer higher than whatever shonen other people like unless we are sharing favorites or top anime.

I kind of think u are thinking too hard to cope up with the reality of people can have different taste
Click for a anime mashup!
BIO
Still not gone bandwagon u, keep crying. Here u are welcome to CRINGE at my EXISTENCE

Sep 16, 2021 4:30 AM

Feb 2021
Yeah of course. Someone who has watched a lot of anime like me finds Demon Slayer to be a generic shounen, the story and characters too mediocre as a shounen anime
Sep 16, 2021 1:29 PM
Aug 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

Saying gems =) I truly appreciate your opinion whenever I see it
I NEAD TO KNOW WHY DOES BEATRICE DO THAT …….
Sep 16, 2021 1:37 PM
Aug 2021
I hate when people start shitting on something and say it is “generic”
IMHO I don’t see every generic to be bad , some generic and much used stories can be done in a way that makes them more creative and worth .
Writing quality differ even the man Idea is same ,
While people would say this particular anime is a generic,I would look into how well written the characters are and how the well written the world is , what is the quality that this particular show puts into it’s genres.

Yeah most shonen have the same standards ( a villain - let’s win ) , If this particular rule is done well , then you will get a true masterpiece
Sep 16, 2021 1:40 PM
Aug 2021
Tekainu said:
While DS is undeniably a generic anime, that does bot mean it’s bad, cuz it just isn’t. DS does what it needs to do really well regardless of people loving to hate on it. The manga had great development, story and character wise, a very questionable ending, but an ending shouldn’t be the main focus of a series, I feel like the journey is much more important than the conclusion, and the journey of DS wasn’t anything new or unique, but regardless it was very enjoyable.

True I hate when people start saying generic story or whatever = bad
While there are many other factors like characters writing , developed.. etc
Sep 17, 2021 2:48 AM

Mar 2021
shivamrajput958 said:
I totally agree with you....... That's the reason I don't rate something low just because it is generic..... If a show is entertaining it deserves it's praise

๐“œ๐“ช๐”‚๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐”€๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ญ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ต๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช๐“ผ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ ๐“ถ๐“ฎ๐“ถ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ฒ๐“ฎ๐“ผ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ป๐“ผ๐“ฎ๐“ต๐“ฟ๐“ฎ๐“ผ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ ๐“ฎ๐“ช๐“ฌ๐“ฑ ๐“ธ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ซ๐“ฎ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฎ ๐”€๐“ฎ ๐“ด๐“ท๐“ฎ๐”€ ๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ๐”€๐“ฎ ๐”€๐“ธ๐“พ๐“ต๐“ญ๐“ท'๐“ฝ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ธ๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ช๐“ท๐”‚ ๐“ถ๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ฎ
Sep 17, 2021 1:25 PM
Jul 2021
Aerosmith224 said:
All Shounen is Mid

One Piece comes next

Dragon Ball cringe
Oct 6, 2021 4:04 PM

Aug 2013
It's not about an anime experience in terms of quantity. It's about a quality and focus on diversity in terms of genres and eras of anime. If someone obsessed with typical heroic teenage anime then Demon Slayer will be great for such person just like its total equivalents like Jujutsu Kaisen, My Hero Academia or Chainsaw-man (didn't even read a manga but already know how bad it will be due worthless overhype).
Oct 13, 2021 1:01 PM

Jun 2016
shivamrajput958 said:

Generic Shounen doesn't mean it's bad or how much anime you have watched but a lot of times people miss things when they are shown the perfect execution of a manga which is KNY as hands down KNY got the best treatment as any manga can get, but since people are busy watching it's amazing animation and music very few tend to catch on it's story and it's character and to an extent it is just mediocre and that doesn't make KNY bad show but it fails to deliver the impact as everyone say it has, like saying show got no plot armour or plot holes and it's the best piece of story written but it's not the case. As manga legit failed to expand upon characters and there are lot of question unanswered or left out.

And thing is most shounens are generic but it doesn't make them bad but sadly they are just overrated.
Someone who is watching anime just for the fights and music will love KNY and same way JJK.

If show is entertaining then good rate it well but then most of the times shonen anime are entertaining does that mean they are all good, SAO is also very entertaining but it's braindead, we can praise it but surely won't say it's a masterpiece but if you want to do it then all power to you.

People compare shows when they are watching too many of these and when shows strike similarity it's generic for them, like the recent example of south korean drama squid games as it's a good show and anyone who never watched something like that will love it but for anyone who watched As the Gods Will, Kaiji, Alice in Borderland will say it's generic show and overrated. Doesn't mean it's bad but it doesn't have any uniqueness to it.
Tats_Spill_TeaOct 13, 2021 1:05 PM
2023 might be the year where I will be happy. This year is not happy year.

More topics from this board

» I don't get it

n0tSamir - Jul 7, 2023

34 by guts4ever »»
Yesterday, 12:44 PM

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

19 by Naveen6662246 »»
Yesterday, 11:46 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2019

272 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 20, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 20, 2019

282 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 19, 11:49 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2019

316 by CicadaRex »»
Apr 18, 12:11 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.