Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Sep 11, 2021 6:48 PM
Oct 2018
Are we like supposed to feel bad for him? This guy is straight up a menace to society that needs to be put down. There is like nooooo way he can ever "change" from his ways. I never thought I'd see a batshit crazy character in MHA but Shig takes the cake.
Sep 11, 2021 7:02 PM

Jul 2013
My god I'm almost lost for words. This was by far the most horrific and shocking episode I've seen so far in BNHA. I got shivers by how intense this got at the end, especially the scene with Shigarakis dog and sister, holy shit.

But this explains why Shigaraki ended up being the person he's now, at least for the most part. There's obviously no guarantee this wouldn't have happened any time later in his life, even if his father wasn't such an idiot, but it certainly speed up the circumstances Shigaraki went through. The sad part about it is the fact that Shigaraki thought everybody hated him, even if this wasn't the case at all. Just the scene where his "mother" was crumbling and still trying to reach him showed how much she loved him.

Just because of this I almost forgot what happened at the beginning of this episode lol. Just kidding. So Re-Destros quirk is about stress and as more stress he's under as stronger he gets, which is also why his skin is getting so dark. After he crushed Shigarakis hand I wasn't sure what would happen, but the permanent fights against Gigantomachia made him a lot stronger. And if it's true and he's in the middle of an awakening this means trouble for our heroes.

Next episode more Shigraki and his first meeting with AFO should be interesting. Can't wait for next week.

Sep 11, 2021 7:13 PM

Nov 2016
-shashy- said:
RIP the dog and shigaraki family except his father lol, he deserved that
He really didn't deserve that, no one in the family did, they all had the bad luck that Shigaraki woke his don in a incredibly bad timing.

His dad didn't want for his kids to do something like Nana did to him, Nana abandoned him and then never met with him again till she died, he thought that heroes dying for the justice and keeping out the family was normal, so he didn't want his kids to become that. It's true that the ways he tried to accomplish that weren't the right ones, but I don't think he deserved death.
Sep 11, 2021 7:18 PM

Nov 2016
caliburn1337 said:
This frame is so sad.

A mom trying to protect her child even in a moment like this(at least it's what it looks like to me), heartbreaking.
This episode was extreme, damn. Tomura being a kid couldn't understand the reasons to why his family acted like that, he thought everyone hated him even if that wasn't really the case. I think we can all agree that the bad guy here is actually his father with that dumb rule, this wouldn't have happened if he wasn't so harsh to his family, though the fact that no one really used to protect Tomura(maybe because they were scared of the father) was also something that influenced the hatred Tomura started developing to his family.
In some way, the bad guy in Shigaraki's family can be Nana and not her son, spending some years with your baby till he is around 6 then leaving him alone for the rest of his life because you are a HERO and dying without meting with him never again, might be why her son did make that house rule with his own family.
Sep 11, 2021 8:21 PM
May 2017
This is brutal af. Yadda yadda technical nitpicks yadda yadda but this is definitely my favorite episode in terms of emotions it evoked out of me.
Sep 11, 2021 8:22 PM

Jul 2016
Shigaraki's father is such a retard. Did he even understand what his mother was trying to do by distancing herself from him?

Also, I don't want to be comparing shitty childhoods here but the treatment Shigaraki's father gave him can not even be compared to what Todoroki had to go through. Honestly, I was expecting something more severe than just some scolding and one slap for Shigaraki to go over the edge.

Anyways, fucked up backstory but it still does nothing to give Shigaraki more depth as antagonist.
Sep 11, 2021 10:19 PM
Aug 2017
shane_nichols said:
Oh boy its the victimizing cliche. Another Villain who went batshit over a tragedy. Borrrring!

Fuck did u expect? Some edgy kid with no hardships in life turned into a villain because he watched too much anime? 😂, not everyones like you kid.
Sep 11, 2021 10:34 PM
Nov 2020
Deathlydash said:
shane_nichols said:
Oh boy its the victimizing cliche. Another Villain who went batshit over a tragedy. Borrrring!
it isn't really victimizing

Agree with you. No one is born evil. At least I think so. Something causes them to tilt over to the dark side.
Sep 11, 2021 10:35 PM
Oct 2007
Still not feeling this arc but the flashback saved the episode. Heart wrenching stuffs. Doesn't Shigaraki grandmom looks like one of the One for ALL user?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2021 10:35 PM
May 2018
So he gets slapped a couple of times by his father and kills his whole family because of it, and now is a braindead "muh gotta destroy!!!" villain.

So trash, holy shit. This anime fell off HARD.
Sep 11, 2021 10:51 PM

Aug 2021
mczprk said:
So he gets slapped a couple of times by his father and kills his whole family because of it, and now is a braindead "muh gotta destroy!!!" villain.

not really, it was like this:
Tomura: i want to be hero
Dad: no
All for one: here take a quirk(they didn't show this in anime)
Tomura: die(accidentally killed his family except for his father)
All for one: i saved a little boy and im gonna take advantage of him

It is also because of all for one why Tomura became what he is now. His father, afo, and the society made him the "much gotta destroy" villain you were talking about.
27thEiffelSep 11, 2021 10:54 PM
Sep 11, 2021 11:15 PM
May 2018
Daryllkun said:
mczprk said:

It is also because of all for one why Tomura became what he is now. His father, afo, and the society made him the "much gotta destroy" villain you were talking about.

Cmon, he already had the intent to kill at that point.
"I can't take this anymore, it's all piling up, I hate you all!!!!" before killing them.
Like, he got slapped a couple of times LOL, are you fucking kidding me?
Such a dogshit character and writing, wow.
Sep 11, 2021 11:26 PM

Aug 2020
Holy crap that was brutal. Idc if you don't like that every villain has a sad backstory, but it's better than if they just had a good life and randomly became a villain because they were bored (unless it's Junko Enoshima lmao). I don't really know what people were hoping for??

This has to be my favourite episode of the season. I wonder what the next 2 episodes will bring.
Sep 12, 2021 12:11 AM

Aug 2021
mczprk said:
Daryllkun said:

Cmon, he already had the intent to kill at that point.
"I can't take this anymore, it's all piling up, I hate you all!!!!" before killing them.
Like, he got slapped a couple of times LOL, are you fucking kidding me?
Such a dogshit character and writing, wow.
I already said this and I am going to say this again, everyone has different level of sensitivity and way of thinking, if for you getting slapped a couples of times is okay for you, then good for you. You shouldn't tell people like "what? you already cry? because of that? or "you got so mad because of that?" For me, you're the one who has a dogshit character and writing.
Sep 12, 2021 12:58 AM
Jan 2016
Hmmm interesting...traumatic event that led Shigaraki into his state now...so he is the grandson of Shimura Nana and because of his father's abuse it become like this...my question is who is Shimura Nana's husband?
One for All for woman, it's a really tough responsibility...
Sep 12, 2021 1:41 AM

Aug 2019
maybe that little girl will think twice on false snitching on her brother next time, oh wait; in all seriousness this was a pretty good episode compared to the last few this show has had
Sep 12, 2021 2:00 AM
Feb 2019
You people are insane for tolerating the most pathetic, silly, and dogshit writing I have ever seen in any creative medium whatsoever and I've watched M night's Avatar.
Sep 12, 2021 2:28 AM

Oct 2009
Damn..I did not expect it to be this brutal!
That was brilliant, nice to finally see MHA at its full potential again.
Sep 12, 2021 3:30 AM

May 2012
Now I see why people called MVA the greatest shounen arc.The flashback felt as profound as a Hunter x Hunter episode. I haven't felt this way from an anime since rewatching Phantom Troupe's requiem.

Shigaraki is like Obito, but actually well written.
Sep 12, 2021 5:49 AM

Nov 2017
Bad parenting academia...
No.7 of OFA is the main villain of this story
Now Loading.....
Sep 12, 2021 6:21 AM

Oct 2018
very good episode with Tomora's past and is not pretty ^^
Sep 12, 2021 6:30 AM
Jul 2019
rizqy96 said:
UnBouquetin said:
The episode was ok i guess, even underwhelming for me.
The attempt by the author to make us feel bad about shigaraki's story is disgusting.
Ok he had a harsh life, but it was because he refused to comply with the only rule of the family.
Correct me if I'm wrong but his dad only cuffed him once in his life and it's enough to make the kid go crazy?
You can't and shouldn't try to justify the murder of a whole family by just being punished to go to the corner.
Hope it'll get better next episode.

I heavily disagree, but I don't want to bother arguing because of how different your perspective is. Let's just agree to disagree.

I agree, I'm tired too of arguing.
Sep 12, 2021 7:18 AM
Jul 2021
this episode 23 is so cool and perfect and i felt so sad to tomora. :(
Sep 12, 2021 8:13 AM

Sep 2017
Yeah another tragic backstory but it was pretty well done. Really would be a scary quirk for a child to get. Especially when learning how to control it. Even if his family was better he coulda accidently destroyed his sisters arm or something.
Sep 12, 2021 8:52 AM

Apr 2017
Lmao, 100% deserved.
cunnysseur
Sep 12, 2021 9:24 AM

May 2018
This episode> All the episodes this season combined lmao.
Sep 12, 2021 9:30 AM

Feb 2010
Just a couple more episodes of Season 5! Those last 2 episodes are going to be the ones to see.
Sep 12, 2021 11:19 AM
Nov 2020
Tomura has a great backstory, I recommend reading the manga to anyone who hasn’t to get a better visual of what happened in this episode, the author was snapping on the art.
Sep 12, 2021 11:43 AM
Jan 2021
This was probably the best ep imo, tomuras backstory was painful.

Sep 12, 2021 11:50 AM

Aug 2014
Why did it take so long to reach something this great?!!!
That was an outstanding episode!! Probably the best in the series. I knew Tomura's story would be dark but man, that was sooooooo heavy. Who would have thought the biggest hero would have a family living in despair!
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Sep 12, 2021 12:12 PM

Jan 2021
Without exaggeration this was the best episode this season so far. It all just fit perfectly. And Shigaraki is just so well written as a villain.
Sep 12, 2021 1:09 PM

Jul 2008
Lol this is slowly turning into the Bleach Quincy arc.

Bad guys are getting absolutely ridiculous. Let's make the bad guy an absolute psycho, give him the most destructive quirk ever, oh...and why not give him super strength as well.

Great writing. /s
Sep 12, 2021 1:37 PM
Mar 2019
Daryllkun said:
you're seeing it in a teenager/adult perspective, of course you would think that it isn't enough to be crazy but for a child it is. And I'm pretty sure his dad did a lot of things to him both verbally and physically off-screen, you really want to see it and how many times he did it just to know if it's enough to make a kid go crazy? Also accidentally killing a dog and your sister is enough to make someone go crazy unless they aren't a human. Bro what? They were not justifying the murder of a whole family, you really miss the point of his backstory. His dream was to become a hero, of course, he would refuse to follow his dad's rule or anything because that is what he wants. Would you really stop achieving or doing your dream because someone said you shouldn't, if yes then you're weak and pathetic.

Thanks for unnecessary verbal attack at the end. The "follow your dream" is just delusional and telling anyone this even though you don't even have a quirk ( his quirk wasn't awakened yet) is just harming you by making you continue on a road without any future.

About what his father did, the only thing that were showed is making his kid going to the corner each time he talks about heroes, nothing else. His father even says that he went too far the last time when he cuffed shigaraki. Unless the vn/manga shows more, his father never physically abused of his son minus the last time.
And, don't tell you never got punished by your parents in your life. Did you never get scolded because you didn't follow a house rule ? Because you sneaked up at 3 am to play games? Or because you ended up with a terrible grade at school? It's the same thing. You get scolded because you don't follow the house rules.
Also, it's not killing the dog and his sister that made him crazy. If you pay attention enough, he says "I hate them all" before killing his dog. He accidentally activates his quirk BECAUSE he became mad. He just refused to see the truth in front of him and put the blame on a mysterious villain (kinda like Kazutora in Tokyo revengers). He even felt pleasure killing his dad...
Yes he had a sad life, but I won't be ever be able to feel bad for Shigaraki because of what he did and still do now.

Anyways, some people pointed out that the goal of the episode was to make us scared of Shigaraki which I agree.[/quote]

wow this dude really defending the dad's action. what kind of house rule is never talk about heroes, it's like ruining someone's childhood, when I was a child I am very fan of heroes especially superman and spiderman, if I ever got that kind of house rule, I would be really sad, mad, and might even go crazy who knows. Also, I know that the dog and her sister were not the reason why he goes crazy, I just assume that's what you thought, so I just thought of a counter for it. Also, that wasn't a verbal attack unless your answer for that question is yes lmao[/quote]

exactly this, Shigaraki is just over the top cringe emo selfish baby prick who actually needed to die instead all the casualties he did.
One of the most hateful villains in all of the anime I've watched, I want him to fail hard and lose / begone already.
Sep 12, 2021 3:50 PM

Mar 2018
The end of episode was epic!
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Sep 12, 2021 4:43 PM

Jan 2020
Easily the best episode of mva and my favorite of the whole season by a significant distance. I'm glad they didn't hold back much on the gruesomeness and gore and it really made it seem as dark as it should be. Poor dog :(

Very good backstory and I'm impressed with this episode

Sep 12, 2021 5:18 PM

Aug 2020
shane_nichols said:
because a young character that is evil "just because" makes total sense and is not boring
Sep 12, 2021 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
SouthRzVa said:
Also, I don't want to be comparing shitty childhoods here but the treatment Shigaraki's father gave him can not even be compared to what Todoroki had to go through. Honestly, I was expecting something more severe than just some scolding and one slap for Shigaraki to go over the edge.

Anyways, fucked up backstory but it still does nothing to give Shigaraki more depth as antagonist.

Its not that simple as if its were the slaps that was hurting him. There is a big theme of duality through out shigarakis story.

It was the emotional abuse that was getting to him, he would be punished by his father simply for being himself, then his family would comfort him as they kindly rejected him as well. They were embracing him but pushing him away at the same time.

The duality is also presented in shigarakis nature, he wanted to be a hero and help people genuinely like his grandma, but was also itching to destroy due to his quirk and emotional abuse.

His duality of nature was splitting him. He couldn't figure out whatever he wished for his family to die or not.
Even now his good side is represented in him genuinely caring about his league members.
The conclusion he reaches is that being a monster is simply his nature, his tramatausing past isnt a tragedy to him anymore as he fully embraced himself.
Also he became just like his grandma, he never stops smiling.
Sep 12, 2021 6:20 PM
Nov 2019
This was a Solid 5/10 episode, The first half of the episode was Garbage but you can tell that the at least put effort into the Second half of the episode.
Sep 12, 2021 7:06 PM

Oct 2017
dang, finally a good episode this season. i've never liked shigaraki (nor any of the villains really) but ngl i was crying by the end of the ep. looks like next episode is gonna be another boring one though.... :(
Sep 12, 2021 8:17 PM
Nov 2016
Another pretty good episode, this is definitely one of the best episodes of this season. This isn't the best season but the season is not that bad, it's okay-ish I guess but it does have a couple of good episodes as well.

4/5 for this episode.
Sep 12, 2021 9:58 PM

Jan 2021
I know Shigaraki’s backstory is tragic but what a sick backstory it gives more meaning to him becoming a villain he’s a very well written character this is the best episode this season so far
Sep 12, 2021 10:44 PM

Nov 2019
MHA be showing the importance of good parenting with all these villain backstories.
Sep 13, 2021 1:47 AM

Oct 2008
OMG what a terrifying revelation of Shigaraki's childhood nightmare!!!
5/5.

Sep 13, 2021 4:17 AM

May 2018
Great episode! Shigaraki's onee-chan is top tier waifu; too bad she crumbled away
Sep 13, 2021 5:02 AM

Jan 2018
I knew how dark Shigaraki's backstory was but wow I didn't expect such an insane adaptation from the anime. I think I like it better than Toga's backstory episode. There's one thing I don't get though. How did Tenko know what his father was doing with his grandma's letters though? I always hate it when flashback scenes add on things that the person having the flashback had no way of accessing in any capacity. Looks like next episode will expand on his backstory with All for One so it might be explained there but I'm not holding my breath for it.

Anyways, I think I kind of see the MVA hype from manga readers now. I just hope Bones won't reuse past animation too much as that gets annoying when they do that.
0451Sep 13, 2021 5:13 AM
Sep 13, 2021 5:52 AM
Sep 2020
What an emotional episode,shigaraki is my favorite protagonist now💔,Best character in mha now
Sep 13, 2021 7:37 AM

Apr 2015
Honestly the season might have felt a bit off but this episode completely changed my opinion on it. Goddamn was this such a compelling backstory, Shigaraki became a monster at that age. I got shivers while watching his backstory like Holy shit!
Sep 13, 2021 9:50 AM

Jul 2013
This season is bad compared to the other ones, so I'm glad to finally watch a good episode.
Sep 13, 2021 10:07 AM

Mar 2016
I've been waiting to finally see this chapter be adapted and let me tell you, this ep did excellently!

The fight animation of Re-Destro and Shigaraki was simply better than the previous two eps, just look at the various maniacal expression Shigaraki has and his fluid movements. It's a joy to see really, the chaos of the fight ensues even after both sides retains a form of injury, however...

There is no doubt that the main spotlight of this ep is within Shigaraki, or shall I say... Tenko Shimura's childhood, his backstory, his origins. After all, if heroes have their own origins, so does the villains. It's just as horrific and brutal as I saw it in the manga, safe for a few censorships here and there. The abusive relationship between Tenko and his father is one that has doomed the entire family. Imagine it, they have every chance to build a stable, loving and well-off family, but the father's own selfish belief that heroes are bad because is what incites this entire incident to occur. Just as how Nana, his mother left him, he has essentially left the role of being a good father to Tenko, and his change of character has come far too late... Once Tenko attains the decay quirk, nobody in his family can ever stand up against him anymore. While at first, he thought it was a villain's act of aggression, he shortly after came to a realization of his own power which he eagerly used to obliterate his father and everything he's ever built and loved.

This ep is phenomenal really, but there is 1 thing that made the last part of this ep hits so perfectly, it's the use of this heavy, gloomy OST. The mixture of electronic and classical instruments just brought out the 'evil' of the scene so much more than if they were to use something else. Not to mention the time of execution, specifically when the father saw Tenko amongst the rubble of his relatives, that part is the climax of this ep. The atmosphere is perfectly encapsulated with this goosebumps-inducing ep, it's as if one could get absolutely drunk on the immensely tense atmosphere, if recall correctly, the OST's name is "I don't kill my friends" by Yuki Hayashi

Sep 13, 2021 12:00 PM
Apr 2017
UnBouquetin said:
Daryllkun said:
you're seeing it in a teenager/adult perspective, of course you would think that it isn't enough to be crazy but for a child it is. And I'm pretty sure his dad did a lot of things to him both verbally and physically off-screen, you really want to see it and how many times he did it just to know if it's enough to make a kid go crazy? Also accidentally killing a dog and your sister is enough to make someone go crazy unless they aren't a human. Bro what? They were not justifying the murder of a whole family, you really miss the point of his backstory. His dream was to become a hero, of course, he would refuse to follow his dad's rule or anything because that is what he wants. Would you really stop achieving or doing your dream because someone said you shouldn't, if yes then you're weak and pathetic.

Thanks for unnecessary verbal attack at the end. The "follow your dream" is just delusional and telling anyone this even though you don't even have a quirk ( his quirk wasn't awakened yet) is just harming you by making you continue on a road without any future.

About what his father did, the only thing that were showed is making his kid going to the corner each time he talks about heroes, nothing else. His father even says that he went too far the last time when he cuffed shigaraki. Unless the vn/manga shows more, his father never physically abused of his son minus the last time.
And, don't tell you never got punished by your parents in your life. Did you never get scolded because you didn't follow a house rule ? Because you sneaked up at 3 am to play games? Or because you ended up with a terrible grade at school? It's the same thing. You get scolded because you don't follow the house rules.
Also, it's not killing the dog and his sister that made him crazy. If you pay attention enough, he says "I hate them all" before killing his dog. He accidentally activates his quirk BECAUSE he became mad. He just refused to see the truth in front of him and put the blame on a mysterious villain (kinda like Kazutora in Tokyo revengers). He even felt pleasure killing his dad...
Yes he had a sad life, but I won't be ever be able to feel bad for Shigaraki because of what he did and still do now.

Anyways, some people pointed out that the goal of the episode was to make us scared of Shigaraki which I agree.

wow this dude really defending the dad's action. what kind of house rule is never talk about heroes, it's like ruining someone's childhood, when I was a child I am very fan of heroes especially superman and spiderman, if I ever got that kind of house rule, I would be really sad, mad, and might even go crazy who knows. Also, I know that the dog and her sister were not the reason why he goes crazy, I just assume that's what you thought, so I just thought of a counter for it. Also, that wasn't a verbal attack unless your answer for that question is yes lmao[/quote]

You know that super heroes are just one topic ? Like there's thousands of other things a kid of his age can appreciate : cars, policemen, firemen, space, detective stories, pirates etc...
Nobody's going to go crazy because you can't talk about super heroes.
Also, his dad just refrains him from talking about heroes. If you remember, shigaraki still played with friends the super hero things. He could also just like not get caught by not saying "I wanna be a hero" every second and being a bit more discreet when he's going to play. I did lots of sneaky things when I was younger, got caught sometimes and go scuffed everytime. Did I get mad because of it? No.
Look at his sister. She wants to be a hero too, but she uses her brain and doesn't make it apparent. And it's not like she's 10 years older than him. They have at max 1-2 years of difference so their intellect should be similar.[/quote]

No no no, whataheck are you saying?

"He says "I hate them all" before killing his dog. He accidentally activates his quirk BECAUSE he became mad"

NO BITCH, "I hate them all" IS NOT THE SAME THING AS "I want to kill them all" shigaraki even that one was having a childish common hate thought even, but you already relate it to "willing to kill"

And not the comparison you make with going to the corner, "getting bad grades", they don't make sense because they're self-arguing, and completely different from the question of shigaraki because he lives in a world where being a super hero is something common and a desire common to many kids and his dad just VETED a COMMON wish would never make sense in a kid's mind, especially since his dad's reasons are VERY personal reasons, it would be like your dad to forbid you from becoming a football player because his mom dumped him to be one, is a pointless idea, is completely different from "getting bad grades" or "you can't go out on your own now"

plus the whole episode goes through an ambiguous idea about "does the quirk influence the person or does the person influence the quirk?" so it's not something so simple as "shigaraki is a crazy child"
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

202 by bapaejoget »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

193 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 9, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

297 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

144 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 9:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

118 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.