Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Oct 6, 2021 7:19 PM

Mar 2014
Damn, it hurts even more seeing this backstory animated. And we finally get to see where his scars came from. The parallels to Deku's story are definitely intentional. How a "loving" family could actually create some deep scars in a child (his dad was absolutely a bastard though, redirecting his anger at his mom at poor Tenko). My theory is that AfO slipped him that destruction quirk at some point along the line, then waited for it to manifest and swoop in to "save" him when no one else would. Then there would be even more parallels between him and Deku, both quirkless and chosen by OfA and AfO. Plus, it would explain his "allergies". That whole deal about some people not being compatible with a quirk? Maybe he was allergic to his own quirk...
Oct 12, 2021 5:01 PM

Dec 2015
This season is meh but this episode is just on another level
Oct 14, 2021 2:36 PM

Mar 2019
Well that's so fucked up. Toga's a child compared to this. I like that they actually showed what happened to them instead of just "oh look, dog's no more, he disappeared". Poor Shigaraki. I wonder how All Might's predecessor reacted to that even though in the present she's dead.
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Oct 15, 2021 12:50 PM
Apr 2018
Once it starts, it doesn't feel like stopping anymore! --- The same happened with SHIGARAKI.

SHIGARAKI already felt rejected by his closed ones, especially his father who as a head had everyone under him. The killing of his dog just stressed him to overthink of the possible consequences, and he ended up destroying everything. On SHIGARAKI's mind, "Better Destruction than Rejection!"
Oct 20, 2021 3:53 AM

Jan 2014
I felt like, somehow his dad deserve it.
Oct 31, 2021 11:08 AM

Mar 2017
man...one of the best eps in the show so far. literal chills. this season has not disappointed
Nov 5, 2021 4:11 AM
Jul 2021
Why is Tenko shigaraki's life so sad? After watching ep 23 I feel like he is the best character in bnha
Nov 5, 2021 1:01 PM

Sep 2011
This villain arc is the first bit in like 2 and a half seasons that the series actually regained some foreword momentum again, They should of never taken the focus off the villains cause they are underutilized but clearly loaded with potential. Shiggy especially has had a ton of long overdue presence and the portrayal of the group having this unconventional comraderies is really refreshing I wish there had been more of it.

Maybe instead of dragging its feet on shit like the overhaul arc we could of gotten more development with these guys as a main threat, cause as good as this has been it feels like its only now, 3 and a half seasons after their introduction the league and Tomura has made any sort of impact. But as long as they don't ruin this momentum and actual threat going foreword they have finally build it can redeem alot. As long as it doesnt make the fuck up so many jump series do of building up a proper main antagonist the entire series only to cast them aside at the 3/4th mark just to shift focus on someone else, which at this point I'm just preparing for cause I'm convinced Shiggy is gonna be the fake out villain and All for one will be the actual main villain, which would be so unbelievably lame even if shiggy was worse it'd actually ruin a part of the series for me. Welp until the series fucks that up ill enjoy the ride.
JizzyHitlerNov 5, 2021 1:06 PM

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 11, 2021 1:00 PM

Jul 2021
Well I found my new favorite episode of the series now.
Nov 14, 2021 7:24 AM

Jun 2020
His dad was hot RIP DILF

I got chills when he said the itch stopped. Brilliant episode!! Ucchi is amazing!!!!! Loved the voice work.

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Dec 9, 2021 2:59 AM
Dec 2020
shigaraki's past is so messed up..
Dec 10, 2021 6:27 PM
Jun 2014
this episode gave me chills ngl, it was so…. i don’t have words for it but i’m hyped for the next one !!
Dec 26, 2021 8:29 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
I see a lot of people shitting on the Dad saying that he deserved all that but then they drool over Endeavor as soon as he won a punching bag fight, double standards all over this community.
Jan 1, 2022 8:44 AM

Feb 2018
Shigaraki's father sure was strict but nor he or the family ever deserved such an ending...
Jan 3, 2022 3:44 PM

Feb 2019
That family handled it way worse than Shoto's family. I thought at the end that the father would try to embrace Shigaraki, but apparently not.
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jan 11, 2022 5:28 AM

Apr 2021
Ngl This was one cruel story to listen to....So that was Shigaraki's family eh....It's complicated really....so complicated....
Jan 18, 2022 6:33 PM

Jan 2013
What a strong episode...Shigaraki's story indeed is a pretty sad one. He ended like this because his powers appeared during trauma, and his little sister damn...
It's normal that he went crazy with all that!

"There is no such thing as an Anime elitist. You watch Anime, therefore, you are trash by society's standards."

Jan 22, 2022 10:34 PM

Mar 2015
Whoa one hell of an episode this was!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 23, 2022 11:12 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
how was he able to take out that tiny phone out of his pocket with those huge ass hands

NO NO NO NO IF THE FUCKING CORGI DIES I'M GONNA- ....... FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKKKKK

"Typical tragic backstory to humanize the villain"? Idc. I think it works. If it didn't, I wouldn't be sympathizing with this character right now. I always saw Shigaraki as a weak character, a stuck-up brat even. Finally, after at the end of the 5th season, this episode has fixed my view of him. This just made the whole series so much better, him being an integral character to this world after all.

...however one problem I have with his backstory is his dad. He is just TOO evil to the point that it's pretty much comically evil. Sure he himself was traumatized by his own past regarding his mother who was a hero, all-might's mentor. He lost her because she was a hero, and now he is against heroes and even forbids his family from talking about them to the point of giving his young children time outs outside in the yard, starving, until they apologize. Dude smacks his kids because they said a no-no word that's not even a no-no word. Yeah unless they can delve deeper into his trauma and explain it better, he's just too much. I guess they HAD to make him too much to make Shigaraki into a thing, but still.

Maybe I just wasn't paying attention at some point, but is he able to control his quirk now? Like how does he drink his coffee without the mug disintegrating..?? Was he always wearing some kind of ex machina quirk-defying gloves or something....

Anyway, good episode, easily season 5's highlight. They should've definitely shorten the joint-training arc to give more room for this Meta Liberation Army arc and Endeavor's Agency (which I wanted more of). It's only purpose was to show Deku's "black whip" quirk and to explain that Deku could possibly eventually manifest all of the quirks from those who passe down one-for-all to him. That and to give us some class 1-A and 1-B interaction. But I don't think they needed to spend nearly half the season on all that, as much as I had fun watching it.

also I was getting excited to watch the 3rd movie since I'm close to finishing this season, but then when I actually went to search for it on my trusty anime streaming sites, I realized it's not yet available and not yet released here in NA. Oh well, guess I have something to look forward to for now. First two movies blew their budgets out of the water and that's all I need

NYANPASU
5700XT

Feb 15, 2022 7:56 PM

Jun 2019
I don't like this, too much pressure on 5 years old kid, no wonder he went crazy. Realistically, such a thing would have already been handled by the heroes. If Nana had entrusted her son to All Might. :v
lettuce<3
Feb 18, 2022 4:22 PM

Aug 2017
Pretty dark episode. Despite the rushed pacing in this arc, I have to admit some episodes like this are really damn good.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 5, 2022 6:36 AM

Jun 2021
i know this episode is not all about shiragaki's past but that's what i remember the most. wow they did good on humanizing the villain and i'm seriously sympathizing on him. who wouldn't go crazy with that kind of environment? for hell sake, he was just a 5 year old kid who had dreams. each member of shiragaki's family had something wrong with them except for the mother, and the dog... it's kinda sad that the first creature that shiragaki killed is a corgi TvT i wonder how he got his quirk though? quirks are revolutionary right? i'm curious about his parent's quirks now and his grandma who's a hero.
Aug 3, 2022 7:23 PM

Jun 2014
His father was a horrible person, but that being said, even if his father wasn't like that, Shigaraki's quirk is so dangerous, that he probably would've accidentally killed his entire family anyway.

That was certainly disturbing to watch. :(

Sep 22, 2022 12:44 PM
Mar 2022
Amazing backstory in the end
Oct 10, 2022 7:02 AM

Oct 2018
Good episode, line art is thick, always love the episodes that try to replicate Umakoshi even though it doesn't necessarily come close to him. Backstory is decent, nothing special but does the job well. Really feel bad for the mother. Next episode is the climax.
Oct 25, 2022 12:00 PM
Aug 2013
That was messed up 0.0
Oct 29, 2022 9:38 AM

Aug 2015
It was one of the most tragic episodes of all time, very sad tragedy with the family, but it was still necessary to see the backstory of Shigaraki who is one of the greatest characters both in appearance and personality
Nov 28, 2022 11:44 PM
Jun 2021
This episode was really something else. I always had a soft corner for Shigoraki. I knew his origin was not gonna be a pleasant one. But oh boy, I never expected it to be this dark.

Shigoraki, like any other kid wanted to be a hero. But his upbringing was not really supportive. The main reason behind Shigoraki's despair is mainly because of his father. That man was an absolute jerk. The hatred that he had towards his mother was also pointless. He should've been proud of what her mother did and how much she loved him. But that man always hated his mother. This hatred is the root of everything. Because of that, he treated his son like a shit. His pointless and harsh behavior had put shigoraki in a very dark spot. Shigoraki's family was also against this, but they didn't say anything strongly against his father. In that time shigoraki's quirk started to manifest with this hatred and had become such a devastating quirk. If he got a right upbringing, his story could've been different, and that's what makes me most sad.
Dec 27, 2022 12:28 PM
Jun 2021
[Ok, its good...]
Jan 5, 2023 5:52 PM
Jul 2014
oh my fuckin god that was dark

no wonder shigaraki is the way he is. the fact that all for one found this poor kid with so much bloodlust and hatred in his tiny heart.
such a horrible circumstance. i gotta say that dad was a horrible man to his son. he could've handled that so much differently and so much better. his own trauma brought the worst out of him and that is no fault of shigaraki's. his abandonment issues stemming from his mom working hard as a hero fucked him up. and that is tough since that is the job of a hero.
it's also crazy how shigaraki is related to the hero who passed down her power to all might and let all might exist. small world

it broke my heart when you could see shigaraki's mom holding out her arms to her child in her very last moments. that's so sad. and the poor dog omg

so shigaraki remembers it all now and that's how he powered up i guess? i do think giganti was lowkey and inadvertently training shigaraki to reach this point.

but truly crazy backstory. wow. truly fucked up.
Jan 8, 2023 8:58 AM

May 2010
Daaaamn didn't see this bloody death of a dog since like Elfen Lied, and that says A LOT lol.

Didn't expect that much from this season because the first 2/3 was a bit dull and disappointing, but this was one of my favourite BnHA episodes for sure! With such a dark backstory you can't really go hero road, so villain academia it is... It was painful to watch, but so interesting at the same time. Might be my favourite arc in a long while!
Feb 19, 2023 1:21 AM

Jul 2015
It's obvious kids aren't the smartest so with a houserule of not talking about heroes you're basically begging them to become villains \s
Still poor innocent dog that got caught in Tenko's uncontrolled powers... oh and also his family

Mar 1, 2023 5:17 PM

May 2018
The whole story of Tomura, how he lived when he was a child, what happened, when he killed the dog, his sister, his mother, his father.. he suffered all his childhood.. this episode made me very sorry for him, it was beautiful
 Pin en Wallpapers Blue Lock Anime GIF - Blue Lock Anime - Discover &amp; Share GIFs
Mar 4, 2023 4:06 AM

Jan 2021
Damn this episode was pretty dark and gruesome. Shigaraki's tragic past and origin (and especially the dog scene) reminded me of Elfen lied. While Elfen lied was definitely darker, I never expected MHA to go on such a tragic path. 
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Mar 6, 2023 11:17 AM
Mar 2023
shane_nichols said:
Oh boy its the victimizing cliche. Another Villain who went batshit over a tragedy. Borrrring!

That wasn't my takeaway at all. I think Horikoshi wanted to make Shigaraki's motives a little more complex than "he's evil just to be evil", but if his abuse was the reason he snapped, I think that would've been the sole theme of the arc, or it would've been paired with another story with the same themes. Instead, his backstory was pared with Redestro's introduction. The message I think was trying to be conveyed is that the current hero-centered world is dysfunctional for the vast majority of people with quirks. It tears families apart (Shigaraki's father's relationship to his mother Nana Shimura) and it limits personal freedom (Redestro's philosophy for his organization). Shigaraki's father was abusive; I'm not excusing his actions. However, I argue that the hero glorifying culture pushed Nana to leave her son, which pushed him to hate hero culture, which pushed him to isolate Shigaraki, which made Shigaraki a time bomb.
Mar 21, 2023 8:52 AM
Feb 2020
I was actually very invested in Shigaraki's story, but i am only mad about him being shocked in the moment he should have spoken, i know why he was shocked, but i wanted him to say something so much jeez...
Mar 21, 2023 9:50 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
I can't help but say, his story is not the best out of there from what i've seen with my experience so far. But truly that's his basic of the basic to be the poor villain, thanks to the plot.

Tho its always sad to see those kind of backstory, also reminds me much with Eri. So by that reason, Tenko just met with the wrong guidance guy, name AfO. So yeah, that's the plot reach to this point, the villain side point, Tenko Shimura origin.

Two more left...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Mar 22, 2023 12:13 AM
Jan 2023
o shigaraki e literalmente um dos viloes mais necessarios dos animes
que cara insano
Apr 3, 2023 11:15 AM

Apr 2013
So he's the grandon of All Might's predecessor. Guess he became what his father was, a PoS.
Jun 11, 2023 10:32 PM

Oct 2019
A major problem with the MVA mini arc, which was only suggested earlier but was fully exposed in this episode, is why/how Re-Destro and his gang failed to notice Gigantomachia despite spying on the League of Villains via a freaking satellite and despite the giant's immense size.

From space Gigantomachia would be the first living thing to notice and yet Re-Destro was surprised that Shigaraki "had been training" and of the Giant's arrival? What did he think the League members were doing in those mountains all that time, playing the Boy Scouts?

This was made even more ridiculous by Skeptic's statement that they were "hiding" the giant. Hiding him where exactly, in plain sight? Gigantomachia is way too... gigantic to willfully suspend disbelief for plot reasons. It just makes no sense at all.

On the other hand Shigaraki's backstory was impressively handled; that was the saving grace of this episode. All Might's predecessor ditched Tenko's father and that turned him into a hero-hater and child beater, with the other members of his family becoming passive enablers/watchers. Domestic violence 101. A classic case of a victim becoming a villain...

How one event leads to another.. At some point people snap. It's no coincidence that Shigaraki developed such a lethal quirk. I'd assumed that All for One lied to Shigaraki and he was the one who killed his family. I was wrong.
SharpedonJun 11, 2023 11:11 PM
Jul 7, 2023 1:19 AM

Aug 2012
What. The. Fuck.

My jaw, literally on the ground.
Jan 11, 2:28 PM

Jul 2014
While this arc is the best part of this otherwise-dismal season of HeroAca, I'm not really on board with making Shigaraki a tragic villain after all this time.

Not every villain needs a tragic backstory, it's okay to have a villain that's a pure psycho. And I think it worked quite well having the other members of the League of Villains carry that more tragic weight while being led by a total psycho. I also think being pure evil would have been a nice parallel for the All for One vs One for All battling continuing with the new generation, but oh well.
Mar 15, 1:55 PM
Aug 2018
What a horrific origin story. This villain arc is insane!
Mar 28, 4:39 PM

May 2016
I was expecting a vilain version of Eri, a bit disappointed

The father never derserved that, the kid is really insane.
YurisuMar 28, 4:56 PM
beware of crappy engrish
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2021

202 by bapaejoget »»
Apr 18, 9:17 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2021

193 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 9, 12:55 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2021

297 by WolfWood37 »»
Apr 7, 11:57 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2021

144 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 9:23 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia 5th Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2021

118 by oozePOP »»
Mar 15, 1:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.